Footwear for MDR

CruiserN1

I am rehabbing a hip injury and can't walk very far wearing anything other than tennis shoes/trainers/sneakers without aggravating it. We leave July 14 on Crown to Alaska. Will there be an issue if I wear athletic footwear to the MDR for dinner? (Not trying to start a debate about proper dress, just want to make sure I'm prepared).

1 minute ago, CruiserN1 said:

I am rehabbing a hip injury and can't walk very far wearing anything other than tennis shoes/trainers/sneakers without aggravating it. We leave July 14 on Crown to Alaska. Will there be an issue if I wear athletic footwear to the MDR for dinner? (Not trying to start a debate about proper dress, just want to make sure I'm prepared).

Do you possibly have some all black tennis shoes / trainers? If they are fairly plain, i don’t think anyone will be looking at your shoes.  I have a mobility issue and am limited with footwear myself, as are many others.  Go and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No problem. I always wear solid black athletic shoes in the MDR. Less packing. The only absolute in the dress code is that shoes must be worn. We've all heard plates and glassware breaking in the MDR.

Despite your wish not to cause debate, it probably will end up there.  Let's keep this about your safety.

Hope your recovery is quick and complete!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No issue at all.  I have done this many times.  That said, my athletic shoes are generally gray, brown, or black.  GENERALLY, I have worn nicer shoes on formal nights but that was by choice.  I will only be bringing athletic style shoes on the cruise that begins this week and feel very comfortable with that even as someone who does take the dress codes seriously.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I always follow the dress code, however just before a cruise awhile back I got a fungal infection on my big toe from a pedicure and had to have the toenail removed. I could not fit that foot into any sort of shoe whatsoever.  So, to my chagrin, I just bought some sparkly sandals, and no one said a word.  I did have that toe completely bandaged so no one would have to look at it.

• Like 4

If you follow fashion (which I don't but...) these days young folks buy very nice new suits and wear good athletic shoes with them. It's odd to me but it's not at all uncommon. You have no reason at all for concern.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

White sneakers happen to be on trend now and worn with everything from casual to dressy outfits, both men and women.  No one will look twice so be comfortable and don't give it another thought.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I think sandals with socks makes a nice fashion statement. 😜

One has to especially love the look of shorts worn with sandals and black knee socks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, CruiserN1 said:

No problem to wear your tennis shoes,sneakers,trainers to dinner on the MDR.Don’t worry about what color they are. Wear what you are able to wear while rehabbing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CruiserN1 said:

I doubt if anyone will say a word about any shoes you choose to wear. They've never been mentioned in any part of a Princess dress code. 

• Like 1

Nothing is more comfy than Birkenstocks with cozy socks on a cold day.  In many parts of Europe if you don’t wear socks with your Birkies you’ll get strange looks.  I’ll be wearing my pink ones on our British Isles cruise in September.

• Like 1

I recall a sign on the college cafeteria entry that said "Shirts and Shoes Are Required  To Eat In the Cafeteria" under which some wag had added "Socks May Eat Anywhere They Want"....this was in the 60s and the height of the hippie era.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3