Currently on Silhouette very bad experience

avp1234

1 hour ago, billc23 said:

put the lid down and then push the flush button. It usually says that on the lid of the toilet and I have often ignored that statement.

I thought the flush button is hidden behind the lid if it is up (meaning the toilet can't be flushed unless the lid is down)?

I hope the OP is ok...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shadow9612 said:

I thought the flush button is hidden behind the lid if it is up (meaning the toilet can't be flushed unless the lid is down)?

I hope the OP is ok...

It is but it is easy enough to bypass...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, billc23 said:

I am very sorry this happened to your husband and hopefully he has no ongoing issues. It is disappointing that Celebrity has not responded with a more compassionate response but sadly, I am not surprised. Another example of a changed Celebrity.

I disagree with  "An example of a useless celebrity apologist here...saying its hubby's own fault".

I find the point to be learned here is to put the lid down and then push the flush button. It usually says that on the lid of the toilet and I have often ignored that statement. I never thought of why it says to flush with the lid down but, after reading about the terrible event that happened, from now on I will heed those directions. Why can't we all show compassion and learn something from this event? 

Agreed a lesson learned, after a lousy experience.. Lid down for us from now on 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, billc23 said:

I am very sorry this happened to your husband and hopefully he has no ongoing issues. It is disappointing that Celebrity has not responded with a more compassionate response but sadly, I am not surprised. Another example of a changed Celebrity.

I disagree with  "An example of a useless celebrity apologist here...saying its hubby's own fault".

I find the point to be learned here is to put the lid down and then push the flush button. It usually says that on the lid of the toilet and I have often ignored that statement. I never thought of why it says to flush with the lid down but, after reading about the terrible event that happened, from now on I will heed those directions. Why can't we all show compassion and learn something from this event? 

How did it become 'he should put the lid down' and it's his fault?  OP said her husband heard a loud rumbling coming from the toilet, WENT TO LOOK (perhaps lifted the lid at that time?) and then the 'matter' spewed into him.  Sometimes these long threads lose the initial content along the way.  Aside from the blame game, the concern here is the reaction and rudeness from GS and lack of deserved attention.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

I'm sure OP wants the medical report as proof that there was treatment done as well as what they did. Not for diagnostic purposes on what is the last day of the cruise for them.  Always wise to build a documentation case should something abnormal happen, including making employees put in writing what they tell you to your face.  And of course if there are later insurance claims, this will likely also be necessary for reimbursements.

I’d also want to make sure that I have documentation if a bill appears for the medical treatment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

How did it become 'he should put the lid down' and it's his fault?  OP said her husband heard a loud rumbling coming from the toilet, WENT TO LOOK (perhaps lifted the lid at that time?) and then the 'matter' spewed into him.  Sometimes these long threads lose the initial content along the way.  Aside from the blame game, the concern here is the reaction and rudeness from GS and lack of deserved attention.

I think you didn’t carefully read what I said or understand what I said. Nothing about with the OP should do. Just realization that what it says on the toilet lid probably should be obeyed. Hopefully my comments benefit some of the readers. Again, sorry you didn’t understand what I said - perhaps I’m often not clear when expressing my thoughts. 

• Like 2

I tried scan each subsequent post in the topic.  I also scanned other topic pages as far back as Thursday of last week.   Unless I missed one, I find it interesting no one else on the ship reported any issue with sewage. Is the OP the only one on the ship with internet access AND know about this forum?  I ask because we are on Silhouette in the very near future.

28 minutes ago, rcrabb1513 said:

I tried scan each subsequent post in the topic.  I also scanned other topic pages as far back as Thursday of last week.   Unless I missed one, I find it interesting no one else on the ship reported any issue with sewage. Is the OP the only one on the ship with internet access AND know about this forum?  I ask because we are on Silhouette in the very near future.

It’s a rare and unfortunate incident for the OP.  Reasonably certain you won’t need to worry about this.  The OP seemed to be (rightly so) sharing how she felt they were treated during her interactions with GR.

• Like 1

sadly people flush things they shouldn't. Thinking it might have been Solstice a few years ago . A lot of rooms flooded and due to spring breakers flushing a tshirt. It was a major mess!!

9 hours ago, billc23 said:

It is but it is easy enough to bypass...

Yeah, Ive accidentally leaned back on the upright lid too hard and flushed while sitting there (no, I did not get suctioned to the seat), so it's possible.

