RCCL - Profits First. Never Mind Your Loyal Customers!!! Concierge / Lounge Service removed as a privilege for Diamond+

Dear RCCL

We are in receipt of your Members email 13th December 2022. 

What a terrible shame that Concierge / Lounge Service is being removed as a privilege for Diamond Plus Members.   For us, this was the only thing that separated RCCL apart from Cunard, Disney, Virgin. 

We were due to book on Quantum for 2023 (our first since the pandemic) and our travel agent was just finalising the arrangements before we paid our deposit.  We are now unlikely to proceed with our booking on Quantum as a consequence of this change & sail with Virgin Voyages.  

We know there is nothing you can do about it personally as it's a company policy decision but we just wanted to express our real disappointment and the main reason we have always booked with RCCL - we felt rewarded for our loyalty to RCCL.  In our lifetime we would never be able to attain Pinnacle Club Membership status.  We feel let down by a company we have given plenty of business to over many years.  What a shame.

We hope you are able to communicate our disappointment to senior executives within RCCL (not that it is likely to change anything!)

Kind regards

Paul & Mike

Dear Diamond Plus Members,

As we reflect on 2022, there is so much to be thankful for. Our full fleet is back in service and our ships are once again bustling with happy guests making memories that will last a lifetime.

The Crown & Anchor® Society continues to grow as we welcome new members each day and existing members continue to sail. And while we are excited for the growth of our program, we must remain mindful of our onboard operations to ensure that we continue to deliver the award-winning experience you know and love.

One of the published benefits of Diamond Plus members has been access to the Concierge Lounge on ships that lack a Suite Lounge, including:

Quantum of the Seas

Anthem of the Seas

Ovation of the Seas

Radiance of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas

Jewel of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Grandeur of the Seas

Enchantment of the Seas

Rhapsody of the Seas

Vision of the Seas

Access has been largely based on guest count and lounge capacity levels, which are assessed on a voyage-by-voyage basis. Due to high counts of top-tier members on most sailings, we have had to limit access to the Concierge Lounge altogether.

As a result, we have made the decision to standardize Concierge and Suite Lounge access across the fleet. This means that beginning on sailings departing on or after December 16th, 2022, both Concierge and Suite Lounge access on all ships will be limited to eligible Suite guests and Pinnacle Club members only. This change is reflected on our updated Member Benefits Grid.

Sincerely,

Crown & Anchor Society

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PEBTRAVEL49 said:

We were due to book on Quantum for 2023 (our first since the pandemic) and our travel agent was just finalising the arrangements before we paid our deposit.  We are now unlikely to proceed with our booking on Quantum as a consequence of this change & sail with Virgin Voyages.  

You would not have access to the CL before this change either - for many/most ships and sailings, this announcement made/makes no difference. 

• Like 5

Book a suite.  Then you get Concierge privileges.  Honestly, I'm Diamond + also and hate this is happening,  but I have also sailed in suites.  There were so many D+ and Pinnacles in the clubs that there was no room for suite passengers who paid big bucks to sail.  I think Pinnacle should be banned also. Use a space for a D+ and Pinnacle lounge instead.  That way the passengers that pay for suite amenities can actually use them.  

I also won't let this chase me away.  The amenities on the other major cruise lines still aren't as good, even if you make upper tier. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

We have only sailed suites so this is good news for us but isn't there still a Diamond Lounge.  I know when we were on Liberty we would go to the Concierge Lounge and the Concierge spent all his time with the Pinns that were on the cruise.  They had their little area roped off and noboby dared to cross the line.  If you want to get into the "special" lounge then book a suite.  With the huge number of D+ and Pinns they had to do something.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

This just makes it official, we have sailed b2b on Radiance and Vision this year, a small amount of D+ on them and access to the CL was not allowed, we still like to visit the DL as we like the snacks in there and don't want to chance leaving more than 40 mins between eating!

I think I am in the minority in preferring the old HH system, a good tip would always secure a nice drink and one to take to dinner, I find that the drinks at the bars are all ice and sweet stuff.

