Popcorn - $3.50 for small box -ridiculous

We actually talked to who i assume was a higher up of some kind on either harmony or symphony a couple years ago. He had white shirt with shoulder stripes. Anyway he told us royal actually does not want you to buy popcorn. He said it is such a pain to clean up especially in the theater and from carpets. Even after vacuum and sweeping you find a kernel here or there. He said the cleaning staff would love to eliminate popcorn all together but there are some people who say they MUST have it during shows. He said they price it to discourage everybody but the die hards from buying it. It actually makes sense. Could you imagine if it was free. You would see little keenals blowing around on the pool deck and every place else. At least now parents will tell their 5 year old i am not paying 3.50 for popcorn. 

• Like 22

7 minutes ago, md80fan said:

We actually talked to who i assume was a higher up of some kind on either harmony or symphony a couple years ago. He had white shirt with shoulder stripes. Anyway he told us royal actually does not want you to buy popcorn. He said it is such a pain to clean up especially in the theater and from carpets. Even after vacuum and sweeping you find a kernel here or there. He said the cleaning staff would love to eliminate popcorn all together but there are some people who say they MUST have it during shows. He said they price it to discourage everybody but the die hards from buying it. It actually makes sense. Could you imagine if it was free. You would see little keenals blowing around on the pool deck and every place else. At least now parents will tell their 5 year old i am not paying 3.50 for popcorn. 

What do you pay for it at home going to the movie theatre?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, md80fan said:

Excellent point.... makes sense. Having a charge as a deterrent...less popcorn sold... less mess for the cleaning staff.

27 minutes ago, gonole1972 said:

Great points everyone.  I guess I'll just go with the flow and grin a bear it.

Well you can (still) get a multi-course meal without an upcharge, so it is a little ridiculous to charge for popcorn. If the charge is indeed intended as a deterrent, so they have less cleaning to do, then I suppose it must be working. I might also argue however that movie theaters charge much more for popcorn and still manage to clean up the mess left behind (more or less). I might further argue that the crew would also prefer that there was no food at all, that would make clean up even easier, but cleaning up is part of the job, no? So maybe it's just a way to nickel and dime everyone a little more.

39 minutes ago, md80fan said:

This!

This was the conclusion I think we all came to on a much longer thread a couple years ago about paying for popcorn.

And it's one thing for adults, but can people just imagine how much of a mess there would be from kids if popcorn was free? Almost every kid would just have to have their own box (because how many kids can happily share without fighting), and eat only a portion, and how many of those boxes will end up on floor being kicked around. 

Ever looked at a theater floor after a movie? Especially a kids movie? And those people paid how much?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, md80fan said:

Anyway he told us royal actually does not want you to buy popcorn. He said it is such a pain to clean up especially in the theater and from carpets.

I've always believed this!  Consider, too, that popcorn would attract sea birds, and that'd mean yet another mess to clean up.  

Otherwise it'd be an ideal cruise snack -- it's very cheap, and almost everyone likes it.  BUT people cram it into their mouths and drop it.  As someone else said, look at the floor of any theater. 

If you love popcorn -- and I do -- you could bring along a bag of pre-popped.  Personally, I'm in love with that stuff that's half-cheese /half-caramel.  Doesn't sound like it'd be good, but I'd eat a whole bagful if I had it right now.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

On Wonder last year they were giving out very small cones of popcorn and candy floss as we call it here in the UK on the Boardwalk.   It was not every day or all day and did seem random when it was offered.

You swear they were handing out free money the way people were grabbing it!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

What do you pay for it at home going to the movie theatre?

Using that logic Royal should charge $5 to see a movie. That’s $10 less than a theater at home. Maybe $2 for tv in your stateroom. That would be a major bargain compared to my streaming service bill. 

• Like 1

Lets not compare movie theater to a royal ship. I cannot tell you how many movie theater floors are stick from spilled soda. Not sure those floors ever get cleaned. On the cruise ship they are cleaning every surface constantly. The standards of cleanliness are totally different. In addition the movie theater makes almost all their profit from soda, candy and popcorn as almost all ticket sales money goes to the movie company. Royal makes enough money selling their drink and dining packages i highly doubt someone is ringing the cash register over 3.50 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, gonole1972 said:

With RCCL looking to have a great year financially one would think that don't need to charge $3.50 for a very small half full box of popcorn.  Really??

Last year on Disney Wonder I bought four souvenir buckets of popcorn for three grandkids and a friend of theirs.  I remember it being almost $40, but refills are cheap for the rest of the cruise. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, jerryg95 said:

Using that logic Royal should charge $5 to see a movie. That’s $10 less than a theater at home. Maybe $2 for tv in your stateroom. That would be a major bargain compared to my streaming service bill. 

Logic?🙂

15 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Last year on Disney Wonder I bought four souvenir buckets of popcorn for three grandkids and a friend of theirs.  I remember it being almost $40, but refills are cheap for the rest of the cruise. 

$40 for four???  Refills should be free!

On 2/5/2024 at 9:00 AM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Whilst people still buy it they will charge for it. Not Royals fault..... 🤷

Agree, choice and I never buy any extras, Shore Excursions, Drink Packages, ect, So want say that you to all those that pay for extras on Flights and Cruises, helps keep my Base Package costs down

The reality is cruiselines like RCCL are shifting more toward a land-based resort model of pricing. I wouldn't be surprised in the future to see your cruise ticket only covering your room with all food being a cost just like a hotel. Maybe they offer meal plans like Disney or and all inclusive option but I wouldn't be surprised to see lines remove all complimentary/included food. The lines will chalk it up to choice and better quality, 

I hope that's not the case but it wouldn't surprise me. 

• Like 2