Early morning running on promenade deck ( pinacle class).

seaver

Running is not permitted on the promenade deck due to people sleeping/napping in their rooms below.  I would think this would be even more of an issue "very early in the morning".  I know I'd be ticked off to hear the thumping of someone running above me every few minutes in the wee hours of the day.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My goodness, you would be leaping loungers, dodging walkers and stumbling into those that just stop to view the grandness of cruising. Please don't try to run on the promenade. It hurts to be knocked to the deck by someone running.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, lindaler said:

My goodness, you would be leaping loungers, dodging walkers and stumbling into those that just stop to view the grandness of cruising. Please don't try to run on the promenade. It hurts to be knocked to the deck by someone running.  

Yikes - How fast do you think the jogger is going? We powerwalk on the promenade, no issues bypassing other walkers, loungers or knocking someone onto the deck. 

I'm not advocating for allowing jogging on the HAL promenade, just saying they are not as dangerous a menace as you may believe and I don't think it was an unreasonable question to ask. Most cruise lines have only one track, and both joggers and walkers share it without issues. And as walkers, we have been known to walk on the jogging track (and they haven't given us grief or knocked us over for being their turf) 😃

• Like 2

As others have said, no running on the promenade. There are people sleeping below that deck. Also, the Pinnacle class promenade is not as great as other classes. It has areas where it really narrows and has room for one person walking and someone passing would be tight. It even becomes challenging for morning walks if you want to pass in those narrow areas. There aren’t loungers on the Pinnacle class promenade to worry about but the narrowness is an issue. Best advice is to use the running deck up top or the treadmills in the gym (great view up there). 

• Like 5

On Pinnacle Class ships its difficult to just walk on prominade with blind turns and narrow walkways so I wouldn't suggest it, even if allowed. On the older ships with lounge chairs and wider deck, it would be easier but I think (maybe for liability) they still don't allow running. 

• Like 1

On most HAL ships, there are signs which say NO Jogging posted on the promenade deck. Just off the Oosterdam, but did not see them there, which was a surprise however, I saw no joggers.

Seems to me that on the Pinnacle class ships jogging there would be even more of an issue as some of the space is quite narrow.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Running is not permitted on the promenade deck due to people sleeping/napping in their rooms below.  I would think this would be even more of an issue "very early in the morning".  I know I'd be ticked off to hear the thumping of someone running above me every few minutes in the wee hours of the day.

Promenade is on dec 3. There are no rooms on deck 2

4 hours ago, lindaler said:

There are no lounges on the promenade deck

It is OK to complain, but keep it accurate please....

• Like 4

4 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Yikes - How fast do you think the jogger is going? We powerwalk on the promenade, no issues bypassing other walkers, loungers or knocking someone onto the deck. 

There is a difference between jogging and powerwalking and also a difference in how careful people are.  It sounds like you're more careful than some.

I do a lot of fast walking (not powerwalking) on the promenade deck and have seen both.  On our last cruise a man was jogging (more like a fast run) through the walkers.  It was on the NS, a Pinnacle class, and there really is barely room to walk much less run past people in a lot of areas.  

2 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

There is a difference between jogging and powerwalking and also a difference in how careful people are.  It sounds like you're more careful than some.

I do a lot of fast walking (not powerwalking) on the promenade deck and have seen both.  On our last cruise a man was jogging (more like a fast run) through the walkers.  It was on the NS, a Pinnacle class, and there really is barely room to walk much less run past people in a lot of areas.  

Again - not advocating for jogging on the Promenade, but the fact that the OP is asking and wondering if possible during off busy time (early morning) I am assuming they are in the "responsible jogger" category.  It's like the lap swimmers in the pool ,  they know they can't swim laps when people are in the pool, and they look for times when it is empty to get their laps in (first thing in the morning or at the end of the day). I think the OP was just hoping the promenade might be similar somehow, but it's just not allowed regardless.

I've only seen one incident on a Promenade and it was a solo incident. It was during the "walk for a cause" and a young woman in the group in in front of us (they were walking briskly) turned to talk to her friends and walked smack into a steel beam. It was a loud bang to the head. She tried to shake it off, but left the deck shortly thereafter.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tennessee Titan said:

Promenade is on dec 3. There are no rooms on deck 2

There are no lounges on the promenade deck

It is OK to complain, but keep it accurate please....

Thank you.  I'll take your word that there are no rooms on deck 2; I don't have the time to check.  My bad.  But my comment still stands for other ships where there are rooms below the prom deck.  People may refer to this thread even if they're not cruising on Pinnacle class ships.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Thank you.  I'll take your word that there are no rooms on deck 2; I don't have the time to check.  My bad.  But my comment still stands for other ships where there are rooms below the prom deck.  People may refer to this thread even if they're not cruising on Pinnacle class ships.

Just entertainment and restaurants on 2.

2 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Again - not advocating for jogging on the Promenade, but the fact that the OP is asking and wondering if possible during off busy time (early morning) I am assuming they are in the "responsible jogger" category.  It's like the lap swimmers in the pool ,  they know they can't swim laps when people are in the pool, and they look for times when it is empty to get their laps in (first thing in the morning or at the end of the day). I think the OP was just hoping the promenade might be similar somehow, but it's just not allowed regardless.

I've only seen one incident on a Promenade and it was a solo incident. It was during the "walk for a cause" and a young woman in the group in in front of us (they were walking briskly) turned to talk to her friends and walked smack into a steel beam. It was a loud bang to the head. She tried to shake it off, but left the deck shortly thereafter.  

Thanks for your reply. If it's not allowed I won't run. I run 6 miles every day at 4:30 AM,was just hoping that I could run 3 laps per mile instead of 12 laps per mile. Asked and answered.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Very early in the morning both the Jogging track on deck 11 and the promenade on deck 3 may have maintenance or other crew around working or washing. So you may not always be able to jog cleanly during early mornings. There's always the gym treadmills - but those don't open until 6:30 am I think.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

Very early in the morning both the Jogging track on deck 11 and the promenade on deck 3 may have maintenance or other crew around working or washing. So you may not always be able to jog cleanly during early mornings. There's always the gym treadmills - but those don't open until 6:30 am I think.

Yes, usually it is 6:30 and there is a bit of a madhouse between 7 and 8 so getting there at 6:30 is best or waiting until the rush hour subsides

3 minutes ago, albingirl said:

People don't read signs. Just saying.

Seems like every cruise, I see these signs, but still see “That Guy” running for his life on the promenade deck. We’ve got to stop making “This Guy”

Edited by Wakepatrol