Monday November 6th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

@JazzyV I am so sad to read of your continued pain and I agree what is with the social worker?  Prayers for you.   

Joshua Dobbs was amazing, I watched a lot of the Vikings game due to so many ads.   He didn't even know the name of his center and another major player but he did so well after only being with the team for 5 days.  I was listening on Mad Dog Sports that Dobbs is so brilliant he will have a future as an astronaut after the NFL.   

• Like 15

5 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Had a massage yesterday and had her work on my legs and lower back.  I get the MRI today and the ortho doc appt is next week.  I hope to get a game plan done.

Hope the MRI went smoothly and your Ortho doctor can help you with a game plan for recovery 🤞 

5 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

I need to get a new skeleton!!

You are not alone 😉 Aging is not all it’s cracked up to be.

6 hours ago, dfish said:

It is so quiet here without River.  When they got close to her house yesterday she told Sue she wished she didn't have to go back there.   It hurts to hear that from her and know that legally we can't do anything except be watchful.  

That is so sad, Debbie 😢. Thank heavens she has you and Sue ♥️ 

51 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Well I had good luck at the new oral surgeon, they accept my insurance and I am scheduled for Wednesday morning for my molar to be filled. 

Great news!  So glad you will have the tooth tended to 👍 

@rafinmd great news on an uneventful trip 👍 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is Basketball Day, National Ladies Learning Code Day, and National Saxophone Day

The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. - Dave Barry

Meal Suggestion for today - Butternut Squash Carbonara Pasta
Drink of the Day - Sqrrl Top Banana
Wine of the Day - 2021 Fleur de Mer Rosé
Destination of the Day - Pulau Komodo Island East Nusa Tenggara Indonesia

Today in History:
1813 Chilpancingo congress declares Mexico independent of Spain

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 11-07

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Francisco, California eta 11-07

Nieuw Amsterdam

New Orleans, Port NOLA, Louisiana 17:00 - 07 Nov 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Messina, Sicily Italy eta 11-07

Oosterdam

Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain

Rotterdam

Bonaire

Volendam

At Sea Destination Raiatea Island, Uturoa, French Polynesia eta 11-07

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Port Stanley, East Falkland Island eta 11-12

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Port Victoria, Seychelles eta 11-10

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Brisbane, Queensland Australia eta 11-09

Westerdam

Boracay Island, Caticlan, Philippines 08:00 - 15:00

1106World.thumb.png.93d8df1db5a54cc4d58851fd4c6ed04e.png

The fleet is very spread out today!  Nieuw Amsterdam in New Orleans; is that the first time in a long time a Holland America ship has been there?  Zuiderdam has cleared the Red Sea after passing thru the Suez and being rather close to the Israel/Gaza war.  I haven't read any reports or news from the Zuiderdam which is surprising since it is on its Grand Africa itinerary.  Zaandam is offshore of its Antarctica portion of its Grand South America and was viewing huge icebergs today.  It must be extra challenging for corporate to keep ships in such far away locales provisioned and supported.

• Like 13

47 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

The fleet is very spread out today!  Nieuw Amsterdam in New Orleans; is that the first time in a long time a Holland America ship has been there?  Zuiderdam has cleared the Red Sea after passing thru the Suez and being rather close to the Israel/Gaza war.  I haven't read any reports or news from the Zuiderdam which is surprising since it is on its Grand Africa itinerary.  Zaandam is offshore of its Antarctica portion of its Grand South America and was viewing huge icebergs today.  It must be extra challenging for corporate to keep ships in such far away locales provisioned and supported.

I agree does HA visit NO? 

• Like 4

@rafinmd saw a wonderful piece on our 4-5PM  local news on the "Converse Conductor". A new conductor for the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra who is a young black man, still in his 30s.  Thank goodness for the long profile because it updated me on the wonderful memories of the BSO.  I am sure you have heard him a lot before is he staying with the older classics or staying in the Marin Alsop mode with newer 20th Century music?  

• Like 7

A late good afternoon.  It was a nice, warm day which was good since we were outside working on different things for the motorhome.  If all the things planned for today, I only got the laundry done, but none of the sorting and weeding in the motorhome.  We got it inspected, and are not sure if it truly passed, or if it was a mercy pass since he knew were would only be driving it to the dealership to trade it in.  The more we are doing around the motorhome, the more we realize it was time to let it go.

We have an appointment at 10 am Monday morning to surrender the old motorhome and to pickup the new one.  We'll transfer some things at the dealership and the rest will be loaded here.  Our salesman said something about staying two or three nights to get familiar with the new motorhome and to get everything transferred.  We think at most we'll be there one night.  Here are a few pictures I took Saturday when we went back to look at it again.

20231104_160939.thumb.jpg.48697b3702d2951b401c9335dce48407.jpg

20231104_154223.thumb.jpg.1e7e8e9cd513f4a923d2f89029bd6e25.jpg

20231104_155348.thumb.jpg.90707ca7b0a5ca401d38affc75a0fda3.jpg

Thank you to all who had nice comments and congratulations on the new motorhome.  It will take a bit of time to get used to a new layout and to figure the best place to put everything.  BTW, that is an electric fireplace under the tv, and it also serves as a heater on cold nights.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm glad you have an appointment to get your tooth fixed soon.

@JazzyV  Vanesa, I hope you can get some relieve soon for your back.  As to the social worker, that's an interesting development.

@rafinmd  Roy, I'm glad you are settled for the night and near the terminal.

@Nickelpenny  Penny, I hope the MRI shows something that is easily fixed and that you get a plan of action soon.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

@JazzyV

Vanessa, intense pain with little to no relief and lack of sleep can wreak havoc on someone’s psyche.  

Once the social worker learns what a strong, amazing woman you are, she might recognize that she could learn a thing or two from you. 

