The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday December 31st, 2023

kazu

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Back on the ship it was time for lunch so we went to the Patio Grill for some delicious burgers under the heat lamps.  Looks like someone ordered a Bloody Mary, too!  The macadamia nut white chocolate chip cookie and chocolate chip cookie were probably mine!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

A pod of Orca whales was spotted off the ship and many of us were able to get good photos of them.  The rest of us have to be content with the videographer's images as contained in the Seabourn video.

Here's the best photo I took of them that day.  I was in the middle of drying my hair before our nightly meeting and dinner.

Next I have another photo taken by Boris Federer the passenger on the Zaandam at this same time.  He saw the Quest off in the distance again on Dec. 31 and took this fine photo of us, then later shared it with me.  He must have some very good lenses!  We sort of blend right in with all the snow.

My photos of the scenery that late afternoon.

Before dinner we had our nightly meeting by the expedition staff who explained what the plans were for the following day. They were fantastic!

Our place setting at dinner included this scroll with our menu on it.  According to my cruise diary the menu was a caviar appetizer, lobster consomme', sauteed escalope of foie gras, passion fruit sorbet as a palate cleanser, then either filet mignon or Chilean salmon followed by Chocolate Piano for dessert.

Our dessert

Dinner was followed by a comedian in the theater and a dance party until midnight with champagne toasts. 

Happy New Year!!

Superb photos Sandi.

Thank you for sharing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Happy New Year's Eve - that's worth a toast!!

Not been to the port, so I'll share today's sunrise east of Hawaii as seen from the TV on the K'dam.

Bow Cam view 

20231231_070513.thumb.jpg.26f6f3da37338fa2581ebc1ab5ac51ec.jpg

Aft Cam view 

20231231_070549.thumb.jpg.8f63182ccd3c9d06e7fd62e64b1a593e.jpg

20231231_070633.thumb.jpg.681af1272744059b5a0d139dc37baba5.jpg

Weather

20231231_070726.thumb.jpg.63605d237b4e65fede0cb41436975091.jpg

Prayers and positive thoughts for all! Stay safe as we close out the year and welcome in a new one.

20231221_210558.thumb.jpg.85e26ad6803a6bdb7fe4b28d8675d254.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Well, I thought I hit the submit button at 10 this morning, but have no clue what happened to that post. It was before my second cup of coffee. 🤔 I am also going to try posting pics again. 

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui!

Vanessa thank you for keeping up with all of us. Praying you find relief to your pain soon. 

Just a routine Sunday, though I may start to put Christmas decorations away. Already did two Bindi walks, spent an hour at the gym, and visited Aldi. 

IMG_2309.jpeg.0b84f000e7bea6f650d7fc7595d26ead.jpeg

IMG_2306.jpeg.d1cf22d0d0b9b0b96d55d63ac45cf089.jpeg

IMG_2305.jpeg.2c7e10f9f408e96e67185d40f4f37397.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Thinking of you & Tana, Terry!

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2019 The Stump Jump Australian white blend 

This is a great white blend. Medium bodied, lots of interesting fruit flavors, it doesn’t just rely on citrus flavors. Easy to find with online prices starting at $8.99 (on sale).

Distributor notes

d'Arenberg The Stump Jump White Blend is a refreshing and mouth-watering wine that is perfect for warm weather occasions. It is a blend of Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, and Marsanne grape varietals, which makes it a complex and unique flavor profile. The wine has a straw yellow color with green tinges and a fragrant bouquet of lime, citrus, and tropical fruits. On the palate, it is crisp, clean and lively, displaying citrus and tropical fruit flavors, along with a note of minerality. The finish is long-lasting and refreshing. This wine pairs well with fresh seafood, grilled vegetables, and light salads. It is an ideal choice for casual entertaining or a relaxing day on the patio.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I think CC was under a DDOS (distributed denial of service) attack last night.

I hope that this is the explanation, not that it's a good thing, but at first the humanity challenge looked to me like a solution in search of a problem.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

For me it's been showers & either clean jammies or sweats.  Haven't been out of the house since Dec. 15.....headed for my post-op appt on Jan. 3 so I'll have to get 'dressed'.

I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday, so I'll have to get dressed as well.  It is going to be very casual - sweats.  You've been in the house a long time!  I do need to get out now and then.  

55 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, I figured you were, but just thought I'd mention the walking.  They must have filled DH up with a lot of gas since it took several days for it to be absorbed.  The funny thing was he could feel the "gas bubble" move when he turned from side to side in bed.  A shower and clean clothes always make a difference.

Lenda

During the day the gas moves up to the shoulder area.  That is what hurts when I go to bed because it wants to be at the highest level.  The surgeon asked me to wait until last night or today to shower the first time.  So, I accommodated him.  

@JazzyV They told me to drink pop to help with the gas.  I don't know how that will help, but since I don't have any in the house and haven't had any in decades, I figured the Gas -X would help as much as that. As a matter of fact, I just checked my instructions and they mentioned that as well.  It seems the gas is absorbed and leaves through normal channels.  

• Like 23

Good afternoon to all, and have a HAPPY and safe New Years eve.  We will be staying in tonight, and plan to have our champagne with dinner.  Hardly ever make it to midnight anymore.  To many armatures on the road driving and too many police watching. 

I want to thank all of you who post on this thread.  It is indeed a place of kindness, and caring, in this strange world. We also get to see some wonderful pictures of places we have never been but hope to get to someday.  So it gives us hope for the future.  

Prayers to those in need, and cheers to those celebrating.

