The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday March 11th, 2024

kazu

Today is 311 Day, Debunking Day, and National COVID-19 Day

And suddenly you know: It's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings -- Meister Eckhart

Meal Suggestion for today - Middle Eastern Lamb Stew
Drink of the Day - White Negroni
Wine of the Day - Matahiwi Estate Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Los Angeles, CA US

Today in History:
2020 COVID-19 declared a pandemic by the head of the World Health Organization Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, with 121,564 cases worldwide and 4,373 deaths
1957 Charles Van Doren finally loses on US TV game show "Twenty-One" after winning $129,000 - later revealed to be fixed

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Roatan Island, Mahogany Bay-Coxen Hole, Honduras 08:00 - 17:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Fakarava Atoll, Tuamotus French Polynesia eta 03-12

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos eta 03-12

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos 7:00am 3:00pm 

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Punta Arenas, Chile Antarctica eta 03-12

Rotterdam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 12:00 - 

Zaandam

Bridgetown, Barbados 08:00 - 17:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Burnie, Tasmania Australia 07:30 - 19:00 

Volendam

Tauranga, Rotorua, New Zealand 10:00 - 19:00 

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Himeji, Japan Hyogo eta 03-13

Zuiderdam

Tianjin, Beijing, China - 18:00

• Like 15
  • Thanks 26

I'll pass on the meal of the day, been to L.A., we all know how covid affected us and we still have people who don't believe in getting vaccinated. 

• Like 26

Today’s Care List:

Grapau27’s Sarah’s Father passing on 3/9/2024

Ger_77’s DH’s CT scan today

Safe travels to bennybear, returning from Hawaii

Cat Shepard’s DSis post emergency surgery, now at rehab

Fires in the Texas panhandle and OK

National Guard helicopter crash, killing 3, seriously injuring 1

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Lazey1 with mitral stenosis, pulmonary edema

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday to dfish’s DS Sue!

57redbird in Maui for a 2 week vacation

StLouisCruisers’ DGD Morgan moving into her new place 3/11

RMLincoln’s DH Richard with a good report from his eye appointment

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy discharged to home!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas Mar 15 to Mar 23) 8d Southeast Coast & Bahamas, with her sister

5 days for Suslor (Zaandam Mar 16 to Mar 30) 14d Panama Canal

5 days for RedNeckBob (Celebrity Reflection March 16 to March 24) 8d E. Caribbean, then (Nieuw Statendam March 24 to March 31) 7d E. Caribbean

5 days for Crazy For Cats (Eurodam Mar 16 to Mar 27) 11d E. Caribbean Wayfarer

6 days for Scrapnana (Rotterdam Mar 17 to Mar 29) 12d E. Caribbean Wayfarer

Nickelpenny (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, Mtn2Sea (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, 0106 (Nieuw Statendam to Mar 17) 14d W/E Caribbean, w/BFF, USN59-79 (Seabourn Sojourn to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 26

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte 

Cool morning heading up to 77 this afternoon 

Strange days, I have no idea what 311 day is and we need a National Covid Day like a hole in the head

Pass on the meal and drink

We have visited Los Angeles many times

Have a great day and stay well

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Happy Monday!

Cold and windy today, but sunny this afternoon.

Not sure what 311 Day is about, their are lots of myths that need to be debunked but COVID is real, and hasn't gone away.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good, hope the drink and wine are wonderful too.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.   Stay safe.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning friends!  It's a very chilly 36F this A.M. and will be 63 with partly cloudy skies today.  Hoping our nighttime temps start rising again this week.  Isn't it nearly spring?

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for presenting the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps today for Rich @richwmn,  We appreciate it!  Well, I had no idea we had a 311 Day, not sure what Debunking Day means, and don't feel like celebrating National Covid 19 Day.  Back in 2020 we flew from Atlanta to Detroit on March 3 and back home again on March 10 after a visit there.  The following day the pandemic was announced?  And within a week we began our "two week shutdown" to curb the virus.  Hmmm...  I'm surprised we didn't come down with it right then and there.  Anyway, I'll say no to the meal and the cocktail but will have some of the Sauvignon Blanc.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports!  

Prayers said today for all here on the Daily Care list, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held and the military members in danger in the region.  Also for DB, great nephew Alex's twin babies, DGD Morgan and friends Scott and Susan.🙏

After class this morning Morgan will head over to her new apartment and is very, very excited about it.  Her Dad (ex-SIL) and sister will come down from Ohio this coming weekend to help her with some furnishings and swap cars with her.  Morgan's needs a repair and her Dad will handle that back in Ohio.  DD will go down to Tampa the following weekend while on spring break from teaching to help Morgan out too.  Things are working out A-okay! 🎉 I'd like to say congrats to all on the Celebration list and especially the cruisers. 🚢 Happy Birthday Sue!  🎂  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your help with the list updating each day!

The destination today is Los Angeles, California.  We had that port on July 4, 2023 and the port of San Pedro on Aug. 29, 2023.  San Pedro is the actual port for Los Angeles though there is another port in Long Beach.  I've sailed to and from San Pedro many times and all cruises were on Princess.  There were 6 cruises total with 9 embarkation or disembarkations.  And of course we've visited Los Angeles many times with family there still.  Here are the links for your convenience.

Have a great Monday everyone!  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Happy Monday everyone and thank you to Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann & Dixie for your ongoing contributions.

