Favorite Buffet Item

shofer

Bread Pudding with vanilla sauce.   I discovered this item on Vision of the Seas in 2017 and have found it on every Royal cruise since then.  Made with the day old bread, I like it especially when made with leftover raisin bread.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Mr. Green said:

Salad bar with a side of chicken or beef. It's the simple things in life that satisfy me and I'm trying to eat better. Is eating and better even a thing on a cruise????

Agreed. The salad portion of the buffet is probably my favorite. I know exactly what is going into it.

• Like 1

Double layer of fries on plate, two cheese burger patties on fries, burger patties covered with grilled onions, walk over to carving station, find the congealed brown gravy, slowly pour two ladles of gravy over the top, back to the burger station for a dusting of grated cheese, embarrassing walk back to table, 30 second assault by wife asking me if I want to die... and then dig into heaven on a plate. To Mr Green, eating and better are not combinable when I cruise. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

6 hours ago, shofer said:

Bread Pudding with vanilla sauce.   I discovered this item on Vision of the Seas in 2017 and have found it on every Royal cruise since then.  Made with the day old bread, I like it especially when made with leftover raisin bread.

That's my favorite also, but it's been hard to find. Five RCI ships I've sailed on recently and some didn't have it at all and one only had it at breakfast !! What's going on ? Also when I can find it why do they have to doctor it up ? Just leave it plain !!!

• Like 1

Not necessarily a favorite, but something I do like and am surprised is still on the breakfast buffet with all the cuts to dining.... (cold) smoked salmon. 

On Oasis last week their were three full smoked and sliced salmon out every day.  Carnival cut smoked salmon from the breakfast buffet years ago.  Princess still has it but usually portioned out in serving size dishes. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

30 second assault by wife asking me if I want to die...

The other day on Ovation: Breakfast dessert: White frosted donut covered with a mountain of whipped cream, crushed oreos, chocolate bits, coconut, and chocolate sauce.

2 hours ago, loman said:

couple of sausages

Those sausages are like rubber. If they replaced them with the pork sausages from the seaplex doghouse they would be on a winner.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Not necessarily a favorite, but something I do like and am surprised is still on the breakfast buffet with all the cuts to dining.... (cold) smoked salmon. 

On Oasis last week their were three full smoked and sliced salmon out every day.  Carnival cut smoked salmon from the breakfast buffet years ago.  Princess still has it but usually portioned out in serving size dishes. 

Smoked salmon is one of my favorite items, glad to see it still offered. We are booked for the Wonder in October and in the morning for a brekky delight I like to put a good smear of herb and garlic cream cheese on a bagel and top it with lots of smoked salmon. A good way to start the day 

Cheers.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, CanadaRob said:

Tell me more-these are 2 of my favourite things

On most ships when you enter the Windjammer if you look around the entrance area there is a beverage bar area where they do drinks (coffee, booze, juices, etc).  They will gladly make you a smoothie - just tell them your favorite flavors.  At lunch time I usually tell them I want a smoothie with a rum shot in it (have DBP)........even better than the breakfast smoothie.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mr. Green said:

Salad bar with a side of chicken or beef. It's the simple things in life that satisfy me and I'm trying to eat better. Is eating and better even a thing on a cruise????

If by "favorite" you mean what do I eat most often in the Windjammer, this'd be it for me too.  Salad + chicken, beef or a piece of fish.  As I eat low-carb, I almost always go for some variety of this plate for lunch. I tend to be careful about nutrition at lunch, then splurge on dinner. 

Specific thoughts on this: 

- With this simple plate, I like that I know exactly what I'm getting -- with the more complex dishes (Indian dishes, for example), I can't accurately guess the ingredients.  

- I like a hamburger patty topped with chili.  

- I wish they offered smaller burgers -- like slider size, as I often don't finish a burger.  It'd also be good for someone who wants a burger PLUS something else.  And it seems to me burgers are the #1 choice at lunch for most cruisers.  

- I wish the salad bar offered honey-mustard on a regular basis.  I mean, I wish it to the point that I may just bring a couple little packets of salad dressing in foil.  

12 hours ago, loman said:

I like the breakfast offerings . I usually eat plain cheerios at home , so a couple of sausages and a piece of bacon with an egg omelette is a huge change for me.

I do enjoy the Windjammer breakfast.  I almost always go for some combination of egg and bacon, and I avoid pancakes and French toast -- those are better in the MDR, where they haven't been "sitting".  

Other things I've really enjoyed in the Windjammer: 

- Miso soup 

- Tacos 

- Chocolate fountain with fresh fruit 

- Cheeses 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 3

Breakfast :

3 sausages, 3 bacon, 2 fried eggs, 2 black pudding, 4 hash browns, lots of baked beans...heaven on a plate!

Lunch: Shepherds pie with chunky chips and more baked beans

Dinner: (had on Anthem this summer) Vegetarian biryani topped with butter chicken with many poppadoms.

I will now go and order my elasticated waist trousers!!

Simon

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cheesepleese said:

Smoked salmon is one of my favorite items, glad to see it still offered. We are booked for the Wonder in October and in the morning for a brekky delight I like to put a good smear of herb and garlic cream cheese on a bagel and top it with lots of smoked salmon. A good way to start the day 

Cheers.

Agree also.  After a few days of the same breakfast, its nice just to get a lox and cream cheese bagel (with tomatoes and capers, of course).

• Like 4

21 hours ago, shofer said:

Agree!  Although a rising contender is the rice pudding.  It is warm with raisins.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, shofer said:

Oatmeal raisin cookies and any kind of ice cream

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

It's too bad that the WJ or other venues that serve breakfast, don't serve Pealmeal Bacon.  I know my Canadian friends will understand what that is.

Peameal, not pealmeal.  Damn

• Like 1