It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

I had to go to Facebook and read some of the comments. OMG, People are acting like it is the end of the world! "Class" is really coming through in some of those posts. You know, I used to be opposed to cruising but my husband "forced me" to go on one back in 2012 by getting it after final payment. That is all it took! I was hooked! He then suggested the Summit on Celebrity and I remember thinking this was a line full of snobs based on the comments here but it was a nice itinerary and snobs would not stop me from cruising. I am glad I didn't pay attention to the snarky comments of the "Experts on Dress Code" because I had a fantastic cruise and my signature shows what we like.

Today again, those long time cruisers, and those that post often here are letting the same "I am above everyone attitude" come through their posts on this thread. I find this so entertaining but those cruising for the first time on Celebrity might find it off putting, just like I did a few years ago.

I say that if attire will make you lose sleep (someone's comment from facebook) then your priorities are so wrong. Instead of continuing posting here, go and spend your money somewhere else where you can play pretend with everyone else.

There is more drama here than in a Mexican Telenovela! I think the drama here beats the drama we had during the update of the Beverage Packages!

So good to see a sensible reply. People get so wound up about what is a small change that actually does not make any difference to you if you would like to wear formal wear. I must say it really helps people flying to their cruise with a limited weight limit.

Maybe people need to spend some time in a children's hospital just to put things into perspective....

Things made or proposed by mankind always change & we always pray for the best .

I can tell you from our Recent Oct 3 ,2015 cruise from San Diego to Sydney Australia on Holland America Noordam .that formal nights are becoming more relaxed from the dress code standards of yester year . We saw those in sweaters ,those with jackets & no ties ie . it was definitely not a saw eye experience . People blended in very nicely ;)

Thinking it through ,there are the newer upcoming generations who want a more casual attire & all the cruise lines are marketing to attract the replacement younger crowds to fill their ships vs us older generations (we have 68 cruises behind us & up in our 70s) . This is good business & smart marketing by the cruise lines ,imo;)

We are flexible & thus can go either way with regards to dress codes. When we do our next (5th ) Alaska cruise with Celebrity next May ,we want a more casual elegant experience with dragging less clothes to the great land ;as we will be doing a land portion on our own after the cruise ;). We care less about impressing ;but ,more about comfort & ease of trans porting our luggage in & out of airports . Thus ,the less clothes we need to take imo ,the better :D

We hope that this post is not offensive to any one about thisd topic & it is our feelings :)

While it's clearly an issue about which some people have strong opinions in both - all, really - directions, I find it interesting that the poll that was posted earlier this week shows that, in fact, even among Celebrity's most voluble audience here at CC, it's not particularly divisive at all. At the moment (and consistently snce it was posted), 73% of respondents are either in favor of or indifferent to the changes. From a commercial point of view, that's practically hitting it out of the park. Demographics change, and companies change to serve them.

Don't assume that CC polls are necessarily representative of X clientele.

In May, we sailed on the Eclipse out of Southampton to Norway. The average age was probably 65+. Brits predominated. Many of the oldest clearly enjoyed the formal nights and dressing up properly.

I know that many octogenarians are internet savvy, but many are not, and there is generally an inverse correlation between age and internet use.

I suspect that many of those on the Eclipse will turn up with full formal dress unaware of any change, and ignoring it if they are aware.

Stuart

Edited by Wiltonian

even though I am disappointed with the change, my wife and I will still dress formal for those formal nights. and since are we trying select dining for the first time, I would hope that they would seat us with like minded individuals. we are on a Dec 5th sailing and it will be interesting to see the effect of the change. we have seen the pics of what is considered chic. and. well. this 60yr old manbod just isn't going to look like that no matter what I wear

Just received my email from Celebrity UK.

Evening Chic is your night to shine and will be featured once on cruises 6 nights or fewer and twice on cruises 7 nights or longer.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress

• Skirt, trousers or smart jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Trousers or smart jeans with a shirt or sweater

• Optional jacket or blazer

No mention of designer, just smart jeans.

Ha Ha! What happens if you pack the 'stupid jeans' by mistake? No soup for you!!! I like formal but just one night of formal on a longer cruise. I'll still dress up one night and I'm sure I won't feel out of place. Being unique is never unfashionable. Stopping at the martini bar helps too!

I also just received this email. If you click on the link that says learn more, it still list the number of formal nights by length of the cruise.

Per the email:

Evening Chic evolutions include

Sipping destination-inspired drinks at the new Captains Reception

Rubbing elbows with Senior Officers (including the Captain) at new officer hosted tables

Glamming it up with a spa makeover (Facebook profile update check!)

Evening Chic sailing departing December 4 and beyond.

So, what does this mean??? DW just bought a new dress for formal night on our upcoming Dec 6 sailing.

I bought 2 for 6th Dec sailing and intend to wear them. I'm not dropping my standards.

It will look odd on our table for two !!!

I love the occasional formal night and the opportunity to glam it up .. my husband will never pack his tuxedo again now!

No matter how much I tell him he looks like Bond.

I hate packing my Tux. Given the option I would not bring even a sport coat. I'd do every dinner in shirt and pants. But.......

My wife gives me "the look." In fact when I get that "look," I realize I have "no option." As much as I feel a "traitor" to your husband, you need to develop a "look." If you do develop the "look," please don't tell him I "ratted" him out. But misery does love company. :)

Well even the lobster is dumbed down. It's nothing but a defrosted rubbery blob of meat the size of a prawn. The meals in the main dining room are no longer worth getting dressed up for. I would rather save the money that we would spend on formal attire and use it to pay for a specialty restaurant on those nights, which are always smart casual on any given night.

