Here it comes- kind of an Infinty review that turned into a little Homage for the M- Class ships.

Germancruiser

I just read the post with topic, that nobody wrote an Infinity- Review lately. So here it goes.

What I will write now, may be considered a homage to the Millenium Class of ships and here of the Infinity, which we debarked 10 days ago.

I sailed all Celebrity ships , except Reflection, Equinox, Edge and Beyond.

When I found a 7 day cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale and saw that the Infinity doing so I just booked this Western Caribbean Itinerary. Ideal- I always had a soft spot for this class of ships – Millenium being my first X- ship ever- just when she debuted. My last X- cruise was in 2021 the Maiden Voyage of Apex. ( Not “my” ship)

I purposely don´t go into the ports of call- since they are well known.

This was my 3rd time on board Infinity ( after 2007 and 2012)  so I was curious to see how se appeared now- in her 21. Year of Service! She got no refit, due to Covid even the colouring was not changed as of yet.

Boarding and Embarkation went flawless- much much better then in pre Covid – times. As is the custom now the cabin cards were waiting for us, when we arrived at our cabin about 30 minutes after leaving the hotel in Ft. Lauderdale.

The cabin and in fact the whole ship where spotless. Cleaning and keeping up the cleanliness where constantly maintained. The overall experience was just as it was when sailed her more than 10 years ago. Yes, there is a bit rust on the outside, when you look up from you balcony. But that’s about all can say for seeing wear and tear.

New bedding, new lounge chairs on the open decks. The service impeccable- the quality of food in all restaurants we dined in- just up to X´s reputation of former years- big improvement here. ( a slight – kind of downfall – was to notice foodwise in the last year – pre Covid)

There have been also cutbacks – as I expected. On the buffets lot´s and lot´s of turkey- chicken- no longer 6 variations of yoghurt- just one big bowl of blueberry yoghurt ( must have been on sale, LOL) ! That was not a problem at all for us- but one could recognize those little cutbacks.

What I found out as the week progressed- why so like and prefer the Millenium Class of ships compared to the Solstice and now Edge Class. The cosy feeling- a ship not to small and not to big. A real promenade deck with lounge chairs. With almost every twist and turn one can look out to sea- and is – therefore - kind of connected with the sea- for me the whole purpose of traveling by ship. The shear elegance and style of those ships.

When M- Class debuted each had their own kind of “ Charme”- yet personality, each their own styled Speciality Restaurant- The Olympic, the United States, the Ocean Liner and the Normandie Restaurant. Each their own nod to the golden times of ocean traveling.

Of course there is no rockclimbing wall, not water slide- the list could go on and on.

So, as long as they are around ( with X) I will try to stick to the Milli- Class for the time being!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Loved reading your review…we too have a soft spot for M class but haven’t been aboard recently. Getting rid of the Ocean Liners series of restaurants really was a miss for us.

As I am reading reviews recently I think one’s experience is becoming increasingly dependent on one’s attitude on boarding…If you focus on a bit of rust here or there or lament deeply a reduction in yoghurt choices you will have a rubbish time. If you focus on the full experience then, as you did, you will enjoy your cruise!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I too did a seven day cruise on Infinity, in July, and I said that it was a perfect cruise in every way except for one thing which was the Internet. When they get that upgraded, I will happily book that ship again. And I am just coming off back-to-back on Summit, another M class ship. It’s been a great experience all around

• Like 4

With almost every twist and turn one can look out to sea- and is  therefore - kind of connected with the sea- for me the whole purpose of traveling by ship. The shear elegance and style of those ships.

This a reason we do not like the Apex , and will stick to M&S class ships unless the itinerary and price is right for an E-class ship 

• Like 4

We loved the M class ships, but after last sailing on Summit, will not sail on M class again. Celebrity as is their choice decided to eliminate lots of public space to make room for more passenger cabins and then space for suite exclusive areas.  All from public space, thus you have more people and less public space.   Cabins on, I think it was, deck 3 or 4- deleting areas for meeting/group gatherings, cabins on deck 10, with the eliminated the long/great walking track and aft view from deck 10.  I think they also took over one of the club areas for suite guests too.  

I still like S class ships and hope to sail on an A class ship someday.  We look at public space now as a must item to check off with all the design and goal of cruise lines of the segregation of cabin classes.  I personally don't have a problem with it other than if it takes away public space  Out of sight, out of mind.  Not sure if they still reserve chairs at pool and  seats in theaters.  

I know each to their own.  I can only guess that if you are not aware of how the ships were originally designed, they are beautiful ships.  Over the years, all  I saw was a lost of public space. Infinity was my favorite of the M class ships as it was the ship we sailed Panama Canal twice and around the horn of South America.

Edited by shipshape sam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shipshape sam said:

We loved the M class ships, but after last sailing on Summit, will not sail on M class again. Celebrity as is their choice decided to eliminate lots of public space to make room for more passenger cabins and then space for suite exclusive areas.  All from public space, thus you have more people and less public space.   Cabins on, I think it was, deck 3 or 4- deleting areas for meeting/group gatherings, cabins on deck 10, with the eliminated the long/great walking track and aft view from deck 10.  I think they also took over one of the club areas for suite guests too.  

