Checking out late to avoid depature

Family of four will be on Liberty of the Seas next week from Cape Liberty NJ (Bayonne) cruise port.  Our flight is not until 2pm at EWR, so I am considering checking out between 10a-11a, which is the latest time for checkout on RCI's website.  My thoughts are we can avoid the early checkout/customs rush, hail a Uber/Lyft quicker, and get out of the port faster.  Thinking that it's more pleasant to wait in our cabin than the airport.  In the past, we've always checked out at the assigned time (around 7a-8a) and herded like cattle through the ship in into terminal.  Since my flight is not until later and the airport is not far, I thought this might work?  Has anyone checkout late?  And if so, do you avoid the rush and chaos?

2 minutes ago, chenj78 said:

Family of four will be on Liberty of the Seas next week from Cape Liberty NJ (Bayonne) cruise port.  Our flight is not until 2pm at EWR, so I am considering checking out between 10a-11a, which is the latest time for checkout on RCI's website.  My thoughts are we can avoid the early checkout/customs rush, hail a Uber/Lyft quicker, and get out of the port faster.  Thinking that it's more pleasant to wait in our cabin than the airport.  In the past, we've always checked out at the assigned time (around 7a-8a) and herded like cattle through the ship in into terminal.  Since my flight is not until later and the airport is not far, I thought this might work?  Has anyone checkout late?  And if so, do you avoid the rush and chaos?

They will have everyone off the ship before that, so not going to happen.  We got off Oasis last weekend in Cape Liberty and the last number had a 9am departure time.  Cabins were supposed to be vacated by 8am.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chenj78 said:

Not a chance you will be able to stay on that late. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, chenj78 said:

The latest I have seen where there was normal debarkation was 9 to 930 am. Not sure what you think you saw, but that's not going to happen. Agree with above post. 

You have to clear your cabin usually by 8 am. After that its sitting around or finish eating breakfast with your luggage with you. There is no such thing as late check out unless your ship had trouble and everyone is late .. not just you. 

They need you off so they can turn over your cabin for the next folks. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, chenj78 said:

And if so, do you avoid the rush and chaos?

You can avoid the rush by going late - it just won't be as late as you are thinking. If you are really bored and want to avoid EWR, be a spectator at the outside line checking in for the next sailing. Uber/Lyft surcharges should ease by 10AM.

Edited by Biker19

37 minutes ago, chenj78 said:

Where exactly are you seeing a "checkout time"?  10a-11a is about the earliest CHECKIN time I'm pretty sure (could definitely be wrong).  

OP:  Think of all those pax anxious to board the ship as you disembark.  Ship has to be cleaned and restocked, cabins have to be cleaned and sanitized.  The team works very hard on "turn around day" to get it ready.  

New pax cannot board until they have "passenger zero" count, with everyone off the ship before new pax can board.  New passengers will start boarding by 10:30 or just after.  No way can you stay on the ship that late.  

Indeed as others have stated...you need to be out of your cabin by 8:00 am and won't find very many venues (even some bathrooms) open for use.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chenj78 said:

you need to be OUT of your cabin by 8:00am and off the ship by 9:30 at the latest.  Where you choose to hang out between 8:00-9:30 is up to you but it won’t be in the cabin…

Remember other people are waiting to board……

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

you need to be OUT of your cabin by 8:00am and off the ship by 9:30 at the latest.  Where you choose to hang out between 8:00-9:30 is up to you but it won’t be in the cabin…

Remember other people are waiting to board……

Now where did I just read that.  😉   ^   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Indeed as others have stated...you need to be out of your cabin by 8:00 am and won't find very many venues (even some bathrooms) open for use.  

You aren't kidding! While waiting in the Star Lounge on Indy during our B2B turnaround day in July, they VERY RELUCTANTLY let my wife use the bathroom just outside the lounge. 🤣

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

You aren't kidding! While waiting in the Star Lounge on Indy during our B2B turnaround day in July, they VERY RELUCTANTLY let my wife use the bathroom just outside the lounge. 🤣

They like their Ducks kept in a row for sure.  😉  

48 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Back to back passengers are also waiting to get back on the ship.  We have to stay in the terminal until there is a zero count on the ending cruise.  10:30am is the latest that I have been allowed back on.the ship.  

The B2B pax are treated so differently on different ships.  I like the one where they have us wait in one of the lounges, bring the customs officers on board, then ding out and back in on the ship and free to go.  

Though I think that is all determined by the local port authorities how it is handled.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

The B2B pax are treated so differently on different ships.  I like the one where they have us wait in one of the lounges, bring the customs officers on board, then ding out and back in on the ship and free to go.  

Though I think that is all determined by the local port authorities how it is handled.  

It is 100% decided locally, and even more than that - it depends on who is on duty.

Last year.  Cape Liberty.  B3B.  First turnaround day = officer came on board.  Second turnaround day = we had to go out into the terminal.  All on the whim of who was on duty.  

• Like 1