The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday June 29th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Camera Day, Hug Holiday, and International Mud Day

Anyone who thinks sitting in church can make you a Christian must also think that sitting in a garage can make you a car.--Garrison Keillor

Meal Suggestion for today - Vietnamese Salad Rolls With Peanut Dipping Sauce
Drink of the Day - Amaretto Pina Colada
Wine of the Day - VHR Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville 2019
Destination of the Day - Ushuaia, Argentina

Today in History:
1613 Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London, burns down during a performance of "Henry VIII"

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

Inverness, Scotland 07:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Oosterdam

Kusadasi, Ephesus, Turkey 07:00 - 19:00

Rotterdam

Flam, Norway 07:00 - 19:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord/Juneau, Alaska eta 6-30

Westerdam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Quebec City, Canada eta 6-30

Zuiderdam

South Queensferry (Edinburgh), Scotland 0900-1900

0629World.thumb.png.98c7be76d48b7c672475e53564aa0192.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 15

Today’s Care list:

The passing of Luvteaching’s DH Phil on 6/27

Smitty34877’s DH recovering from surgery

Vict0riann’s Pat with urinary and kidney infections

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck (catmando) with a cancer recurrence

Seasick Sailor’s DH with medical issues

Summer slope with a health issue

Srdancer with C. Diff infection

Loss of crew and passengers in the Titan submersible 

Canadian wildfires, unhealthy air quality for many 

Tornado victims and those with dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again

Citizens of Ukraine, dam explosion with flooding

From the rotation:

Vict0riann’s headache due to trapezius muscle

Tana’s pulmonary issues 

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis and a fall

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma and medication sensitivity

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Oceansaway17!

Welcome home Aliaschief and DWAliaschief!

Tupper10 back surgery a success

Kochleffel’s new fur babies

Dfish enjoying having River with her for a week

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

Cruising/At Sea:

6 days for Loveandpeas (Volendam July 5 to July 12), celebrating 16th honeymoon anniversary

Oceansaway17 (Liberty of the Seas to July 8), Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina to July 23)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 17

Good morning and thanks for the Report.

Another smoky day here.  Maybe I'll get my camera and take some pictures.  I will hug my sweetie.  I won't play in the mud.

Amusing quote.

The meal sounds interesting.  I'll pass on the drink.  I'm sure I'll like the wine.

I've never been to today's port, maybe someday.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 27

Good morning.  Thanks for the daily report. Fun days today.  I remember making mud pies when I was a kid, times sure seemed simpler then.  Garrison’s quote does make sense.  The meal suggestion sounds nice for a light supper.  I’ll wait on the drink until the recipe is posted, maybe yes, maybe no.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for all on our prayer list.  Cheers to all of you celebrating happy events today!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  It's 66F with slightly hazy skies and an air quality of 114.  Today should be a hot 93 and a chance of thunderstorms.  Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report!  I'll celebrate camera day, enjoy hugs with my loved ones🤗, and see no reason to celebrate mud.  Meh to the quote, but the day in history must have been life changing in that era.  I think I'll skip the dish of the day, might try an amaretto pina colada, and will skip the red wine. 🍷  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports.

Also, many thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the Care and Celebration lists.  I really wish we could whittle down the Care list.  So many people hurting or with loved ones in need of prayers.  🙏  I promise to do my part with the prayers!  Congrats to those on the Celebration list.  Enjoy your happy event or cruise!🚢🥂🎈

Everyone stay safe today with your unhealthy air quality.  Ours is rising today and I know family members in three states are in the thick of it.

Port of the day is Ushuaia, Argentina, the end of the world.  Many here have been there before but I bet the general population has no idea where it is much less how to pronounce it.  It was our port once before on Jan. 3, 2022 and I'll post the link below.  I was rather busy that day and posted a few photos later in the day.  But no worries, many Dailyites posted photos for your enjoyment.

I recall our first time we had Ushuaia on the itinerary was in 2012 on Star Princess and they refused our ship entry because we had stopped in the Falklands right before.  So we've only been there three times.  The second try was with @Quartzsite CruiserLenda and I recall it was a bit damp there in the morning.  The streets are all wet on our photos.  That ship was Ruby Princess.

The next stop there was Dec. 26, 2016 while on Seabourn Quest.  Here is my favorite picture that day.  DH and I walked into the visitor center, which had automatic door openers on them.  The doors were open a lot since everybody wanted maps and info.  One of the stray dogs in town walked in, circled the room and laid down right in front of DH.  He actually laid his body on DH's foot!  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJN1bObDTrFgOSUmOAAJb_i?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1484521121

Here's the staff busy with visitors.  No one really noticed this pup taking a nap in there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKcmULdQd3jCowyo1yYLUDu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1484527378

A few of that dog's friends heading towards the visitor center for a nap.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLOA5SCX8jKNqJT2EMSff22?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1485042230

Another photo I enjoy from that cruise was this comparison of the Quest sitting next to the Princess ship.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKhkkmZ7Xc2KzNmtLnat1qC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1485042273

Quest was such a cozy little ship.🥰  The final visit was on Coral Princess in January 2020 on an Antarctica drive by voyage.  That was the final cruise for us before Covid hit.

