The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday March 30th, 2024

kazu

Today is Doctor’s Day, Earth Hour, and National Folding Laundry Day

Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood.--Oscar Wilde, Lord Arthur Savile's Crime and Other Stories

Meal Suggestion for today - Easy Sesame Chicken with Green Beans
Drink of the Day - Singchelada
Wine of the Day - King Estate Winery 2018 Brut Cuvee
Destination of the Day - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Today in History:
1867 Alaska Purchase: US buys Alaska from Russia for $7,200,000 ($109 million in 2018), roughly 2 cents an acre
845 Paris is sacked by Viking raiders, probably under Ragnar Lodbrok, who collects a huge ransom in exchange for leaving
1549 The city of Salvador da Bahia, the first capital of Brazil, is founded
1974 Chinese farmers discover the Terracotta Army near Xi'an, 8,000 clay warrior statues buried to guard the tomb of China's 1st emperor, Qin Shi Huang

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana 08:00 - 17:00 

Koningsdam

San Diego, California 7:00-15:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-15:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Key West, Florida 08:00 - 16:00 

Oosterdam

Panama City, Fuerte Amador, Balboa 08:00 - 31 Mar 04:00 

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles eta 04-01

Volendam

Nuku Hiva Island, Taiohae, Marquesas French Polynesia 08:00 - 17:00 

Zaandam

San Diego, California 07:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Hobart, Tasmania Australia eta 04-02

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Himeji, Japan Hyogo eta 04-01

Zuiderdam

Mala, Maldives - 17:00

• Like 17
  • Thanks 24

Good morning, thanks for the Report.

Another cold morning, only -5°C (23°F) but it's supposed to warm up to a sunny 6°C (43°F) this afternoon.  I think I'll stay in and bake cookies for my hubby.  I made some earlier this week, but I took them to my mom yesterday.  We had a nice visit.  Now that the weather is getting better, we'll be able to see her more often.

I'll gladly celebrate Doctors.  I don't know why folding laundry gets a day.  I thought Earth Hour was last week.

No comment on the quote.

The dinner sounds good, hope the cocktail and wine are tasty as well.

Prayers for our world.

Have a wonderful day.   Stay safe.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

No new aches today.  Hopefull the bruises will disappear soon.

Singchelada cocktail:

Singchelada is a spicy, savory beer cocktail that is popular in Mexico and the southwestern United States. It is made with beer, lime juice, hot sauce, and various other spices and seasonings. The Singchelada is a refreshing and flavorful drink that is perfect for warm summer days or for enjoying with friends at a party. If you are looking for a new and exciting way to enjoy beer, give the Singchelada a try!

Ingredients:

1 tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp celery salt
.25 tsp black pepper
12 oz. mexican beer
1/2 tsp soy sauce

Rub the rim of a pint glass with a lime wedge, and then dip the rim in Tajin seasoning to coat(optional).
Fill the glass with ice and add the lime juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, celery salt, and black pepper.
Pour the beer into the glass and stir gently to combine. Garnish with a lime wedge(optional).

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 6.30.41 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 22

Good morning where it is 52°F and partly sunny here.

Thank you for the FR&D.

Interesting quote.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Screenshot_20240330_104508.jpg

Screenshot_20240330_104535.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 14

Good morning friends!  It will be another sunny day today, starting out for me at 43F but should reach 77 by late afternoon.  Fantastic!

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps for Rich @richwmn.  I hope he and the others on the Volendam are enjoying Nuku Hiva today.  Let's recognize doctors, Earth hour, and folded laundry.  I know I'll be folding some later.  A controversial statement by Oscar Wilde.  I'll be interested in hearing about the Sesame Chicken dish.  Never heard of a Singchelada before and would like to know what type of wine we have shown.  Wow, Alaska was a bargain and an important addition to our country.  Not a great day in Paris but a good one in Brazil.  And we have the terracotta warriors again today.  Hmmm.  I just saw that virtual vacation day is actually today so we can go on virtual vacation again today.  Nothing wrong with that!  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for our food and beverage reports.

Prayers for all our Daily Care list people, my DB, great nephew Alex's twins, friends Scott, Susan and Sandy, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages held, and the troops in the region in harm's way.  Praying for improvement in health for all in pain and suffering so much.  🙏

Cheers to our celebrants of special events and those great cruises!  🚢🎉🎂  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for updating the lists each day for us!