I pray you get some pain relief, soon. 

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A late good afternoon.  It was a nice, warm day which was good since we were outside working on different things for the motorhome.  If all the things planned for today, I only got the laundry done, but none of the sorting and weeding in the motorhome.  We got it inspected, and are not sure if it truly passed, or if it was a mercy pass since he knew were would only be driving it to the dealership to trade it in.  The more we are doing around the motorhome, the more we realize it was time to let it go.

We have an appointment at 10 am Monday morning to surrender the old motorhome and to pickup the new one.  We'll transfer some things at the dealership and the rest will be loaded here.  Our salesman said something about staying two or three nights to get familiar with the new motorhome and to get everything transferred.  We think at most we'll be there one night.  Here are a few pictures I took Saturday when we went back to look at it again.

Thank you to all who had nice comments and congratulations on the new motorhome.  It will take a bit of time to get used to a new layout and to figure the best place to put everything.  BTW, that is an electric fireplace under the tv, and it also serves as a heater on cold nights.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm glad you have an appointment to get your tooth fixed soon.

@JazzyV  Vanesa, I hope you can get some relieve soon for your back.  As to the social worker, that's an interesting development.

@Nickelpenny  Penny, I hope the MRI shows something that is easily fixed and that you get a plan of action soon.

Lenda

Lenda, the new motor home is gorgeous. Is that an induction cooktop?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

I agree does HA visit NO? 

HAL does not generally visit NOLA, however NADM is currently (I believe) on a charter and the organization chartering can have the itinerary that they want within reason.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Wow, Lenda.  That’s really something.  It looks quite luxurious.

You’re certainly not lacking anything 👍 

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Lenda, the new motor home is gorgeous. Is that an induction cooktop?

Thanks, Ann..  No, the cooktop and oven are propane.  It is an option, but with the induction cooktop, we would not have gotten an oven.  However, the refrigerator is a residential one, instead of the normal RV refrigerator that can run on propane, 110v or 12v.  They are more efficient.

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

Wow, Lenda.  That’s really something.  It looks quite luxurious.

You’re certainly not lacking anything 👍 

Thanks, Jacqui. The two reclining chairs are very comfortable.  It is definitely a step above our first Bounder which was a 1992 and pretty basic.  That one was designed for boondocking.

Lenda

• Like 10

@Quartzsite Cruiser Wow!  The new motorhome will have you traveling in style!  It is gorgeous!

@StLouisCruisers Elliot Rose is adorable

Thank you to all who mentioned our concern for River.  We do know that Children's Protective Services have been called numerous times about the situation, but nothing has happened.  The step father's own mother called them once.  He is the one we worry about the most.  We do listen carefully to everything River says and we check her every time we get her for bruises or marks.  I know her other grandma does the same.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, dfish said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser Wow!  The new motorhome will have you traveling in style!  It is gorgeous!

@StLouisCruisers Elliot Rose is adorable

Thank you to all who mentioned our concern for River.  We do know that Children's Protective Services have been called numerous times about the situation, but nothing has happened.  The step father's own mother called them once.  He is the one we worry about the most.  We do listen carefully to everything River says and we check her every time we get her for bruises or marks.  I know her other grandma does the same.  

Thank you, Debbie.  This new motorhome has some features that weren't available in 1999.  The American Eagle is one of the high end, but not in the Prevost category, motorhomes from that era.  It was also more maintenance even keeping it clean and shinny.  This one is more for camping and living, but is still comfortable.

I'm glad both of River's grandmothers are checking her, and monitoring the situation.  It has to be bad if the stepfather's mother called CPS.  As I said this morning, no child deserves to live like that.  I'm just glad she has her grandmothers and extended family.

Lenda

• Like 12

Kind of a gloomy day here today; cool, cloudy and a little rain.  Good day to stay home.  @Quartzsite Cruiser your new motorhome looks great.  They have come a long ways since we bought a Winnebago Class C in 1991.  We have been to Komodo Island.  Usually when we take a long cruise I do a lot of homework to study the ports and see what we could do on our own.  I found that the Komodo Dragon is really a nasty creature.  They hang around near a water hole, and when a deer or cow comes by, they jump up and bite them.  They have a poisonous bite, and they follow their victim sometimes for a day or two until it succumbs to the bite.  Then they eat it.  For some reason we were not allowed to go ashore unless we were part of a ship's excursion.  I decided, rather than spend the money for an excursion, I could see them back in Seattle at Woodland Park Zoo for much less money.  Must admit, I never got around to that, though.

Ray

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser I love your motor home, absolutely gorgeous!

21 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

For some reason we were not allowed to go ashore unless we were part of a ship's excursion. 

We were told that as long as we're with a group excursion (whether ship or private) we can go ashore.  Otherwise, no.  I know I wouldn't want to go wandering around on my own there anyway. 😲

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

That is just so sad, Debbie 💔 No child should have to endure that nor should anyone have to worry about them.  I said it before and I’ll say it again - Bless you and Sue for the love and care you give her - and her grandmothers too.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the HAL Fleet report and daily information.

We have been to Komodo Island to see the dragons.. Visitors are only permitted on the island if they have an official tour booked.   The dragons are fed before tour groups arrive on the island.

It is very hot there, returning to the Volendam airconditioning was bliss!   The tenders were very hot travelling to and from the Island.

@rafinmd  pleased that your travels are uneventful so far.Travel safely.

@seagarsmoker  Congratulations on recieving your bronze medallion and reaching 4 star.

@Quartzsite Cruiser  your new motor home looks very comfortable, hope that you have many happy trouble free  years with it.

@dfish  it's a worry that River lives in such an environment, hope that she can visit with you very often.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Your new motorhome looks lovely Lenda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1