No more prime rib?

kevin1551

15 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Question is how should Celebrity handle the increase in Food Cost overall....raise rates etc.  HonestlyI get sirloin at my favorite farm, I buy from the the farmer, not stores and it has been way better than any filet I have had.  I been to the top steakhouses in the U.S. etc so go at me on it if you want.  I have the chef, grad from Hyde Park background overall, but ended up in mgmt.  People get blinded and thinking filet mignon etc is the best, makes them feel better overall, ie luxury.   It's all perception in my opinion.  For example I have done wine tastings with friends who are tru sommeliers, there have been many people who picked the 15 bottle of wine vs the 200 bottle.  Blind test,  

Preferring to eat sirloin vs filet is a personal & subjective choice.  The relative cost of sirloin vs filet is an objective truth and illustrates Celebrity's ongoing cost cutting.  You're lucky to not be negatively affected by this particular change, but many are...... and I'd wager that nearly 100% of them would be able to discern sirloin from filet in a blind taste test.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Someone suggested giving Tilapia a French name to disguise it. The French translation for Tilapia is Linquee, so if you see this on the menu stay away.😁

Don't fret,  if Tilapia does not fit your palette, there is always turkey 🙂

I'm sure veteran Celebrity cruisers will recall there were cutbacks after the 9/11 dry spell and the Great Recession.  To us the cut backs reached their peak around 2014 and ,after a very disappointing Infinity cruise, we Elite Plus jumped lines to Oceania which we cruised until the Covid shutdown.  We tried several Celebrity  cruises after restart and found food quality was up, although perks and other aspects were down. So we are taking some future Celebrity cruises in the Suites.  If our satisfaction is down we will vote with our wallet and go with Oceania.   It all depends if a Recession happens to the Cruise Industry and how the cruise lines react

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

She should have to eat dinner in the OVC.

Though if she were on board, they'd have a full experienced crew and the OVC would be serving piping hot fresh food all day/night long.   

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Isn't Haddock another cheap fish that is used in making imitation crab legs?

You leave Haddock alone it’s a staple food for us Brits.😉

In fact we went to the pub for lunch today…..

Beer battered Haddock,chips and mushy peas…=£10.

Washed down with a couple of pints of Boddies,,,lovely!!

Talk of reduced menu,,on our last Celebrity cruise last year they served Irish Stew in the MDR dinner menu,,,,,,for us that’s a cheap meal,,,,slow cooking the cheapest cuts of meat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Talk of reduced menu,,on our last Celebrity cruise last year they served Irish Stew in the MDR dinner menu,,,,,,for us that’s a cheap meal,,,,slow cooking the cheapest cuts of meat.

LOL!  And as it is for us New Englanders, where so much of it is caught very locally to where I live.  I eat it frequently, it's much healthier (way less fat) than salmon, and it is excellent in fish tacos.

On another post I said if Celebrity has only E Class ships I'm gone. Prime Rib comes in 2nd. 3rd is Crème brûlée. It is hard to cook m-rare prime rib at home for 2. Has anyone been able to order PR in Luminae with advance notice. Celebrity seems to have already gotten rid of the chocolate sphere in Luminae, at least on the 7 night sailings.

IMG_20160909_230244501.thumb.jpg.05b4c85f96503729e68a2a44f5775493.jpg

Edited by bigbenboys
added photo

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

I sail in March. I'm in Retreat but like to order the MDR items that I listed above in Luminae.

You still have the old menu. Perhaps they haven't gone fleet-wide with the new limited selections. Was there prime rib on night 1?

No prime rib on any night on our current menus

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Betsynh said:

Prime rib was on the menu in the MDR on the Equinox this past week.

2 minutes ago, retird said:

No prime rib on any night on our current menus

So prior sailing yes, current sailing no. Does that sound right?

3 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I have to laugh because I just accidentally clicked onto the Carnival board instead of the Celebrity board just now and the top post is "No more Sierra Mist". So they have similar problems too, just a different scale.

Same with RC. 

16 hours ago, volk904 said:

If the costs of food goes up they need to raise the price of the cruise not cut the quantity of the food people expect when booking.  

Oh they've raised the price of cruises alright...I guess just not enough to cover the cost of food and fuel...  Raising the price while offering nothing better isn't sustainable.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I have to laugh because I just accidentally clicked onto the Carnival board instead of the Celebrity board just now and the top post is "No more Sierra Mist". So they have similar problems too, just a different scale.

Though to be fair, if you read the thread (I was curious) it's because Pepsi is discontinuing it and will be introducing a new brand "Starry" to compete with Sprite. (And most - at least on the first page - don't seem upset but are like "Good riddance")

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Yeah, but Carnival is still serving filet and doesn't charge for a second lobster tail. Not a good look for X.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

I already admitted I was wrong I had it confused with the other "ock" fish, Pollock.