Cruise booked and not looking forward to it!

dam64

Let me start by saying not new to cruising but this will be our first Celebrity cruise.

We have the Beyond booked and downgraded our retreat room due to all the negative reviews and cutbacks we heard and the price was just too expensive we found for what you got with a sky suite.  We are used to Haven on Norwegian. So we downgraded to a concierge veranda and are no longer interested because of the room and the no balcony. Please convince us this room is worth it! Final is coming up soon!

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Same.  If you don’t like it, don’t book it.  I had a good experience in my Aqua cabin on Eclipse recently.  No butler but great cabin attendant.  (Kade)

• Like 2

Don't ever make a decision about a cruise based on what you read here.  This forum has become a very negative place.   It's a  great place to get specific questions answered but negative opinions about everything else seem to be the theme around here. 

I say sail the Beyond.  You will love the ship.  Such a great design, great food (despite what you read here), great service (despite what you read here) and great entertainment.  If you are talking about the IV, you will probably like it.   I was worried the  same way you are after booking my first E-class cruise and then coming here and reading people's opinion on them.   We liked the IV.  Gives you more space in the room and really connects your entire room to the outside.   

Give Beyond a chance, you won't regret it. 

• Like 13

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

Don't ever make a decision about a cruise based on what you read here.  This forum has become a very negative place.   It's a  great place to get specific questions answered but negative opinions about everything else seem to be the theme around here. 

I say sail the Beyond.  You will love the ship.  Such a great design, great food (despite what you read here), great service (despite what you read here) and great entertainment.  If you are talking about the IV, you will probably like it.   I was worried the  same way you are after booking my first E-class cruise and then coming here and reading people's opinion on them.   We liked the IV.  Gives you more space in the room and really connects your entire room to the outside.   

Give Beyond a chance, you won't regret it. 

I didn't see much negative here; the general sense is that other cruisers aren't about to spend too much effort trying to convince somebody to do something they're (apparently) disinclined to enjoy.  He who is convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

I almost cancelled the second cruise I went on (NCL) because of all the whining on cruise critic.  Thankfully I didn’t and enjoyed my cruise.   I am however done with NCL for various reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I surely agree on the negativity.    Gone are the days when questions like "do they still have those little pastry swans for dessert?" are replaced by enmity towards the sometimes ill timed changes made by Celebrity. 

I read the views posted on the board, then make my own decisions . 

• Like 3

topic sentence says it all..if  OP is not looking forward to it..cancel and book something  else that is preferred..or comfy!

You should not let Online posts

( by complainers vs reviewers)  color your thoughts.. BEYOND is a great ship..Concierge Class will offer nice perks,  and we had no issues with the sunroom style veranda. We enjoyed the included 4 mdrs, EDEN , great music and shows!

Only possible neg is  getting a creaky cabin.

• Like 1

If you go expecting you won’t enjoy it you won’t.  

If you go expecting to have fun and experience something new you’ll more than likely come home glad you went. Maybe with another cruise on Celebrity booked. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brandy3415 said:

I surely agree on the negativity.    Gone are the days when questions like "do they still have those little pastry swans for dessert?" are replaced by enmity towards the sometimes ill timed changes made by Celebrity. 

I read the views posted on the board, then make my own decisions . 

I take the good with the bad but I don’t come here for towel animals.

• Thanks 1

That's a shame that you downgraded your room based on negative reviews.  The Retreat on the Beyond is incredible.  If you don't cancel, maybe consider a move up bid.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Team Stag said:

That's a shame that you downgraded your room based on negative reviews.  The Retreat on the Beyond is incredible.  If you don't cancel, maybe consider a move up bid.

Exactly, OP is concerned about the cruise experience and because of that chooses to take a "lesser" cabin.    Once we took the financial leap to Celebrity suites we have been spoiled and hesitate to go back!    OP, if you are still reading along, keep what you have and take Stag's suggestion of trying a move up bid to get back to a suite. 

Last April we switched ships on a transatlantic. We originally had a very nice Sunset Veranda. When our travel buddies canceled before final payment we switched from the Apex to the Beyond and at that late date there were no Sunset Verandas available. All that was left were  Infinite Verandas so that was what we had.

We already knew we would have a wonderful time and went in with an open mind.  We ended up  liking it far more than we thought we would and no longer have any hesitation on booking another one. The large window opened wide. We could sit next to it and it made the room larger and brighter.  We were pleasantly surprised.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Team Stag said:

That's a shame that you downgraded your room based on negative reviews.  The Retreat on the Beyond is incredible.

