The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday, January 2nd, 2024

kazu

Today is Happy Mew Year for Cats Day, National Buffet Day, and National Motivation and Inspiration Day

I haven't spoken to my wife in years. I didn't want to interrupt her. - Rodney Dangerfield

Meal Suggestion for today - Chicken Divan
Drink of the Day - Cherry Blossom-tini
Wine of the Day - 2020 Viognier
Destination of the Day - Casablanca, Morocco

Today in History:
1947 Mahatma Gandhi begins march for peace in East Bengal

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 01-03

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Ensenada, Baja California Mexico eta 01-05

Nieuw Amsterdam

San Juan, Puerto Rico 13:00 - 22:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Roseau, Dominica 08:00 - 17:00 

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Puerto Chacabuco, Chile eta 01-04

Rotterdam

Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana 08:00 - 16:00 

Volendam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 01-03

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas Carnival private island eta 01-03

Zuiderdam

Bimini Islands, Resorts World Bimini Bahamas, Bailey Town 14:00 - 23:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Hobart, Tasmania Australia eta 01-04

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Halong Bay, Vietnam, Ha Long City eta 01-04

• Like 20
  • Thanks 23

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Nickelpenny having pain with walking

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

Victims of Japanese earthquake 

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

HAL Sailer’s DH with medical issues

Dfish (Debbie) recovering from hernia repair surgery

Tana with pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Mamaofami’s DH Sam’s 88th Birthday!

RMLincoln’s 31st Anniversary (Maureen & Richard)!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

Cruising sister’s g-niece Murphy extubated, on CPAP 

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam Jan 3 to May 11) 128d Grand World Voyage

1 day for Ottahand7 (Eurodam Jan 3 to Feb 24) B2B2B2B2B Caribbean

1 day for Cruising-along (Volendam Jan 3 to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage

1 day for Durangoscots (Volendam Jan 3 to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage

1 day for cruising sister (Volendam Jan 3 to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage

1 day for Cruisercl (Volendam Jan 3 to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage

3 days for Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC Jan 5 to June 9) 156d World Voyage

4 days for Suslor (Westerdam Jan 6 to Feb 3) 28d Philippines, Malaysia & Far East Collector + (Westerdam Feb 3 to Feb 17) 14d China & Japan

5 days for Kochleffel (Anthem of the Seas Jan 7 to Jan 18) 11d Southern Caribbean

Nickelpenny (Zuiderdam to Jan 3, Panama Canal Sunfarer Holiday), St Pete Cruiser(Zaandam to Jan 4, Southern Caribbean Holiday), Ichiban Nekko (Rotterdam to Jan 5, B2B, Western/Tropical Caribbean), Av8rix (Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), Haljo1935(Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14, Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer))and Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, 12d Mexico & Sea of Cortez Holiday + Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise)

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 17

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report and the maps.

A quiet day around here, not much on the agenda.  No cats and no buffet and I need some motivation.

Amusing quote.

The meal sounds good, maybe another night.  I hope the drink and wine are tasty.

I haven't been to today's port, but I loved the movie.

Prayers for many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

@mamaofami Happy Birthday to Sam!

@RMLincoln  Happy Anniversary!

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, thanks for the daily fleet report.  The kids let me sleep until 5:30 and it’s an in office day.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good but tonight will be leftover chicken with rice.  I hope everyone has a good day today.
image.png.42e1f4485b3fdfacdf54de95103599b6.png

• Like 15
  • Haha 12

Good morning.

After taking Pauline to work this morning I got a coffee and cheesy bacon flatbread from McDonald's drive thru and went to the beach car park to watch the daybreak.

It is raining and 46°F here at 11.45am.

We have visited Casablanca on a cruise in 2003.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a good day.

IMG_20240102_075418.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Good morning friends!  It's another chilly 28 degree morning but will be sunny and 51 for a high.  It's a great day to be a Michigan fan!  I don't usually watch football but turned the station just in time to see Blake Corum forge his way into the end zone in overtime to make the score 27-20.  DS and family were in a Cozumel sports bar catching the game on their TV's.  Now on to play Washington next week!  🏈  Another exciting fact for Michiganders is one of you bought the only winning Powerball lottery ticket!  You're on a roll!  Thank you Jacqui @kazu for the Fleet Report and Daily and Roy @rafinmd for the maps.  And thank you Rich @richwmn for getting it all going for us.

