What gifts do you bring back for family?

I didn't want to bring back souvenirs of my trip to give others as it would be meaningless. So instead I bought some treats from one of the cruise shops. As I'm crossing borders getting home (US to Canada), I'm a bit wary of bringing food though. However snacks should be ok?

What kind of gifts have you brought back from your cruise?

I don't buy many souvenirs for others.  I occasionally buy candy for my mom that isn't available in Canada.  I've brought chocolates from Switzerland and England, licorice from Denmark and Turkish Delight from Turkey.  I also brought some caviar back from Norway, olive oil and balsamic vinegar from Italy and saffron from Spain.  Make sure you declare it when you get back to Canada.

• Like 1

I bring sweet treats, or light flat items like scarves, tote bags, necklaces or earrings for friends.

It's important that whatever it is, it is easy to pack and doesn't add any significant weigh to my checked luggage.

• Like 1

We used to bring stuff back for family members.  We don't any more because it seems all we are doing is adding to inventory for next year's garage sale.   Exception would be sweets.  We still do that if we find something we think might be especially appreciated. 

OP -- the packaged treats you are describing should be no issue bringing home.  

• Like 1

I purchase saffron to give to the friends that cook when in the Mediterranean.  It's REALLY expensive here in the USA.  For me, I buy clothes or inexpensive  jewelry of some sort ( a small ring, necklace with charm).

A few years ago we spent a few weeks driving through Ireland.  DW stopped in some shops, looking for gifts, and was not happy with what she saw or the prices (the US Dollar was weak at the time).  We bought nothing.  But when we returned home, DW visited a local "Irish store" and found some nice Irish products for less than it would have cost in Ireland :).  

Just this past year, I stopped at the Duty Free shop on the Sky Princess and noticed that some of the "Duty Free' higher-end booze items were more expensive than the same products at home, where we have a pretty high taxi and all the booze is sold at State stores.  Princess has a price guarantee, so I showed the shop manager that decent Cognac and Scotch was cheaper in Pennsylvania (with all its taxes) than at their shop on Princess.  She just laughed and said their price match was only a match for similar items at ports on that particular cruise.  When I mentioned that the booze was a lot cheaper in Ft Lauderdale (our embarkation/debarkation port) she explained that they do not consider that one of their ports for price matching :).

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sandie5 said:

I didn't want to bring back souvenirs of my trip to give others as it would be meaningless. So instead I bought some treats from one of the cruise shops. As I'm crossing borders getting home (US to Canada), I'm a bit wary of bringing food though. However snacks should be ok?

Foodstuffs, (being anything one can consume), can be tricky. See https://inspection.canada.ca/food-safety-for-consumers/bringing-food-into-canada-for-personal-use/eng/1389630031549/1389630282362 for guidance. 

Of course one has to conform first to US import rules.

My young grandson usually gets a book.  After down sizing to our retirement home we saw how little was truly important to us so really do not add much but I will buy a bit of local yarn if one appeals to me. My other purchase would be a good linen tea towel because I will use that everyday in my kitchen.

• Like 1

I may buy a single Christmas ornament to remember a place we visited (for myself). I don't need the calories, or the dust collectors that other things bring. As for gifts for family - nothing, unless they ask for something specific. 

17 minutes ago, mom says said:

I may buy a single Christmas ornament to remember a place we visited (for myself). I don't need the calories, or the dust collectors that other things bring. As for gifts for family - nothing, unless they ask for something specific. 

Collecting/adding to the collection can be a lot of fun.  Mrs Ldubs used to purchase a Swarovski crystal figure during every international trip (land or sea).  We have a large curio with 101 of the critters.  She figured that was enough, so no more Swarovski's.    

I’ve had friends and family that collected little trinkets like those tiny little silver spoons, key chains, and shot glasses. Some of these can be destination-specific and quite unique. On one cruise to Alaska I came back with a wooden train whistle that one kid loved. Lots of other ideas included inexpensive (but very attractive) small hand-carved artistry, and bookmarks for my friends that are readers. Find out what they like and collect, and browse the port stores for affordable gifts. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sandie5 said:

We don't. No point.

Not sure my 2 sons would appreciate gifts from a cruise ship.

I like to look for local artists and support them. In January we stopped in Trinidad and purchased a few items from a local artist. He asked for $15 and I told  him I did not like that number, I will only take the items for $20. The smile on his face was well worth the extra $5.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

For myself I often buy a coffee cup of places I go to - usually just one of a whole trip, not every place on the trip. Something I use at home, not dust collecting, and I like having a range of coffee cups reminicsent of my travels.

