Carnival loyalty means nothing anymore

vacalovers

I know there have been a lot of changes to what is offered from days past to now but now it seems the people that are impacted the most are those that have been loyal to carnival.  As diamond members with over 300 sea days it was the small "extras" that had us returning for 3-4 cruises every year. We don't take short cruises mainly 6 nights or greater. On our current 10 night European cruise every extra was basically disregarded. Embarkation was a disaster as only suites had priority. I took that with a grain of salt as it was only 15 min additional wait. But this cruise has multiple ports that require tenders and that priority is also only reserved to suites. We stay in balcony rooms as I know that is a added expense but something we enjoy we just aren't in the room enough to justify the added cost of the suite.  Last night we had to line up to get our tender tickets however our excursion yesterday took us past the start of the ticket distribution. We ended up with group 19 that was scheduled to be off around 10 am. Again not the worst thing as our privately booked tour was scheduled for 11am however our group wasn't called until 1230 due to congestion at the port. So we missed our excursion. When you speak with guest services the statement is well we have many diamonds so we can provide priority????? Am I wrong in thinking there is a way to do it with group numbers for priority and standard groups? Suites which we met a few that is their 1st cruise getting separate tickets but those that choose to continually provide repeat business get nothing. Carnival has lost my business I will now dip my toes with other lines and start over on loyalty since there is obviously no benefits provided with carnival. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, vacalovers said:

I know there have been a lot of changes to what is offered from days past to now but now it seems the people that are impacted the most are those that have been loyal to carnival.  As diamond members with over 300 sea days it was the small "extras" that had us returning for 3-4 cruises every year. We don't take short cruises mainly 6 nights or greater. On our current 10 night European cruise every extra was basically disregarded. Embarkation was a disaster as only suites had priority. I took that with a grain of salt as it was only 15 min additional wait. But this cruise has multiple ports that require tenders and that priority is also only reserved to suites. We stay in balcony rooms as I know that is a added expense but something we enjoy we just aren't in the room enough to justify the added cost of the suite.  Last night we had to line up to get our tender tickets however our excursion yesterday took us past the start of the ticket distribution. We ended up with group 19 that was scheduled to be off around 10 am. Again not the worst thing as our privately booked tour was scheduled for 11am however our group wasn't called until 1230 due to congestion at the port. So we missed our excursion. When you speak with guest services the statement is well we have many diamonds so we can provide priority????? Am I wrong in thinking there is a way to do it with group numbers for priority and standard groups? Suites which we met a few that is their 1st cruise getting separate tickets but those that choose to continually provide repeat business get nothing. Carnival has lost my business I will now dip my toes with other lines and start over on loyalty since there is obviously no benefits provided with carnival. 

You do what you think is best for you but make sure you go to the other cruise line forums to see what is happening with the competitors.  You'll find complaints on every forum.  None of them are all rainbows and puppies.

Best wishes.

• Like 13

So you were loyal to Carnival for those "small extras"?  Why?  Are small things that important?  Next thing you are going to talk about are your AARP gift cards, cash back credit cards and airline miles.   Carnival the Corporation has you, the mouse,  chasing after the cheese in their maze, voluntarily.  Don't get upset when you come to the dead end and there is no cheese.

• Haha 3

I'd argue that loyalty to a corporation never meant anything. Those "small extras" weren't and aren't worth much if not anything at all and are only designed to keep you spending with them. The value of loyalty rests in favor of the company alone.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Totally understand the issue.  The current benefits being offered have little cost to CCL.  The cost of, a bottle of water, a pin, a drink, a chocolate delight, a VIFP gift are small based on volume purchasing.  The benefits I think make the program are being able to leave my bags in my room on embarkation day, priority check-in (however less important since the COVID scheduling change), priority water shuttle.  I can't wait to see the updated benefits which should be released soon based on JH statement a few months ago.  I understand CCL can make changes without notice and often suspend VIFP benefits for cruises greater than 7 days since these cruises often have a large number of past cruises that have high program status.  I think the future program should take this type of situation into account and will add layers and offer benefits that may reduce the likelihood of this issue occurring.  Only time will tell.          

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I thought that when there are going to be large numbers of Diamonds on a cruise, they let you know ahead of time that some of the perks will be unavailable. 

Very true. If you *really* want to feel like royalty (platinum, 30 cruises) go on the smaller more obscure cruses (Elation out of Jax, etc.) and the perks may still be there. I took the maiden voyage of the Vista years ago, and literally you couldn't swing a (fill in the blank) without hitting a Plat/Diamond cruiser; CCL had invited us all with a special rate, but - if everyone's "above average...?"