I wonder whether RCI will eventually go all inclusive like other lines including Celebrity have done.

14 minutes ago, dada2199cc said:

Im 1/3 to Pin and sometimes get similar reactions because I’m known to tip $100 or more when folks go way way way out of their way.

Maybe she’s a good tipper.  Maybe she’s married to an officer or some VP in HR!

I’d be happy to go way way way out of my way!!

First of all, concierge lounge is overrated (in my opinion). Second, you can still use the concierge lounge if you book a suite. Are you sailing a specific cruise line just so you can get some free drinks and sit in one room on the ship? Does it really make you feel that important and appreciated? And do you actually need someone to make you feel important for your vacation to feel special? There's way too many other things to do on a ship to cancel a whole cruise over this. But to each his own.

Just another reason why it's a waste of money for people to chase tier status. The benefits could change at any time, and all of those benefits can be purchased if you really want them anyway. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, poocher said:

In March, there was a woman who appeared to be sailing solo and was a Pinn.  The staff in the SL and CK were tripping over each other to get to this woman.  Never saw so much bowing & scraping in my life!

It could be her Pinnacle Status or perhaps she is well-known as a big tipper!  🙂

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I think Pinnacle should be banned also.

Already are if too many a Sailing, think it's 50, was part of the release. I first made Diamond in 90's we had access to CL, was first on/off Ship also. Benefit's been going away for yrs now, C&A program too successful. Though as said before with the SOLO 340+ I get enough discount that like every 3rd or 4th Cruise is Free. Long as this stays I can live with other changes 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2

I imagine this is a money-making decision.  If the suite-paying guests feel crowded and less welcome due to the high-point cruise braggarts, then the access feels less like a perk.  Perhaps now the high-revenue pax will cruise more often, saving RCI from having to auction off the suites to the rest of us steerage folks. 

😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, PEBTRAVEL49 said:

For us, this was the only thing that separated RCCL apart from Cunard, Disney, Virgin. 

This is the weirdest line in the original post.  D+ access to CL was the only thing that separated these four lines.  I don't know that you could find four more disparate cruise lines.  If you had written Carnival, Norwegian and Royal I might give some credence to this screed however, suggesting you are moving to these other lines because of this one minor change seems rather disingenuous. 

I'm sure you will enjoy Virgin or whatever line you choose to cruise.  Will you have access to their equivalent of a CL?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dada2199cc said:

Im 1/3 to Pin and sometimes get similar reactions because I’m known to tip $100 or more when folks go way way way out of their way.

Maybe she’s a good tipper.  Maybe she’s married to an officer or some VP in HR!

I've been called a "baby Pinnacle" because I'm in the lower point range.  This lady that had all the attention in the lounge might have been one of the upper stratosphere point people.

• Like 1

Just book a suite, then you get what you pay for 

CL should be for people that have paid for it in their cruise fare

Finally CL and SL for SUITES (Pinnacle’s when there is room)😉

I really am not getting all the hoopla, nothing has been lost other than a coffee machine, which is also In all DL’s

And you can have 4/5 drinks ANYWHERE in much nicer places 24/7 across the fleet consistently with all tiers of cruisers 👍🏻

If you fly economy, don’t expect access to the airport lounges 

Happy Days!
I can take the heat, wrath hoopla cheerleading Pom Poms 🤡 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, welshrich said:

This just makes it official, we have sailed b2b on Radiance and Vision this year, a small amount of D+ on them and access to the CL was not allowed, we still like to visit the DL as we like the snacks in there and don't want to chance leaving more than 40 mins between eating!

I think I am in the minority in preferring the old HH system, a good tip would always secure a nice drink and one to take to dinner, I find that the drinks at the bars are all ice and sweet stuff.

I wonder whether RCI will eventually go all inclusive like other lines including Celebrity have done.

Then you should start drinking vodka martinis......

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We have gone to the diamond lounge from time to time.  It is nice option but not considered a "must do".  

Can someone describe how the concierge lounge compares?  Just curious is all.   

Since 90's when first made Diamond have always went to CL and bet went to DL 2 times with all about 9-10yrs ago