I'd imagine there are some that slip their hand behind and flush, leaving it up.

My personal takeaway from this story:

I'm not going to attempt to diagnose in any way, the plumbing problems of a multibillion dollar corporation. Better to just call your room attendant, and let them stick their head into it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

On a slightly more aromatic subject, is there still morning coffee service at The Hideaway?  We're booked in April only a few feet from where it was when we last sailed on her.

We sailed on Silhouette in January and noticed no coffee station in the Hideaway.

2 hours ago, Kmangel said:

We sailed on Silhouette in January and noticed no coffee station in the Hideaway.

Rats.  It was really convenient being able to grab a cup first thing in the morning.

Thanks.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kmangel said:

what's there now?

when we sailed yrs ago..they had the coffee set up but kids would take the area over as an indoor  playground..not very relaxing!

Hope OP is doing well!

Edited by hcat

People ask for compensation for stupid stuff all the time, but this isn't one of those times.  Having sewage over flow in your bathroom should be worth some small comp. Getting sprayed by the toilet should warrant more including medical review, everything touched by sewage cleaned/sanitized/dry cleaned, and something extra for your trouble.

• Like 5

We got back yesterday and he’s at his drs office now. Just want to make sure no ecoli or something worse. I know things like this doesn’t worry some people, but it does us. When black sewage and chemicals actually goes in your face and eyes. 

He woke up this morning sick. Idk if it’s covid, strep, flu or what. Their testing him for that first. What a trip 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So, he tested positive for Covid. After that their gonna set up an appointment for bloodwork to have a baseline for disease that can be caught from what happened. Apparently, like we thought you can catch things from his exposure. I was worried on the ship, but now it’s a wait and worry more about his health that we’re home. And not one person on that ship took it seriously. 

Edited by avp1234
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, avp1234 said:

So, he tested positive for Covid. After that their gonna set up an appointment for bloodwork to have a baseline for disease that can be caught from what happened. Apparently, like we thought you can catch things from his exposure. I was worried on the ship, but know it’s a wait and worry more about his health that we’re home. And not one person on that ship took it seriously. 

I am so sorry to read what you have been through and now COVID.  What a nightmare!  Thank you for the update.   Wishing you only the best going forward.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, avp1234 said:

We got back yesterday and he’s at his drs office now. Just want to make sure no ecoli or something worse. I know things like this doesn’t worry some people, but it does us. When black sewage and chemicals actually goes in your face and eyes. 

He woke up this morning sick. Idk if it’s covid, strep, flu or what. Their testing him for that first. What a trip 

So sorry.....hope there isn't more than a potential flu or cold.  EDIT:  just read it's Covid.  I wonder if it's a leap to consider it came from the toilet residue?  You were absolutely right to pursue this with medical and GS.  Did you inform land executive offices?

Thank you for keeping us informed...your privacy is important and not necessary to share with us.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

So sorry.....hope there isn't more than a potential flu or cold.  EDIT:  just read it's Covid.  I wonder if it's a leap to consider it came from the toilet residue?  You were absolutely right to pursue this with medical and GS.  Did you inform land executive offices?

Thank you for keeping us informed...your privacy is important and not necessary to share with us.

No, I haven’t. Honestly, I wasn’t going to say much about the ship because I didn’t want to sound like a complainer, but it was dirty. I just found out. Covid I can handle, I just hope the rest of the tests are negative. Thats what I was worried about when it happened. 

Edited by avp1234
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, avp1234 said:

No, I haven’t. Honestly, I wasn’t going to say much about the ship because I didn’t want to sound like a complainer, but it was dirty. I just found out. Covid I can handle, I just hope the rest of the tests are negative. Thats what I was worried about when it happened. 

My brother & sister in law were on the same sailing they thought the ship was beautiful and commented on the ship was kept so clean with "cleaning people everywhere we turned".  They are not the most experienced cruisers, this was only their 4th cruise.  Was it you cabin that was dirty or did you find the public areas unclean?

• Thanks 1

I know you aren't relating Covid to the sewage experience.  It's just a fact of life that chances are pretty good of coming home after a cruise with covid.  Much like it used to be the dreaded cruise cough (which is another upper respiratory virus).  Unfortunately people experiencing symptoms on vacation don't care and continue to mingle with the masses.  "It's my vacation".