The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday October 27th, 2022

richwmn

Prayers for all in need.  Prayers for our country as we make important voting decisions soon.  

Happy Birthday, Graham.  You are an important part of this thread — always providing important and interesting information.  Enjoy your day.  Katherine 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday report, Rich.  A big salute to our, Canada's and the UK Navies.  I wonder if @RedneckBob will have a story for us today.  Not sure how many are black but cats will certainly be celebrated today.  I did visit Da Nang on the Zaandam 2/15/12.  I love the Levant quote but think I will pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Mango Gazpacho, Chateaubriand, and Carrot Cake as served on MS Amsterdam October 27, 2017:

dishes27.jpg

It's a chilly but otherwise pleasant day today, the first day of early voting in Maryland.  Much of my walk will be to our neighborhood senior center where I hope the lines will not be too long.

Today’s care list:

Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall and facing dimentia
summer slope yellow fever shot dilema
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri in ICU after multiple falls
Quaartzite Cruiser DH post surgery fever
Ottahand7 DB with post-surgery complications
smitty24877 cardiology tests
From the rotation:
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Graham
Rotterdam in New York

rdamnight.thumb.JPG.6e40b75a06342d03d283bc360a917bc0.JPG
Sandy’s neighbor Linda headed home
Better than expected EMG report for Cruisin Terri
Aliaschief on Scenic Sapphire
Welcome home Dismomx5
Cruisin Single  (American Star  to 10/30),  and Av8rix (Rotterdam  to 10/30) .  Oceansaway17 (Equinox  to 11/3) , Cruising-Along (Nieuw Statendam  to 11/5) and Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

Happy Birthday Graham!

dog-happy-birthday-memes-73.webp

1 hour ago, Mr. Boston said:

Happy birthday Graham!

57 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Have a great birthday!

50 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!   

It is supposed to be cool and overcast today, but that's ok as long as it isn't raining.  I went and got more small boxes yesterday as well as a new coffee pot.  The old one developed a leak.  I also made arrangements for pick up of some bulky items today and got those to the curb.  Scavengers reduced the load a bit.  All the utilities for both houses have been contacted and we will have lights and water in the new house when we move in.  Today's agenda is more of the same.  

We are definitely in soup and stew season.  Soup is wonderful on a blustery autumn or winter day.  Today's soup is full of goodness.   

Arborio rice is a variety of short-grain rice used primarily in the classical preparation of risotto. Named after the area in Italy where it was originally cultivated, today the rice is also grown in the U.S. in states such as California and Texas. Arborio rice is short, fat, and slightly oval-shaped with a pearly white exterior. There are various size designations, of which super fino—the largest grain size—is the one most commonly used in the United States.

Arborio rice is high in amylopectin, a starch present in rice. Because it undergoes less milling than ordinary long-grain rice, arborio retains more of its natural starch content. Cooking the rice releases this starch, resulting in a firmer, chewier, and creamier rice compared to other kinds of rice. Arborio rice is a little less than double the cost of regular long-grain white rice.  https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-arborio-rice-995971

1527667697_arboriorice.thumb.jpg.928e5934924cc3eea8506ed7308fbcd2.jpg

Our first recipe comes from Taste of Home and is full of good vegetables and protein.  Rice and beans together make a complete protein, so no need to add meat to the dish.   It is a little carb heavy for those watching the carbs.  The good news is the beans really aren't all that bad because of the fiber content.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/arborio-rice-and-white-bean-soup/

1990722609_Whitebeansoup1.jpg.d5b42849331cce5adc3aeee39fda4f1b.jpg

The next one uses different ingredients, but I'm sure it is equally tasty and satisfying. https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/white-bean-and-arborio-rice-soup/

1214895764_whitebeansoup2.jpg.2502276ff750248369575ee741cd36f7.jpg

And this one has a tomato broth.  https://dirtygourmet.com/2010/03/29/arborio-rice-and-white-bean-vegetable-soup/

2056954108_whitebeansoup3.jpg.636c344cec019b9ba26e4978246d8fb2.jpg

Last, but not least, I want to wish Graham @grapau27 a very happy birthday!   Enjoy dinner with your Sarah.   

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.4f3dd56b4ad5e626ceec4a606cbf075e.jpg

Wishing you all a very good day.

