Wednesday November 22nd, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Today is Love Your Freckles Day, National Cranberry Relish Day, and Go For A Ride Day

Once you bring life into the world, you must protect it. We must protect it by changing the world. - Elie Wiesel

Meal Suggestion for today - Vegetarian Chili
Drink of the Day - Fire Drop
Wine of the Day - Maggio Family Vineyards Merlot
Destination of the Day - Tauranga, Rotorua, New Zealand

Today in History:
1497 Portuguese navigator Vasco da Gama rounds Cape of Good Hope on way to first voyage from Europe to reach India
1926 Imperial Conference ends, giving autonomy inside British Commonwealth
1935 Flying boat "China Clipper" takes off from Alameda, California, carrying 100,000 pieces of mail on 1st trans-Pacific airmail flight

Ship Locations

Eurodam

St Johns Antigua, RCI Royal Beach Club 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

San Frnacisco, California

Nieuw Amsterdam

St Thomas, USVI

Nieuw Statendam

Dry Dock - Palermo, Italy 00:00 - 23:59

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Manta, Ecuador eta 11-23

Rotterdam

At Sea Montego Bay, Jamacia eta 11-23

Volendam

San Diego, California 7:00-15:00

Zaandam

Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

Zuiderdam

Durban, South Africa

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Napier, New Zealand 08:00 - 14:00

Westerdam

Laem Chabang, Thailand

1122World.thumb.png.e929694a6815982b64e80927c78f239b.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 20

Good morning and thanks for the Hump Day Report.

Another cool rainy day here, not much on the agenda.

I don't have any freckles, I like cranberry relish but I don't think I'll go for a ride today, just a walk.

Good quote.

Looking forward to seeing recipes for today's meal suggestion.  I'm not sure about the drink but I'll probably like the wine.

I've never been to today's port, but would like to.

Prayers for our world.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  Weather report for me today is it's 53F and we should have a high of 60 with sun and clouds mixed.  Better than yesterday by a mile.  Today started off with a frozen cursor when I turned on my computer and we both cursed that cursor as we struggled to get things moving here.  Sometimes these devices have a mind of their own!💻

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report for this day before Thanksgiving - prep day or travel day.  I like the days to remember especially cranberry relish day.  I don't think I'll be going for a ride today, and my girlhood freckles now look more like age spots!  Lol! The quote is a good one, I prefer meat in my chili.  I'll skip the cocktail and merlot as well.  So many important things happened on this date, from the looks of it.  Thanks to our friends Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for F&B reports.  

Prayers said while walking my miles this morning.  For the hostages being released this week and those that aren't, the people of Israel and Ukraine as they fight for their lives and countries.  For my DB and my friends in need of them.  And especially for all here on the Care list, and some of you who don't want to be on it.  Praying for pain free days, and successful procedures to cure your ills.  I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving (those in the U.S. celebrating tomorrow), safe travels, happy birthdays and anniversaries, and wonderful cruises.  Welcome home to Linda @lindaler.  I wonder if she ran into my "relatives" on the Volendam along with her?  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the lists provided to us today!  Hope you got a few more hours sleep last night.

The destination today is Tauranga (Rotorua), New Zealand.  It's a lovely port of call and I'm sure many of us have enjoyed it there.  It was our port of the day on December 31, 2021.  I've been there twice already and loved it.  Photos coming up soon.  I've checked and see Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser has not been there before but let's hope that will change in the future.  By the way welcome home to Quartzsite, AZ Lenda!

Have a safe day and stay well, everyone!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, thanks for the daily fleet report.  It’s a very wet this morning.  I’d like today’s meal suggestion but DH would want meat in the chili.  Today is the last day of the work week and I’ve already joined a zoom meeting for an early morning project. 
@1ANGELCAT Happy Birthday!

I want to thank everyone who contributes to the daily report.  I enjoy all the shared photos, recipes and drink ideas.  I hope everyone that celebrates Thanksgiving has a wonderful day and have safe travels.  For those on a ship enjoy your cruise. We sailed for Thanksgiving once and it was a wonderful time.

image.png.419843038c39483a2ed6f54efdd11659.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

On Dec. 22, 2013 we stopped in Tauranga on the Diamond Princess.  The following day we would disembark in Auckland, spend the night at the Hilton located on the pier next door and fly home on Christmas Eve.  The longest day of my life!  We started the morning about 5 am getting to the Auckland airport and ended up at home in Georgia about 10 pm the same day!  Needless to say we slept in on Christmas Day, and drove north to visit family a few days later.

