Charge for popcorn?

On Symphony last week, they had a small bag of popcorn available before some of the shows for $2.50...

All I can say is Why? (Besides the obvious Because they can.) They include soft serve, hot dogs, pizza, unlimited food, etc... so why nickel & diming for a tiny bag of popcorn?

Ironically, I will grab some popcorn as I wait for the replies. 

Oh, Lort ...  i can see it coming now .. "The Deluxe Popcorn Package" .. $33.99 per person per day.  (41.99 for buttered). 🙄 

Edited by F27TW
  • Like 5
  • Haha 15

It was worth $2.50 because it got rid of the long lines of freebie seeking vultures.

I hope cruise ships charge for everything a la carte in the future, including boarding times.

10:30 am boarding? $100 more per person.

I AM SO THERE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dada2199cc said:

It was worth $2.50 because it got rid of the long lines of freebie seeking vultures.

I hope cruise ships charge for everything a la carte in the future, including boarding times.

10:30 am boarding? $100 more per person.

I AM SO THERE.

... You must be an airline executive.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, F27TW said:

... You must be an airline executive.   

😂😂😂

Anything “free” raises the prices for everyone even if you don’t partake.  Also, “free” creates unnecessary lines.

On Symphony I never get the free soft serve, but I always buy a few scoops of gelato!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HicksRA said:

Maybe because it’s such a PITA to clean up after people drop half of it all over the seats and floors. 

This is exactly the conclusion I came to as well. If it was free, I can't even begin to imagine the absolute mess the theater would be after a show. But yeah, on the surface I thought the same thing the first show I went to that had popcorn available.

2 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Maybe because it’s such a PITA to clean up after people drop half of it all over the seats and floors. 

I was going to say the same thing.  

I also wonder if birds swoop in to eat it the next morning, then poop all over the place?  Guessing about that, but it seems realistic. 

2 hours ago, F27TW said:

Oh, Lort ...  i can see it coming now .. "The Deluxe Popcorn Package" .. $33.99 per person per day.  (41.99 for buttered). 🙄 

You laugh, but Disney's already doing it.  They'll sell you a plastic popcorn bucket for ... about $12?  Then you can refill it for $2 or $2.50 for the length of your stay.

Seriously, though.  I love-love-love popcorn and enjoy it with MUTS.  I've never seen popcorn for sale, and I've thought about bringing bagged popcorn on board with me.  They sell moderate-sized bags at the grocery store near me for $1.  

Nothing on a cruise, or in life in general, is free.  It may be included, but it ain't free!

That "free" self serve ice cream, yep, you/I paid for that.  

Generally, I cruise Star Class (not bragging, just fact) and all the specialty restaurants are free, all (well mostly) adult beverages are free, the Internet is free.  Just kidding, I paid for it in the long run. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

On Symphony last week, they had a small bag of popcorn available before some of the shows for $2.50...

All I can say is Why? (Besides the obvious Because they can.) They include soft serve, hot dogs, pizza, unlimited food, etc... so why nickel & diming for a tiny bag of popcorn?

Ironically, I will grab some popcorn as I wait for the replies. 

Off Disney Wonder a few weeks ago. Small bag is $3 large refillable bucket was $7.50. Lots of people buying popcorn, including us gettin two bags for the grandkids. 

43 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Off Disney Wonder a few weeks ago. Small bag is $3 large refillable bucket was $7.50. Lots of people buying popcorn, including us gettin two bags for the grandkids. 

I'm seriously thinking of bringing those sealed $1 bags from the grocery store on my next cruise. 

Related topic:  On Indy last month my husband and I were sitting in Promenade Cafe enjoying a snack, and we noticed that 100% of the kids who passed by Sugar Beach (candy store) turned their heads to look at the store.  50% of them broke stride and walked over to look in the window (it was closed at that time).  I said to my husband, "We'll have our grandson on an upcoming cruise.  I'm going to pick up a handful of $1-2 movie-box candies before the cruise."  

Seriously, we drive to the port, and $10 would buy more popcorn and candy than we could eat in a week.  I'm cheap enough to go to the trouble.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, F27TW said:

+ 18% gratuity 

The Unlimited Popcorn Package (UPP) also includes Cracker Jacks (for a $3.95 surcharge)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was on the Symphony last month. I must admit, I definitely bought a few bags of that popcorn during the duration of the cruise. It was a little snack while I waited for shows to start. Initially, I was a bit surprised by the charge also, but then I was like shoot, I'm on vacation, am I really going to bark at $2.50. I parked in the garage. Now, that's a price to bark at, lol, lol. 

5 hours ago, dada2199cc said:

😂😂😂

Anything “free” raises the prices for everyone even if you don’t partake.  Also, “free” creates unnecessary lines.

On Symphony I never get the free soft serve, but I always buy a few scoops of gelato!

Gotta Bless the "wanna-bee" elites.

Especially the one's who would rather spend $7 than wait 3.5 minutes for ice cream.

He is so rich, he can buy his way out of anything that takes 5 minutes or more...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1