33 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning, friends!  It's a nice morning, 45F but will be sunny and 72 later.  Thanks Rich @richwmnfor our Daily and Fleet Report!  I think black cats have gotten a bad rap.  Besides, black cats are some of the prettiest cats out there.  A salute to our Navy members.  My DBIL was in the Navy and I can't him or twin on a ship because of it.  I tell them cruise ships are quite different than Navy vessels in the late 60's and 70's!  I wish I knew a good story to tell today, but I could just read my Kindle where I am in the middle of a novel right now.  The soup recipes looks good.  Thanks Debbie @dfishfor providing the photos and recipes even while in the midst of a major move!  Did you go with the PODS or a moving van?  Best of luck to you and Sis in your new home!  Also think I would like today's wine, but probably not the drink of the day.  Da Nang (Hue), Vietnam is a first time port on the Daily so no links needed today.  I haven't been there and I imagine several of you Dailyites would have preferred not to see that city!  Interesting that we have two Vietnamese ports in a row.  If you have any photos, please post so we can see what we've missed.  😂

Happy Birthday to Graham today!  Have a great day and dinner this evening with Sarah and Pauline.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLcaII2t-CnJ2xiYISM_P6v4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1666870892

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Many prayers to everyone on the Care list, especially to Steve.  Hope your fever stays away and you can get to the rehab hospital nearer to home.  I also hope Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserwas able to get some rest last night.  Prayers also to Terry @smitty34877and her DH.  Hope the cardiologist has "not so terrible" news, and you can work out a solution to any problems.  Best wishes to Tana as well.  Cheers to the Celebration list!  I have only 3 weeks to get myself organized for our cruise, and I am way behind.  I guess because I don't really believe it's happening for some reason.  🤪

Cheers to all of you!  Have a great day!

32 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@grapau27

Happy Birthday, Graham! Hope your new year is filled with love, laughter, great health & cruises!

F9523827-33A6-44F3-AACD-61AFB79F2378.jpeg.c72cd05fe30f04646f8f4b842c07f121.jpeg

29 minutes ago, superoma said:

@grapau27happy birthday! Enjoy your dinner tonight.

26 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@grapau27  Happy Birthday!

4a043a238732be0b07fcf8026802beda.jpg

4 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Happy Birthday, Graham!

Thank you all so much for all your birthday wishes.

I appreciate every single message.

Graham.

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Prayers for all in need.  Prayers for our country as we make important voting decisions soon.  

Happy Birthday, Graham.  You are an important part of this thread — always providing important and interesting information.  Enjoy your day.  Katherine 

Thank you so much for your very kind comments and birthday wishes Katherine.

Graham.

• Like 12

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We've owned (or were the staff for) 2 lovely black cats, Princess and Licker (she licked everything!).  I'm not very good at storytelling, but DH used to tell great ghost stories around the campfire.  A smart salute to all involved in the Navy.

Yesterday I did what I call a "practice pack" where I put everything we need in the two suitcases, then switch back and forth until I'm happy that if 1 goes missing, each of us will still have clothes to wear.  They weigh in at 32 and 37 pounds, and even though I still have to put DH's tux and blazer into them, they'll  come in well under the 50 pound limit.  On my to-do list today is cancelling the newspaper and setting up our credit card payment.  I'd like to have it come straight from my bank account, but the CC is with a different banking institution, so it has to be done manually.  

@smitty34877sending good thoughts for you and DH as you tend to your medical issues; I hope they're minor for both of you.

@grapau27a very Happy Birthday to you with many returns of the day!

@Quartzsite Cruisergood to hear you got some sleep; much needed, I'm sure.  Best wishes to Steve today so he can get transferred to the rehab hospital and you can go home.

I'm not a fan of beans in soup, maybe because my mom never made it for us, but I'll give today's menu suggestion a pass.  As we're eating from the fridge, it's going to be grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are hurting, especially for the people of Ukraine and the senseless bombing of their homes, and cheers to all who are celebrating good things!  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A very quick good morning from central Texas where it is 47F.  I got 8 1/2 hours sleep last night, so I'm running a little late this morning.  I won't know the plan for the day until I get to the hospital.  That is also when I'll have time to read the Fleet/Daily.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for reposting my pictures for me.  We have been to today's port and took a tour to Hue..  i would appreciate if you could find them because I'm pretty sure they were posted previously.  The port for Danang and Hue is Chan May so it might be listed under that name.  I did a quick check and couldn't find them, so maybe my memory is not right.