On that 2013 stop DH and I merely walked around the town enjoying the warmth of the people and the climate.  On Dec. 4, 2017 we returned to Tauranga on the Sun Princess, again our final port before Auckland and returning home to the U.S.  This time we decided to hike around the base of Mount Maunganui, the extinct volcano at the end of the peninsula in town.  A view of it from the ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJPdmzHgNCn49jOozMdyrbZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620602

Here is the visitor information center right by the ship and Mount M. in the distance.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGEuM4a5qVDZhUbBa6vTEe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626358

Good information in case of an emergency evacuation due to tsunami.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ4h88HVx1s5nKr6reUs7qH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620607

You start on this leisurely walk along the shore.  No hurrying here!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI-yUYV5HMFLJbxVqZFU6oy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626396

The beginning of the hike.  Here it was a paved pathway.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIsTI7yjRukImm0RUfUMvny?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626411

An interesting statue just off shore.  Not sure what it was though.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNEVJX5EVQZKq0GF07uD8W?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626577

As you went along this circular path around the mountain the path became rougher and you had to watch your step carefully.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI7Woj0uKVc0pPnRN69DRH-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626599

The scenery was beautiful, though.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGONcrJyVXrW2f2dsU7RpP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626612

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL-NFkXe8u5ZEb-6VAJj7xY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620614

As we came around the mountain we got to see the beach everyone was enjoying.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIPiycEa-brsnyCjJ6NIE70?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620618

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKk1ZCH7Uzaztn6dzjVM8qA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626661

Here is one of my favorite photos.  A rock formation that looked like a kiwi bird to me.  It even had what looked like a beak on it made with some type of vine or branch.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIgpOJDjMzxyCFlIkBS4ApY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620618

At the end of the hike we walked past a campground at the base of the mountain.  Looks like a nice spot to enjoy the water and the mountain.  Some hikers walked up to the top but we weren't equipped for that.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL7biWH6Fmh7gzoJFfk1oER?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626664

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8WMFH7RtVcmBiX4E28j2-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626674

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLtsJd3tb8qy6FLniNi_wTa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620631

On into the town.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIgiiRuYX8QwJY6uyP8r-mh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626674

And from 2013 a few more photos of the town itself.  A nice park.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIeQYCtAo04u_4PFZW_5zTg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711964

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI-rilfjjng4KvA6qonXMEx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711970

Everybody needs a bench now and then.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIFna6o9ltzNDh_SyHkjSbk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711977

A Wi-Fi hotspot for tourists and crew members, perhaps even locals too.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-T783rJOvL0D-ArPd_sjX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711981

I'm ready to go back.  Just have to talk DH into a flight to the other side of the world from us.  🤔

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, weaning CPAP

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill with urinary tract issues

Haljo1935 with gastro issue and her DH with bronchitis

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

57redbird’s appointment with Neurosurgeon

60th Anniversary of the assassination of President Kennedy

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Cruising sister recovering from hand surgery for trigger finger

Marshhawk with pulmonary issues during/following her cruise

RMLincoln’s niece with high risk pregnancy and breech baby

57redbird with back/leg pain despite epidural shot

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Nickelpenny!

Happy 70th Birthday 1ANGELCAT!

Welcome back Lindaler!

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy extubated, weaning CPAP & can be held!

RMLincoln now at her new home/community in NJ

Dfish having River at her house for Thanksgiving

Quartzsite Cruiser (and Steve) back in Quartzsite with the new motorhome!

