Ultimate World Cruise stats

1 hour ago, Jasukkie said:

I'm going to live vicariously through these fine folks because I know Royal will never do this again. 

Was this kids sail free? 60 is an impressive number of kids doing the whole way. How wonderful for them. 

As to people coming onboard mid-cruise, it may turn out that people are hungry for new people to interact with. I'm very curious about the social dynamic on this cruise actually. 

The activity on social media has been VERY brisk and ongoing.  I think that people will be happy to meet those they have been chatting with for up to two years.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LadyZolt said:

I heard that it is 20 children on the whole cruise, and 60 on this current first leg (Dec 10 to Jan 5).  I'm on the full cruise, but I don't have any kids aboard, so I'm just repeating what someone else said. 🙂

I'm repeating what a very knowledgeable full WCer told me.:) 

Whether its 20 or 60 kids, I'm surprised at there being that many.  I've done 180 night w/c on Oceana and there were 0 kids.  Probably less than 10  people under 55.

Even did 58 night circle South America on Princess just before Covid shutdown and don't remember any kids. 

• Like 3

Have you forgotten that when the Ovation of the Seas first came into the fleet they started with a Global Odyssey.  We were fortunate enough to sail on two segments from Barcelona to Dubai and then Dubai through the Suez Canal and finally ending in Singapore.  that was a total of 45 days, all of the segments were a minimum of 16 days and up from there.  This was not billed as a World cruise but did cover the globe.  This was in 2016 and I thought at that time the pricing was very good.  Of course, the Ovation is a bit larger than the Serenade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

@Merion_Mom I’m guessing that \are you not on the ship?

Not yet!  Although many who know me were surprised, I booked just one segment, the Mediterranean and Middle East, Dubai to Barcelona.  Now that I have grandkids, I don't want to be away from them for 9 months.  🙂 

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, driftychick said:

Have you forgotten that when the Ovation of the Seas first came into the fleet they started with a Global Odyssey.  We were fortunate enough to sail on two segments from Barcelona to Dubai and then Dubai through the Suez Canal and finally ending in Singapore.  that was a total of 45 days, all of the segments were a minimum of 16 days and up from there.  This was not billed as a World cruise but did cover the globe.  This was in 2016 and I thought at that time the pricing was very good.  Of course, the Ovation is a bit larger than the Serenade.

Then there was the Mariner Around the Horn cruise in 2009.  It was a repositioning from Port Canaveral to Los Angeles, 46 nights.  Not global, to be sure, but an amazing journey.  (Mariner is too large to fit through the Panama Canal)

3 hours ago, driftychick said:

Quantum did similar in 2015 out of New York, so a bit longer than Ovation. I could only do the first TA leg.  I recall thinking the prices for the full length were very reasonable relative to what other lines were charging for "World Cruise".  When the 17 segments for UWC first came out, some had similar pricing.  Some still do! 

Attached is the Quantum Itin while the Ovation did:

7-night voyage Southampton-Barcelona, 16-night Barcelona-Dubai, 14-night Dubai-Singapore, then finally a 12-night Singapore-Tianjin.

Screenshot_20231211_025816_Drive.jpg

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

10 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Are new C&A tiers (for quarter or full cruisers) recognized during the cruise?

Are they giving crystal blocks every 70 points (after reaching 140)?

I was on Serenade doing B4B in Sept they sent me a Card to my Cabin if I wanted my Blocks onboard or sent to my House, had them sent. Last yr Traveling Solo/340+ earning double-double points when inc the CV special Double Points from back when, also had them shipped to my home. Lot easier then carrying my 3 Blocks home at a time let alone even just one. Also they were still old style Blocks but they got to be running short soon. 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

They are paying ONE THIRD OF WHAT OTHERS ARE PAYING.  

Regular prices in the Cruise Planner are the elevated but non-stupid (think Wonder) prices:  $40 for Izumi.  $45 for Giovanni's Table.  $56 for Chops.

They are not offering UDP - just 10 night dinner package, for $280.  The funny thing is that they are even offering it on the only 9 night mini in my segment.  😄 

So I bought our OV UWC segment (16 nights) when the 17 segments were first released. With gratuities,  taxs and fees it works out at £115pppn (OV). 

Not particularly cheap compared to my Serenade summer '23 12 night cruise where I got a sunset spacious balcony for £80 pppn (including grats etc).

That UWC segment OV is now marketed at £198pppn (guarantee, not including grats).  

10 night DP is £263

5 night DP is £169

Chops £47

Giovanni's £38

Drink pkg £64pppn

As a lowly D member I  am a bit concerned boarding a ship which will be mainly pins or DP+ by next summer when we board. Hope our favourite VC lounge is not closed off for us 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, driftychick said:

This world cruise is going to some amazing ports. I think this is one of the standouts for this particular WC. 

5 hours ago, driftychick said:

Anthem is doing a similar cruise next year starting from Southampton to Singapore, we booked the last 2 legs, Rome to Singapore a couple of weeks ago with very good prices.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Not yet!  Although many who know me were surprised, I booked just one segment, the Mediterranean and Middle East, Dubai to Barcelona.  Now that I have grandkids, I don't want to be away from them for 9 months.  🙂 

We’ll see you on that leg, we’re doing  2 segments, Venice to Barcelona 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

So I bought our OV UWC segment (16 nights) when the 17 segments were first released. With gratuities,  taxs and fees it works out at £115pppn (OV). 

Not particularly cheap compared to my Serenade summer '23 12 night cruise where I got a sunset spacious balcony for £80 pppn (including grats etc).

That UWC segment OV is now marketed at £198pppn (guarantee, not including grats).  

10 night DP is £263

5 night DP is £169

Chops £47

Giovanni's £38

Drink pkg £64pppn

As a lowly D member I  am a bit concerned boarding a ship which will be mainly pins or DP+ by next summer when we board. Hope our favourite VC lounge is not closed off for us 

Are you missing a number on that? That is only a$144.00 per person, what date does that start on?

Edited by Jimbo

16 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

1.  NO

2.  60

3.  41

4. Yes

The UWCers would be insulted to know that you think it is a curse.  😉 

60 kids?........actual/real or just hypothetically accounted for by entire cruise completion?😆 🤣

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We’ll see you on that leg, we’re doing  2 segments, Venice to Barcelona 

I'll be doing four sailings - Athens to Barcelona. Excited to sample that part of the world for the first time 🙂

• Like 1

Then there was the Mariner Around the Horn cruise in 2009.  It was a repositioning from Port Canaveral to Los Angeles, 46 nights.  Not global, to be sure, but an amazing journey.  (Mariner is too large to fit through the Panama Canal)

It was an amazing journey!  But we only had one grandchild then and he was in Minnesota, so 46 nights did not seem like too long to be gone!

Sherri🙂

15 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We’re doing 2 segments next year and will be getting a block on Serenade. We already have one, but it’s the old type, so will be interesting to see what we get this time.

We received this one on our Panama Canal B2B:

IMG_0851[48670].jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Everyone on that ship gets suite benefits, really.   Beverage package, gratuities, laundry, internet all included.

Sort of, but only those in full suites also get the ability to have in suite dining any time they want. 

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Are you missing a number on that? That is only a$144.00 per person, what date does that start on?

Nope, had a tesco discount (UK food store) of £631 so total on invoice was £3057 or £3688 if I hadn't got the discount .

£3688 divided by 32 (16 nights, two people) is just over £115pppn. It was only an OV guarantee.

As I said considerably more now as cruise on that segment is showing almost full.

BCN to Southampton segment 

• Like 2