Activities on transatlantic sailings?

Eglesbrech

Can I ask what daytime activities Princess offer on transatlantic sailings please.

Is it just the same old same old (quizzes, paper aeroplanes, wine tasting etc) or do they make an extra effort to fill all those seas day? 

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You will probably have at least a couple of "enrichment" talks.  If you've done many cruises at all you've probably seen most of what will be available. 

Thanks for responding, much appreciated.

I thought they might add in extra activities eg a choir or some longer term craft projects, language learning or some such to pass the time.

Yes I have done many cruises but not a Princess transatlantic. 

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Can I ask what daytime activities Princess offer on transatlantic sailings please.

Is it just the same old same old (quizzes, paper aeroplanes, wine tasting etc) or do they make an extra effort to fill all those seas day? 

Thanks.

Seems to me, just a little more of the same type of activities on our last TA in March.

Maybe more crafts, enrichment series and longer choir sessions.  Always seemed like something to do, if you wanted to.  More crew involvement in activities during the day also.

• Thanks 1

Have done 8 Princess Cruises 15 days or longer. None of them Caribbean Cruises with ports very day. Mostly Australia to Asia, Asia to the United States, circle cruises South Pacific. Even with 8 sea days in a row, have never been bored or lacked things to do. In many ways, we like sea days better than port calls.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've done several trans Atlantics. I enjoy the sea days. Movies, art auctions ( I never buy but enjoy the experience), lectures, galley demo & tour, afternoon tea. I'm not into group activities so can't comment on those. 

• Thanks 1

As someone who has done a multitude of transatlantic crossibg - favorite cruise - the last few they ran a trivia at noon for all sea days that the scores for each team were kept on file.  The top 3 teams on the final sea day got gifts.  But it surely was fun and we met quite a few other passengers because of it.

also we have done some that ran like an Olympics on sea days - virtual games or ring toss or shuffleboard, ping pong.  Also fun and made friends.  Have to write that a friend of ours competed in ping pong against a blind individual and our friend lost.  That has become a laugh with our friend for years.

if you don’t see things being offered, go to cruise director and make suggestions.

hope this helps

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Thanks for responding, much appreciated.

I thought they might add in extra activities eg a choir or some longer term craft projects, language learning or some such to pass the time.

Yes I have done many cruises but not a Princess transatlantic. 

On the Enchanted TA last March both of these were offered as well as a progressive trivia game every sea day.

• Thanks 1

We have been on 8 westbound TA's and have our 9th planned for this coming November.  For the crossing our favorite thing to do is to be in the Sanctuary.  The weather was only an issue on one of our crossings. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DH finds some bridge partners and plays cards every day.  I find a nice place to settle in and read one of the many books I have loaded on the Kindle for the trip.  If you're on the right ship, it seems to me there is always something happening in Princess Live.  Sea days are good for leisurely MDR breakfasts.

Maybe I'm a nerd but I look forward to language lessons. Not that my pronunciation is any good but I have a better understanding when hearing Portuguese and Spanish. 

Also there were crafts every day in a specialty dining room. Not origami. Actual crafts

Edited by Ombud
  • Thanks 1

The 5-7 days across the Atlantic is time for us to read "several" good books.  We can sleep late, and also stay up late.  Enjoy the breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Of course visit the Piano Bar and relax at night.  Shows are fairly good.

Nice time to really unwind. 

• Like 1

We did a TA in April on the Regal. Plenty of activities - in fact, had to pick and choose because there were many that overlapped. Our favorites were the Regal Olympics and Progressive Trivia. Other choices: Ballroom Dance lessons,  Line Dancing, Pop Choir, Voice of the Ocean, Scavenger Hunt, and Enrichment talks as well as the usual trivia, karaoke, game shows, etc. There also seemed to be more musical offerings than on other cruises during the evening hours. We had a terrific cruise staff who made everything fun. Thoroughly enjoyed the crossing!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, shorne said:

Paper airplanes? Really? That's what they offer to adults?

There's paper planes and then there are "paper planes". There's a little more science to it than just folding a piece of paper if you want to really compete.

11 hours ago, Kay S said:

LOL.  There is also the egg drop contest and elevator roulette.  

Both fun. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kay S said:

LOL.  There is also the egg drop contest and elevator roulette.  

I haven't seen elevator roulette in years!  Glad to hear it still happens in some ships. So dumb yet somehow tons of fun. 

• Like 2

Here's the Patter from a sea day on our transatlantic cruise in 2019. There were lots of activities. They offered the pop choir, pennywhistle lessons, trivias, a book club, lectures, and a wide variety of other activities. I enjoyed having the teen center open occasionally to play skeeball. There weren't many teens on that cruise.

Someone on our Cruise Critic roll call organized a separate book club. We read Where the Crawdads Sing and Dan Brown's Origin. The a large part of the plot of the latter book takes place in Bilbao, one of the ports on the cruise.

20191002_124257.jpg

20191002_124306.jpg

3 hours ago, rmsmith said:

I haven't seen elevator roulette in years!  Glad to hear it still happens in some ships. So dumb yet somehow tons of fun. 

I know.  It's so dumb, but so funny.  The people's faces when the door opens and all the roulette players start screaming!  

• Like 1