Today is an interesting day for cats and their humans, Mew Year.  🐈  And how about buffet day?  I only go to buffets on cruise ships.  National Motivation Day sounds like a good way to start the year.  Rodney Dangerfield was a very funny man and he didn't disappoint with today's quote.  I'm sure the chicken divan, cherry blossom-tini and Viognier are great but I usually do my own thing and it won't be any of those.  An interesting tidbit about the day in history concerning Mahatma Gandhi.  Thanks to food and beverage ladies Debbie/Tina @dfish and @0106, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for reporting today.  

Prayers said today for our Care list individuals especially Vanessa @JazzyV, my DB and DGD, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages held and US troops under attack on ships and bases in the region.  🙏  Cheers to Sam, Carol @mamaofami's DH on his birthday today, and happy anniversary to Maureen @RMLincoln and Richard. 🥂  Congrats to all those celebrating today including my DDIL on her 50th birthday, and those with anniversaries and birthdays of their own. 🎂🎉   A salute to everyone cruising and the huge crowd of Dailyites heading to their ships!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping each day.

The port of the day is Casablanca, Morocco which was only posted here once before on Sept. 12, 2023.  DH and I have been there once before in 2018 on the Prinsendam.  Here is the link:

Have a great day today everyone!  Stay safe and well!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

We arrived in Casablanca, Morocco for the first and so far only time, on April 4, 2018.  It was on the Prinsendam on the Grand Mediterranean and Africa cruise.  The cruise line provided a shuttle to downtown because it was quite a long way from the ship to the gates of the port.  Then it was even further to the downtown square where they dropped everyone off.  And look at all this traffic!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Here we are at the drop-off spot, from which everyone scattered to do their own thing.

We had decided to walk first to the Place Jamaa Souk and then on to the famous Hassan II mosque.

Exterior of souk.

Continuing on without a purchase, we took a left turn (thank goodness for the map!), and soon saw this place – the Ecole Royale Navale.  I didn’t know what it was at the time but research says it’s a university or learning institution.

After a 55 minute hike from the bus drop off, we arrived at the Hassan II mosque, largest in Africa and 7th largest in the world.  Honestly, it looked closer on the map!

Look at the size of this plaza.  It’s enormous!

Such beautiful architecture

In the distance you could see the El Hank Lighthouse

With a last look at this fountain, which I would like to have jumped into at this point, we turned around and started back to the pick-up point. Tours of the mosque are available if you wish.  We did not want to spend more time there though I’m sure it was spectacular inside.

Along the way to the bus stop we saw one of the buses headed back to the ship and the driver picked up cruisers like us at stop lights.  You just had to flag him down and show your cruise card.  Besides we probably looked like tourists and stuck out in the crowd.  Catching the bus before we arrived at the drop off/pick up spot cut off a lot of walking.  When we returned to the Prinsendam we were quite ready for food and drink, and a long rest!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Happy Tuesday everyone.

I am sure many will be celebrating Mew New Year 😉. I could definitely use some motivation and inspiration.  

IMG_1266.jpeg.830b54ab68cf3d242c92172ad98aa539.jpeg

Rodney’s quote is typical of his generalization of women 😔 

Yum on Chicken Divan and is that Viognier white or red?  We’ve been to Casablanca and  other than a couple of key site, visiting places outside of it was definitely the way to go.  Casablanca was quite dirty when we were there compared to the lovely breathtaking sights just a short trip away.  A one and done for us.

IMG_1896.jpeg.f7821cdc01fb5ae6a987eaf3861d7868.jpeg

Busy morning with Ivan’s injection this morning.  The scale to weigh him is the challenge always 😉 Appointment this afternoon and hopefully I achieve a few things in between 🤞 

IMG_1267.thumb.jpeg.6c6c2893e2912958650d59d867bf81a6.jpeg

@mamaofami Happy 88th birthday to Sam

@RMLincoln Maureen a very happy 31st anniversary to you two.

