The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday February 10th, 2024

kazu

Good morning from Bassaterre, St. Kitts.  Basically the same weather we have today as last month.   High winds on arrival and cloudy.  We are going ashore to shop this time, no shore excursions.  

Thanks for the daily reports and maps @kazuand @rafinmd.   @StLouisCruisers thanks for the photos of today's port. 

@JazzyVthank you for the cares and celebrations reports.  Prayers for everyone on our list, the people of Ukraine and the innocent in Gaza.  

I have a question for our members that are on the Hawaii cruise.  How full is your ship and the characteristics of the general passenger population.  I am thinking of tacking on a B2B for ours next year.  The vibe on the Volendam of long cruise population was so calm with so many long time cruisers.  This cruise we are on is a zoo.  We avoid the Lido but we can't escape it like we can  currently having a NS because we will be in a balcony cabin. Many thanks for any feedback.  

Have a lovely Saturday.  Nancy 

• Like 26

Happy Saturday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Warm but cloudy. Up in the 50s. Home chores on the list today and a walk in the park with Fancy. Still without an oven. Will probably buy it next week. I have learned to cook with a hotplate and then the Instant pot comes in handy. For the Superbowl, we are going to try and cook a pizza on the grill. Should be an interesting endeavor. 

Happy birthday @Haljo1935.

Thank you @JazzyV for all you do putting the care and celebration list together. 

This forum is very much appreciated, and I appreciate the community so much. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

110 Hilarious Funny Saturday Memes to Make Brighten Your day - Dreams Quote

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Feb 10

Slow cooker green bean casserole with crispy onions. A nice side but not a meal.

This one is easy but the proportions serve a crowd. It does free up your oven for other things.

https://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/slow-cooker-green-bean-casserole/

image.thumb.png.c09fc8e4d4419fd9a5ac40fedb6a29b9.png

This one uses frozen green beans instead of canned and is a more reasonable 8 servings

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/229809/slow-cooker-green-bean-casserole/

image.png.ea2099fb07d2cfb4f92c5d83f0911d9c.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 16

@JazzyVcongratulations on your one year anniversary. You are very organized and on top of everything even in your pain. I hope that can be alleviated soon. 

Every time I wander into another thread I appreciate how civil we all are on this one. Thank you all.

best wishes to all celebrating and prayers for those that need them.

• Like 29

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for our daily dose of useful information.  Happy Chinese New Year!  Please pass the cream cheese brownies.  I doubt today’s quote would go well if it were possible.  The meal suggestion is one of my favorite holiday side dishes.  The drink sounds tempting and almost a mocktail.  I haven’t been to today's port.  Prayers for those on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events and happy birthday to @Haljo1935! 🎉🎂🥂

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a warming and sunny day at the beach

Currently 68 and going to 76 and n wind. It will be a nice day. Plan on walking the beach later to see how much erosion has occurred with all that turbulent surf we have had the last week.

We no longer receive a newspaper. In fact it is even difficult to buy one here. Publix and Walgreens have a few of the Orlando newspaper but that about it. I like cream cheese brownies and green bean casserole. Never been to the port.

@Haljo1935  A very Hapopy Birthday to you! May you have many more.

@JazzyV   Thank you for keeping our list for a year. I dont know how you do it!

This is such a wonderful thread. People are so caring about each other. We learn si much here, how to cook, garden, travel and port info, geography and past hstory. It is amazing!

Lot to do today so best get at it!

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We still receive a printed newspaper, but often it's so few pages that we refer to it as the daily flyer.  Happy Lunar New Year - we call it Lunar rather than Chinese because we have friends in other Asian countries (Vietnam, South Korea and Singapore) who also celebrate the holiday, not just the Chinese.  Oh, I'd love if someone would deliver a pan of cream cheese brownies to my door!  

