Enchantment vs Anthem

Looking at the upcoming repositionings from Cape Liberty.   Have my own opinions based on itinerary but was hoping to get opinions from those who have sailed Enchantment and Anthem on the ships themselves. I have been on Anthem and, must say, it was the most impressive ship I’ve ever been on. Loved all of the activities, the solarium cafe for dinner, the three pool areas, and thought the ship was generally well designed and easy to get around.  I don’t generally sail Royal Carribbean since it’s a pain to sail out of NJ, but thought that Royal lived up to its reputation and great reviews on my first and only RCCL cruise. Would the Enchantment, an older ship, be a let down?  

Edited by RalphWiggum

5 minutes ago, RalphWiggum said:

Looking at the upcoming repositionings from Cape Liberty.   Have my own opinions based on itinerary but was hoping to get opinions from those who have sailed Enchantment and Anthem on the ships themselves. I have been on Anthem and, must say, it was the most impressive ship I’ve ever been on. Loved all of the activities, the solarium cafe for dinner, the three pool areas, and thought the ship was generally well designed and easy to get around.   Would the Enchantment be a let down?  

Well, there is a lot less "stuff" on Enchantment, that's for sure.  There's a tiny "Park Cafe" in the solarium, but for dinner, the pay venues, the MDR, and the WJ is it.  

Being smaller, it's easier to get around, as we see it.

But, being honest, I have no idea if you would be disappointed or not.  If your expectations are tons of stuff to do, sure, you will be bummed.  If you are looking for something quieter and perhaps being able to do other little games, maybe you would be ok.  And maybe you will really like smaller ships- some do.

I would lean toward you thinking that the Enchantment is a let down.  But if the itinerary is more interesting and has a lot of ports- maybe that is attractive.  We just did a side by side on the Allure and then the Radiance- and loved both cruises.  Granted, the Radiance isn't the Enchantment- but in terms of stuff, they are very close to each other.  It could be a interesting experiment.

For us, if the itineraries were the same, we would choose the Anthem, though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RalphWiggum said:

Looking at the upcoming repositionings from Cape Liberty.   Have my own opinions based on itinerary but wanted to get opinions from those who have sailed Enchantment and Anthemon the ships themselves. I have been on Anthem and, must say, it was the most impressive ship I’ve ever been on. Loved all of the activities, the solarium cafe for dinner, the three pool areas, and thought the ship was generally well designed and easy to get around.   Would the Enchantment be a let down?  

Personally I think it would be a let down.  It's an older ship that doesn't have near the bells,

whistles and amenities of the Anthem.  I also seem to read reviews about the Enchantment being a little more rundown than other Royal ships. (just heresay).  If all you want to do is veg by the pool than either may work, but the Enchantment is a huge step down IMO.  Just my opinion though.

Dan

• Like 2

Helpful responses all.   I have sailed on many types of lines, and don’t mind small ships with little or no entertainment at all.   But for a lengthy transatlantic, I want activities.   Looking for that iggy pop “lust for life” RCCL experience from the old commercials.  

It would be nice to try another RCCL ship but it seems like Anthem would be the better bet.  Thanks all.  

I'm doing the May 1 Anthem TA.  I thought about the April 30 Enchantment, but didn't have the time to sail the longer cruise plus a post-cruise stay around Rome.

With my D+ balcony discount, plus a weekend sale (yes, an actual sale - cheaper than GGG), Anthem was a better deal.

I sailed Enchantment from Baltimore to the Bahamas in March 2022.  The expanded pool deck was nice, but otherwise, I preferred Grandeur (sailed her 7 times).

I previously sailed on Anthem six times (west bound TA, Bermuda, Canada/NE, Bahamas, Eastern Caribbean, east bound TA).  Also sailed on Quantum once (west bound TA).  Not really a fan of Quantum class, but I sail what works for me.

Edited by Another_Critic

1 hour ago, RalphWiggum said:

Helpful responses all.   I have sailed on many types of lines, and don’t mind small ships with little or no entertainment at all.   But for a lengthy transatlantic, I want activities.   Looking for that iggy pop “lust for life” RCCL experience from the old commercials.  

It would be nice to try another RCCL ship but it seems like Anthem would be the better bet.  Thanks all.  

We have done 5 transatlantic crossings on Oasis Class. Late last year we did the 10 night Quantum Vancouver to Hawaii, found Quantum class to be a big letdown compared to shows and activities. 

Oh geez-  based on what you've said you liked, you would be bored outta your mind on the Enchantment.    We just got off an 8n outta B'more- and we LOVED it- however, we knew this was just going to be a relaxation cruise on the aft.  We've said her 1 time before- and really had a good time, with an "older crowd".  However, as we were discussing how much we still enjoyed this baby ship (parked next to the Wonder at Coco Cay was hilarious!) - we both commented how for any sort of transatlantic, we would want some more amenities- such as mentioned above- 270, Music Hall, etc.  There really isn't many places for a snack either- and yes, she IS starting to show her age.  I was determined to go outta B'more since only an hour from home, so we gave the ol girl a ride.  For shorter cruises, I don't see an issue for what WE like- but between the two- for a transatlantic- everyday and twice on Sundays- Anthem wins hands down.

• Like 2

I have sailed both ships.  Will be doing the Enchantment TA in just a few weeks.  The Anthem is more in tune for indoor activity as it was designed for sailing in cooler temps.  I don't like the Anthem.  It is too big.  I prefer smaller ships.  Enchantment only has Chops and Chef's Table.  It would be nice if it had another special restaurant.  It is designed differently than other ships.  The Windjammer is at the front of the ship.  Solarium is further aft. Spa is totally aft.  I can't say the Enchantment is my favorite ship but it is good.  Planning to book a B2B2B for next fall on her.

