The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 20th, 2023

richwmn

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The first is Luce which is an Italian red that is a blend Sangiovese and Merlot produced in Montalcino, Italy.  I found on-line prices from $99.99 to $119.99.  They produce a much less expensive wine, Luce Lucente which sells for $19.99.  We have not tasted that wine.  My other suggestion is Opus One, a California Bordeaux style wine based on Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.  It was developed by Baron Phillipe de Rothschild and Robert Mondavi, and is still one of the most expensive California wines.  The on-line prices I found range from $389.99 to $425.95.  At least, we have been privileged to taste it a couple of times.

image.jpeg.eb6fb8f6d9907efd964b13e0c610ea61.jpegshopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyU_tiwgdv3xWNr8CQuL4iMGQNc6OqJuXMAeyP8VJsG-94TpfHDenq1ZN1pXVA5WZoruKQ2TC-Utz93ztYN4NDGzf1D94hKebReutWlFo

Opus = Bob and Phil's big red.

I don't think I have ever had Opus.  Let me tell you about Mrs. XBGuy.  She was a chef in her working life.  She did not work in a restaurant.  She was a Corporate Chef for Lawry's Foods--the company that produces the seasoned salt.  Among her responsibilities was to develop recipes that were uses as marketing collateral for Lawry's products,  Think about recipes on neck hangers, back labels, periodical advertisement, hand outs.  

I always told unmarried people to marry a chef because you get to do the funnest things.  I was able to go along on multiple trips to Napa Valley.  Usually, I would be on my own while she was doing whatever she had to do, but I was able to keep myself occupied.  However, on two different trips her work responsibilities included participating in a vertical tasting at Opus.  Yes, I was envious.

I have had Luce della Vite--more than once on some Princess cruises.  It is a terrific wine.  Just a couple years ago I learned that that this winery was also is also a partnership with Robert Mondavi--this time with the Frescobaldi family in Tuscany.  The Frescobaldi's bought bought out Mondavi quite some time ago, 

Sine a lot of people are posting their own wines, today, I'll show this one.

IMG_1358.jpg.117d316995146a4ed5e9513d427e695c.jpg

Mrs. XBGuy wanted to have a Thanksgiving style turkey dinner.  I don't drink many sparklers, but I think they make the Thanksgiving event that much more festive.  This is a Chardonnay/Pinot Noir cuvee from, of course, California.  I get a kick out of the name of the winery--Under the Wire.  It is a label owned by Morgan Twain- Peterson, whose Bedrock Wine Co. is a big favorite among California wine geeks

Luce dee

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Hi Everyone!

Great conversation and pictures of a variety of things on the thread today. Thanks to all contributors especially @richwmn for keeping things going daily.

We had typical MN Summer severe thunderstorms yesterday evening; lots of wind, some rain and power outages. It would have been nice to get more rain though. My power was out for 2 hours. Not bad really considering some people still had power out this morning.

I like hot dogs but do not eat them often; I do like ice cream sodas but not sure what the difference between those and an ice cream float. I think we called them the same thing growing up.

I liked lollipops when I was a kid but can't remember the last time I had one.

@cruising sister how wonderful that sweet baby Murphy is progressing well. Thanks for letting us know. 

@dfish very exciting that your travel/cruise(s) are here now! Safe travels and Bon Voyage. 😊

@durangoscots I am also on the AUS/NZ GV, the booking of SE is quite the job. Lots of details to keep track of. I now have lists of lists in my planning for the cruise.

Prayers for us all, in addtion to extra prayers to anyone having any difficult challenges in their life.

Celebrations and cheers to all having good news and fun in their life; yes the memes still make me laugh out loud.🤣

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Take care,

Caron

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Wow, the sage and Marigolds have grown!  Like I said, I didn't have much luck growing anything when we lived in a hot, dry place, so I think you're doing well.  I wonder if the Zinnias didn't get enough light after the sage and Marigolds overshadowed them (?)  Jacqui @kazu any thoughts?  