Lenda

I don't see any photos of Hue on any of your posts, but on the April 25, 2021 Phu My Daily, you discussed Hue briefly in reply to @USN59-79's comment about the Coral Princess.  Here are his and your quotes:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

On 4/25/2022 at 2:08 PM, USN59-79 said:

I enjoyed all the Vietnam pictures.  We have been to the three ports in Vietnam on our Asia cruises and have had varied experiences.  Once while walking in Saigon, Sara was mugged by a punk on a motor scooter.  He tried to cut her gold chain off, but was unsuccessful as it fell down into her blouse.  Surprisingly, we found the people more friendly in Hanoi to foreigners.  Of course, I spent a lot of time in Vung Tau in 1970 and Danang in 1972.  One lasting effect was exposure to Agent Orange resulting in leukemia.  Here is a picture from 2018 while on the Coral Princess to show why they felt we needed Agent Orange.P1000667.thumb.JPG.9b87f2d557e6c97fac2cfab8a59d548a.JPG 

We were on the same Coral Princess cruise in 2018 and enjoyed all three ports.  We were lucky that they added the tour to Hanoi, and we found the city very interesting even though our guide spent a lot of time praising Ho Chi Minh.  From Chan May, we did a tour to Hue with a cruise on the Perfume River.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We've owned (or were the staff for) 2 lovely black cats, Princess and Licker (she licked everything!).  I'm not very good at storytelling, but DH used to tell great ghost stories around the campfire.  A smart salute to all involved in the Navy.

Yesterday I did what I call a "practice pack" where I put everything we need in the two suitcases, then switch back and forth until I'm happy that if 1 goes missing, each of us will still have clothes to wear.  They weigh in at 32 and 37 pounds, and even though I still have to put DH's tux and blazer into them, they'll  come in well under the 50 pound limit.  On my to-do list today is cancelling the newspaper and setting up our credit card payment.  I'd like to have it come straight from my bank account, but the CC is with a different banking institution, so it has to be done manually.  

@smitty34877sending good thoughts for you and DH as you tend to your medical issues; I hope they're minor for both of you.

@grapau27a very Happy Birthday to you with many returns of the day!

@Quartzsite Cruisergood to hear you got some sleep; much needed, I'm sure.  Best wishes to Steve today so he can get transferred to the rehab hospital and you can go home.

I'm not a fan of beans in soup, maybe because my mom never made it for us, but I'll give today's menu suggestion a pass.  As we're eating from the fridge, it's going to be grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are hurting, especially for the people of Ukraine and the senseless bombing of their homes, and cheers to all who are celebrating good things!  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

2 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Happy Happy Birthday. Have a great day, Graham.

1 minute ago, HAL Sailer said:

@grapau27 🎂Happy Birthday!🎂

-M.

Many thanks for your nice birthday wishes for me.

I really appreciate every single birthday message.

Graham.

• Like 16

Good morning everyone. Sam was in the Navy and we were stationed on a Marine Air base in Cherry Point, North Carolina because the Navy supplied medical care then. Not sure if that is still the case. It was the closest all weather air base to Cuba and half the base disappeared during the Cuban Missile  crisis. We were advised to keep our gas tanks half full at all times in. Are we had to evacuate. Thankfully, that never happened. That went out before I was ready. I went back to PT yesterday because I feel slightly off balance and am afraid of falling. We agreed I need a tune up so will be returning in December for a few weeks.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol
I

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 23

Today's sunrise is from the same trip as yesterday's.  On October 27, 2014 I stayed at the Harbor House Bed and Breakfast (site of the NY Harbor Webcam) and walked down to the street for sunrise:

dawn1027.jpg

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Love the beach said:

Good morning and thank you all for the Daily and Fleet report,

Happy Birthday to Graham!

3 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Happy birthday Graham 

Thank you both for your kind birthday wishes.

Graham.