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for Himself (Rotterdam Nov 24 to Dec 3) Southern Caribbean Seafarer

2 days for Niagarawine (Rotterdam Nov 24 to Dec 3) Southern Caribbean Seafarer

2 days for Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam Nov 24 to Jan 14)51d B2B2B2B2B Southern Caribbean seafarer/PC Sunfarer (21n) + Eastern/Western Caribbean (14n) + Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer (16n)

3 days for Av8rix (Koningsdam Nov 25 to Jan 6) 10n Mexican Riviera & Sea of Cortez + 11n Mexican Riviera & Sea of Cortez + 5n Mexico + 16n Circle Hawaii Holiday

4 days for Haljo1935 (Nieuw Statendam Nov 26 to Dec 10) 14n Passage to America, celebrating tk cruiser’s birthday onboard

Rafinmd (Rotterdam to Nov 24, Panama Canal Sunfarer), GTVCruiser (Koningsdam to Nov 25, B2B, Mexican Riviera & Classic Pacific Thanksgiving Coastal), Cruise Suzy (Eurodam to Nov 29, Southern Caribbean Wayfarer), arzz (Seabourn Sojourn to Dec 1, Leeward Island Jewels), Cruzin Terri (Oceania Vista to Dec 1, Caribbean Wanderlust Miami to Miami), Norseh2o(Oceania Marina to Dec 3, B2B, Barcelona to Lisbon, Lisbon to Miami) and Nickelpenny(Volendam to Dec 10, Circle Hawaii)

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 17

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

And thanks to Ann,Vanessa, Dixie & Debbie.

Nice collection of days.  Cranberry relish sounds yummy.  My ride today is to my car service place for some maintenance.  Freckles have mostly all faded now - guess that’s what happens as we age.

IMG_1224.jpeg.30b06802034f2168243149d11acefc8e.jpeg

I really like today’s quote.  So true.  Vasco de Gama’s achievement was an important one in history.  Rounding the Cape of Good Hope can be a rough ride, sometimes 😉 

Another chilly one and a mess on it’s way.  Hoping the SUV is done fast enough this morning to avoid the worst of it 🤞 Besides, I hate the wait there for it.  that was a DD DH job, not mine 😔

IMG_1221.thumb.jpeg.c47683f29826c7ad087e3b34b4ea587a.jpeg

Ivan didn’t like the sound of the tape for the boxes yesterday LOL.  But I got a few done and out.

IMG_2540.thumb.jpeg.356b19e720462fc5e237460eddfc4399.jpeg

I laughed when I saw this after finishing my boxes.

IMG_1225.jpeg.7daa766e83d4d1572bf4a5a62ebf373d.jpeg

Hoping everyone travelling today has safe and smooth journeys and those prepping food for tomorrow don’t overdo.  An important reminder for Thanksgiving celebrants:

IMG_1220.thumb.jpeg.a54ab480d7b69de0463e3ba253d53fe9.jpeg

Prayer for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health problems, pain, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating & cruising 🥂 

IMG_1722.thumb.jpeg.b3bcd81fb1d86ff832db9def14108625.jpeg

Have a great Wednesday everyone.

• Like 29
  • Haha 13

Thank you for today’s FR& D, Rich! It is a lovely morning, though we expect rain sometime today. Yesterday was gorgeous. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us, in spite of your pain. I pray that you and everyone suffering from the debilitating pain finds permanent relief. I marvel at what each of you is able to accomplish in spite of the pain. 

Gym, haircut, Bindi walks, chores and pulling out the Christmas tree & it’s decorations so we can put it up tomorrow. Who knows we might have enough energy to decorate it too!

IMG_2045.jpeg.f77df0778f6128c4b148400bf3fb3602.jpeg

IMG_2046.jpeg.58ef417ca56c8eeb9c2aabb62b6bfa44.jpeg

IMG_2051.jpeg.df322f2ec7dfa15d7646f7a769cc433a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. @smitty34877 Terry, thank you for sharing the picture of your precious charge. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Maggio Family Vineyards Merlot 2020

Today’s wine has a lot of fans in the consumer leagues, is available in a decent number of places and comes with a price that makes it easy to try. Online prices start at $9.99. I used the 2020 vintage info, because I found this neat fact sheet!