@Quartzsite Cruiser’s comments are interesting on the ones that survived.

generally, zinnias need a lot of sunlight and good air circulation.  I don’t grow them here much as there are only a couple of safe spots for them and my annuals are limited.  (I don’t consider bulbs annuals 😉 )  My experience is if  you don’t dead head them they will go to seed and plants can  die off quickly since they’ve served their purpose.

I’ve discovered that certain plants just don’t like certain places or micro climates.  And other ones will grow that shouldn’t.  I have a couple here that grow in certain spots in my gardens even though my zone is technically too cold for them.  They won’t grow anywhere else though.  there are also plants that just don’t grow here and I have no idea why.  I stopped planting lavender years ago.  It just doesn’t come back after the winter even though it should.

You might want to experiment with annuals next year and see which ones are “happy” and then stick with them.   Just a few ideas.

• Like 15

15 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

Hi Everyone!

Great conversation and pictures of a variety of things on the thread today. Thanks to all contributors especially @richwmn for keeping things going daily.

We had typical MN Summer severe thunderstorms yesterday evening; lots of wind, some rain and power outages. It would have been nice to get more rain though. My power was out for 2 hours. Not bad really considering some people still had power out this morning.

I like hot dogs but do not eat them often; I do like ice cream sodas but not sure what the difference between those and an ice cream float. I think we called them the same thing growing up.

I liked lollipops when I was a kid but can't remember the last time I had one.

@cruising sister how wonderful that sweet baby Murphy is progressing well. Thanks for letting us know. 

@dfish very exciting that your travel/cruise(s) are here now! Safe travels and Bon Voyage. 😊

@durangoscots I am also on the AUS/NZ GV, the booking of SE is quite the job. Lots of details to keep track of. I now have lists of lists in my planning for the cruise.

Prayers for us all, in addtion to extra prayers to anyone having any difficult challenges in their life.

Celebrations and cheers to all having good news and fun in their life; yes the memes still make me laugh out loud.🤣

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Take care,

Caron

Caron, I think the difference between an ice cream soda and a ice cream float is basically the method of making them.  Both have carbonated water, but in an ice cream soda it is often ice cream, flavor from syrup, maybe cream.  With a float you put the ice cream in the glass and pour canned soda, i.e. Coke or root beer.  The Food Network says the terms are interchangeable, but I've seen them made differently.

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

generally, zinnias need a lot of sunlight and good air circulation.  I don’t grow them here much as there are only a couple of safe spots for them and my annuals are limited.  (I don’t consider bulbs annuals 😉 )  My experience is if  you don’t dead head them they will go to seed and plants can  die off quickly since they’ve served their purpose.

I’ve discovered that certain plants just don’t like certain places or micro climates.  And other ones will grow that shouldn’t.  I have a couple here that grow in certain spots in my gardens even though my zone is technically too cold for them.  They won’t grow anywhere else though.  there are also plants that just don’t grow here and I have no idea why.  I stopped planting lavender years ago.  It just doesn’t come back after the winter even though it should.

You might want to experiment with annuals next year and see which ones are “happy” and then stick with them.   Just a few ideas.

Jacqui, thanks for the information.  It's curious since it was the zinnias in full sun with room around them that died.  I tried to deadhead them, but was not a vigilant as I probably should have been.  The ironic thing is, two or three years ago when I planted both flowers in the same flower bed, it was the marigolds that died and the zinnias that lived.  I suspect our weather this year may have played a part in what happened.  As I told Carolyn @Cruising-along , with my track record, I'm just happy something lived and there is color in the flower bed.  As you can probably tell, I'm not a serious gardener.  Basically, I'll stick something in the ground, cross my fingers, and hope for the best.  Until Covid, we were rarely here in the summer, so flowers and gardening were not a high priority.  All the permanent plants are Texas drought tolerant.

36 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Opus = Bob and Phil's big red.

