The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday April 14th, 2024

kazu

Today is International Moment of Laughter Day, National Dolphin Day, and National Ex-Spouse Day

Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind. -- Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

Meal Suggestion for today - Bean & Barley Soup
Drink of the Day - Gin Martini
Wine of the Day - Morandé 2019 Morandé Adventure Tirazis Syrah (Casablanca Valley)
Destination of the Day - Hiroshima, Japan 

Today in History: April 14,1865 Abraham Lincoln is shot and and mortally wounded by John Wilkes Booth

In 1828 Noah Webster’s 1st edition of the American Dictionary of the English language is published

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Cartagena Colombia eta 04-16

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island eta 04-16

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica eta 04-15

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Cobh, Ireland eta 04-17

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Cadiz, Spain, Sevilla eta 04-15

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island Azores Portugal eta 04-20

Volendam

Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica 10:00 - 18:00 

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera eta 04-16

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Durban, South Africa eta 4/15

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii eta 04-20

Westerdam

Kobe-Osaka, Kyoto, Japan 09:00 - 19:00

• Like 16
  • Thanks 29

Good morning.

Thank you Ann, Debbie,Dixie, Jacqui,Roy and Vanessa for your leading roles every day on the Daily.

It is sunny and 60°F here.

We had a lovely church service and I prayed for our care list and for my friends in Israel.

3 interesting days and quote.

I will pass on today's food and drink.

I hope everyone has a happy day.

God bless you all.

Graham.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

58 this AM with a high of 84 and sunny skies, starting tomorrow we will have a nice warming trend this week with temps in the high 80s with light winds and low humidity, great golf weather and probably a day at the beach.

Good selection of days but I have a sense that some won’t be celebrating ex-spouses day.

Very good quote.

The bean and barley soup sounds good.

Lets pray that things don’t escalate in the Middle East but there’s no doubt that Iran is the bad player in all of this.

Scottie Scheffler has a one shot lead heading to the final round of the Masters, things finally caught up with Tiger Woods as he shot 80 yesterday.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone from a beautiful sunny Boston.  Thanks for the daily report.  This morning the Boston Marathon runners will be blessed at mass hopefully keeping them safe in tomorrow’s event.  I’ll gladly celebrate laughter and dolphins but I don’t have an ex spouse so I’ll leave that to others.  I like the quote.  The meal and drink suggestions sound good, yes please!  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Praying for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  It's about 48 and clear right now.  Today will be mostly sunny and 82F.

Thanks Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the excellent fleet location maps.  Today we can enjoy Moments of Laughter and dolphins, but I know very few folks who enjoy an ex-spouse.  None here for me thank goodness!  Today I would like the bean and barley soup, but don't care for drinks like gin martinis, and doubt I'd like the wine (Syrah).   What a terrible day in 1865 when Abraham Lincoln was shot and killed.  A big day for dictionaries in 1828.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Prayers abound this morning for peace in the world, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still missing, and our military members on bases and at sea in the region.  Special prayers for DB, great nephew Alex's twins, friends Scott, Susan and Sandy.  Fervently praying for our friends here on the Daily, especially Tana and Vanessa @JazzyV, all who have lost loved ones and friends recently.  Hoping for improvement in pain relief, healing and that upcoming surgeries are successful.  Prayers also for the crew member who was lost at sea on the Rotterdam, and the ill crew member who was moved to Florida for treatment. 🙏🙏 Cheers for all celebrating special events and enjoying their cruises. 🥂🎉🎂🚢  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for posting our C&C lists each day.  Prayers for your situation everyday!

The port today is Hiroshima, Japan.  It was the port once before on Jan. 16, 2023.  I have not been to Hiroshima before and have no photos today.  Here is the link for your convenience in retrieving your own photos.

Hoping for better news for our world, and please everyone stay safe and keep well.🌎

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Gin Martini cocktail:

Ingredients:

2 1/2 oz. gin
1/2 oz. dry vermouth, or to taste
1 dash orange or aromatic bitters, optional
Lemon twist or 1 or 2 olives, for garnish

Directions:

Gather the ingredients.  Chill a cocktail glass.
In a mixing glass filled with ice cubes, combine 2 1/2 ounces gin, and 1/2 ounce vermouth, pouring more or less vermouth to your taste.
Stir for 30 seconds.
Strain into the chilled cocktail glass.
Add 1 dash orange or aromatic bitters, if desired.
Garnish with a lemon twist or 1 or 2 olives.