Thanks to Vanessa, Ann, Debbie & Tina for their dedication and to everyone for their contributions.  Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grieving, health issues, pain, worries and those who need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1284.thumb.jpeg.2a29ad65451a915c3bd8a5d43cc2c1ee.jpeg

Hoping everyone has a good day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Cherry Blossom-tini cocktail:

Ingredients
50ml Lillet Rose Vermouth
10ml Cherry blossom syrup
15ml Amaro Montenegro
10ml Hepple gin
A dash of cucumber bitters
Directions
Stir all ingredients with ice
Strain into a martini glass
Garnish with a maraschino cherry

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 7.07.59 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 13

Good morning and best wishes to all.  Yesterday was a bust as far a New Years Day goes.  DH wasn’t feeling well and I had to cancel plans for dinner company.  He seems better today — for now.  He just got up so time will tell.

Looking at the possibility of “measurable” snow this weekend.  Wouldn’t be a big deal except we haven’t had such an event in over 700 days — according to the weather folks.  Stay tuned!

Prayers for all in need.  Thinking of all our Dailyites who are in pain or dealing with difficult issues.  Katherine 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to Tuesday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Well, back to work. 😔I will be at the office today for clients. Fancy won't be happy as she has gotten quite used to having people home. I may have spoiled her. My cats will be celebrating Mew Year in grand style, sleeping all day. I have a dentist's appointment tomorrow for fillings. Expecting measurable snow here this coming weekend. I have to get the shovels from the garage. At least I won't have to drive anywhere this weekend. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.thumb.png.a2880033a9b7eea617e457a60a9d8af4.png

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

Chicken Divan is a casserole usually served with broccoli and Mornay sauce (which is a béchamel sauce with shredded cheese added). (Béchamel sauce is made from roux and milk…are you getting confused?) It was named after the place of its invention, the Divan Parisien Restaurant at Chatham Hotel in New York City where it was served as the signature dish in the early twentieth century. 

Easy Chicken Divan - Spend With Pennies This easy divan recipe is very similar to the one my Mom used to make. Chicken and broccoli are mixed with a rich and creamy sauce then baked until all warm and bubbly.

FTvwmsYO0QhN7w6elpo0fVqgza0TfA6dzHpilzFi

Chicken Divan - The Cozy Cook This recipe has juicy bites of chicken that are smothered in a simple cream sauce with broccoli and topped with a buttery Ritz cracker topping. The thing I like best about the recipe is you can make the soup from scratch or use a can of cream of chicken soup.

7yNjksdX3UqDoD48R5XCJZ_7cEpKrNDmgNfwR6u6

Easy Chicken Divan - Skinnytaste  This lightened up Chicken Divan made from scratch with no canned soups. Just layers of tender chicken breast and broccoli in a flavorful creamy, cheese sauce topped with golden breadcrumbs.

IMG_8842.png.c4810806061d1b1520ac336900690c7d.png

Sending you peace, healing and all good wishes.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

Continuing my travelogue from Antarctica Jan. 2, 2017 En Route to South Georgia Island

I will continue with the Seabourn Quest Antarctica cruise we were on 7 years ago.  On Jan. 2, 2017 we were on our way from Antarctica to South Georgia Island.  Very early in the morning on Jan. 2 the ship passed by Elephant Island which is where Sir Ernest Shackleton set sail in 1916 in a tiny boat with a couple of his crew members to try to get help to rescue his crew from the doomed Endurance.  The approximate time we would pass the island was announced the night before so DH got up at 3:30 and joined an Expedition Team member and some of the other passengers to get a firsthand look at it.  The following photos were taken from 3:54 to 4:22 am and of course it was light out. 

It looks like quite the inhospitable location to hunker down for the next few months.  We were setting off on the same journey that Shackleton did - Elephant Island to South Georgia Island.  I can't imagine trying it in a tiny boat like he did.  We will see a replica of that small boat, the James Caird, at the museum in Grytviken.

We were trying to outrun some storms heading our way and on Jan. 2 it wasn't that bad outside.  That would change before long though as the lows caught up with us.  In the meantime Jan. 2 was spent attending lectures. 