I don't think I have ever had Opus.  Let me tell you about Mrs. XBGuy.  She was a chef in her working life.  She did not work in a restaurant.  She was a Corporate Chef for Lawry's Foods--the company that produces the seasoned salt.  Among her responsibilities was to develop recipes that were uses as marketing collateral for Lawry's products,  Think about recipes on neck hangers, back labels, periodical advertisement, hand outs.  

I always told unmarried people to marry a chef because you get to do the funnest things.  I was able to go along on multiple trips to Napa Valley.  Usually, I would be on my own while she was doing whatever she had to do, but I was able to keep myself occupied.  However, on two different trips her work responsibilities included participating in a vertical tasting at Opus.  Yes, I was envious.

I have had Luce della Vite--more than once on some Princess cruises.  It is a terrific wine.  Just a couple years ago I learned that that this winery was also is also a partnership with Robert Mondavi--this time with the Frescobaldi family in Tuscany.  The Frescobaldi's bought bought out Mondavi quite some time ago, 

Sine a lot of people are posting their own wines, today, I'll show this one.

IMG_1358.jpg.117d316995146a4ed5e9513d427e695c.jpg

Mrs. XBGuy wanted to have a Thanksgiving style turkey dinner.  I don't drink many sparklers, but I think they make the Thanksgiving event that much more festive.  This is a Chardonnay/Pinot Noir cuvee from, of course, California.  I get a kick out of the name of the winery--Under the Wire.  It is a label owned by Morgan Twain- Peterson, whose Bedrock Wine Co. is a big favorite among California wine geeks

Luce dee

From reading many of your posts, I think you'd like Opus One.  As I said earlier, we were lucking to be able to taste it at a few Premium wine tastings on Princess.  Opus One was why we even paid for and went to the tastings.  We bought one bottle of Opus One about 20 years ago as a thank you gift from friends who are into fine wines.  It is a lot more expensive now than it was back then.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks Jacqui, I agree and have had the same experience.  Gardening can be one big experiment sometimes.  I can't count the number of plants I've replaced.  We're the original owners of the home, so I started from scratch.  

25 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Jacqui, thanks for the information.  It's curious since it was the zinnias in full sun with room around them that died.  I tried to deadhead them, but was not a vigilant as I probably should have been.  The ironic thing is, two or three years ago when I planted both flowers in the same flower bed, it was the marigolds that died and the zinnias that lived.  I suspect our weather this year may have played a part in what happened.  As I told Carolyn @Cruising-along , with my track record, I'm just happy something lived and there is color in the flower bed.  As you can probably tell, I'm not a serious gardener.  Basically, I'll stick something in the ground, cross my fingers, and hope for the best.  Until Covid, we were rarely here in the summer, so flowers and gardening were not a high priority.  All the permanent plants are Texas drought tolerant.

Lenda

Yes, curious indeed!  

• Like 11

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

@grapau27, Graham, that is such a nice picture  of you.Thank you for sharing  it.

We got back in one piece  and now go forward with the next  step  next week.DH did fairly well with walking,waiting and standing for quite a while.It was less humid today and down by the hospital there  is a great breeze from the river.I will take it!

Thank you for your nice words Terry.

I'm pleased today went well for you both.

Best wishes for next week.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 9

Good afternoon. I have to go back and catch up. 

I’m beat. I was out doing yard work from about 11 to 3:30. I was struggling to finish up the last of it. Picked up a ton of sticks, trimmed the evergreens on both sides ( neither mine) that don’t allow me to mow without ducking down, raked the sidewalk and grass strip as the sycamore is shedding its bark and finally edging all around. I thought maybe I could mow before the possible storm tonight, but I’m out of energy.  Sadly I’m out of popsicles, which usually cool me down fast. So guzzling zero sugar Powerade. 

And now possible 60 mph winds, rain and tornado watch, so the yard could be a mess by tomorrow. 

