GET OFF SHIP ON ISLAND?

Hello.   We are booked for our yearly Aruba trip for august 16-26.  Carnival has a ship going to aruba and docking on August 14th.  I can get two extra nights at the hotel in Aruba.  My question is, am I allowed to get off the ship and not end the cruise where she originated from and just fly back home into Miami (same city as I depart on the Celebration) ?  Has anybody done this and if so, will there be any problems on getting home from Aruba to Miami or is there any fees/taxes we need to know or any advice you can give us on this?  We really would love to combine a cruise and land trip vacation this year.  I called Carnival they said this is not allowed, but then, what happens to those who take ill or have family emergencies and need to leave the ship and fly off on an island?  We really appreciate any advice you can give us, thank you all.

You will have customs issues in Aruba and the US and will probably need to work with the US Embassy in Aruba to get all that sorted out. I'm not sure how understanding they'll be when you tell them you went AWOL from your cruise on purpose because you found a cheap hotel in Aruba.

Cruises are not meant to be one-way transportation. If you want that, book a flight to Aruba.

• Like 9

We have a wedding to go to on august 18th there.  There is no such thing as a cheap hotel, the Marriott cost us over 550 a night.  Why the rudeness people?  We go on 2-3 cruises a year but due to health issue I can't travel until I recooperate which will be around the end of June and it be a way for us to get back to cruising and combining a cruise and our aruba trip we think be nice.

Edited by Cruisegirl6
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

You wanted advice, you got it. If you don't want answers that don't meet your personal opinion, or ideas, don't ask the question. Yes, you think it would be nice but unfortunately, it's not allowed. Carnival gave you your answer, and has been said already, you don't fit the possible exceptions.

• Like 15

29 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

We have a wedding to go to on august 18th there.  There is no such thing as a cheap hotel, the Marriott cost us over 550 a night.  Why the rudeness people?  We go on 2-3 cruises a year but due to health issue I can't travel until I recooperate which will be around the end of June and it be a way for us to get back to cruising and combining a cruise and our aruba trip we think be nice.

You've already got your answer directly from Carnival so I am not sure why you're asking here expecting a different answer. It's not just Carnival or us being mean, Aruba as a sovereign nation has the right to require visitors follow the proper procedures to enter their country.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Since the cruise line has already told you no, and if you decide to do it on your own, not only will you encounter immigration issues, you can also be banned by the cruise line.  If it were me, I wouldn't risk it.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

What are you going to do when the stop in Aruba is cancelled because of high winds, or any other myriad of reasons that might cause you to miss the stop?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I just got approval with Celebrity!  Thank you.

Really?

The only Celebrity ship calling Aruba is the Beyond.  For your August 18 Aruba wedding, that means the August 10 departure from Ft Lauderdale, arrives Aruba on 8/13, and returns to Ft Lauderdale on 8/18.

I hope the fare for the eight night cruise plus the extra fees for the the downline debarkation is worth.

How do you plan to get home from Aruba?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Really?

The only Celebrity ship calling Aruba is the Beyond.  For your August 18 Aruba wedding, that means the August 10 departure from Ft Lauderdale, arrives Aruba on 8/13, and returns to Ft Lauderdale on 8/18.

I hope the fare for the eight night cruise plus the extra fees for the the downline debarkation is worth.

How do you plan to get home from Aruba?

I think you busted the story.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

We have a wedding to go to on august 18th there.  There is no such thing as a cheap hotel, the Marriott cost us over 550 a night. 

There are plenty of options for August under $300/night, some even for less than $100/night.

• Like 1

So an allegedly true story from the ill-fated Panorama cruise last November when the azipod failed...... The BRIDE and GROOM were on the ship planning a PV wedding. Everyone else flew down. The plan was to get off the ship while in port, get married in a ceremony attended by all the others, and the re-board for the rest of the cruise. Obviously nothing 'illegal', just risky as heck. We know how that turned out.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, jsglow said:

So an allegedly true story from the ill-fated Panorama cruise last November when the azipod failed...... The BRIDE and GROOM were on the ship planning a PV wedding. Everyone else flew down. The plan was to get off the ship while in port, get married in a ceremony attended by all the others, and the re-board for the rest of the cruise. Obviously nothing 'illegal', just risky as heck. We know how that turned out.

Yes! That happened on our cruise 9 years ago. We were supposed to go to St. Thomas, if I remember correctly (so don't hold me to that), but we got diverted due to bad weather. We ended up going to DR, when Amber Cove hadn't even officially opened. The shops were still empty. But they had a few people on the ship, and planned on doing the wedding with everyone else who flew down to St. Thomas! We've said it so many times, don't ever count on a cruise to get you where you want to go.

• Like 4

On 2/7/2024 at 1:14 PM, mz-s said:

What are you going to do when the stop in Aruba is cancelled because of high winds, or any other myriad of reasons that might cause you to miss the stop?

This is the best reason for not planning something like this and other stories in the thread reinforce it. No port is guaranteed. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

This is the best reason for not planning something like this and other stories in the thread reinforce it. No port is guaranteed. 

Ignorance is bliss.  

My wife and I got married 25 years ago at a Carnival port stop in St. Thomas. It was all prearranged. It never occurred to us that we could miss the port. 25 years later I’m well aware many ports get skipped because of bad weather, or other circumstances. I wouldn’t take that chance today. 

• Like 7

Her question does intrigue me. If a person did not intend to do this and just missed the ship as so many do. I suspect that this would mean a guided exit from the island by authorities and a flight home at your own expense, but could a person get away with just booking a hotel and a flight home in a few days? Is there some requirement for reporting your missing of the ship? I know the ship reports you, but I doubt that means an APB goes out for you. Anyone have any real experience in missing the ship unintentionally with a passport in hand? Did it feel like you could have booked a room and stayed a few days? 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AllgoodOnTheRoad said:

Her question does intrigue me. If a person did not intend to do this and just missed the ship as so many do. I suspect that this would mean a guided exit from the island by authorities and a flight home at your own expense, but could a person get away with just booking a hotel and a flight home in a few days? Is there some requirement for reporting your missing of the ship? I know the ship reports you, but I doubt that means an APB goes out for you. Anyone have any real experience in missing the ship unintentionally with a passport in hand? Did it feel like you could have booked a room and stayed a few days? 

Do you think the officials in Aruba will believe it was a mistake when you roll up to the embassy with all your luggage and a 3-night hotel stay already booked?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5