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 6.42.50 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 23

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Thanks for the maps.

Lots of rain for us today and thankfully the wind has died down.

Everyone needs to laugh, dolphins are great and no ex-spouses in this household.

Good quote.

The meal, drink and wine sound fine to me.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a peaceful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Since I have no photos of the port today let's enjoy the latest celebration tree in DD's foyer.  She's ready for Cinco de Mayo and a margarita!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

I just remembered that May 5th we will all be in Tampa going to DGD Morgan's graduation.  Definitely will be celebrating that day!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 6

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Since I have no photos of the port today let's enjoy the latest celebration tree in DD's foyer.  She's ready for Cinco de Mayo and a margarita!

I just remembered that May 5th we will all be in Tampa going to DGD Morgan's graduation.  Definitely will be celebrating that day!

Your daughter's tree and house looks amazing Sandi.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

RMLincoln’s DSIL now in hospice care

Passing of Cruzin Terri’s friend Anita (Mar 27), which she just learned about

Passing of Atexsix's (Bruno's) Dear Dad

Passing of puppycanducruise’s friend Amy at 46

JazzyV with R leg pain, numbness

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, on maximal oxygen

Mr. Boston’s friend Lauren with aggressive cancer, in hospice care

Kazu having foot pain

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage LAFFNVEGAS!

Welcome to the DailyORTravelGal & LambKnuckles

Cunnorl in Boston for her niece’s bridal shower, meeting family

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim getting a good report from the Neurologist

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

7 days for Kazu (Volendam Apr 21 to May 4) 13d The Atlantic Coast

7 days for VMax1700 (Nieuw Statendam Apr 21 to May 5) 14d Canary Island Allure

Vict0riann (Nieuw Statendam to Apr 21) 14d Bermuda, Brittany & The English Channel Expedition, LAFFNVEGAS (Norwegian Joy to Apr 21) 7d Bermuda from NY, Lobsternight (Koningsdam to April 27) 22d Solar Eclipse & Circle Hawaii, ORTravelGal (Rotterdam to May 4) 21d Atlantic Isles, Norway, Scotland, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), AncientWanderer (Westerdam to Apr 27) 14d Japan Discovery ?+ (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 16
  • Thanks 22

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for our maps! It is another exquisite morning. I will miss this weather, when Summer arrives. We really are having an extended Spring this year! It actually got a bit cool on the lanai last evening. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us.  I know if I miss a post, I can find out important info - thanks to you. Praying for the 22nd to bring you relief. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, a visit with my Sister & Brayden. Maybe some chores.

IMG_2703.jpeg.bc2790191976f9d9e182d540ea8e2949.jpeg

IMG_2709.jpeg.39c8145e04fe7056e931262fd5127dd4.jpeg

IMG_2710.jpeg.d791bd200b80a9cd91dc781b5747f556.jpeg

Praying for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers.

Terry, praying for Tana, the teenager, you and your families.

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Morandé 2019 Morandé Adventure Tirazis Syrah (Casablanca Valley)

This red sounds interesting, once my decoder ring broke the code!  A bit elusive, but I found a couple of places that sold it online. Prices start at $23.61.

Wine Enthusiast- 91

This structured but elegant Syrah is grown in a maritime-influenced climate. The nose is subtle, with light notes of salt, cranberry and black olive. The flavor intensity of spices and herbs match that of the fruit on the vigorous palate. Cherries and mulberries and a whisper of dark chocolate and bay leaf are backed by fine tannins and excellent acidity.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 3

Just a quick post as we have an early meal before being bussed to the sight of our Azamazing evening in Cochin, India. We had a full day of touring in sweltering heat and I’ll try and post pictures tomorrow as the internet is so slow today.

Sailed in this morning on Arabian Sea and will sail away at 5:00 PM tomorrow.

Thanks for the post. Bruce

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone!

We are going to have sunny skies and warm temperatures here in mid-Michigan today.  That makes me happy.  I'll gladly celebrate laughter, the best medicine!  Dolphins are great.  The only ex spouse here is Sue's and I think she celebrates the ex part of that relationship.  The only thing on the agenda today is cleaning out the garage and getting stuff to the curb for large item pick up tomorrow.  

It is so sad about the crew member who went overboard from Rotterdam.  I hope the crew member evacuated for medical reasons recovers quickly.  How awful for the rest of the crew.  