With very little else to show you on Jan. 2, I decided to show you what a standard balcony suite on Seabourn Quest looks like.  They are extremely comfortable with a seating area, a table and two tub chairs, a bar area, a walk in closet, and a luxurious bath made completely of marble with double sinks, a full tub, a shower and lots of storage.  My only quibble was the sofa was rather hard.  A little softness would have been appreciated. 

The bed is ready for luggage to arrive.  Last year on Princess we noted they no longer provided us with the vinyl luggage protectors to place on the duvet, which I think is a big mistake.  We used pool towels to protect the duvet instead on Princess.

The shower including glass door is hidden on the right hand side of the photo.

There are two sinks and a full size marble lined bathtub.

They even had this small built in console table with drawer, mirror and small bench seat located in the "foyer" that you could use as a makeup vanity.

Our stewardess's name was Michelle.  All the room stewards were female on Seabourn and they did an outstanding job.  If you finished a bottle of champagne or wine from your 'fridge you wouldn't even have to ask for a replacement - she would see the bottle in the wastebasket and replace it immediately.  The service on Seabourn was outstanding!  We have only sailed on Seabourn twice, both times on Quest, and would love to sail them more often.  Perhaps if we win the lottery.

Here you see the name of the Captain whose name cannot be mentioned for fear of CC censorship. I know this from past experience!

As a little treat for those who know him I am going to share a photo taken earlier in the Antarctica cruise of a dinner we attended one evening.  Captain D.D. spoke to us in the hallways during the "meet your neighbor" party.  He knew us from our summer of 2016 Norway spectacular cruise on the Prinsendam as I like to call it.  Our Captain on the Quest sometimes subbed on the Prinsendam during Captain vacation time.  He truly loved the Prinsendam!  We had talked about him being on the Quest for our Christmas-New Year's cruise and he said he would see us there! 

Anyway, when he met up with us in the hallway, I told him I had a photo book that I had made of that spectacular cruise and would he like to sign it?  After all, he played a big part in all the unique features of that cruise and was mentioned heavily in the book.  He said of course!  Meet me and another couple I met from Norway in the bar at 6:45 for a drink and then we will all five go to dinner.  Sounded good to us!  We met in the bar later and chatted while he signed the cover page of my book, then headed to the dining room for dinner.  The couple from Norway was so nice and they were excited to hear about the spectacular Norway cruise we had all enjoyed so much.  To commemorate our dinner our waiter took our photo. 

We actually ran into this couple on a Holland America tender boat a few years ago.  She recognized us and we had a nice little chat

After leaving Antarctica, they thoroughly examine anything you plan to wear on shore in South Georgia Island so that you don't introduce any foreign matter, like seeds, to their environment from Antarctica.  Any speck has to be removed.  They even check the boots which are kept outside in a covered environment in metal cages with your cabin number on it.  Sort of like a dog crate.  Those are power washed off for us a couple times during the cruise.  Most of us had rented the boots from a company that does that sort of thing for Antarctica cruises.  So you take your parkas, scarfs, hats, gloves, waterproof pants, everything and they examine them.  Technically they even have to examine any backpacks or camera cases, too. Then your name is checked off a list.  There are very strict rules from the ITTAO.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 7

Posted (edited)

Good morning from Fort Lauderdale.  Thanks for the daily Jacqui.  

To everyone on our care list I hope that everyone is feeling better and had a good night's sleep.  Debbie I was happy to read you are recovering from your surgery.   Vanessa I hope that you are going to get some good news for treatment of your leg pain.  Prayers for all in war zones especially Ukraine and the Innocents in Gaza. 

Thanks to everyone who make the daily what it is especially @richwmn @kazu @JazzyV @summer slope @cat shepard and @dfishand @rafinmd.

We may celebrate buffet today with Chinese for lunch.  There is one near Ross Stores.  I left my sweatshirt in the truck on purpose as it was hot where we left the truck.  I need a sweatshirt here so I will check their clearance rack.  Probably wrapping the day up at Happy Hour at the Boatyard.  Beautiful sunrise this morning with the Mouse in view.  We got an end of hall room at the Renaissance with two direction windows.  Like Sandi we were thrilled with the tough MI win.   I fell asleep before halftime for the WA TX game.  Sorry Lenda and @Haljo1935 with.WA winning in a thriller.  Have a lovely day!  Nancy 

IMG_20240102_065706816_HDR.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 30

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui!  It is already 47 and the sun is has just risen. Looks like a gorgeous day. 

