I’m Breaking All The Rules!

I’m breaking all of my self-imposed rules, anyway. In an effort to sail as cheaply as possible as a solo cruiser in June, I’m letting Carnival pick my inside cabin (never allowed this before and I’ve only sailed inside on 2 prior cruises out of 11); I’m also flying in the DAY OF the cruise instead of the day before. Please pray for me! 😱🛳️

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CruzerDeb said:

I’m breaking all of my self-imposed rules, anyway. In an effort to sail as cheaply as possible as a solo cruiser in June, I’m letting Carnival pick my inside cabin (never allowed this before and I’ve only sailed inside on 2 prior cruises out of 11); I’m also flying in the DAY OF the cruise instead of the day before. Please pray for me! 😱🛳️

What is that Aerosmith song...."livin on the edge"?  Let us know how it goes...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Or Bon Jovie’s “livin’ on a prayer”! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, CruzerDeb said:

I really don't think it makes much difference what the location is with an inside cabin.   It's not like one is going to have a better view or anything like that.  Maybe a bit more noise or movement in some locations, but other than that the rooms are all pretty much the same.  None of the rooms are that far to walk to an elevator, and it's not much difference between taking the elevator up one floor or eight floors. Have a great cruise. 

• Like 5

Eeek you’re braver than me with the travel plans. I like going down the day ahead. 

I did an interior guarantee once and had really good luck. Fingers crossed you get the same!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I really don't think it makes much difference what the location is with an inside cabin.   It's not like one is going to have a better view or anything like that.  Maybe a bit more noise or movement in some locations, but other than that the rooms are all pretty much the same.  None of the rooms are that far to walk to an elevator, and it's not much difference between taking the elevator up one floor or eight floors. Have a great cruise. 

Yeah the biggest worry is you'll get a cabin directly above the night club or something like that. Other than that it's not a big deal and I book guarantee cabins often when the savings make it worthwhile.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

I see your Aerosmith "Livin' on the Edge" and raise you Molly Hatchet's "Flirtin' with Disaster".

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Any idea what the cost benefit is to do a GTY Interior stateroom over choosing your own?  Flying in the day of the cruise does save on spending the night in a hotel, plus meals.  Are you saving a vacation day as well (assuming that you are still working)?  Have you figured out your overall savings?

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.  Hopping that the ship isn't full, and you are upgraded to an OV or better.  

Keep us updated.

• Thanks 1

I often will fly in the morning of the cruise.  I have even flown to Rome (including changing planes in London), landing the morning of the cruise to make connections for the two hour transfer to Civitavecchia for a 32-day B2B2B cruise.  Although, I did get the airfare and insurance from Carnival that time.

4 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I often will fly in the morning of the cruise.  I have even flown to Rome (including changing planes in London), landing the morning of the cruise to make connections for the two hour transfer to Civitavecchia for a 32-day B2B2B cruise.  Although, I did get the airfare and insurance from Carnival that time.

Now you are a Thrillseeker!! 😲

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Noledad77 said:

I see your Aerosmith "Livin' on the Edge" and raise you Molly Hatchet's "Flirtin' with Disaster".

Exactly!! A bad room assignment you can deal with but the airlines have let me down more than once recently.  Absolutely no way I would fly in day of!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CruzerDeb said:

as a solo cruiser in June,

I'm also more inclined to take my chances on Carnival choosing my cabin and flying in the day of the cruise (although I always fly direct in that case) when I'm solo.  I guess I'm fairly flexible, but don't want to worry about stressing out somebody else. 😄

Look at it as more of an adventure!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CruzerDeb said:

hopefully not an obstructed view inside cabin. 

• Haha 9

I have used guaranteed a few times and never had a problem.  We have also flown the same day before, but it was many years ago.  I don't think we will ever do that again.     

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Any idea what the cost benefit is to do a GTY Interior stateroom over choosing your own?  Flying in the day of the cruise does save on spending the night in a hotel, plus meals.  Are you saving a vacation day as well (assuming that you are still working)?  Have you figured out your overall savings?

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.  Hopping that the ship isn't full, and you are upgraded to an OV or better.  

Keep us updated.

Really, the cost of the GTY stateroom over me picking one was only $150 or so. Saving on a hotel and using points to fly. Call me budget girl!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, CruzerDeb said:

I’m also flying in the DAY OF the cruise instead of the day before.

My favorite rule to break depending on time of year and flight duration (nonstop is best for this, of course!)!

• Like 1

Unless I missed it, about what time does your flight land vs embarkation cutoff. My daughter did this once on a direct flight to Miami and was fine. Flight left at 5:30 AM landed in Miami at 9:00. She got an Uber, picked me and my wife up at the hotel before 10:00 AM and we were on the ship by 11:30. Of course, she went to bed that night about 7:30.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1