Yesterday went very well - arrived at the hospital by 10:30, DH had an ECG, was weighed, measured and had his bp taken, then we sat.  Around noon a young woman came into the room for the TAVI explanation and assessment.  DH aced both the cognitive and strength & fitness tests, which was great!  Around 1 the cardiac surgeon came in, examined and interviewed DH, explaining the process to acquire a replacement valve - it has to go before a panel for approval.  She said although his stenosis was classed as moderate to severe, she felt she could make a good case for him needing the replacement sooner rather than later.  She also said we would keep the original date of the CT scan (Mar 11), as it would show better the extent of the damage to his artery, which I guess makes sense.  By the time we left, we were both hungry, so for a treat we went to Five Guys where, although we both ordered the smallest burger, we brought half of our orders home.  I still think they have the best fries in town.

@Haljo1935 Happy Birthday to you and many happy, healthy returns of the day!

@JazzyVCongratulations on your 1st Anniversary of taking care of our C & C List; thank you for all you do to keep track of everyone!!

On the way home yesterday, I made a stop at Walmart where I picked up more yarn - I'd found a nice pattern online making a knit lace type pattern that I began last night.  I only had to rip it out twice before getting it right.  LOL  Today will be spent working on the blanket and watching sail-away this afternoon.

I would love to try the drink of the day if @kochleffel made it for me, will let others enjoy the wine (bet it's pricey!), and can honestly say I've never tasted a green bean casserole.  I almost choked when I read the first recipe calling for 10 cans of green beans!  We didn't have pizza last night because we were still enjoying the leftover burgers & fries from lunch, so tonight we'll order something cheesy and meaty to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

I just noticed that I have been a member of Cruise Critic for 23 years today! Where has the time gone!

Wow on 23 years!  Happy CC anniversary 🙂 

@ger_77 Gerry, so glad to hear that things went well yesterday and Maurice’s chances for replacement and promising 👍 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

ScreenShot2024-02-10at06_16_51.png.01eabddd89241845d8b1686593b85156.png

Good Morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  Happy Lunar New Year to those who celebrate! Lunar New Year is such a big deal in China and I was lucky enough to celebrate it several times.  I am not sure newspapers only "print" news that is fit to print, and I am salivating thinking about cream cheese brownies.  My take on the quote is that I would be born with all the knowledge of an 80 yo and keep that knowledge as I reverse age to 18 - I wholeheartedly would love that.  I do like green bean casserole but to waste a crock pot on it - no.  The drink - hmmmmm - no to the wine and never been to the port.  Interesting days in history.

ScreenShot2024-02-10at06_05_20.thumb.png.2c64d714a6175dc72b4c1416bfce7031.png

We are under a winter storm warning and rain is expected all day with bouts of heavy showers and snow in the mountains.  Presently 43F and it is not going to change much.  Our mountains will get a good dose of snow and it will be beautiful to see tomorrow.  

IMG_4076.thumb.JPG.cd5bef4d09acc6dc811591fbc047206e.JPG

I got lots of hugs from some of my previous students yesterday. Some walked by the door during passing period saying "oh, I wish YOU were our sub today".  It made me feel good.  Then I got a message saying the surgeon was in emergency surgery and most likely will not make our telehealth call.  SMH!  I will have to call Monday and schedule an appt for after I get back home.  Off to the gym and then ............

IMG_4182.JPG.2ae8568d4a6f87fc25171d1c7cbcd043.JPG

@Haljo1935 Happy Birthday!!  @JazzyV Thanks for all you do and Happy "Posting" Anniversary!! Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers for those celebrating.

ScreenShot2024-02-09at16_18_43.thumb.png.64eae14d1cf530ad06316edbfc80b305.png

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 11

Happy Birthday to Elizabeth.  @Haljo1935!

It will be sixty today but the following days may contain some snow…or only rain.

My father had the NYT delivered to his office and would bring it home at night. The three of us divided up the sections and would trade back and forth. Sundays were better as the really fat paper was delivered to our home and we could try the crossword together. My remaining sibling still calls me on Sundays looking for clues to the puzzle. We try to finish it by noon for that reason. Nice memories.

I started cooking the Thanksgiving dinner in my thirties for my extended family.The first year I left out the green bean casserole because I don’t like it. I had twenty people to dinner and I think everyone of them asked where the green beans were. I told them to make their own and bring it next time as I would not make it. They did. 

