The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday April 17th, 2024

kazu

Today is Blah! Blah! Blah! Day, Ellis Island Family History Day, and Ford Mustang Day

Wrong life cannot be lived rightly. - Theodor W. Adorno

Meal Suggestion for today - Light Rhubarb Chai Cream Pie
Drink of the Day - Applejack Sour
Wine of the Day - Powell & Son Barossa Rhone Blend 
Destination of the Day - Taormina, Italy

Today in History:
1492 Christopher Columbus signs a contract with the Spanish monarchs to find the "Indies" with the stated goal of converting people to Catholicism. This promises him 10% of all riches found, and the governorship of any lands encountered.
1982 Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau and Queen Elizabeth II sign 'Proclamation of the Constitution Act', establishes Charter of Rights and Freedoms as part of the country’s new Constitution

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Panama Canal 06:00 - 06:00 

Koningsdam

Nawiliwili, Lihue, Kauai Island Hawaii 08:00 - 18:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Huatulco, La Crucecita, Mexico Riviera 10:00 - 18:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Cobh, Cork, Ireland 11:00 - 20:00 

Oosterdam

Cartagena Spain, Murcia 08:00 - 17:00 

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island Azores Portugal eta 04-20

Volendam

Cartagena Colombia 11:00 - 17:00 

Zaandam

Mazatlan, Mexico  0800-1700

Zuiderdam

Cape Town, South Africa 08:00 - 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii eta 04-20

Westerdam

Sokcho, Korea 10:00 - 22:00

• Like 18
  • Thanks 24

Today’s Care List:

RMLincoln’s DSIL in hospice care

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with untreated HTN and brain swelling

Passing of Atexsix's (Bruno's) Dear Dad 4/12

Passing of puppycanducruise’s friend Amy at 46

Passing of Mr. Boston’s friend Lauren 4/15

Rotterdam crew member #2 medically disembarked in Bermuda

JazzyV with R leg pain, numbness

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, on maximal oxygen

StLouisCruisers’ twin Linda recovering from rotator cuff surgery

Nickelpenny with leg numbness and pain

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Gsel Welcome to the Daily!

Marshhawk getting some work hours

Cruzin Terri having a beneficial meeting with the Dementia Practitioner

Kochleffel’s excellent feedback on his presentation

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for Kazu (Volendam Apr 21 to May 4) 13d The Atlantic Coast

4 days for VMax1700 (Nieuw Statendam Apr 21 to May 5) 14d Canary Island Allure

5 days for Summer slope (Disney Wish Apr 22 to Apr 26) 4d Bahamian cruised with DGS & his parents

Vict0riann (Nieuw Statendam to Apr 21) 14d Bermuda, Brittany & The English Channel Expedition, LAFFNVEGAS (Norwegian Joy to Apr 21) 7d Bermuda from NY, Lobsternight (Koningsdam to April 27) 22d Solar Eclipse & Circle Hawaii, ORTravelGal (Rotterdam to May 4) 21d Atlantic Isles, Norway, Scotland, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), AncientWanderer (Westerdam to Apr 27) 14d Japan Discovery + (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 28

Posted (edited)

Not sure about celebrating Blah! Blah! but someone will let us know why we should.

Pie for a meal - yes please! Would try the wine, pass on the drink now that I know what it is, not been to the port; I'll check back to see the pictures I'm sure others will post. I did go to Messina Nov 2023 - will share pictures later.

Big days in history. 

2 MRIs this morning then a full day of work. Nothing exciting.

Beautiful picture @seagarsmoker

Not even 5am yet & it's already 72° - ugh. Headed to cloudy 84°.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240417_045310.thumb.jpg.7b0f1dabeee118f46053ccdc31f0512a.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

65 this morning with another great day coming up with sunny skies and a high of 86.

Interesting selection of days but I was a Camaro guy, not Mustangs and not sure what blah blah blah day is about.

The quote is spot on.