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon Dailyites!  I'm heading to work soon, so here goes

when i was young, i used to "get lost" in B. Altman's at the candy counter.  I never cried, I just said I couldnt find my mommy....i always got to choose a lollipop while someone on the PA would locate Mom.  Licorice was my favorite.

i am a fan of root beer floats

i used to eat hot dogs, but then my doc said i had to eat healthier food.  I broke down one day and bought some Hebrew National (DH's and my favorite brand) and we both got sick.  That was a year ago, and i have not had one since.

Today in history, while up late watching the moon landing, I wrote my first song.  It was about relationships not lasting.  The next day, the boy I was dating (the one who had the Woody Wagon) broke up with me.  Broke my heart.  Oh well, apparently his mom didn't think I was good enough.

So when I decided to date the next guy,  he had a Porche.

I know I'm a car snob, who drives a jeep product. No class, just have no class.

DH got home, with luggage last night.  His mom called and wanted to know why he left....(cause she told him to)  best that he's home. Oncologist is exploring the proton radiation for DH not so much the chemo, too many side effects with this new product..

e9e9a687d6e4183fc8fb2745f1938098--kliban-cat-cartoon-cats.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I’m beat. I was out doing yard work from about 11 to 3:30. I was struggling to finish up the last of it. Picked up a ton of sticks, trimmed the evergreens on both sides ( neither mine) that don’t allow me to mow without ducking down, raked the sidewalk and grass strip as the sycamore is shedding its bark and finally edging all around. I thought maybe I could mow before the possible storm tonight, but I’m out of energy.  Sadly I’m out of popsicles, which usually cool me down fast. So guzzling zero sugar Powerade. 

And now possible 60 mph winds, rain and tornado watch, so the yard could be a mess by tomorrow. 

Vanessa, I hope the winds are that high and don't undo all your hard work today.

6 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good afternoon Dailyites!  I'm heading to work soon, so here goes

when i was young, i used to "get lost" in B. Altman's at the candy counter.  I never cried, I just said I couldnt find my mommy....i always got to choose a lollipop while someone on the PA would locate Mom.  Licorice was my favorite.

i am a fan of root beer floats

i used to eat hot dogs, but then my doc said i had to eat healthier food.  I broke down one day and bought some Hebrew National (DH's and my favorite brand) and we both got sick.  That was a year ago, and i have not had one since.

Today in history, while up late watching the moon landing, I wrote my first song.  It was about relationships not lasting.  The next day, the boy I was dating (the one who had the Woody Wagon) broke up with me.  Broke my heart.  Oh well, apparently his mom didn't think I was good enough.

So when I decided to date the next guy,  he had a Porche.

I know I'm a car snob, who drives a jeep product. No class, just have no class.

DH got home, with luggage last night.  His mom called and wanted to know why he left....(cause she told him to)  best that he's home. Oncologist is exploring the proton radiation for DH not so much the chemo, too many side effects with this new product..

e9e9a687d6e4183fc8fb2745f1938098--kliban-cat-cartoon-cats.jpg

Annie, I'm glad your DH and his luggage made it home safely.  I'm also glad the oncologist is taking side effects into consideration when deciding between the proton radiation and the new chemo drug.  Whatever he decides, I hope it works to make Chuck cancer free without really bad side effects.

One of my projects the last few years has been to go through all the pictures on the computer to try to get them to look their best, and to weed out the bad ones and the duplicates.  Today, while going through pictures from a 2011 cruise on Prinsendam, I discovered we had been to Skjolden, Norway.  When it was the port of the day, I had said we'd not been there, and I guessed I missed looking at that particular cruise's photos.  That is one of the few ports we've visited that I didn't remember.  I did remember the tour we took that day up into the mountains to a National Park near the ice fields, but just didn't remember the port.

Here are few of my pictures of Skjolden that are mainly focused on Sognefjord.  We'll begin with the Prinsendam docked at the end of the fjord.

