Alfredo’s

Purdey16

1 hour ago, Knickearth said:

Sorry, but we always went to the vines before dinner and had drinks.  We could get tapas or sushi with no charge.  Both items are gone and have been replaced and called casual dining.

Vines did not have any food on 3 of our last four cruises 

2 hours ago, Pat King said:

I don't get it. The MDR is included in your fare. If it costs you to eat at Alfredo's, why would you not just have a good meal without a charge in the main dining room?

I don't understand it either as pizza is about the cheapest item to feed people aside from pasta. I don't eat pizza on the ship so I guess they losing money every time I eat in the DR or buffet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I don't understand it either as pizza is about the cheapest item to feed people aside from pasta. I don't eat pizza on the ship so I guess they losing money every time I eat in the DR or buffet.

Cheap maybe, depending on the ingredients and cooking method. Big difference between a frozen microwaved pizza and one handmade with fresh ingredients in a wood fired oven. I suspect that Alfredo's is somewhere in between but closer to the latter. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Can someone tell me what the changes at Alfredo are. I haven’t taken a cruise. Since my wife got sick.

She loved Alfredos.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

DSCN0234.jpeg

We're sorry to hear about your wife Tony! ❤️  

The Countess and the Commoner  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pat King said:

I don't get it. The MDR is included in your fare. If it costs you to eat at Alfredo's, why would you not just have a good meal without a charge in the main dining room?

Also, it would probably be less cost to Princess to feed you in the pizzeria thlan the MDRs.
I loved eating at Alfedo's, but....

We have spent 28 days cruising on Princess and never thought about going to Alfredo's or Gigi's at dinnertime.  But lunchtime is a whole other animal, especially on a port day when it's the lone sit down option.  At least on embarkation and sea days you can go to the MDR if they have something to your liking.  We were never thrilled with the buffet options for lunch, so we enjoyed Alfredo's/Gigi's, but the wait times were ridiculous.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ExploringTheGlobe said:

I disagree with people saying this is nickel and diming.  Of all the dining locations now categorized as Casual Dining, Alfredo's/Gigi's is the only one that was complementary before.  All the others had a charge. Now if you have a fare package, all those locations are included, either twice with the Plus or unlimited with Premier.  To me, this is making all these options more inclusive and I like it!

It is different for everyone, but from my point of view, we only use complimentary dining. We enjoyed Alfredo's for lunch - complimentary - and now will have to either have plus or pay. Along with the additional charge to activate ordering food with the medallion and the new room service charges, it is more charges for things that were included. Yes they are relatively small charges, hence "nickel and diming".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I am not sure I have seen a line that long at Alfredo's, but we would never wait.  Would adjust arrival time or do the buffet or MDR.  Never going to wait an hour to eat on a ship - that's not fun at all.

Not us either.  We haven’t waited more than 5 mins to be seated. But, this was before this last change to charge a fee. 

I’ve waited in line to order at the Trident Grill (15 minutes).  Then received a pager for my order (plate of fries) and 15 minutes later I watched as a large plate of fries was given to a passenger that hadn’t even placed an order.  I assumed it was a relative or friend of one of the crew.  I put my pager down and walked away.  Actually lost 6 pounds on that cruise.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Not us either.  We haven’t waited more than 5 mins to be seated. But, this was before this last change to charge a fee. 

On the Discovery in June minimum wait of 1 hour on sea days around lunch time. The more families to longer the wait. On the Alaska cruise they were awash in kids

• Like 5

On 9/3/2023 at 3:45 PM, Crystaltipps67 said:

Plus package only gives you two casual dining meals regardless of length of cruise and there are other places to choose from (Vines/Ocean Terrace) to use those credits. I love Alfredos but am unlikely to use my meagre two credits there as I don't want/can't manage a 3 course meal there and so I'll use my credits for sushi instead! Let's hope that the empty tables prompts a re-think.

Let's hope they do reconsider. Alfredo's was always a fun place to go for a dinner when you did not feel like going to the more formal feel in the MDR. The pizza was really very good, and the staff liked working there, and it showed.
(From experience, maybe 20 dinners there.)

Edited by Pat King

27 minutes ago, Pat King said:

Let's hope they do reconsider. Alfredo's was always a fun place to go for a dinner when you did not feel like going to the more formal feel in the MDR. The pizza was really very good, and the staff liked working there, and it showed.
(From experience, maybe 20 dinners there.)

You do not need to order the 3 courses on the Fixed menu and utilize your credits.  We ate there two times on our recent Sky cruise,  ordered alacarte, salad and specialty pizza to share.   We did not have the upgraded Plus package.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

We were told there was an hour wait the last time we tried to dine there.

19 hours ago, memoak said:

On the Discovery in June minimum wait of 1 hour on sea days around lunch time. The more families to longer the wait. On the Alaska cruise they were awash in kids

With a plethora of half eaten pizzas for sure.  Mommy and Daddy will be getting the free slices for their little darlings up at Slice now that there's a charge at Alfredo's/Gigi's.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/4/2023 at 12:52 AM, 4cats4me said:

Same here. Once we can cruise again, we plan on sailing with Virgin Voyages, Oceania, and Silver Sea.  
On Virgin the food looks spectacular and everything is included.  No upcharge venues.
And all adults, an added benefit.  😊 

Oceania is not adult only and I don’t think Silversea is.

• Thanks 1

I really don't care about the charge for pizza at Alfredo's. Yes, we eat there. No, we wouldn't' eat there if we had an hour wait. There are too dang many people and a lot of them order stuff they never actually eat. I am somewhat boggled the venue was "free" for so long. 

It's like other recent changes. For a long time Princess staff have been removing (and tossing) a ton (possibly not even an exaggeration) of pizz from staterooms. Heck, it was $3 to have a pizza delivered. There were 3 kinds of pizza available for room service. What the heck! Let's get one of each kind and two or more of the one we "know" we will like. While these changes are obviously "revenue driven" one can't really help but understand how the justification for some of the changes came about.

(Okay, many here will already know I tend to blame JP for pretty much any and all negative changes to Princess. One look at his incredibly phony "smile" tends to convince folks that, while perhaps not actually the Devil, he is almost certainly a Demon.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Does Princess plus allow for just ordering a single pizza ala carte or do we have to order the two seperate 3 course meals.  The reason I ask is we usually just want to share a pizza and order some drinks and I someone said they do not allow sharing of the 3 course meal which implies we would have to order two and that would be just wasteful.