I’ve never have had rhubarb so I’ll pass on the pie.

We have been to Taormina with a short ride from Messina and then a great walking tour including the Greek Theater and spectacular views of Mount Etna.

We had a super meal last night at Bonefish Grill, I had my favorite, grilled Mahi-Mahi with a lemon/butter sauce.

NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs start in a couple of days, it’s hockey at its best. A couple of weeks ago I felt great about my Tampa Bay Lightning but once they clinched a playoff spot they have been spinning their wheels.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 28

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

Another warm day here in South Carolina. It's 66 degrees right now with a forecasted high of 91 this afternoon. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! 🙂 

20231105_052618.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Happy Wednesday!

Applejack Sour cocktail:

2 ounces Laird’s Applejack brandy
1/4 ounce maple syrup
3–4 dashes black walnut or Angostura bitters
1 orange peel
1 Cinnamon stick

In a mixing glass, combine maple syrup, bitters, and brandy. Fill glass halfway with ice, then stir vigorously about a dozen times.
Strain into an old-fashioned glass over a giant ice cube.
Squeeze/twist orange peel over the drink to extract oils, rub peel around the rim of the glass, and add to the cocktail.
Garnish with cinnamon stick.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 6.14.11 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 21

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon from a cloudy and cold 44°F North East England.

Thank you for all of today's various lists.

3 important days and true quote.

Prayers for the wellbeing of everyone on the care list.

Today would have been Pauline's late mam's 102nd birthday.

I hope everyone is safe and well and looking forward to a nice day.

Screenshot_20240417_110909.jpg

Screenshot_20240417_112528.jpg

Screenshot_20240417_110841.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.  Thanks for the Report.

It's raining here today, that's good for the flowers.

Love mustangs, wish I had one.

Interesting quote.

Love rhubarb pie!  Looking forward to seeing the recipes.  My rhubarb is coming up in the garden, but it's not big enough to pick yet.  I'll pass on the drink and hope the wine is tasty.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a good day everyone.  Stay safe.

The daffodils are blooming, here's a picture I took yesterday when it was sunny.

R0010345.JPG

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Sorry everyone.  I haven’t been on a whole lot and apologize to all for any losses, worries or concerns I have missed.

I am just too stressed and depressed.  The foot has not become less painful and I was told to get into the doctor yesterday.  She has prescribed some stuff but very concerned and I am to see her tomorrow morning first thing.  At that time, I will be advised if I can go on the cruise or not.  I’m supposed to be leaving Friday.  Had no heart to pack any further yesterday. 

To say I am depressed is an understatement.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 33

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sorry everyone.  I haven’t been on a whole lot and apologize to all for any losses, worries or concerns I have missed.

I am just too stressed and depressed.  The foot has not become less painful and I was told to get into the doctor yesterday.  She has prescribed some stuff but very concerned and I am to see her tomorrow morning first thing.  At that time, I will be advised if I can go on the cruise or not.  I’m supposed to be leaving Friday.  Had no heart to pack any further yesterday. 

To day I am depressed is an understatement.  

Hoping your foot gets better as does your depression.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

We were in Messina Nov 7, 2023 on the NS. We did a Godfather tour which was interesting and beautiful, drove the Amalfi Coast and went to Pompeii and Positano. I've shared those pictures so here are a few of the port of Messina as seen from our balcony.

20240417_053025.thumb.jpg.8607454902e64bba1cad360aa2973307.jpg

20240417_053230.thumb.jpg.cc8138708005b9fce0ba495c889c8150.jpg

20240417_053049.thumb.jpg.af7df4f2530fe83a600fe9b03405e3af.jpg

20240417_053304.thumb.jpg.35727d8b2262c7150e4626b8fb61d37d.jpg

20240417_053250.thumb.jpg.b622e6dc09f917a01b8ccbbec7078985.jpg

We had company

20240417_053211.thumb.jpg.16335beb069b04c9c1b10d5f8053968f.jpg

20240417_053123.thumb.jpg.00c5ce97d89a08c2958867c63c27db7a.jpg

20240417_053155.thumb.jpg.37825cebf948f445848c7ebdc6b642a9.jpg

Bye bye Messina

20240417_053106.thumb.jpg.08171343e8a4c911d3efc9343226aadb.jpg

Messina was port #7 on our itinerary.