Peter & Paula

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, P&PNH said:

Good afternoon to all, and have a HAPPY and safe New Years eve.  We will be staying in tonight, and plan to have our champagne with dinner.  Hardly ever make it to midnight anymore.  To many armatures on the road driving and too many police watching. 

I want to thank all of you who post on this thread.  It is indeed a place of kindness, and caring, in this strange world. We also get to see some wonderful pictures of places we have never been but hope to get to someday.  So it gives us hope for the future.  

Prayers to those in need, and cheers to those celebrating.

Peter & Paula

Welcome to the Daily.

Terri

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I hope that this is the explanation, not that it's a good thing, but at first the humanity challenge looked to me like a solution in search of a problem.

I noticed that the response time was dragging over Christmas and again last night. That's a typical DDOS symptom. I use Cloudflare for mitigation and prevention, but seeing CAPTCHA is not unusual. I never saw the car path thing before.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Will try to read through today's comments later but right now my tablet and CC are not doing well together.

Cloudy with rain in San Diego. Am about to make another run at Rite Aid as I forgot some things. I was going to do Hop-On/Hop-Off but the weather sort of discouraged me. Hope all that are on their way make it with a minimum of effort. See you soon.

Susan

• Like 19

415011304_413041024387282_2189630195415058726_n.thumb.jpg.35ba6d17f326b240e51f913ca384fc4f.jpg

If we follow this New Year's tradition, no telling what manner desert critter we'd get along with good luck.  We need the good luck, but I don't want to be chasing a critter around the house at midnight.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday, so I'll have to get dressed as well.  It is going to be very casual - sweats.  You've been in the house a long time!  I do need to get out now and then.  

During the day the gas moves up to the shoulder area.  That is what hurts when I go to bed because it wants to be at the highest level.  The surgeon asked me to wait until last night or today to shower the first time.  So, I accommodated him.  

@JazzyV They told me to drink pop to help with the gas.  I don't know how that will help, but since I don't have any in the house and haven't had any in decades, I figured the Gas -X would help as much as that. As a matter of fact, I just checked my instructions and they mentioned that as well.  It seems the gas is absorbed and leaves through normal channels.  

Debbie, the one time I had a laparoscopic procedure, the gas settled under my left collarbone.  In my case, pop offer the procedure would add to the gas.  That happened whenever I drank anything carbonated when I was in the hospital and not getting out of bed.  So the walking makes sense.

24 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Will try to read through today's comments later but right now my tablet and CC are not doing well together.

Cloudy with rain in San Diego. Am about to make another run at Rite Aid as I forgot some things. I was going to do Hop-On/Hop-Off but the weather sort of discouraged me. Hope all that are on their way make it with a minimum of effort. See you soon.

Susan

Susan, hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow or the next day, and you can do the Ho-Ho.

46 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Checking in from Lake Nona Florida.  Terps won.   Go Ravens! 

Glad you made it to Florida safely.

52 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I noticed that the response time was dragging over Christmas and again last night. That's a typical DDOS symptom. I use Cloudflare for mitigation and prevention, but seeing CAPTCHA is not unusual. I never saw the car path thing before.

That's the first I've seen something like that too.  I see the CAPTCHA fairly regularly.  I only got the puzzle on my first post of the day.  Hope it's one and done.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Checking in from Lake Nona Florida.  Terps won.   Go Ravens! 

Glad you are there safely 👍 

32 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Glad to hear you are there safe and sound.  I hope the weather is better for you tomorrow so you can enjoy some of San Diego. 🤞 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

It’s 7.15 on New Years Day morning here in Australia. I would like to wish all the Dailyites a very happy and healthy New Year. 
Reading the Daily each day has kept us all connected in the most amazing way and I feel as though we have a wonderful circle of friends.

Best wishes to everyone.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, daisybertie said:

It’s 7.15 on New Years Day morning here in Australia. I would like to wish all the Dailyites a very happy and healthy New Year. 
Reading the Daily each day has kept us all connected in the most amazing way and I feel as though we have a wonderful circle of friends.

Best wishes to everyone.

And Happy New Year to You.

@ottahand7. I haven't dared to watch the Ravens game.  I think my watching may be a jinx.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Haha 7

21 minutes ago, daisybertie said:

Best wishes to everyone.

Happy new year to you too @daisybertie.

Pauline's cousin lives in Adelaide and WhatsApped us at midnight in Australia.

• Like 8

I am nearly the ultimate geek when I create fleet maps.  I use 2 almost hidden windows utilities to do it.  The first is "Snip Tool" to capture the map from cruisemapper.  I save the image to a file and then edit it with "Paint".  There's a little "A" in the group of icons at the top.  I click on that and then move the mouse next to a ship, click once to open a box and type in the ship name.  There's a newer version of paint, Paint 3a that should also work.

I have no idea how I would do it on an IPAD or a phone.

Roy

• Like 16

20 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I am nearly the ultimate geek when I create fleet maps.  I use 2 almost hidden windows utilities to do it.  The first is "Snip Tool" to capture the map from cruisemapper.  I save the image to a file and then edit it with "Paint".  There's a little "A" in the group of icons at the top.  I click on that and then move the mouse next to a ship, click once to open a box and type in the ship name.  There's a newer version of paint, Paint 3a that should also work.

I have no idea how I would do it on an IPAD or a phone.

Roy

Working from a desktop or laptop all you need to do is place the mouse pointer on the image and right click. The menu will include copy. You can then paste into paint, or any other graphics program.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6