P1020863.thumb.JPG.2609b92e6134a2efba0dea9e0ce8ca34.JPG

P1020864.thumb.JPG.aac461309085fff3237163e56d4b82d6.JPG

P1020866.thumb.JPG.cb491f223286b688fa43d334896c07ff.JPG

P1020868.thumb.JPG.105d31447561f5919c91d4d372ffd29c.JPG

P1020859.thumb.JPG.1f6f9727c8d19c2dc79ea8e5b133f19f.JPG

P1020860.thumb.JPG.58bf1b2664b82bdd06d94799a2ea29bc.JPG

The Skjolden Hotel

P1020855.thumb.JPG.44944b5a1687782e786fb9d6c30c3149.JPG

The hydroelectric generator up close

P1020862.thumb.JPG.4a213cfb3030556b3c89120aae98a5ed.JPG

A river heading to the fjord

The fjord

P1020856.thumb.JPG.6d002ab7ae8889f7d6db1ad278b7fe01.JPG

P1020858.thumb.JPG.e749b83e4327f503759954e72cf85309.JPG

P1020861.thumb.JPG.0c5608fe1942d758f1d87e1be4ee3dcd.JPG

Lenda

P1020869.JPG

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Gosh, Vanessa!

This could be you!

IMG_1501.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 15

26 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Vanessa, I hope the winds are that high and don't undo all your hard work today.

Annie, I'm glad your DH and his luggage made it home safely.  I'm also glad the oncologist is taking side effects into consideration when deciding between the proton radiation and the new chemo drug.  Whatever he decides, I hope it works to make Chuck cancer free without really bad side effects.

One of my projects the last few years has been to go through all the pictures on the computer to try to get them to look their best, and to weed out the bad ones and the duplicates.  Today, while going through pictures from a 2011 cruise on Prinsendam, I discovered we had been to Skjolden, Norway.  When it was the port of the day, I had said we'd not been there, and I guessed I missed looking at that particular cruise's photos.  That is one of the few ports we've visited that I didn't remember.  I did remember the tour we took that day up into the mountains to a National Park near the ice fields, but just didn't remember the port.

Here are few of my pictures of Skjolden that are mainly focused on Sognefjord.  We'll begin with the Prinsendam docked at the end of the fjord.

P1020863.thumb.JPG.2609b92e6134a2efba0dea9e0ce8ca34.JPG

P1020864.thumb.JPG.aac461309085fff3237163e56d4b82d6.JPG

P1020866.thumb.JPG.cb491f223286b688fa43d334896c07ff.JPG

P1020868.thumb.JPG.105d31447561f5919c91d4d372ffd29c.JPG

P1020859.thumb.JPG.1f6f9727c8d19c2dc79ea8e5b133f19f.JPG

The Skjolden Hotel

P1020855.thumb.JPG.44944b5a1687782e786fb9d6c30c3149.JPG

The hydroelectric generator up close

P1020862.thumb.JPG.4a213cfb3030556b3c89120aae98a5ed.JPG

A river heading to the fjord

The fjord

P1020856.thumb.JPG.6d002ab7ae8889f7d6db1ad278b7fe01.JPG

P1020858.thumb.JPG.e749b83e4327f503759954e72cf85309.JPG

P1020861.thumb.JPG.0c5608fe1942d758f1d87e1be4ee3dcd.JPG

Lenda

P1020869.JPG

Nice photos Lenda.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm now cooled down and hydrated. Now to think about what to eat for dinner. I think something easy, like grilled chicken on a salad.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the photos from Skjolden. Love the rapids and the waterfall.

@Cruzin Terri I'm sorry to hear that the weather is again not great today and that you're ready to disembark.

@durangoscots Scary how close that bear was to the house! Good thing the dumpster is bear proof. It sounds like you're doing a much better job than I on sorting and getting rid of stuff; I've been slacking, but I blame my trouble getting around at time.