Last night we had no help and on the weekends we don’t have an aide. DD and DSIL are helping Tana while I take a rest today. I plan on getting out in the nice weather with the dogs in a little while.Tana seems a little better today but the coughing is ongoing.

@marshhawk, I hope someone sees you today, please.

@ger_77, I am glad at least part of the assessment has been done. the burgers sound very tasty.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning Dailyites from a 59 degree, misty, rainy morning. 

@GTVCRUISER A beautiful rainbow over San Diego! Thank you.

Happy Birthday to @Haljo1935

Happy Anniversary @JazzyV for 1 lovely year of your prayers,  cares, and celebrations lists! And thank you to all our contributors that make a difference!

Oh gosh, our prayer lists have sure grown. I'm hoping someone moves to the celebration list soon. @ger_77 So happy to hear good news on Maurice. I hope things keep moving along!

Last night the Mardi Gras party was wonderful. Our friends made all kinds of dishes. Crawfish, shrimp, crab, boudin, gumbo, sausages, jambalaya, dirty rice..the lust marches on. They did remove the baby from the King cake so there was no choking hazard. We drew numbers to see who hosts next year. Whew, it wasn't me!

image.png.a1f388156d0bc85cb23c35d15817850a.png

image.png.0af0493d3b504a2863c5e702845bcc9b.png

And who's ready for SUPER BOWL!!

image.png.ed39849e1346e50f0a675660b76607c0.png

And, the puppy bowl!

image.png.42cb02ed72511134bba7301c0eec789d.png

Commercials?

image.png.bb80ae2b1e64d16f736ad33e6de0b434.png

Don't forget half time!

image.png.a59ee70d3d72a4240b4b49837f2815a5.png

Have a great weekend. Call a friend! Sending love and blessings!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning.  A big thank you to all who keep this thread moving along.

We made it on to Vision of the Seas with no problems.  DSIL made it home from the hospital with no more issues.  Life is good. We are in Charleston today and it is nice and warm.  Katherine 

• Like 29

🎉 Happy New Year! Go Dragons 🐉 !  🎂 Happy birthday @Haljo1935. 🎉Happy anniversary @JazzyV and many thanks for your dedication. Wishing you could feel all better right now!  Great to hear of your project moving along. 

Cloudy but no snow!  I can enjoy the clouds better when I can see their forms and structure. I just ordered a meteorology book on clouds!  One of my excellent multi-day firefighting classes was half meteorology so I will have fun reviewing and building on that knowledge.  

Haven’t been to Japan. Have never made a green bean casserole and probably never will now. Love Mark Twain but that quote doesn’t do much for me. The brownies sound yummy. I’ve enjoyed Greenwich Observatory and Haley’s comet. My mom flew out to New Mexico to see it with me, she was so thrilled, she had waited her whole life since it had last come when she was a baby… she lived another 15 years!  

Last night we went out to our first off-campus concert in our new environment. It was a large group, maybe 75 musicians of mostly brass and woodwinds plus percussion and one (electric) bass. Pre-concert performance was the eighth graders from nearby school and they sounded great too. Wonderful to see that there are schools still teaching music. Had a lovely evening.  It was fun to adventure out but the dark unfamiliar roads are intimidating to me, I hope I can get over that. 

Really enjoyed my new mindful meditation group yesterday too. The leader was fun and upbeat!  Good discussion of shifting our awareness away from judgement and negativity to decrease our cortisol and improve our immune system and wellness. Also two short meditations, one guided, accompanied by two or three harmonizing ringing bowls- I enjoyed allowing the beautiful sounds to enveloped me. So yesterday was very uplifting for me!  

Great to hear Annie @marshhawk is coughing less, I was very relieved and hope it continues. 
Thanks for the update Gerry @ger_77 on DH’s assessment. Good to hear they are ok with the schedule. (I’m sure you want it over and done, I know that feeling.) 