The port of the day is Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  This has been the port before on March 22, 2021 and May 5, 2023.  We have gone to Rio twice (once was a pre-cruise stay).  Here are the links.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful Saturday before Easter.  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Happy Easter weekend. 🐣✝️

Well, it’s raining again. Luckily I’m not in a flood area but it could be bad for others. Mudslides and houses slipping down the hill. 😳

I’ll go to my church today so I can (hopefully) take my DMiL to her church tomorrow for Easter services. Sometimes she doesn’t like to go out in the rain. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List. Thank you all for caring and sharing. Stay safe and healthy everyone. 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Happy Saturday!  Earth hour was the 23rd. It was when people around the world turned off their lights to show support for the planet and to raise awareness of the environmental issues facing it. Here is a picture of the Sydney harbor before/during Earth hour.IMG_0344.thumb.webp.159ea4880c4c409175552abf17c7b6f8.webp

Positive thoughts for those who need them. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

Summer slope hit and thrown out of golf cart; bruised and achy

Seasick Sailor’s DH Allen with abnormal lab results, eczema flareup

Ger_77’s friend Gord post-arrest, in CCU

Seasick Sailor’s friend’s DM in hospice, another friend with pulmonary issues

JazzyV with R leg pain, numbness

RIP Louis Gossett Jr.

2 crew members killed due to steam line bursting on Nieuw Amsterdam

Baltimore Key Bridge collapse, 6 people presumed dead

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; Haiti unrest

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with memory issues

Nickelpenny with leg numbness and pain

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Ocean sounds!

Happy Birthday Suslor (Susan)!

Happy Birthday cruzn single (Mary Kay)!

Happy 61st Anniversary USN59-79 (Ray & Sara)!

Welcome Home Suslor (Susan & Lorenzo)!

Welcome Home lazey1 (Jane)!

Welcome to the Fleet Report/Daily Doobieb

Hogladyrider on the way to Utah

USN59-79 in Taipei

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam Mar 31 to April 7) B2B 7d E. Caribbean + (Nieuw Statendam Apr 7 to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure

6 days for Lobsternight (Koningsdam April 5 to April 27) 22d Solar Eclipse, Mexican Riviera and Hawaii

RedneckBob (Nieuw Statendam to March 31) 7d E. Caribbean, GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam to Apr 6) B2B 7d Mexico + 7d Pacific Coastal, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Smmessineo (Rotterdam to Apr 7) 9d S. Caribbean Wayfarer, POA1 & Huskerchick (Rotterdam to Apr 7) 9d S. Caribbean Wayfarer, Ocean sounds (Zaandam to Apr 13) 14d Solar Eclipse & Mexican Riviera, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 26

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for today’s maps. Another cool morning here, but if the day turns out like yesterday did, it will be a lovely Spring day. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Praying your pain is eliminated by your upcoming surgery. 

A busy day here at Ann’s B & B. That’s how I started to refer to my place to my neighbor and friends for the 4 weeks my Sister was in the hospital and rehab. Gym, Aldi, delivery of a new washer & dryer, a Chewy delivery & a wine delivery and then appetizers, cheese and wine on the deck with friends. 

IMG_2626.jpeg.77a29786683c9826249dc44760cadc06.jpeg

IMG_2666.jpeg.44a2307168e27606dc8ee71fd67122e3.jpeg

IMG_2613.jpeg.97986f3f11838522adddbf30e5b2e6e4.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers.  Terry, thinking of you & Tana.

Cheers to all who are celebrating. Happy Birthday @Suslor & @cruzn single!

May each find a reason to smile today!

King Estate Winery 2018 Brut Cuvée 

I have yet to meet a King Estate wine that I did not really enjoy, so

I am sure I would love this sparkling cuvée. A decent number of distributors with online prices starting at $39.99.

Winemaker Notes

The wine showcases notes of pear, baked apple, white peach, brioche, floral blossom, damp slate and Meyer lemon. Fine and persistent bubbles offer a pleasant, delicate mousse with bright acidity lifting the fruit on the palate. The wine is full bodied with an elegant structure. Lingering acidity brings the wine to a complex finish.

• 93Decanter
    A vintage cuvée from 2018; a warm, dry vintage in the Willamette Valley. This blend from 100% estate fruit shows an aromatic depth with notes of honeysuckle, buttered biscuit and ripe pear. Persistent bubbles deliver a palate loaded with rich flavours of cardamom, beeswax, brioche and candied orange peel. The finish delivers great lift and longevity.
  • 91Wine Enthusiast
    Pinot Noir makes up 60% of this wine, with the rest Chardonnay, the grapes all coming from estate sites. The aromas immediately command attention, with notes of pear, brioche and ginger spice. A palate is flavorful, with a lighter-styled mousse. Lemony acidity ties it all together exquisitely. 
    Editors' Choice
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 16
  • Haha 2

Good Morning,  thanks for today's daily fleet report.  The rain stopped and today promises to be a nice sunny day. Today's agenda includes a trip to the bank and then Aldi.  I'm considering renewing my passport now rather than wait until our November cruise ends. It expires in June and we have a May 2025 cruise planned. 

The boys and Mona have demanded lots of attention since we got home.  Mona does not like to share put tolerated Jasper laying on my legs.