Sometimes christmas ornaments from craft markets

Other than that, I sometimes buy little things for the grandkids - tshirts, little toys - eg in Budapest market  I bought those little wooden nesting dolls

Sometimes I buy a tshirt for myself.

• Like 2

I love to buy a Christmas ornament to put on my tree and remind me of all my vacations/adventures. It doesn't have to be specific to every port like the blown crystal ornament I bought at Nova Scotia Crystal on my New England/Canada cruise with my mom. I also bought some All-Clad cooking pieces to add to my collection. Expensive yes, but it's something I use all the time and they shipped to me (same with the crystal ornament and the crystal bourbon glasses I bought also).

I'll be in Key West in a few weeks and I'd like to get some souvenirs for my co-workers and my 2 adult sons...but I'll want to ship it all home.  I HIGHLY recommend shipping items if it's not too expensive as they know how to package things and what to do to get through customs. Plus you don't have to take up room in your luggage. You may not be able to give out the gifts right away, but it'll give you a chance to relive your trip when everything does arrive and you give things out.

• Like 1

Now that the kids are grown we don't bring anything back for family members. When they were young it varied based on their interests. Books, jewelry, t-shirts, stuffed animals etc.

Now the only thing I bring back for others, is some type of sweet treats for my book club.

For us, we get a Christmas ornament and a fun bottle opener for the bar.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 9:47 AM, mom says said:

Yep. We'll buy an 'ornament' for the tree. I put that in quote because what's on there can be silly. One is a glass evil we got in Turkey. As for the family not usually anything. They each have specific tastes. I'll also mention that when we did our Norwegian coastal cruise, every knick knack was "made in China."

We bring back a t-shirt for each of our kids, but that's about it for gifts. For ourselves we buy a magnet from each port/city we visit for our collection and maybe an ornament for our Christmas tree or a coffee mug. Small things cost less, are easier to pack and weigh less.

I never bring anything back for anyone. It seems many folks don't realize some of us have no family (at least locally).  The only thing I can remember purchasing in the past few years is a pair of beautiful earrings from Rhodes, Greece. But as for bringing back "souvenirs" for family?

Never do it and never will.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 8:38 AM, Hlitner said:

A few years ago we spent a few weeks driving through Ireland.  DW stopped in some shops, looking for gifts, and was not happy with what she saw or the prices (the US Dollar was weak at the time).  We bought nothing.  But when we returned home, DW visited a local "Irish store" and found some nice Irish products for less than it would have cost in Ireland :).  

Just this past year, I stopped at the Duty Free shop on the Sky Princess and noticed that some of the "Duty Free' higher-end booze items were more expensive than the same products at home, where we have a pretty high taxi and all the booze is sold at State stores.  Princess has a price guarantee, so I showed the shop manager that decent Cognac and Scotch was cheaper in Pennsylvania (with all its taxes) than at their shop on Princess.  She just laughed and said their price match was only a match for similar items at ports on that particular cruise.  When I mentioned that the booze was a lot cheaper in Ft Lauderdale (our embarkation/debarkation port) she explained that they do not consider that one of their ports for price matching :).

Hank

Duty Free shops anywhere are seldom (if ever) a better deal than at home in the US (even in locations with State Liquor Stores).

On the other hand, in-port specialty liquor/wine shops and, in particular, excursions to your itinerary’s regional wineries/distilleries can mean some rare/real acquisitions/bargains for knowledgeable/discerning consumers.

For example, certain varietal wines are very difficult to find outside of their country (or even their appellation) and may certain editions may only be available at the winery or distillery itself. Caricante wine (from a “postage stamp” sized Sicilian appellation) immediately comes to mind. Same holds true for spirits (like the oh-so-affordable/exquisite Dingle Gin from Ireland).

That said, however, a little research back home can often find a U.S. distributor/specialty shop that can get what you want. Of course, however, the State Store predicament in some locations most often puts the screws to any hope of shipping from a different State.

BTW: Anyone headed to SYD for a cruise? If so, check out the Red Bottle Wine Shop (formerly the Australian Wine Center) at Circular Quay (a short walk from the ship if it’s parked there).

Also, is Ensenada a stop on a future cruise? If so, find a guide or excursion and head straight for Val de Guadalupe wineries and some excellent wines.

The list goes on ….