Good collection of days - There seems to be a lot to debunk these days & covid is still here - like it or lump it.  No 311 in Canada so I will let our friends south of the border celebrate that.  I like the quote.  Lamb stew sounds wonderful as does today’s white wine 🙂  Been to Los Angeles once but on land, not by cruise ship.

IMG_1671.thumb.jpeg.f3bcf4a8bc9eefa47e79216af3c14cf2.jpeg

It’s also National Napping Day and I am very hopeful I can celebrate that at some point.  Up way too early from pain in my foot which would not subside so after trying to sleep for an hour, I gave up and got up.  I am not sure if it is a good sign or not as it seems a bit less numb but with the nerves firing up it’s a big ouch (Damn Raynaulds). 

IMG_1539.thumb.jpeg.c88d53ce7bc7fae1190a93da060b5dc4.jpeg

Wicked, wicked storm yesterday.  Rain, sleet, whatever just teemed down.  Winds were very high and we didn’t even get a warning?  🤷‍♀️   I was still unwell yesterday so today will be catch up on what yesterday’s tasks, hopefully.  The storm continues throughout the day here and into tomorrow. ‘Sigh’.  I keep reminding myself to be grateful I am not in Newfoundland.

Outlook-image003.J.jpeg.39ef26c85672a479016aa31924280787.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

Outlook-image008.J.jpeg.c93ca9a0ed395052794a5d773a815674.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Haha 7

Happy Monday. Thanks for the daily and fleet reports. 

This time change is not agreeing with me. Cold and very windy. We had a little snow yesterday. 

Working on assignments today for my classes. 

Chase will have his surgery on Thursday. Another one of my cats, Fiona, is now not feeling well so hopefully I can get her in to see the vet. No appetite for her and seems lethargic. She's up in years so this is worrisome. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Monday Cat Meme Funny Image Photo Joke 13 | QuotesBae

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good morning.

It is 42°F and cloudy here in North East England.

Thank you for today's reports.

3 interesting days.

Today's food and wine sounds good.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who they can help.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240311_112718.jpg

Screenshot_20240311_113618.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 12

White Negroni cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces gin
1 ounce Lillet blanc
1/2 ounce Suze gentian liqueur
Garnish: lemon twist

Steps
Add the gin, Lillet blanc and Suze into a mixing glass with ice and stir for 15 to 20 seconds until well-chilled.
Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
Garnish with a lemon twist.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 7.32.08 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 14

Good morning. It is very windy and felt cold to me when I went out with the doggies. 311 around here is like dialing in to the abyss. I am sure we are all very aware of COVID . I will cheer debunking day. I would love to go to Los Angeles and will enjoy pictures. Lamb stew sounds interesting .

@marshhawk, Annie, I was reading yesterdays daily late last night and burst out laughing! I think only the home owners get financial compensation and there is a bit of resentment on the two streets. The other home being filmed looks like a triple decker that has been turned into apartments. Last week a masonry company came and replaced the stone work in front of the house across the street and I doubt the home owners paid for that. Thank you for the nice thought though!

I am waiting for Tana’s aide to arrive and then I will hit the grocery stores. Dinner plans are not made yet. 
Have a great day today everyone.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

It is a cold start to the day here in mid-Michigan.  Currently 27F, it is supposed to warm up to 58 with full sunshine.  The sunshine part sounds wonderful!  I haven't seen the birthday girl yet this morning, but she is surely going to be surprised to receive so many birthday greetings from the Daily.  @StLouisCruisers I'm happy Morgan gets to move into her new apartment and can feel safe.  @smitty34877 How wonderful that DS and family are enjoying Farkel.  It is an easy game to learn and lots of fun.  The language sometimes flies around here when the dice don't cooperate.  But, that is part of the fun.  

Not much on the agenda today.  I'm going to the pool for water fitness and Sue is going to walk the track.  We're supposed to go out to dinner with DS Mary Jo tonight to celebrate the birthday girl.  

The first recipe today has some interesting twists to it - dried apricots, for one.  I'm not a fan of lamb, so would probably never attempt this, although it looks good.   https://www.themediterraneandish.com/moroccan-lamb-stew-recipe/

lambstew1.thumb.jpg.19d27d03b215155f8ef15c3ba39515fc.jpg

Here's one for the instant pot. The spice blend in this one sounds fabulous!  https://www.feastingathome.com/instant-pot-middle-eastern-lamb-stew/

lambstew2.jpg.c20bc4d4d1dd105393e7658a5d7d06ec.jpg

This recipe was devised with the Daily in mind.  The secret ingredient is butternut squash.  I knew I had to include it.  https://themom100.com/recipe/moroccan-lamb-butternut-squash-stew/

lambstew3.thumb.jpg.470a74d6f9888eef4d1fff7e36a43299.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Good evening/morning. It’s ten PM Monday evening here and just returning to cabin for the night.

Great sea day with good lectures, trivia and watching the world go by at sea. Dinner in specialty restaurant and they accommodated a dish not on the menu for me.

Thanks for the reports and post. Some pics from yesterday’s visit. Tomorrow we visit Madang, New Guniea where the first Australian Coastal Watchers trained local indigenous natives to assist in World War II.

Tonight we have some movement with two to three meter seas which seems pale to our previous rough seas.

Thanks for the report and post. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.8e9697661d03fcc9c727283818bcd58c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.744474dbbb4b866ba37d24e5104a7aa0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.142ec606f0886394e08c28ad409e5b07.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e4ba6a89e2cf60b9c179a83ee96263ee.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f21dcb8b38ccf7ea716d3a96f36b44dc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8b8f717af6c39910fca7d122813a9c33.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 7