• Like 2

The extras on carnival (I’m platinum) really add at to a nothing burger. My Diamond status on Royal I got 4 alcoholic drinks a day off myself my wife and  4 non alcoholic drinks for the my kids under 18 who are linking to me when I turned platinum. Two free pictures one for me and my wife and each kid got $25 to arcade when spending $50 ( gee thanks!). The lounge was also a noce perk to do some work and get food - chocolate covered strawberries !  Cannot wait for 11 day cruise - 44 drinks to be served to carnivals one drink and some water. Laundry is no included but nothing comes back the same color anyways.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, vacalovers said:

I know there have been a lot of changes to what is offered from days past to now but now it seems the people that are impacted the most are those that have been loyal to carnival.  As diamond members with over 300 sea days it was the small "extras" that had us returning for 3-4 cruises every year. We don't take short cruises mainly 6 nights or greater. On our current 10 night European cruise every extra was basically disregarded. Embarkation was a disaster as only suites had priority. I took that with a grain of salt as it was only 15 min additional wait. But this cruise has multiple ports that require tenders and that priority is also only reserved to suites. We stay in balcony rooms as I know that is an added expense but something we enjoy we just aren't in the room enough to justify the added cost of the suite.  Last night we had to line up to get our tender tickets however our excursion yesterday took us past the start of the ticket distribution. We ended up with group 19 that was scheduled to be off around 10 am. Again not the worst thing as our privately booked tour was scheduled for 11am however our group wasn't called until 1230 due to congestion at the port. So we missed our excursion. When you speak with guest services the statement is well we have many diamonds so we can provide priority????? Am I wrong in thinking there is a way to do it with group numbers for priority and standard groups? Suites which we met a few that is their 1st cruise getting separate tickets but those that choose to continually provide repeat business get nothing. Carnival has lost my business I will now dip my toes with other lines and start over on loyalty since there is obviously no benefits provided with carnival. 

Sounds like there was a greater issue at that port if tenders were that late departing for any guests. How were the other ports? You were late requesting a ticket. If priority were given based on loyalty and over half the ship would qualify, you could still be after more than half the ship. Presumably a large number of non loyal had ship excursions giving them priority so that is another large group elevated to the front.

I understand people thinking priority in anything is the greatest perk around but when everyone has priority, no one has priority. I would prefer to see perks designed to give a benefit to a select group which does not negatively impact less elite groups. If 75% have priority, the other folk don’t have a chance and will not come back. Loyalty perks are nice incentives if that is what incentivizes people, but they can be discounts, gifts, dinner with the captain, whatever. They have a small effect on everyone else and their enjoyment of the cruise.

To me, it is enough of a perk that I can afford to cruise in an inside or small balcony once a year.

• Like 2

I think the major issue was that you booked a private excursion.  As a result, you were at the mercy of all those who booked through Carnival, as they got priority tendering.  While private tours are usually less expensive, (and sometimes less crowded than CCL excursions) you are not guaranteed getting to the private tour on time - or getting back in time to make the departure time of the ship.  BTW - what port was this?

• Like 3

to-you.gif

Plenty of us still feel they have great loyalty and great experiences with CCL. Maybe don't presume to speak for everyone as if your experience is the only one that matters or counts??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We booked a 10 night Journeys cruise for 2026 and got an email from Carnival the next day advising that there will be no extra Platinum/Diamond benefits available on the cruise, other than the 48 hour advance check in (16 days) prior vs 14 for other VIFP members.  All rooms ready at 130pm.  I had heard that was the case with all Journeys cruises now. 

46 minutes ago, BenjiRodney said:

We booked a 10 night Journeys cruise for 2026 and got an email from Carnival the next day advising that there will be no extra Platinum/Diamond benefits available on the cruise, other than the 48 hour advance check in (16 days) prior vs 14 for other VIFP members.  All rooms ready at 130pm.  I had heard that was the case with all Journeys cruises now. 

For the most part, yes. Due to the fact of the high numbers of diamond/plat

Edited by UPNYGuy

55 minutes ago, BenjiRodney said:

It makes sense when you think about it. One of the reasons I kinda like B2B is the mix of passengers onboard. On Journeys, we're all old and like to eat dinner right at 5pm, exactly!

2 minutes ago, geovet said:

If there are a lot of d&p, do they still offer laundry perk?

Absolutely. But sometimes turnaround is 2 days.

Edited by jsglow

We sail for the cruise too, but the perks are an added benefit for brand loyalty. The priority water shuttle benefit is one of the better benefits in a thin benefit program.  It appears to me that the program is working if a ship has a large number of P & D past guests.  However, if the number of P & D warrants the need to remove loyalty benefits that is an anti-loyalty program.  Loyalty programs are to induce repetitive customer tractions/purchases, maybe CCL should have alternative benefits for these cruises.     

• Like 1

Did they let you know upfront?

I don't have any kind of loyalty status so sometimes spend extra on aCarnival excursion or FTTF to make the most out of a day in a tender port.  But that's only possible with prior notice.

I can understand you being very disappointed if you didn't find out in time to adjust your plans.

I'm always amazed some get to Diamond without knowing how the system works.

All loyalty programs are just marketing. Nothing is earned or owed and it all can disappear with or without notice.

• Like 13

21 hours ago, clairebearinaus said:

Did they let you know upfront?

I don't have any kind of loyalty status so sometimes spend extra on aCarnival excursion or FTTF to make the most out of a day in a tender port.  But that's only possible with prior notice.

I can understand you being very disappointed if you didn't find out in time to adjust your plans.

They likely did.  They always send out emails explaining why priority boarding is suspended.  It happens on every longer cruise and the majority of European cruises.

• Like 2