Well, I hope today is a safe, healthy, happy day for you all!  Make the most of it!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon and welcome from a sunny 68°F North East coast of England.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

We have just got home after getting extra grocery shopping for when Sarah stops at ours tomorrow night after Pauline and Sarah go to the Rod Stewart concert.

Most of us have good quality cameras and take photos so it is a good day to celebrate.

We hug all of the time and it is a stress reliever.

Today's quote can be true but hopefully most of us go to church because we are Christians and believe in God and always try to say and do the right thing.

We will usually have a couple of Pina Coladas when cruising.

Sending best wishes for good health to all of my Dailyite friends.

I hope y'all have a wonderful day.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 31

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A lovely morning starting off another scorcher. We had some rain & a brief T-storm yesterday afternoon. The heat and breezes quickly dried everything off. 

Vanessa thank you for capturing & sharing our happenings so meticulously. @luvteaching Karen hoping you and your family are at peace. 

@smitty34877 Terry, praying Lou, you and your clan are all doing well, getting much needed rest and that Lou’s recovery road is a smooth one.

Zumba, Bindi walks, chores and pool time should keep me busy. 

IMG_1433.jpeg.4f644552157bc1078e4b721850e6449e.jpeg

IMG_1440.jpeg.e690c40c4486003dae469560c4888861.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

VHR Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville 2019

It has been awhile since we have had a big Napa Cab. But this is one - with a matching price tag. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $239.00.

Winemaker Notes

#89 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2022

The 2019 VHR, Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon is dark, sumptuous, and wonderfully expressive. Blackberry fruit, gravel, spice, menthol, licorice, and dried flower notes provide the vintage with myriad layers of breadth and texture, celebrating the varied nature of this marvelous vineyard. The vintage’s expansive and lush mouthfeel is framed by a seamless bond of structured fine-grain tannins, dark ripe fruit, and vibrant acidity. Beautiful and wonderfully complex, the 2019 VHR Cabernet Sauvignon possesses a signature depth and opulence, harmoniously showcasing the attributes of the individual vineyard blocks to create a wine that is balanced, persistent, textural, and distinctive to our family’s vineyard in Oakville. 

D100 Decanter
Fresh, enticing aromas of sappy red and black fruits, leather, sandalwood, cassis, violets and sweet cedar. Gorgeous on entry, brimming with elegance in its finely delineated fruit notes that lead with blackberry, and black cherry morphing into tangy red fruit and currants. Featherweight fine-grained tannins are almost powdery; a wealth of savoury mineral character floods the mid-palate like liquified granite. And it keeps giving, revealing wild herbs, sagebrush, bittersweet chocolate and brown spices. One of the more elegant 2019 Napa Cabs in this concentrated, dark-fruited vintage, with beautiful structure and a freshness that remains present in every single sip.
JD99 Jeb Dunnuck

Even better, yet certainly in the same mold as the 2014, the 2019 Cabernet Sauvignon VHR is straight-up heavenly stuff, and I suspect it will warrant another point in 5-7 years. This deep purple-hued effort has a great nose of cassis, redcurrants, dried herbs, and tobacco, with some background chocolaty oak. Deep, full-bodied, concentrated, and mouth-filling, it has a seamless texture, velvety tannins, and the balance to evolve for over two decades. It doesn’t get much more classic Oakville.

WE98 Wine Enthusiast
This red is beautifully rich and supple in red fruit, polished tannin and a depth of layered complexity. It is broad and generous, with complexity to age and fresh, lasting acidity that illuminates and energizes the palate. Enjoy from 2029–2039.
Cellar Selection
V98 Vinous
The 2019 Cabernet Sauvignon tastes like a barrel sample, such is its purity of fruit and lushness! It is perhaps the most opulent wine ever made here and therefore likely to require a number of years before it is even close to being ready to drink. Primary fruit and plush contours are front and center. The 2019 needs time to come together, and yet its sheer beauty is impossible to miss. The 2019 is a real head-turner, that much is clear. Rating: 98+
JS98 James Suckling

Flowers and brambleberries on the nose, together with lavender and sandalwood. Very perfumed. Full-bodied, yet very tight and polished, with gentle, graceful sensibility that shows through clearly and subtly. The tannins are soft and focused, providing finesse and a fine texture that runs the length of the wine.