20240417_052709.thumb.jpg.339c02b43fb18155065aca2d9fc18158.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

@kazu, so sorry for your difficulties both physical and with anguish.   Prayers that you can go on the cruise and healing starts soon.

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning friends!  It's 61 this morning so a little warm in the house.  The high today will be 83 with more clouds than sun.  We had our main floor and lower level air conditioning units serviced yesterday so I suppose we're ready for this hot spell

Unfortunately I found an email this morning from our Pod captain who reported that one of our neighbors on the next street has passed away and asking for prayers for her.  I thought she lived with her adult disabled son but know virtually nothing about her since she kept very much to herself these past 10 or more years.  Our Pod captain noticed mail piling up and contacted close neighbors but they hadn't seen her recently.  Someone called the Sheriff who sent three (!) deputies over for a wellness check and they found her.  I'm assuming her son no longer lives with her but what a sad situation.  Something none of us would want happening to our family member.

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Daily and Fleet Report and the fleet location maps for us each day.  I remember celebrating Blah, Blah, Blah day before but can't remember what I did for it.  I can support Ellis Island Family History day, and Ford Mustangs are cool but like @MISTER 67 I was a Camaro girl.  I can't see me trying the cream pie recipes or the cocktail, and I'd bet the wine is red.  Correct me if I'm wrong Ann @cat shepard!   Looks like Christopher Columbus was making a deal on this date in 1492.  I didn't know Canada was getting a new Constitution in 1982.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for posting F&B reports today.

Prayers for all here on the Daily with pain and suffering and it seems top of the list today will be Jacqui @kazu who is having such an awful time with foot pain.  Jacqui, I hope something can be done to help you so that you can go on this much needed cruise!  Also for Tana, Vanessa @JazzyV, and Annie @marshhawk who I just read had a fall and injured her leg and ankle.  Many more of you have medical issues and family/friends in the hospital or hospice care.  Several have lost family and friends this week, too.  Prayers for all of you!!🙏  I also want to include prayers for DB, twin Linda after surgery, great nephew Alex's twin boys, friends Scott, Susan and Sandy.  Not to forget Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held and our military in the region. 🙏

Three cheers to all the cruisers, and those of you planning on cruising very soon.  Also to those with birthdays and anniversaries to celebrate!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for continuing to supply us with updated lists each day through all your pain and fatigue.

The port today, Taormina Italy, may be new to some of you but the Daily has provided photos of it four times already.  Sept. 14, 2021, May 15, 2022, Sept. 17, 2023 and February 11, 2024!  I'll give out all the links for your convenience in grabbing your photos.  If you're sick of seeing mine, just pass on by!  LOL!

Last night DS Linda said she wasn't having too much pain but was exhausted and going to bed early.  I hope she has a quick recovery and think I'll send her a cute get well card today.

Well, I hope for better news for everyone especially Jacqui.  Please stay safe and keep well!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
clarification
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 24

Good Wednesday morning. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports.

Cloudy with some rain today. Somewhat busy day today. Getting my hair done this morning and then seeing clients all afternoon. Looks like the grass needs cutting again so that will be on my to-do list for this weekend. 

@kazu, I am praying that your foot is okay, and you can go on your cruise. 

Thinking of all on the care list.

Celebrating with all who are celebrating.

Have a safe and healthy day. 