20240329_193934.thumb.jpg.99688fc33efa96bbacb6ec74c3db45d4.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Happy Saturday, Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Beautiful sunny start to the day today. Hope to get some outside chores done before some rain comes in. 

Update on Chase's biopsy. It did come back as a soft tissue sarcoma which is cancer in cats. The vet believes they got it all, but we have to keep an eye on it in case it comes back. No chemotherapy at this time. He has healed up nicely and is back to his old self. 

Bon voyage @ocean sounds

Everyday Bon Voyage Cards, Free Everyday Bon Voyage Wishes | 123 Greetings

Happy birthday to @Suslor and @cruzn single

101 Funny Cat Birthday Memes for the Feline Lovers in Your Life

Happy anniversary @USN59-79

happy anniversary cats - Google Search Work Anniversary Quotes, Happy ...

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

101 Funny Saturday Memes Will Make You Laugh From Morning Till Night

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Photos from Rio de Janeiro

We stayed at the Sheraton in 2012 and this was a view from the hotel of the beaches.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Area around the hotel

As a group we decided to risk walking along the roadway path to an overlook to get a better look.  Wearing no jewelry and hiding our tiny point and shoot cameras as we walked, we made it safely there and back. 

This was Feb. 17, 2012 so close to Carnival there.  The beaches were crowded.  The following morning we got a brief tour of the city as we headed to the port for embarkation.  It was utter chaos there.  The buses were parking a block or two away and letting you drag your bags to the end of the line at the terminal building.  As you approached the line, men ran out of the building and tried grabbing your bags with no identification or anything, so most of us refused until we got to a point where we were entering and could identify the people in charge of luggage.  The lines snaked all through the building.  We vowed then and there to never embark in Rio again!

Another odd thing here was just as you left the building your carry on luggage and purses were X-rayed and examined by local authorities, then you walked out the door and up the gangway and the cruise line employees X-rayed and checked your bags again.  I have no idea why it was necessary to do it that way.

Later in the afternoon we prepared to sail.  The sun was setting and we were able to get several cool shots of Christ the Redeemer. 

Exactly three years to the day that we embarked the Star Princess, we arrived in Rio on the Ruby Princess on our route from Florida to California going all the way around South America.  On Feb. 18, 2015 we went on that tour to the top of the mountain to see Christ the Redeemer in person.  It was a very cloudy day but it wasn't raining so we dealt with it.  We got on a tram like this to head to the top.  By the way, that's a photo of the statue on that wall behind the tram.  It looks life like, doesn't it?

view from the top

Christ the Redeemer statue

Sugarloaf Mountain

After our visit, walking down.

And photos along the beach on our way back to the ship.

The bus stopped and let us out to walk on that esplanade, walk in the sand, take photos, buy goods from vendors on the beach, etc. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 10

Good morning, everyone!

Somehow the Easter Bunny made an early visit to our house.  There was a nice basket on the table this morning for River.  River will be going home today and I'll bet the Easter bunny will leave her something there tomorrow as well.  

@Suslor and @cruzn single

HappyBirthday3.jpg.7529669e937d556000c569a75b86f682.jpg

@USN59-79

3fd70c4469801cf6583758a9db429c76.jpg.8a2a4a18a4c84819111cfb76417d360a.jpg

Today's meal is a quick and easy one.  It is also low carb and great for those of with diabetes.  This first recipe uses chicken thighs, but use what ever part of the chicken  you prefer.  I prefer white meat.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/280169/easy-sesame-chicken-with-green-beans/

sesamechicken1.thumb.jpg.33dfa2e6e467311135f3b1b2cb20860d.jpg

This next version is a stir fry and uses ground chicken.  You could use chicken that has been cubed or cut into small pieces.  https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/chicken-green-bean-stir-fry/

sesamechicken2.jpg.897f44141a2cb2d4739977ba9a330c9b.jpg

This next recipe uses cubed chicken breast that is dredged in cornstarch for a crispy coating.  I like that there is no sweetener in the sauce.  If you wanted a stir fry with this one, add in other veggies besides the green beans.  https://werefarfromnormal.com/easy-sesame-chicken

sesamechicken3.thumb.jpg.d3d090fa9ff547d0f5ad9deccc9a191b.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 17

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Some of this years WC went to see the terra cotta soldiers. Pictures were amazing.

@cruzn single   and @Suslor  A very Happy Birthday. May you both have many more.

@USN59-79   A very Happy Anniversary to you!

@ocean sounds   Bon Voyage! Have a wonderful trip.

@StLouisCruisers   Great pictures of Rio. Would like to go there someday.

Tomorrow is my sons birthday. So we will celebrate Easter and his Birthday. As Publix is closed tomorrow, have to pick up his cake this afternoon.

There are several sunrise services scheduled on the beach tomorrow. So it will be busy. The Delta Heavy rocket has been postponed again until Monday.

Have a great weekend

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2