I still like S class ships and hope to sail on an A class ship someday.  We look at public space now as a must item to check off with all the design and goal of cruise lines of the segregation of cabin classes.  I personally don't have a problem with it other than if it takes away public space  Out of sight, out of mind.  Not sure if they still reserve chairs at pool and  seats in theaters.  

I know each to their own.  I can only guess that if you are not aware of how the ships were originally designed, they are beautiful ships.  Over the years, all  I saw was a lost of public space. Infinity was my favorite of the M class ships as it was the ship we sailed Panama Canal twice and around the horn of South America.

Infinity and the Constellation have not been renovated yet to accommodate suites 

Some of the S-class ships have also been renovated like the Summit so you have to check the deck plan also 

A class ship? Or do you mean E-class, a lot of area is cordoned off for the suites 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the review of Infinity.   I've not sailed her since the TA April 2019.  

I enjoy the M-Class ships but I believe the S-Class (with the exception of Reflection) to be my favorites.  This is mostly due to the Lawn Club and more selection of specialty dining.

I have sailed Summit an Millennium (post revolution) in m-class since resumption of cruising and was not disappointed.    I would sail Infinity and Constellation without hesitation.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

Sailed on M class ships since 2004.  Deck 10 aft is, and has always been AFAIK, the bar outside the OceanView buffet.  Not a walking track.

There are still meeting rooms on deck 3, perhaps a bit smaller but definitely still there.  On Summit and Infinity, Tuscan Grill has been added where there had previously been storage/kitchen.  The plant conservatory, pretty but severely underused, is a specialty restaurant.

• Like 1

I thank you so much for these reviews, we sailed the Infinity her second year and loved the aft rooms with the large balcony. We have not been on her in years and are

cruising in February 2023 to Antartica on her. I was so nervous about the shape she may be in and read some very negative reviews when her Caribbean days started this year.

thank you again for your reviews!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

When M- Class debuted each had their own kind of “ Charme”- yet personality, each their own styled Speciality Restaurant- The Olympic, the United States, the Ocean Liner and the Normandie Restaurant. Each their own nod to the golden times of ocean traveling.

And Murano on S-Class is now the closest to the specialty restaurants of years ago.  Unfortunately, the conversion to Tuscan Grille on M-Class was a major step down.  But I am happy to still sail on the M-Class ships and enjoy the Blu when in an Aqua Class cabin.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

And Murano on S-Class is now the closest to the specialty restaurants of years ago.  Unfortunately, the conversion to Tuscan Grille on M-Class was a major step down.  But I am happy to still sail on the M-Class ships and enjoy the Blu when in an Aqua Class cabin.

Getting to the Tuscan Grille on the Summit is a bit of an adventure. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Getting to the Tuscan Grille on the Summit is a bit of an adventure. 

It can be done, but you have to do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around. Just one or the other won't cut it, ya gotta do both. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

It can be done, but you have to do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around. Just one or the other won't cut it, ya gotta do both. 

Oh yea, been there, done it. At least the navigation didn't require using GPS. 😉

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

Thanks for your Infinity review. Sounds like she’s in great shape. We’re looking forward to sailing with her to Antarctica this February.  We love the M class, but also enjoy E class mostly for the enhanced Retreat areas. Still miss the C class though. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your responses. I agree- the layout when the M- Class ships came out was more to my liking, too- esp. the transformation of the Spec. Restaurants was a huge step down. Even though- i have to admit- when i saw Tuscany Grill instead of the United States Restaurant I thought the room looked really nice. What I did not like - but that´s just me- is that tunnel like entrance. LOL.

2 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Thank you for your responses. I agree- the layout when the M- Class ships came out was more to my liking, too- esp. the transformation of the Spec. Restaurants was a huge step down. Even though- i have to admit- when i saw Tuscany Grill instead of the United States Restaurant I thought the room looked really nice. What I did not like - but that´s just me- is that tunnel like entrance. LOL.

The entry to the Infinity Tuscan is much better than the Summit entrance. I think it does look a bit space aged though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Agree - and then it was topped and made worse by turning Qsine into LPC... 
So the choice of specialty dining on M class became non-existent for us.

Otherwise I also like M class for more exotic destinations.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Agree - and then it was topped and made worse by turning Qsine into LPC... 
So the choice of specialty dining on M class became non-existent for us.

Otherwise I also like M class for more exotic destinations.

Quine was a funny place to eat with a group of people 

the LPC thing 👎

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Oh I rather liked Little Petite Chef- fun when dining in a group or at least as couple. Alone- rather not.

The location of Qusine is terrible on board Infinity. It took the space formerly used either as flower shop or Sports Bar I can´t say which.

Even if you like LPC, it´s a one and done thing. 
We actually liked the location of Qsine on deck 11.
On Constellation, that´s where Tuscan is (Constellation).

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1