Vanessa, thank you for taking care of our lists. Praying that you soon find relief to your pain. 

My new garage door will arrive around 8, so I need to get my car out on the street. Then I can head to the gym, once I get the crew started. No clue what the day will bring. 🤞🏻 that Bindi won’t be too stressed by the day’s events. 

IMG_2263.jpeg.1a8fd94358471fafbe29123b63c06576.jpeg

IMG_2312.jpeg.b47e50a698991c2afd6aa58e9d0f7027.jpeg

IMG_2318.jpeg.7d5a6d2f42b0bf047409f0c17e28240f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those in debilitating pain & conditions. And ones grieving the loss of a loved one. Terry, thinking of you & Tana. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! @RMLincoln Maureen- happy anniversary to you & DH!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

2020 Viognier Pride Mountain

Even my decoder ring couldn’t help this morning. So I picked a Viognier (white wine)that is has lots of fans but might not be as easy to find as some.  There are several online distributors with prices starting at $28.00.

Distributor notes

Abundantly exuberant, our 2020 Viognier expresses orange blossom, litchee, candied lemon peel and nectarine notes. On the palate, the texture is textbook for this grape, with a very lush and full mouthfeel balanced by lively acidity on the long finish. The essence of spring sunshine in a glass!

The new canopy design combined with the glorious growing season has resulted in one of our best Viogniers ever. The viognier grapes were night-harvested in seven separate passes between September 8 and September 18, 2020. The juice was cold-settled in stainless steel vats for 48 hours and then racked to neutral French oak barrels (5 to 10 years old) for fermentation. The wine was bottled in early February to maximize the intensity of its fragrance and flavor.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 1

Good morning from the Zuiderdam on our last full day. Heading to Bimini for an afternoon of beach and sun. 

IMG_3976.thumb.jpeg.514c7ba19b4d3d93d9f1d27275ad0850.jpeg

I will celebrate New Mew Year with Martina when I get home Wednesday. I only go to buffets when cruising and I may need some motivation and inspiration today. Never been to Casablanca. I will pass on the food and libations. Love Rodney and his humor. ❤️Ghandi. 

I had a bad day yesterday. The inside of the ship is very very cold. Bone chilling in fact. And I could not get warm. Sneezing seemed to be the order of the day. I think the little sleep I got NYE didn’t help.  Did watch the Dutch tradition of jumping in the “sea” for the New Year. Caught the captain jumping in!!

IMG_3956.thumb.jpeg.ca1ea9f39378dbe9c2012bc9bcba9c71.jpeg

My phone’s battery was getting low so I went back to my cabin to charge it and fell asleep for a couple of hours, and I never take naps. Did go see the Step One Dancers. A couple of them are not as talented as others I have seen but it was enjoyable. Wanted to see the comedy show (adults only) but I felt so crappy I went to bed early and slept for 8 hours. Today I am feeling so much better and looking forward to a great day at the beach in Bimini. 

Thoughts for those on the care list ( and I think you can take me off. I do appreciate the well wishes 🥰). Cheers to all!

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

After taking Pauline to work this morning I got a coffee and cheesy bacon flatbread from McDonald's drive thru and went to the beach car park to watch the daybreak.

It is raining and 46°F here at 11.45am.

We have visited Casablanca on a cruise in 2003.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a good day.

IMG_20240102_075418.jpg

Finally Graham, a clear view of the water with no obstruction! 😀

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Thank you Rich, Jacqui,  Venessa, Dixie, Ann, and Tina.  Meow day will be widely celebrated today, and I rarely go to buffets except on ships unless hotel breakfasts count.  I'm a bit short on Inspiration today.

Dangerfield had quite the sense of humor.  A great day in history for India.

I visited Casablanca just once, Wind Star in 2014.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Anjou Pear Soup, Parmesan Crusted Turkey Tenderloin and Tiramisu as served  on MS Ryndam January 2, 2015.

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1