Distributor notes
Rich black fruit, chocolate and a touch of baking spice. Concentrated flavors with hints of dried cherry and raspberry on the palate with a plush mouth feel and round tannins.
THE VINEYARDS
The fruit for our Maggio Family Vineyards wine is sourced entirely from our sustainably farmed, family-owned estate vineyards in Lodi, CA. Lodi enjoys warm days and cool nights which allows the grapes to fully ripen while maintaining their natural acidity.
THE VINTAGE
The season got off to a slightly later start, with a delayed bud break across the region. Weather impacts on bloom contributed
to a lighter crop for some varieties. Excellent quality fruit, with great freshness and vibrancy, and good flavors at lower sugar levels.
COMPOSITION
86% Merlot, 10% Petit Verdot 4% Malbec
AGING
9 months
60% French oak, 40% American oak

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 7

Happy Wednesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Definitely like the meal of the day. 

Today I am getting my Covid shot and finishing up some last-minute chores before tomorrow. Then it is rest and relaxation for the next few days. 

Happy birthday @1ANGELCAT

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.1cddd52ed53eb47d15f0f366dfded235.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

No delays getting home with Amtrak and all went smoothly. I am glad our travel home was earlier in the week. It seems that the Venezia has a chronic problem at disembarkation with the moving gangway to the terminal. Disembarkation seemed to be going smoothly when the cruise director all of a sudden called for a "Full Stop" that lasted about 20 minutes. I have read similar comments on the Carnival forum by other passengers's sailings with even longer pauses.

I have been isolating myself at home as I tested positive with Covid. It is my second time but doesn't seem to be as bad as last year. So far Sue has been negative and hopefully stays that way. Vax'ed and triple boosted but not with the newest booster as it wasn't available before our September cruise. Thank God all it feels like is a head cold.

Still trying to get use to our I Phone 15 Pro with transferring photos. I will say that it was easier than lugging my Mirrorless kit with. For some reason though I have trouble loading photos on CC into the Daily.. It just wants to insert a black rectangle. I have a feeling that the photo file is too large. But photo quality is really good!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 3

On this day next month I will be in San Diego preparing to board Volendam for another long cruise. I will be aboard for the Holiday Cruise, followed by the Grand Australia & New Zealand. I will finish up with a Panama Canal Cruise ending in Fort Lauderdale on April 21st. I’ll fly home on the 22nd.

The basic structure of the Daily & Fleet Report will be available each day at halfacts.com/daily which can be copied and pasted to Cruise Critic. The first day I will be unable to do it in a timely manner will be December 21st, although I start traveling on the 19th. I would appreciate it if someone would make sure it gets posted each day.

Rich

• Like 19
  • Thanks 11

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I've never had freckles until the past year or two . . . I'm calling them freckles, not age spots.  I love cranberry relish and to me a turkey dinner isn't complete without it.  We'll be going for a ride today.

It's cold and dark right now -6C (21F), and only going up to -2 (28), so it's definitely time to put away the summer jackets if they aren't already in one of the back closets. We usually have a ton of snow by this time in November, but we've been spared - I always feel it makes things seem a little cozier with snow, not just harsh cold.

We have to take a ride today as DH has to go for a CT scan on his lungs; he's been noticing some red when he coughs, and although it might just be the result of the blood thinner he's on, the doctor thought it was better to err on the side of caution and get it checked out.  He's not normally up at this time of morning, but he got up to have some breakfast so he could take his morning medication, as he can't have anything to eat for at least 4 hours before the scan.  

@1ANGELCATHappy Birthday with many healthy and happy returns of the day!

@Nickelpenny Bon Voyage!!

@Quartzsite CruiserI'm happy to see you made it safely home despite the high winds and rough roads.  Hopefully DH will feel better now that he's not being jostled around, and that your forehead heals as well.

Other than DH's medical appointment there's not much happening here, so I've got a free day to take a look at what I need to purchase for Christmas gifts.  We don't give to a lot of folks, just a few close family friends and usually they're consumables, which are easy to make.  Just to be safe, while I was out the other day, I picked up another 2kg package of sugar so there would be enough for Christmas baking.

I'll pass on the drink of the day, would prefer my chili to have ground beef in it, and would certainly like the wine.  This afternoon I'll put a small pork roast in the oven and surround it with root vegetables so it'll make an easy one pot meal for us to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially the hostages in Gaza, and for all the innocents involved in wars.  To all who are travelling to be with friends and family for Thanksgiving, stay safe!  Cheers to all with celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3