• Like 2

I have sailed both ships--Enchantment pre-stretch (when it was even smaller!), and the Anthem just recently.  I loved the Anthem, and I also loved the smaller-ship aspect of the Enchantment. 

Enchantment pros for me would be the more intimate feel, the open promenade deck, and less kiddie extravaganza activities. The cons would be no enclosed Solarium, and the dated cabin decor.

Teddie

• Like 1

The Anthem is twice the size of the Enchantment, 167.8 vs 81, and is 18 years younger, 2015 vs 1997.  If you like your ships smaller and older, it's the Enchantment.  If you like them bigger and younger, it's the Anthem.

I'd go with the latter, we'll be embarking on her on Sunday.

My favorite ship out of Baltimore was the Grandeur.  Loved the size of the ship, the crew, the solarium and just the all around family feel of the ship.  Most of the passengers were older and most of them have sailed that ship for years.  It seemed every time we boarded the ship we knew someone and the crew would recognize you.  

If I was doing a long cruise with lots of sea days I would do the Anthem.  I was on the Enchantment in December and found not much to do except play trivia.  The show were very limited on the 8 day cruise.

• Like 1

We had several terrific shows on Enchantment 12 day cruise this March and the rest of theater entertainment was good... and nice music everywhere. She offers more music than Grandeur as it also has Boleros. Ship orchestra was AMAZING! Aside from theater performance they offered numerous Jazz sessions.

Anthem is grander ...and newer, and has more stuff to do, and Solarium is the best on high seas.

We love both, sailed on Anthem in Jan 22 and 23 and Enchantment in March 22 and 23, and Anthem 9 times overall.

Went on Enchantment and didn’t like it. It was my least favorite class of Royal ships and would not go on it again. And getting some type of stomach virus and having to go to the ship’s infirmary about it didn’t make it any better. Couldn’t eat and hold down food for two days! 

I'm a small ship fan who felt that Freedom Class was too large. So I'm probably not in the majority here. I booked my next cruise on Serenade. Radiance Class is my favorite, but I also love Voyager Class. I pushed my cruise out a year due to Covid concerns and - while the itinerary stayed the same - the ship changed to Brilliance. No sweat, same class. Then RCI shuffled some ships around and we were moved to Enchantment. I am a bit concerned we'll be disappointed, but I hope not. I think we'll like the size - similar to Radiance. I wish it had mini-golf. We love that on our cruises, but I guess we'll have to settle for shuffleboard this time. We're not talking about a long cruise, so not the same as your consideration. It's just a 7-day, western Caribbean out of Tampa, Florida. (We were looking for a budget-friendly option.) I'm sure we'll still have a blast. There are only 2 sea days, so we're in port most of the time. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RalphWiggum said:

I miss the Iggy Pop commercials.   I've sailed Enchantment twice, it was my first ship, before she was 'stretched'.  I don't think I could handle a TA on her. I'd pick Anthem not only for more things to do, but for the solarium and indoor pool alone.  

• Like 1

I was on the Enchantment for 3 weeks in January this year, and on the Anthem for 8 days in February.  I would definitely prefer the Anthem over the Enchantment.

I have recent info from family members that the Enchantment's main dining room problems have been resolved, so I won't compare there. 

BUT, the Anthem's Windjammer is amazing!  So many more choices, and very good food.  I had dinner there 7 nights.  The outside back eating area is very nice in the evenings, too.

When I walked into the Via for the first time I felt like I was in the Las Vegas Bellagio.  Such a classy ship.

The Enchantment cannot compete with the entertainment offerings, too.  They just don't have the facilities to provide the more elaborate, larger shows.  

The Enchantment is an old, small, nice ship.  But, it's got to be an incredible itinerary to get me on her again, and her itineraries are not incredible.  Just had enough, especially after sailing on the Allure, Oasis, and Anthem in the last 6 months.  

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

This question really depends on what cruise means to you.  If you need the latest and coolest gadgets.  Lots of options, then Enchantment will be a letdown.  With only 1 specialty restaurant, Enchantment is indicative of what I would like to call traditional cruise experience.  However, if you're like me, who find all the latest and coolest stuff is nothing but a novelty which wears out fast in my opinion, then Enchantment is the better option as service on smaller ships is usually (but not always) better.  Also, smaller ships tend to cost less than the big mega ships. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigque said:

Went on Enchantment and didn’t like it. It was my least favorite class of Royal ships and would not go on it again. And getting some type of stomach virus and having to go to the ship’s infirmary about it didn’t make it any better. Couldn’t eat and hold down food for two days! 

We also got it on Enchantment … But we once cruised on Anthem after noro cruise… the way they washed everything and covered all tables with a solution you’d think it’s really bad.

On 4/5/2023 at 8:00 PM, HicksRA said:

The biggest event on Enchantment is rust abatement night. Everyone is issued a wire brush and face mask…. JK 

We were on Enchantment right before the shutdown. I was surprised that RCI didn't require a Tetanus shot to sail. Our aft balcony was gross. Way too Rusty. Before that we had an interior with a leak under the carpet. They put a very large industrial fan in the cabin. It was awful, every thing would blow around the cabin, you had to shout to be heard. They finally found a broken pipe under the floor. I wouldn't Sail on that ship ever!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1