OP downgraded based on reviews AND cost. What is "incredible" worth? Is ~$1500/pn for a Sky Suite to steep for incredible? I think so. And so did OP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, dam64 said:

Let me start by saying not new to cruising but this will be our first Celebrity cruise.

We have the Beyond booked and downgraded our retreat room due to all the negative reviews and cutbacks we heard and the price was just too expensive we found for what you got with a sky suite.  We are used to Haven on Norwegian. So we downgraded to a concierge veranda and are no longer interested because of the room and the no balcony. Please convince us this room is worth it! Final is coming up soon!

Thanks.

I have been on Beyond three times; the first two were in Europe and absolutely wonderful, not to mention a great price.  Our third in the Caribbean was nothing exciting, but an excellent price for a sky suite like the others, although one was in an SV and very enjoyable.  Are you booking for the ship experience, itinerary or ?   You really will not know how you feel until you actually cruise on the ship yourself, but without a balcony you may or may not enjoy it for what it is not- a true balcony.  Also, there is your deposit that you may or may not lose depending on how you booked.  I never want to actually convince anyone to spend their hard earned money unless it is their own personal choice.  Having said all of this...I hope you make the best decision for your situation.  Life is short!  The Caribbean is just not my cup of tea because I enjoy a more diverse crowd with interesting ports of call that are rich on culture, history, food and experiences!  I am just not ready to “float the boat” so to speak, not to mention paying a price that I feel is not worth the money!  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, dam64 said:

Please convince us this room is worth it! Final is coming up soon!

You want a bunch of people you don't know to convince you that you won't regret going on a cruise in the cabin you selected at the price you paid?  Seriously?  🤨

Only you can decide whether the cruise line, cruise itinerary, ship and cabin will meet your vacation needs and desires or not.  Just decide...cancel or cruise.  It isn't rocket science nor is it a matter of life and death.  It's just one of many vacation options.  🙂

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

As mentioned we had a SS . with Butler (very intrusive lady), Luminae and  Retreat area.  We paid a chunk of it  with FCC  from cancelled covid time cruises so we gave it a try!

Retreat Life had plusses  and minusses,  but for us it would not 

be  worth the fare or playing the move up game,  esp with changes..The re named room attendants are now stretched and  seems Luminae has not changed its menu much from what we  experienced. .Suite class is  now more crowded due to the move up  game..

so we are headed back to AQ class, (Ascent,), an   SV with 4 mdrs, ( Apex)  and trying  Concierge Class too.( Silho)

if OP sticks with the cruise...no need to bid up..and maybe should  stop reading neg posts!

Edited by hcat

9 hours ago, mauimary said:

Last April we switched ships on a transatlantic. We originally had a very nice Sunset Veranda. When our travel buddies canceled before final payment we switched from the Apex to the Beyond and at that late date there were no Sunset Verandas available. All that was left were  Infinite Verandas so that was what we had.

We already knew we would have a wonderful time and went in with an open mind.  We ended up  liking it far more than we thought we would and no longer have any hesitation on booking another one. The large window opened wide. We could sit next to it and it made the room larger and brighter.  We were pleasantly surprised.  

I liked our move up to a Sky Suite because it had a balcony instead of a window.

Not sure if the OP has a non refundable deposit.  If so and they originally booked a suite they may have a pretty substantial deposit on the line.  One additional option would be to change ships.  There is a $100 pp admin fee to do so and would be at prevailing rates, but maybe changing to a "S" or "M" class ship with all regular balconies would be more to their liking.  Just another option.

If you go on a cruise expecting to be disappointed, then guess what will likely happen?  Cancel and choose a ship that you are looking forward to.  You stand a much better chance of having a good time.  

Don't waste your time and money bidding up.  Move on.

• Like 1

I am a constant cruiser and try to cruise on all lines at least once.  I mainly cruise on Royal Caribbean.  When I want to kick it up a notch, I cruise Celebrity.

I am booked on Beyond in April in a Celebrity suite, it is a milestone birthday present to myself.  I have cruised on all the other Celebrity-class ships except Edge class and looking forward to it.  For me, Celebrity has never failed to impress me.  Cabin, food and service has always been above my expectations.

Opinions are nice but weed out the “noise” and comments on what is not important to you.  Sometimes what other people don’t like, you do.  Don’t stress, if you feel it is not the trip for you, cancel and go on what you like.  If you want to go because you want to see for yourself, enjoy!