• Like 11

Good morning to all. I will gladly salute the Navy. We have had many family members serve in that branch of the Service. My oldest DB was on a Hospital ship that was stationed primarily off the coast near Danang. I remember that they called it Dodge City as well.I enjoy storytellers and  like the quote. 
@dfish, Debbie, thanks for the recipes. I am always looking for new ways to make soup. Good luck with the move and I hope all goes well.

@grapau27, a very Happy Birthday to you. Enjoy your dinner with your lovely ladies.

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda, I am hoping. Steve is safely transferred today and that he is fever free.I am so glad you got some real sleep last night.

We appreciate the prayers and positive thoughts for hearing about the results of Lou’s test. I am continuing to hope that the concerns are for something minor.

We celebrate our black cats here , there are two outside and two inside.

C1925656-96AA-4EDA-90DF-CF04F62976D1.jpeg

7C4DB599-242D-4BAF-A977-73F4C71CD73C.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

94F18DF4-F005-41EF-842E-013401228868.jpeg.74281b9a100cce5d970f1b54381a1eae.jpeg

Sending special thoughts to all who are caring for a loved one.  It is a difficult job.  Take care of your self too.  The best advice that I received from the nurses when my husband was being treated for cancer was, “Let us take care of him while he is here.  You take care of yourself.  He will need you healthy when he comes home.”

Positive thought to all who need them and best wishes to everyone celebrating.

• Like 24

1 minute ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all. I will gladly salute the Navy. We have had many family members serve in that branch of the Service. My oldest DB was on a Hospital ship that was stationed primarily off the coast near Danang. I remember that they called it Dodge City as well.I enjoy storytellers and  like the quote. 
@dfish, Debbie, thanks for the recipes. I am always looking for new ways to make soup. Good luck with the move and I hope all goes well.

@grapau27, a very Happy Birthday to you. Enjoy your dinner with your lovely ladies.

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda, I am hoping. Steve is safely transferred today and that he is fever free.I am so glad you got some real sleep last night.

We appreciate the prayers and positive thoughts for hearing about the results of Lou’s test. I am continuing to hope that the concerns are for something minor.

We celebrate our black cats here , there are two outside and two inside.

C1925656-96AA-4EDA-90DF-CF04F62976D1.jpeg

7C4DB599-242D-4BAF-A977-73F4C71CD73C.jpeg

Thank you for your birthday wishes Terry.

I love your beautiful black cats.

Prayers for good news for Lou.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

OK, I am back from voting, actually have been for almost an hour.  It was a 10-minute walk to the senior center, 12 minutes to vote and I took a couple of detours for another 20 minutes back home.  During the primary I arrived about a half hour before the center opened but was still the first customer.  This time there were several ahead of me but still more workers than voters.  I was expecting a heavier turnout but I think a LOT of people are voting by mail.  It was definitely better than 10 years ago when I waited an hour in line to get done before Superstorm Sandy.  We now have 2 ways to vote.  The default is a regular paper ballot that you blacken a square.  New this year is an electronic machine where you touch your selections and when all is done the machine prints out a scannable ballot on a blank form.  With either method the completed ballot is scanned and the scanner prints out "ballot accepted" when it is done.

There was also more good news yesterday.  I have Blue Cross Federal Health Insurance with just Part A of Medicare.  Almost 2 months ago I was alerted that they had not reached agreement for covering the major Baltimore System that runs my local hospital, as well as is affiliated with my cardiologist.  Medicare would have substantially softened the blow if I the ambulance took me to the local hospital but coverage for the cardiologist would have been a big problem, and I would need either a different health plan or a new cardiologist.  Fortunately, agreement was reached yesterday.

I have the Auto Train next Friday to meet my cruise on the Eurodam.  I'm glad to be ok for next Friday but if the railroads go on strike November 19 I'll be stuck driving all the way home.

I also went to my Health Department yesterday for a PCR test.  I do want to get a good result reasonably soon before  heading for the ship. 

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

I lost my comments for today.  I will be brief as we are running out of the house.  DB had surgery yesterday and replaced a part in his knee implant and took tissue samples for culture to check for infection.  He may get out Friday or stay through the weekend.   It is never good if you pick up an infection in the hospital.   

Thanks for the Daily Reports and for the Cares and Celebration lists.   Prayers for all on our list and for those cleaning up in Florida and for the people of Ukraine.  Have a wonderful day!   