@Quartzsite Cruiser You got all the toys for outdoor cooking and I have none. I did have a grill, but I didn't use it much as it was a pain to get out of the garage. I look at smokers, but again with cooking for one I talk myself out of it. Wow on those wines - I doubt I'll ever taste them. Great photos from Sognefjord. And Skjolden.

@RMLincoln That's a very nice present for DGD and her husband-to-be. 

@grapau27 You look very dapper in that photo.

@smitty34877 I'm glad to hear that DH did well with the exertion of going to his appointment today.

@marshhawk Well, that was a clever way to get a lollipop! I'm glad DH got home safely, with his luggage. Hopefully what plan the Oncologist comes up with DH will tolerate well.

@cat shepard That was me!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

image.png.ed7761879b12830447b0933a78c5f7fd.png

Called our HAL PCC and asked her to check the cruises we booked to add the Crew Appreciation (I think B2B2B2B2?). She did one better noting 3 of 

the fares went down by several hundred dollars! (Christmas cruise wasn't included) But I'm so happy that I ordered more toys for Oliver and breaking out the champagne for my Mahjongg girls tonight!

image.png.dc41b44d91d4e22689f440537def432c.png

• Like 19

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Wow! No wonder you are beat 😔 

Yikes on the winds coming and rain.  Praying the tornados don’t get to you.

Hope the worst of it passes you by.  Stay safe.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

LOL on your trick to get lollipops.  

Glad Chuck is home and with luggage even 👍. I am glad to hear his oncologist is being thorough.  I hope he/she can find the right solution for your DH and it does the trick 🙏 

• Like 13

Seeing what people were doing on this day of the Moon walk in 1969, decided to see what I was doing at that time.  We were living in new Navy housing on Treasure Island, San Francisco and I was teaching at an advanced Navy electronics school there.  Sara was working for an insurance company in SF and our daughter was four years old.  I had just been selected for advancement to chief petty officer and was waiting to be initiated.  The Vietnam war was pretty intense and the news was mentioning the high numbers of body bags coming home each day.  In less than a year, I will have been selected for advancement to Warrant Officer and be on my way to Vung Tau, Vietnam to relieve the Electronics Repair Officer on the USS Hector there.  As I was now an officer, we had to move out of Navy enlisted housing.  Tried to rent a house in the area, but most didn't want you if you had a young child.  So it was easier to buy a house in Berkeley at the time.  Surprising how things have changed since then.

Ray

• Like 14

Good afternoon, Dailyites!  We have had visitors the last few days, they left two hours ago, and are now on the ferry, and we are worn out!  But it was fun being tourists with them, we had the "scenic drive" yesterday, plus visits to the cemetery where my cousin's parents are buried and shopping for things you can only get here - tea and chocolates....  Today was a visit to Butchart's, it was really hot!

We visited Flam on the Ryndam and enjoyed our Norway cruise so much, we had DD with us and she is great fun.  Sailing in and out of Sognefjord was very impressive.

P1020669.thumb.JPG.a123116f70cdbba4aadb129fcf8ef19b.JPG

P1020710.thumb.JPG.70f75a436a927390842d479bbe793013.JPG

P1020654.thumb.JPG.496fdf4ac9108585716f54068e6b2445.JPG

P1040571.thumb.JPG.537b702829d7ed80d5e82338e85a7f1f.JPG

P1020457.thumb.JPG.0879f9d71e1c10756f77bde1f58ae8a9.JPG

P1020449.thumb.JPG.9429d45980d955dde33a35858efa9ff9.JPG

P1020665.thumb.JPG.d2003524355e49b3d746c9e592bcb4d8.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 18

Good morning.

It is overcast and 54°F here at 08.25am.

I was reading an article which said Amsterdam cruise terminal is closing.

They are building a new bridge which will restrict cruise ships.

This corresponds with a notification we got that a cruise next spring the port has changed to Rotterdam from Amsterdam for Operational Reasons.

• Like 5