Cancelling cruise with no insurance

happy5

We are booked on a cruise leaving in 2 weeks.. we did not take out insurance as we are healthy.. BUT  now we aren’t!!

my husband will be having a heart procedure one week before our cruise and probably will not be able to cruise.. I know we should have taken out the insurance and it was a gamble that we lost.

my question is … has anyone had any luck getting the cruise line to give some of the $$$ for a future cruise? Or anything?

There is still a small chance after his procedure that we will be able to go but highly unlikely.

thanks

Sorry that you have gambled and lost and I hope he does well, but you are most probably out of luck.  All you can do is ask but be prepared for a “no”.    A few cruisers have reported some compassionate pricing, but most are simply out the money for the cruise

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, happy5 said:

We are booked on a cruise leaving in 2 weeks.. we did not take out insurance as we are healthy.. BUT  now we aren’t!!

my husband will be having a heart procedure one week before our cruise and probably will not be able to cruise.. I know we should have taken out the insurance and it was a gamble that we lost.

my question is … has anyone had any luck getting the cruise line to give some of the $$$ for a future cruise? Or anything?

There is still a small chance after his procedure that we will be able to go but highly unlikely.

thanks

I've heard of folks that were able to move the booking to another date without penalty due to unanticipated medical issues, even without insurance.

I'd call in to see what they can do for you. They probably would want to move you right away rather than let you wait and see if you're fit for travel after the procedure. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

h5 sorry to hear of the health situation, especially so close to your sailing...

The best advice anyone can provide it to immediately call your point of reservation and ask, be prepared for a no but happy if there is some accommodation provided.

Usually, it is a no from previous postings, but there are a few accommodations posted as well...

Time is ticking, so get on the phone to ask ASAP...

In health and bon voyage

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, happy5 said:

thanks

Check the benefits guide of the credit card you paid for the cruise with. There might be trip cancellation insurance for a qualified medical event. I canceled a cruise within one week of sailing due to a doctor deeming my wife not fit to travel. I was made completely whole by my credit card's travel insurance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, happy5 said:

thanks

I would say you have had a lucky escape.

All you have lost is the cost of your cruise.

Just imagine the possible consequences if your husband had been taken ill on the cruise.

Everyone is healthy until they aren't - always, always have insurance.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I hope your husband has a positive result from the procedure and good health going forward.

As the other posters have mentioned, try your credit card company to see about any health cancellation coverage and of course try Celebrity , maybe the Captains club extension, it is worth a try , possibly for a future booking transfer or such.

All The Best 🍀 going forward.

• Thanks 1

Had to cancel a week prior to cruise due to medical issue.   Contacted celebrity and they offered to move the cruise 2 months out.  Wouldn’t work for us.  No insurance with Celebrity but did thru my credit card but did not disclose this  to celebrity. Did receive my payment from the credit card insurance.  When you call to cancel, request a letter stating what you will lose and what will be credited back.  This was required for the insurance company thru the credit card if you are covered. 

Edited by gfkcruiser
Additional comment
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

We had to cancel a cruise, and we did not have their travel insurance.   I submitted a letter from my surgeon saying no travel, and Celebrity issued a FCC minus a small fee   

wishing a Speedy recover for your husband 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are always healthy until you are not is so true.  Being home rather than onboard is so much better with or without insurance.  I am sure that Celebrity will work with you regarding this situation.  Evidently, you do not have a TA, so call immediately.  Hopefully, everything will work out in a positive way and you can continue to cruise in the near future with insurance.

• Thanks 1

We got refunds from Celebrity because of Covid last year when we HAD insurance but didn't need it.  We got our money back and insurance let us move it to another trip.  Your situation is quite different however.  I am only 56 but I've been buying insurance the last few years.  I no longer see myself as invincible.

I hope your husband is A-OK.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

If you used a credit card to pay for your cruise, it may offer some insurance.

Only if it is not determined to be a pre-existing condition. The insurance company will examine medical records for 60 days prior to initial deposit. Any treatment for something seen as contributing to current issue could result in denial of claim.

• Thanks 2

I'm so sorry about this situation.  Wishing the best to your husband. 

My experience was quite a few years ago (possible 8 or 9 years), but I called Celebrity because I had a medical issue (not a heart procedure; much less serious) and Celebrity moved my cruise departure date forward a month or so.  I actually had insurance but was concerned that the insurance company might argue that it was a pre-existing condition. Was utterly impressed!  It saved my vacation and months of doctors reports, claim forms, invoices, credit card statements, telephone questioning and multiple rounds of paperwork to be reimbursed from insurance company (what I had to produce years ago when my elderly father was diagnosed with cancer 3 days before an extended trip which I had to cancel.) 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

I also hope for the best for our OP and spouse -- hope the procedure is successful, and they are able to either move the cruise date or obtain some restitution.  

Am I missing something here?

The original poster accepted that they gambled and lost.

Even if X did agree to a change of date the passengers would be cruising after just having surgery/treatment for a heart condition and without any medical cover - this sounds like an even bigger gamble not a recipe for a relaxing cruise.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Am I missing something here?

The original poster accepted that they gambled and lost.

Even if X did agree to a change of date the passengers would be cruising after just having surgery/treatment for a heart condition and without any medical cover - this sounds like an even bigger gamble not a recipe for a relaxing cruise.

Well, if they were able to move the cruise out, presumably they could buy insurance now for the new date. Wouldn't cover cancelation, but hopefully it would cover any medical emergencies. Also, we don't know what the procedure is. It could be relatively minor with little chance of serious side effects after a week or two passes.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

Well, if they were able to move the cruise out, presumably they could buy insurance now for the new date. Wouldn't cover cancelation, but hopefully it would cover any medical emergencies. Also, we don't know what the procedure is. It could be relatively minor with little chance of serious side effects after a week or two passes.

No medical Insurance we could buy would cover us for this scenario. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, the penguins said:

No medical Insurance we could buy would cover us for this scenario. 

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

In the UK in that scenario the insurance policy would cost more than the cruise,,,,that’s if you could get a company that would cover you.

• Like 2