Tux Rental

RCCL Fan

Is that still a thing?

Back in the day (before kids) I would always rent a tux on formal night on the ship.  One less thing to pack.  Haven't bothered lately  and I'm sure most haven't and it's gone away as i don't recall seeing it on compasses. 

But I'm doing a NYE holiday sailing this year and I'd love to get a Tux.  Anyone know if that's still a thing?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

Is that still a thing?

Back in the day (before kids) I would always rent a tux on formal night on the ship.  One less thing to pack.  Haven't bothered lately  and I'm sure most haven't and it's gone away as i don't recall seeing it on compasses. 

But I'm doing a NYE holiday sailing this year and I'd love to get a Tux.  Anyone know if that's still a thing?

Don't know.  Dh wears his suit as tux doesn't quite fit. 

16 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

Is that still a thing?

Did you try the website?

Search your Frequently Asked Questions

Q

Can I rent or order formal wear onboard?

We do offer tuxedo rental onboard most of our ships. Reservations can be made online via Tuxedo Rentals. Guests can also make reservations onboard, subject to availability.

I don't see anything current about renting a Tux, and I don't think you can do it anymore. I'm sure tailors and rentals were one of the first Covid drops. That link to "Tuxedo Rentals" in the FAQ's doesn't go anywhere, at least with my browsers. 

Right before the pandemic I bought my DH a new tux, as the one he previously had was purchased for our wedding and no longer fit, as we are nearing four decades of wedding bliss (we were skinny kids then). He always wore the tuxedo for NYE parties as well as cruises.

DH was able to wear his new tuxedo on our most recent Cunard cruise a few times, and he looked great in the photos.  He just changed his bow ties!

Now I bought him a very nice tux at Bloomies, but my SIL wants to buy my nephew a tux for his upcoming HS graduation, and I told her to try SAKS Off-5th.  They have a LOT of very reasonably priced tuxedos that you might be able to wear many times in the future, and you will know that hopefully the fit will be perfect, rather than take a chance with a rental.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I don't see anything current about renting a Tux, and I don't think you can do it anymore. I'm sure tailors and rentals were one of the first Covid drops. That link to "Tuxedo Rentals" in the FAQ's doesn't go anywhere, at least with my browsers. 

Ok, came up for me - must be an old link but I have seen very few people wearing them in recent years so perhaps not worth it to them.

(ETA Sorry not US site)

Agree might be more popular at New Year’s Eve but people probably bring their own.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Thanks 1

My one and only tux rental preorder onboard a ship, Legend OTS actually, was so off in size measurements, I couldn't wear it.  When it was delivered to my stateroom, my 32" ordered waist was actually a 36", my 42 long jacket was a mere 38. It was returned immediately!!!😤😵 

10 hours ago, joeyancho said:

You can buy a tuxedo at reasonable prices at Men's Wearhouse.   $200 will get a nice one.  Which probably the price of 2 rentals.  

$200 to buy a Tuxedo!!! That is the price of a rental...I couldn't by a regular jacket for that price...and I am cheap 😂

4 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

$200 to buy a Tuxedo!!! That is the price of a rental...I couldn't by a regular jacket for that price...and I am cheap 😂

Amazon is your friend + free hipping.  12+ colors

image.png.5aee76e881308f10544379a69b6b82d8.png

Setwell Groom Suits for Wedding 2022 Mens Slim Fit Fashion Tuxedo Dress Suit for Party ST-XZ009  $82.88 - $88.88

$82.88 
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Amazon is your friend + free hipping.  12+ colors

image.png.5aee76e881308f10544379a69b6b82d8.png

Setwell Groom Suits for Wedding 2022 Mens Slim Fit Fashion Tuxedo Dress Suit for Party ST-XZ009  $82.88 - $88.88

$82.88 

Was that in the Halloween section 🤣

• Haha 3

DH was able to wear his new tuxedo on our most recent Cunard cruise a few times

one might mention that CUNARD has and ENFORCES a strict dress code. Formal = tux or dark suit with tie. Informal = jacket and tie is optional (jacket is not). If you do not comply you are not allowed into main dining room or many lounges after 6pm . . .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Is that still a thing?

Because shorts and untucked polo showers are now the preference, tux rentals were discontinued on some/many/most/all ships. You could rent on land and carry with you. DH has his own tux, but has not packed it in years. 

1 hour ago, Capt_BJ said:

DH was able to wear his new tuxedo on our most recent Cunard cruise a few times

one might mention that CUNARD has and ENFORCES a strict dress code. Formal = tux or dark suit with tie. Informal = jacket and tie is optional (jacket is not). If you do not comply you are not allowed into main dining room or many lounges after 6pm . . .

We have sailed on Cunard many times and their dress code is not strict. 

We were told by the tailor and the suite concierge on explorer in August that RCCL tux rentals are no more (we had somehow failed to pack a shirt for his tux, they thankfully found him one in the existing inventory). Thank goodness I couldn’t figure out anything for our anniversary two years ago and got him a new tux and all the trimmings 😬

P.S. They should have a decent sale on Black Friday at places like Men’s Wearhouse or Joseph A banks, although their best sales seem to be around Father’s Day and Labor Day.

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Is that still a thing?

Another Covid casualty.  Spoke with GS on Allure and it’s gone and not coming back.  Very sad, it was a nice service especially for the holidays and big convenience if you don’t want to carry one. 

56 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

P.S. They should have a decent sale on Black Friday at places like Men’s Wearhouse or Joseph A banks, although their best sales seem to be around Father’s Day and Labor Day.

I bought one from a rental shop.  It had some wear but nothing worse than a cruise tux. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Another Covid casualty.  Spoke with GS on Allure and it’s gone and not coming back.  Very sad, it was a nice service especially for the holidays and big convenience if you don’t want to carry one. 

I thought about using the word casualty. But there were actually so many of them, that it seemed rather insensitive when discussing tuxedo rentals. 😔

• Like 2

My husband used to rent a tux and it would be delivered to our cabin with 2 shirts.  He bought a new suit and started taking it. He always looked good in the tux, and I mentioned this, and he said he would wear one again for me.  If you cannot get it on the ship, I don't think it would be worth the hassle, though.  There are always men on board who wear a tux on formal nights, but not like it once was.