Blessings to all in need, near and far, especially remembering all on our Care list.
Cheers for those Celebrating! Smooth travels for all away. Enjoy. Thanks all for being here!  Happy Saturday. 
Maureen

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  I am in need of bird seed, and DH is in need of donuts.  Road trip!

I saw that the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra will be performing the soundtrack live, to the Movie of The Princess Bride.  I went on line to look at prices, and got fooled.  Prices in rear orchestra showed as 39.50.  I called our friend Charles, since this is the day after his birthday in September. asked him if he like the movie, loved it, and would love to go.  I asked DH to go ahead and order, and those 39.50 tickets turned out to be 79.50, x 4 and one parking space, and now the price is up over 400 bucks.  TM really makes those fees hidden.  They are not ordered yet.

Well have to run!  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

We made it on to Vision of the Seas with no problems.  DSIL made it home from the hospital with no more issues.  Life is good. We are in Charleston today and it is nice and warm.  Katherine 

Great news 🙂. Happy to hear you are on board and wonderful that your DSIL is home and recovering 👍 

47 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Last night we had no help and on the weekends we don’t have an aide. DD and DSIL are helping Tana while I take a rest today. I plan on getting out in the nice weather with the dogs in a little while.Tana seems a little better today but the coughing is ongoing.

Dam that you didn’t have help last night 😔. So glad that your DD & DSIL are stepping up to give you a break.  I hope you can get some sleep.  

I hope Tana continues to improve and the cough dissipates 🙏 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Eva, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

We brought the new car home on Wednesday afternoon. I have to admit it was an essentially easy experience. I usually liken buying a car as to going to the dentist! The last two days I have been going out driving just to break it in, although I still have less than 100 miles on it. The picture was taken at one of our local Virginia wineries. The black-out look makes it look like a younger owner's choice in my opinion. Probably my last car so - why not!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

IMG_1214.thumb.JPG.5d34ce73889a16af413ce4200b477a80.JPG

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 30

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

1Angelcat’s friend Lynda passing 2/8

StLouisCruisers’ DGD suffering anxiety/fear after a trauma

Cruzin Terri with a trip and fall, with bruised face

Smitty34877’s Tana being treated for infection

Haljo1935 with a sinus infection

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

King Charles battling cancer

Death of 5 Marines in a helicopter crash

Outside Philly 2 police officers shot, house set ablaze, 6 people deceased

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with pulmonary issues

StLouisCruisers’ friend Scott hospitalized for infection, weakness, dehydration

Seasick Sailor’s friend Ron with multiple medical issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Haljo1935!

1 Year Anniversary of JazzyV (Vanessa) doing the Care & Celebration List!

Lunar New Year – The Year of the Dragon

Superoma’s DH with good outcome from seeing the hand surgeon

Ger_77’s DH Maurice getting a closer appointment for tests

57redbird making progress post spine surgery, pain better with Gabapentin

Superoma/Kochleffel covering the Daily meal and drink recipes 

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Quilty964 (Nieuw Statendam Feb 11 to Feb 18) 7d E. Caribbean

5 days for Mister 67 (Celebrity Equinox Feb 15 to Feb 24) 9d Aruba, Curacao & Cayman Cruise

6 days for Mr. Boston (Rotterdam Feb 16 to Feb 25) 9d Southern Caribbean Seafarer

7 days for Nickelpenny (Zaandam Feb 17 to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer

7 days for Cat Shepard (Norwegian Escape Feb 17 to Feb 24) 7d Caribbean: Great Stirrup Cay & Dominican Republic

Cruzin Terri (Oceania Vista to Feb 11) 11d Windward Islands Explorer, Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Feb 16) 8d Southeast Coast & Bahamas, summer slope (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Sharon in AZ (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Quartzsite Cruiser (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Dfish & Sue (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, 0106 (Oosterdam to Feb 20) - celebrating her birthday on board, 22d SA & Antarctica, Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆!  Thanks for posting each day!

• Like 17

Good cloudy morning. We’re waiting in line at Witmer fire department for the 1st Ox roast of the year. 
Penndot has traffic backed up on the road to Lancaster for pothole repairs.

Blessimgs and prayers to all on lists

• Like 21