WS97 Wine Spectator

This Oakville stunner is loaded with cassis, plum reduction and boysenberry pâte de fruit aromas and flavors, all allied to a deeply embedded iron spine. Singed alder and apple wood notes frame the edges, while sparkles of anise, violet and bramble add range and textual nuance. Reveals a great tug of earth late on the finish, with the fruit still dripping at the very end. Built for the cellar.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 4

Good morning,

I need to ask for prayers today. My great niece who was born Monday night has a heart defect and going onto surgery today. She has Transposition of the great Vessels. This means the aorta and the Pulmonary artery are transposed and need to be switched back. Her name is Murphy which was my DS last name. She has a sweet angel in heaven looking out for her. 

I love the quote  and I have been to Ushuaia. It will be another scorcher today so I am off early to the store. 

FC040753-3CFD-4D3E-9F08-BA42CF771A81.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 15

@Oceansaway17  Bon Voyage!  🍾🛳️

Good morning everyone.   We have another gloomy day here after three straight days with rain.  It is cool too but the shut up cabin is staying warm.  

Thanks for the Daily reports!   I forgot my cameras so I am thankful for my phone camera.  With our weather this week we have our share of mud especially on our newly repaired road.  I think Keillor's quote is very true.    We have been to Ushuaia on the Volendam this year.  Rather jealous of the sun and ships at the pier.   We had to tender in with cold weather. 

@summer slope thanks for today's cocktail, a rarely enjoyed treat.  Probably will pass on the meal, we are having pot roast tonight but would bet today's wine would go great with it. 

@JazzyVthanks for keeping our cares and Celebrations reports.    Prayers for everyone needing them and the people of Ukraine.   

We did a private tour since Ushuaia and Tierra del Fuego was a bucket list visit for me.  Our guide Marta Velazquez was wonderful and a lifetime resident except to go to college.   We wanted to see the sights in the National Park so away we went.  Since we had to tender John was worried about time so we couldn't go visit her home.  

image.jpg

IMG_20230129_165150798_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230129_173421772.jpg

IMG_20230129_173230862_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230129_172118479_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230129_173625101_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230129_183004164_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230129_182749812_HDR.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230129_155803273_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230129_162015634_HDR.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

I need to ask for prayers today. My great niece who was born Monday night has a heart defect and going onto surgery today. She has Transposition of the great Vessels. This means the aorta and the Pulmonary artery are transposed and need to be switched back. Her name is Murphy which was my DS last name. She has a sweet angel in heaven looking out for her. 

Prayers lifted up for Murphy and her surgical team. 🙏 

• Like 29

15 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

Praying that Murphy’s surgery is successful & recovery is quick. Bless the surgical team. 

• Like 26

I'm not sure that I understand any of the special days, but I suspect that we're not talking about drywall mud.

I don't know what Vietnamese salad rolls are, but when I've eaten in a Vietnamese restaurant I've liked the food. I'd skip the drink. The wine is out of my budget, so I might substitute Fulkerson Cabernet Sauvignon 2017, " a flavorful dense wine. Robust tobacco leaf and jammy fruit on the nose. Spicy white pepper, mild oak, and sweet bing cherry round out the flavors." I haven't been to Ushuaia, but friends here called there twice during an Antarctic itinerary.

The AQI now is 189, near the top of the "unhealthy" range and 30 points higher than the forecast. The owner of a restaurant nearby was called out for a false alarm early this morning and got this photo.

sunoverchurch.thumb.jpg.da4a9dc3ff65ffe3275e2d704da4861d.jpg

I refilled the cats' dry food (still in the laundry room) when I got home yesterday, and set out more wet food at bedtime. They've eaten all of the latter and some of the former but are still invisible.

proofofdelivery.thumb.jpg.50f82c777425b4cf7031d2f4bb27f61e.jpg

• Like 24
  • Haha 8

Good morning, all! The meal sounds good, and I may try that tonight. DD is visiting from Taiwan. She’s vegetarian, so my usual dinners have altered for the time being. Last night I made one of Debbie’s sweet and sour chicken recipes, using cauliflower bites instead of chicken. It was delicious!

DD is on a working holiday, and spends July in Kamloops with a group of students from Taiwan. She flew in early to have a visit before,she meets her group at Vancouver airport on Sunday.

Fingers crossed I can post this time without my post disappearing. I won’t risk adding a picture!

Happy Thursday, everyone, and cheers to our favorite BHB’s wherever they may be!

• Like 29

Good morning. We have unhealthy air today that is expected to worsen tomorrow. It will get up to 85 or so. Summer here is always humid and it certainly is that outside.

I am on my way to the hospital to meet with the surgical oncology team. There were some complications that started yesterday and decisions need to be made regarding treatment. We are a mere five miles from the hospital but there is a traffic backup from there to here….the main problem with going into Manhattan.

I will check in later when I know more.

Thank you all for keeping us close. It really helps.

Terry

• Like 18
  • Thanks 16

34 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

I love the quote  and I have been to Ushuaia. It will be another scorcher today so I am off early to the store. 

FC040753-3CFD-4D3E-9F08-BA42CF771A81.jpeg

Sending prayers 🙏 urgently for Murphy that today's surgery is successful and she totally recovers.

Graham.

• Like 17