Any downside to an aft balcony?

Monica887

1 hour ago, Monica887 said:

Looking at an aft balcony in the Encore. Only "downside" I can think of is that it's far from the observation lounge. 

Does anyone NOT like an aft? Why?

We love aft rooms. However, some people will not like the "long walk" aft.  Some will not like the extra motion that might take place when seas are rough. There can be lots of noise created anchoring (or docking) at port stops.

Also, we won't book any room that is directly under the pool deck, due to noise levels from above.

We were upgrades to a suite in the aft corner of a ship (Not NCL). On a higher deck.

We loved the fact it was a free upgrade. How great is that LOL

Unfortunately, it is a long way to anywhere.

There is also exaggerated movement during choppy seas.

We had soot from the exhaust on the deck furniture, deck and railings.

Our friends on a lower aft deck said they felt the propellers, especially early in the mornings while docking.

I book only aft facing cabins. Ships are not THAT long, let’s get real, so it’s really not a significant walk anywhere. And let be honest….who doesn’t need a walk a few times a day after all the food and drink we consume onboard. The views from an aft cabin are simply the best. You don’t have to think about what the “other side” is seeing and if the have a better view. Front facing cabins have wind while at sea and many have funky interiors due to the design of the ship with sloping walls.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Monica887 said:

Looking at an aft balcony in the Encore. Only "downside" I can think of is that it's far from the observation lounge. 

Does anyone NOT like an aft? Why?

Been in an Aft twice, once on the Gem and once on the Breakaway. We had a fair amount of vibration when cruising slow. Also each morning we had a fair amount of ash / sot on the balcony. On the Gem our balcony was washed down every morning 

6 hours ago, Monica887 said:

There are differences in balcony depth (by deck) and in balcony width for the aft-facing balconies on the Breakaway Plus ships (Escape/Joy/Bliss/Encore). The stateroom configurations and bed locations (near closet vs. near balcony) also vary. All 4 ships have matching sizes and stateroom configurations for aft-facing balconies although the stateroom numbers can be slightly different from ship to ship. 

If you have any questions as far as bed location and balcony size for a particular stateroom, feel free to ask.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monica887 said:

Well the rest of my group didn't want aft, so, moot point. Sigh. Alaska seemed like the right place to try it. 

Now I need to decide if I want vibe or spa or if a plain old balcony will be enough. 

Too bad because Alaska is the absolute PERFECT place for an aft!! That is where I fell in love with them. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Monica887 said:

Looking at an aft balcony in the Encore. Only "downside" I can think of is that it's far from the observation lounge.  Does anyone NOT like an aft? Why?

It's not that we don't "like" aft staterooms... 

But....

It is a hike to the aft elevators 

It is a full ship hike to the Haven 

It is a full ship hike to the Observation Lounge

It is a full ship hike to the Buffet

It is a full ship hike to the Theater

Depending on the room, you have to deal with soot from the engines

The sound of the azipods 

I weigh the cost of the aft cabin to the size of the balcony and other possible options for staterooms.

On a recent purchase I chose the front facing balcony over an aft because it was much cheaper and the balcony up front is huge compared to the aft balcony that was available and it'll be mostly a slow trawling cruise through the inside passage.

On past ships we have chosen 2 staterooms side by side with a removable divider as opposed to a rear balcony because the combined balconies were slightly cheaper and larger and way more space with 2 separate rooms.

We have also chosen an Oceanview room that was much cheaper than a balcony as the Oceanview had 3 separate rooms vs the cost of a single room of a balcony.

I'll usually weight the cost against the size (including balcony), layout and location of the room.  Most of the time the aft is very expensive for the benefit of seeing the wake.

Edited by wilmingtech
  • Like 1