The bean and barley soup would be great on a cold rainy day.  I would probably skip it due to the carb count.  One bowl is double my allowance.  There is a good amount of fiber in the soup.  If you want more protein, add in some sausage.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/252413/bean-barley-soup/

beanandbarleysoup1.png.718eedf05fc880383f505d4c8ba80b56.png

This next recipe has all kinds of suggestions for types of beans you can use.  You can also add other veggies to the mix, cutting the carb count a bit.  It also calls for pancetta which adds a wonderful flavor to the mix.  https://streetsmartnutrition.com/great-northern-bean-soup-with-barley/

beanandbarleysoup2.thumb.jpg.b6beff010eb260fdd88c27c4984b100f.jpg

This last one is for the vegans in the family.  The avocado is a nice touch.   https://plantbasedonabudget.com/barley-and-bean-soup/

beanandbarleysoup3.thumb.jpg.ea26468f2b314d52f84b0355503d9b93.jpg

I hope this finds all of you well and wish you a wonderful day.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 20

Pretty nice day in north Jersey, high clouds and heading up to 70!  Slept 7 hrs so that should help!  

Laughter is the best medicine. Thank you all for posting cute memes, many make me laugh!  
Dolphins are such a treat to watch from cruise ships!  
I do like a traditional martini but haven’t had one in ages and I’m sure it’s not on today’s agenda. 

Today I’ll research lodging options near my brother’s location, prepping for his wife’s funeral, send that info to family.  DH will finish the calculations for 2024 estimated taxes so we can e-file the remainder of the 2023 taxes. 

Blessings sent out earlier… sad to read the events on Rotterdam. May we all find a smile and a laugh today!  Thank you all for being here, all the support and reminders that life is good🌈

I thought of Gerry @ger_77when I saw the crocheted blanket that was placed in my DSIL’s room for hers or our comfort for the long days and nights. ❤️

Maureen

• Like 30

Good morning!

My re- entry into the real world has been exhausting. I have about half of my luggage unpacked. My luggage forward arrived Friday and I shoved them in the office to deal with next week. The grands were so excited to see me it made me cry. I did get my taxes done and I owe a lot to both state and federal due to my DS estate disbursement. Molly has adjusted to being back with me. It is amazing how fast dogs get back to their routine. I had a great time on the cruise. I enjoyed my CC friends and I am so glad I had someone I knew I could meet before the cruise started. Thanks to Sandy’s Antartica pics I booked an expedition on Silver Seas for the end of December. 

A quick update on Murphy. She has had one hospitalization since her discharge for extra fluid in her lungs. It was a short stay and she is now on a diuretic. She continues to get stronger but has a long road ahead of her. 

I will catch up on the daily slowly. Prayers or all in need. Have a great day. 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

The tradition in my family is to make barley and mushroom soup, or lentil soup, not to combine two unrelated ideas, but a cholent would contain barley and beans. I think that a Gin Martini is simply a Martini, in contrast to any kind of pseudotini. For a Syrah, the 2022 from Atwater Vineyards, $45.

hunter-gatherer.thumb.jpg.3b2f80b277658ea1a8c75342a014e7d4.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Happy Sunday. Thanks for the daily and fleet reports. 

Sunny today. High in the 70s. Today I will be doing taxes and hope to get outside for a bit. Yesterday our next-door neighbor who is the neighborhood troublemaker (it seems that anyone who moves next door to him, eventually moves) called the police on my sister and I. He accused us of cutting branches off of his trees and placing the branches next to his mailbox. We have not down this and he has been accusing us of this for the past several years. Even though legally we can trim any of his trees hanging onto our property, we don't because he becomes angry and aggressive. Last year, my sister was mowing the grass, and he came out of his house yelling at her and threatening her with physical violence. Police were called and nothing was done. We now have a security system, and I will be purchasing additional cameras. We are documenting everything. We may have to move. I work from home, and I am beginning to not feel safe in my home anymore. we are considering the logistics of a move, whether to another area here in PA or we have been thinking about retiring to Vermont. We shall see. 

Anyway, enough about that. 

Bon Voyage to @LAFFNVEGAS

TIME TO CRUISE_BON VOYAGE post card | Zazzle

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Don't Bother These Cats Who Are Enjoying Their Sunday (Memes) | Sunday ...

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1