You're Halfway There! | Happy wednesday, Cute cat breeds, Work humor

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  Another beautiful morning here, 46F and sunny at the moment.  Thanks for our daily digest.  A nice variety of days to ponder, I’ll focus on Ellis Island as some of my ancestors arrived there from Poland.  We did the hospital tour there which was eerily fantastic, it was the largest hospital in the US back in the day.  Interesting quote.  I’ll pass on both the meal and the drink, I don’t like cooked rhubarb but I like it fresh picked.  We were in today’s port in September, it was beautiful but packed to the gills with tourists like me.  Prayers for those on our prayer list and for @kazu, I hope your foot gets better.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for our maps. Especially your alternative ones!  Another lovely morning here. I hope this weather lasts for my niece’s visit, it really is perfect. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Do you have the time for your surgery yet? I pray that the last few days fly by for you. 

Gym, Bindi walks, manicure, indoor & outdoor chores. I am hoping this is the last layer of pollen on the outdoor furniture this year. 

IMG_2720.jpeg.9569756f531fa09c65b052845ce3c102.jpeg

IMG_2722.jpeg.21afb6a90b03be87a975adc7c7014a6c.jpeg

IMG_2718.jpeg.fb7d0a3ffd647c24b2fce710c943ed59.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers. 

Bruno sending hugs. 

Terry, prayers for Tana, her son, you & your families. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Powell & Son Barossa Rhone Blend

This Rhône red (you were right, Sandi) blend sounds perfect for me. Hahn GSM is my current favorite, but I am always checking out the competition. It has a different “M” grape than the traditional Rhône blend, so it will be interesting. A decent number of distributors with prices starting at $24.99.

Vintner’s notes

The Barossa Valley Grenache Shiraz Mataro combines all three of the great Rhone red varieties, harmonising the unique attributes of each variety into a complete wine. The blend is predominantly Grenache (approximately two thirds – vintage dependent) from mature Barossa Valley Grenache bush vines, with Shiraz and Mataro making up the balance. The parcels are matured for 15 months in 2,300 litre French oak foudres prior to blending and bottling. As the dominant component, Grenache offers powerful aromas of red fruits, kirsch and black cherries, complemented by mincemeat, leather, game and heavy spices from the Shiraz and Mataro influences.

“The Barossa Valley Grenache Shiraz Mataro is intense in its perfumed aromas of cherry liqueur and blackberry compote, with notes of spice and anise. The palate is voluptuous and supple, with the Grenache component shining through. Flavours of dark fruits predominate with velvety tannins providing a backbone to carry the flavours through to the finish.”

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, kazu said:

To say I am depressed is an understatement.  

Good grief, Jacqui! Praying the doctor can help. Fast.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

It is a rainy day here in mid-Michigan, but that is good as we are really looking forward to the flowers brought by the showers.  Nothing much on the agenda today.   I'm going to the gym, but not water fitness.  The instructor I like least teaches on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  One day of her is enough.  She is a lovely person, but thinks she is teaching interpretive dance, not water aerobics.  

@kazu Jacqui, I am so sorry to hear the foot is not responding and is so painful.  I hope the doctor can do something that helps.  Your cruise is an easy one where you could just relax on board most of the time.  

So, pie for dinner!  Why not?  I would probably use the no sugar yogurt instead of the fat free version.  Not sure about the chai tea.  I'd have to think about that.  https://www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com/light-rhubarb-chai-cream-pie/

rhubarbcreampie1.thumb.jpg.0a1fd3a1ddcc35a01916891a5d15df36.jpg

This next one is a little different.  It has a fruit filling, a whipped cream filling, and is topped with a rhubarb lattice.  https://www.sailingthebakery.com/home/2017/6/1/poached-rhubarb-cream-pie

rhubarbcreampie2.thumb.jpg.b21113b1ebed564b6b7e076138eb34e4.jpg

Here is one more rhubarb cream pie recipe.  https://www.thecreativebite.com/rhubarb-custard-pie/

rhubarbcreampie3.thumb.jpg.e03d626d677b2cff4ed74a4e51c388c7.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 14