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday report, Rich.  A big salute to our, Canada's and the UK Navies.  I wonder if @RedneckBob will have a story for us today.  Not sure how many are black but cats will certainly be celebrated today.  I did visit Da Nang on the Zaandam 2/15/12.  I love the Levant quote but think I will pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Mango Gazpacho, Chateaubriand, and Carrot Cake as served on MS Amsterdam October 27, 2017:

dishes27.jpg

It's a chilly but otherwise pleasant day today, the first day of early voting in Maryland.  Much of my walk will be to our neighborhood senior center where I hope the lines will not be too long.

Today’s care list:

Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall and facing dimentia
summer slope yellow fever shot dilema
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri in ICU after multiple falls
Quaartzite Cruiser DH post surgery fever
Ottahand7 DB with post-surgery complications
smitty24877 cardiology tests
From the rotation:
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Graham
Rotterdam in New York

rdamnight.thumb.JPG.6e40b75a06342d03d283bc360a917bc0.JPG
Sandy’s neighbor Linda headed home
Better than expected EMG report for Cruisin Terri
Aliaschief on Scenic Sapphire
Welcome home Dismomx5
Cruisin Single  (American Star  to 10/30),  and Av8rix (Rotterdam  to 10/30) .  Oceansaway17 (Equinox  to 11/3) , Cruising-Along (Nieuw Statendam  to 11/5) and Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

RNB reporting live from the City of Los Wageous! I was told everything would be hot here but everything is cold, especially in the casinos, if you know what I mean. No, that is not my story today for National Telling Story Day. I will call my cruise story,

Kidnapped in Paradise

I would say this happened over twenty years ago when HAL made regular stops in Trinidad and Tobago.  It was our first time there so we decided to go on a ships tour of the island, a three hour tour, not a Gilligan tour but close to it. Apparently since there was a limited number of tour buses in town, the tour provided taxis with two couples for each taxi for the three hour tour of Trinidad. The tour stated at promptly 9 am and immediately the taxi driver began giving us the best he could a description of everything he saw. And I quote, “This is a coke cola truck, this is a McDonalds, this is a church, this is a Wendy’s, this is a Fed Ex truck” and on and on and on for one and a half hours until we got to a park to roam around in for 30 minutes. It was so bad the we decided to request the driver to take us back to the ship early. Well, this did not go over well. He said, “I will get in trouble with my boss if I take you back early.”  We convinced him to take us back to the ship by offering a $20 tip from both of us. It worked, thank goodness. But he complained all the way back to the ship. So we paid a ransom to not be kidnapped in paradise.

I hope this meet the requirement of a story today. RNB back to the slots. 

• Like 16
  • Haha 9

Good morning Dailyites. Thanks to Rich and Roy, Food and Beverage ladies. I would enjoy the soup, but rather have Roy's chateaubriand. Medium rare please.

Prayers lifted. More in my prayer book than on Roy's this morning. 

Our appointment today is a 30 minute drive, then a quick lunch. For some reason I did not get my mail in ballet so hoping the line in Sun City is not too long. 

Our Navy is to be congratulated on their dedication and hard work. My uncle was a CB in Vietnam and my dad a ship gunner.

Black cats are so beautiful. Although there's the little stinker that sits under my bird feeders..

image.png.969688955de1417b780039348d99ea28.png

Here is my short story:

image.png.5f9077cd42e5e9a9d55c6778a95f1b73.png

Sending healing and kind thoughts to each one of our Daily-ites. 

God bless!

• Like 19
  • Haha 5

This will be quick, as the internet is so sketchy.  I am still on American Star.  It is “nice” , but definitely not a BHB!  Would I do this again -  - - -maybe, and maybe not.  I really don’t like the shortened amount of sailing time, activity level of excursions has been sorely misrepresented, and food is so-so. I have enjoyed being with my two friends, meeting the other passengers, the fall color.  Looking forward to our visit to West Point tomorrow.

My step-son is still waiting for pathology report on his surgery.  It has been sent to Mayo - don’t know which one.  @rafinmd, please put him on the rotation.  My prayer for him right now is that can improve his attitude and coping skills.  Otherwise, he won’t be able to put up much of a fight.  

Have a great day, everyone.

• Like 18