Maximum Age Limits for Shore Excursions

In looking over shore excursion for an upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise, I noticed that I can no longer take part in some because they require a maximum age. When did this become a thing? Who determines that people over a certain age are too old to drive an ATV or snorkel? Is this ageism? Your thoughts?

Posted (edited)

As I understand it, @firefly333 is correct. The age (and other) guidelines posted for excursions have nothing to do with the cruise lines but have to do with the cruise line liability insurance requirements regarding those excursion providers. It is also nothing new.

My suggestion would be that if there is a ship sponsored excursion you would like to do that is restricting your participation look to book it on your own though through an independent operator.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

30 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

My suggestion would be that if there is a ship sponsored excursion you would like to do that is restricting your participation look to book it on your own though through an independent operator.

The independent operator may have the same age restrictions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Usually not.  Also you will never be able to book independently with the same providers as Royal uses. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Very possible.  But I believe it is the cruise line's liability insurance that is dictating the age restrictions with their sponsored tours.  As they are independent and not subject to the cruise line's insurance, private contractors may not have the same issue.  It would, I guess, depend on their own liability insurance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, loveandcruises said:

In looking over shore excursion for an upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise, I noticed that I can no longer take part in some because they require a maximum age. When did this become a thing? Who determines that people over a certain age are too old to drive an ATV or snorkel? Is this ageism? Your thoughts?

One of the recent threads

3 hours ago, loveandcruises said:

I agree, not fair. Should be based on a person's fitness.

Agree with @firefly333 seems to be worse since covid, including so many excursions are deemed strenuous and not available to anyone who has ever had a mild heart condition or procedure

7 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

Who could possibly evaluate someone's fitness? That would be a huge liability and could really open up a company to a law suit. 

We certainly aren't happy about the age restrictions, we had just biked across Austria but were denied an excursion to bike around a city. We are certified divers but couldn't take a snorkel trip. We work out at a high level and ski black diamond runs.  To look at us, no one would think we were in good shape. If you looked at our medication lists, you'd think we had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. We just find alternate activities rather than try to fight the age restrictions.

• Like 2

Maximum age in St Thomas in December for a snorkeling tour was 70 and my husband at 71 could not book it, I could since I was “only” 69.    In January, I could not book a snorkeling tour as I will be turning 70 in September of 2024 and Royal now lists my age as 70.

We both could go on snorkeling tours in Moorea and Tahiti last month on our Serenade cruise, there was no maximum age listed.

Sherri🙂

9 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

That is a subjective measurement.  They need something that is black or white even though it may eliminate some people who are perfectly capable and at the same time still allow others that are under the age but not physically fit to take part.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

Fairness, as any individual might see it, has nothing to do with it. Insurance liability guidelines are based on actuarial data and not individual fitness evaluations. That would not be feasible to determine individually on any given cruise excursion, because, as mentioned by several responders already, how and by whom would that be determined?

As also mentioned, there are liability based guidelines in place based on this data and have been for many years.

17 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Fairness, as any individual might see it, has nothing to do with it. Insurance liability guidelines are based on actuarial data and not individual fitness evaluations. That would not be feasible to determine individually on any given cruise excursion, because, as mentioned by several responders already, how and by whom would that be determined?

As also mentioned, there are liability based guidelines in place based on this data and have been for many years.

You always sign a waiver for the excursion provider so should not be a concern of the cruise line. Let people decide for themselves and take their chances. One could step off a curb on a walking excursion and break an ankle. Probably could not sue the cruise line either.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

You always sign a waiver for the excursion provider so should not be a concern of the cruise line. Let people decide for themselves and take their chances. One could step off a curb on a walking excursion and break an ankle. Probably could not sue the cruise line either.

I'm not entering a debate about the fairness or alternatives with this and am only stating what I understand to be the reasons behind these guidelines.  Your comments perhaps would be better directed to the cruise lines who implement them.

Another reason why Royal is transitioning to a younger family oriented cruise crowd would be to make more money on excursions.

Many higher levels of Crown and Anchor are sipping their complementary drinks onboard since they cannot buy shore excursions due to age restrictions.

"Trow-em overboard.!"

🤣

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Another reason why Royal is transitioning to a younger family oriented cruise crowd would be to make more money on excursions.

Many higher levels of Crown and Anchor are sipping their complementary drinks onboard since they cannot buy shore excursions due to age restrictions.

"Trow-em overboard.!"

🤣

Transitioning?  RCCL has always targeted families as their primary demographics.  Just sharpening their aim a bit with Oasis, Quantum, and Icon class ships.

And as to higher levels of C&A sipping their complimentary drinks, watch it now, I resemble that remark - yuk, yuk, yuk!  As long as I qualify for an excursion to the bar and back, all will be good...... 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Transitioning?  RCCL has always targeted families as their primary demographics.  Just sharpening their aim a bit with Oasis, Quantum, and Icon class ships.

And as to higher levels of C&A sipping their complimentary drinks, watch it now, I resemble that remark - yuk, yuk, yuk!  As long as I qualify for an excursion to the bar and back, all will be good...... 

"An extended three hour tour.....of the Schooner Bar."

☺️

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, cruisegus said:

Usually not.  Also you will never be able to book independently with the same providers as Royal uses. 

Not true. Sometimes you can't but I have been on excursions I booked independently and there were cruise line passengers and passengers booked through 3rd parties like Viator. I paid the least. I always google the description and often find the local operator. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Not true.

Will never say never, ever, or always, etc.  But in our early days of cruising when we did book the occasional cruise sponsored excursion, we were not able (by their contract) to book certain excursions with the same operator outside of the ship when that ship was in port.  It would seem to pose a conflict of interests.  But certainly things have changed and our last experience with this was many years ago, so I am by no means providing a definitive answer or contradicting your comments.  Simply anecdotal experience.

• Like 1

We were looking at RCI sponsored zipline tours in Roatan, three had upper age limits (60, 60 and 75) and the other two had no upper age limits listed. Not sure why.

1 hour ago, joepeka said:

We were looking at RCI sponsored zipline tours in Roatan, three had upper age limits (60, 60 and 75) and the other two had no upper age limits listed. Not sure why.

The two that had no age limits used ropes with no safety gear over crocodile infested swamps. If anything went wrong, there would be no evidence and more importantly, no refunds.

🤣

• Haha 3

From what I understand, the maximum and minimum age requirements are set by the excursion tour company, likely due to insurance coverage. Age restrictions are really the only restrictions that Royal can enforce by prohibiting the ability to book (unlike height and weight which are up to the individual to acknowledge whether or not they meet the criteria).

On our recent Southern Caribbean Cruise, I ran into this issue with tours in Trinidad and Tobago that had maximum age of 60 - I could not book my parents on those tours through the Royal website. Some of the tours had a physical element to them, but they also had age restrictions on sightseeing and birdwatching tours. We ended up booking tours independently, rather than through Royal.

3 minutes ago, LittleMissMagic said:

Some of the tours had a physical element to them, but they also had age restrictions on sightseeing and birdwatching tours. We ended up booking tours independently, rather than through Royal.

I  have read that in multiple posts over the years.

Are there steep cliffs or long trails in order to get to see the birds? I could understand if it was a rocky or mountainous region.

The most dangerous thing about bird watching in New Jersey is when the seagulls try and take your lunch while you are distracted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2