Agreed. I never order the lobster and feel sorry for those that think it is a special treat. Sorry. I'm a lobster snob and prefer to see my meal in a tank prior to eating it! Just a New England girl at heart!

The change in dress codes should not surprise any of us as both of these cruise lines are trying to attract younger cruisers on board. Look at the change in music being played, the louder volumes, the increase in craft brewed beers as other evidence. The younger folks have a different definition of evening dress style I suppose. I just wish more of them would invest in a halfway decent razor.

Every X cruise, both past and future, that my wife and I have been/will be on has been in Aqua just so we have the freedom to dress "resort casual" in Blu (the food also happens to be very good there too). During our working years we have been required to be "dressed up" too many times.

For those who like to dress to the nines you can still do so...just don't forget that earplugs may be required.

I recently read Greg King's book, "Lusitania: Triumph, Tragedy, and the End of the Edwardian Age". In it, he refers to Emily Post's advice regarding appropriate dress on an ocean liner:

"Emily Post’s 1931 revision of Etiquette: The Blue Book of Social Usage, “on the de luxe steamers nearly everyone dresses for dinner;
some actually wear ball dresses, which is in the worst possible taste, and like all overdressing in public places, indicates that they have no other place to show their finery.
In the a la carte restaurant, which is a feature of the de luxe steamer of size, fashionable women wear semi-dinner dresses, but in the regular dining saloon they wear ordinary house dresses with or without hats."

So perhaps we are actually returning to "Traditional Dining" dress rules.:D

You can see more etiquette advice for "de-luxe" steamer travel, from Emily Post, here.

Truth be told.

At 70, may I say that it's not about age? It's about mind set.

We're happy with the new options and are more than willing to admire others finery while in the comfort of our dinner chic attire.

Exactly. We're in your age range and I can't say I spend a lot of time deciding what others should wear. DH doesn't own a suit but does have a couple of nice sweaters that look good with a dress shirt or turtleneck.

As someone in my 30's I am bummed about the announcement. Much of the fun of dressing up for me is the atmosphere of others dressed to the 9's as well. Now...meh. There are so few places now where we can get dressed up and enjoy others doing so (even the MET had people in jeans at the opera - and these people were older than me, not those younger).

I get it - if I want that experience now onboard a cruise ship, I'm going to have to downgrade from my suites on X to lower level stateroom on Cunard. I think it might be worth it though. Ether way, I know for my next cruise I won't be spending any of my time at the future cruise sales desk booking next year's cruises. I will be spending that time with my TA before the cruise figuring out which lines will be our next venture.

Edited by Classynfun1

Don't assume that CC polls are necessarily representative of X clientele.

In May, we sailed on the Eclipse out of Southampton to Norway. The average age was probably 65+. Brits predominated. Many of the oldest clearly enjoyed the formal nights and dressing up properly.

I know that many octogenarians are internet savvy, but many are not, and there is generally an inverse correlation between age and internet use.

I suspect that many of those on the Eclipse will turn up with full formal dress unaware of any change, and ignoring it if they are aware.

Stuart

Which there is absolutely nothing wrong with. I think X has been pretty clear that if you want to still wear your formal then do so.

The Brits seems to be very vocal about this change so I'm sure that's where you will find the most formal being worn

And that is the only trouble with Cunard whose ships are the most beautiful of all. Limited choices are the problem

Where is this impression coming from that Cunard only do Transatlantic or World Cruises? Taking next July for instance, there are cruises to the Norwegian Fjords, the Baltic and Western , Central, and Eastern Med Itineraries.

Where is this impression coming from that Cunard only do Transatlantic or World Cruises? Taking next July for instance, there are cruises to the Norwegian Fjords, the Baltic and Western , Central, and Eastern Med Itineraries.

No one said that was all they did. The Post read...

"hope you like non stop transatlantic crossings, world cruises and the variety that just 3 ships brings. "

When I retired in 2001 it was mandatory for men & women to look business like in the work place (suits & dresses). When I recently visited my old employer. It was on a Friday and it was casual dress day. I was told by a very young executive employee that casual dress is now the norm every day. Times have changed.

Edited by cruise47

Every X cruise, both past and future, that my wife and I have been/will be on has been in Aqua just so we have the freedom to dress "resort casual" in Blu (the food also happens to be very good there too). During our working years we have been required to be "dressed up" too many times.

I believe that the change is due to Blu & the recent introduction of Luminae.

How can a code be enforced, when it only is appropriate to 50% of the ship.

It was only enforced in the MDR.

Other speciality resteraunts and of course the self service ( where many people opt to eat on formal night) do not have an enforced dress code.

And that is the only trouble with Cunard whose ships are the most beautiful of all. Limited choices are the problem

Cunard is a niche cruise line. That is why they have only three ships. I have been on QM2. Very interesting and on par with Celebrity, not above it. I would not book Cunard regularly because of their dress code. And that is why they have only three ships. The market for fussy is small.

Edited by Charles4515

Sorry... devils from the past quotes. :p

:rolleyes: You're on vacation! Just rent it for $ 150.00 - 200.00! You spent all that money on a cruise! Don't be cheap when it means something to everyone who remembers the old days....:rolleyes:

ballroom_0002.jpg

Since the vast majority wants to be rid of formal, we need to request you take it to the Buffet please...

When packing, substitute one pair of slacks for one pair of jeans, pack one suitable shirt and throw in a jacket. Might not be "formal" but could be "chic".

It is a generational thing for sure. I wore a tie in grammar school a jacket and tie in high school. Men wore jackets, ties and fedoras to a ball game, to church and dinner at almost any restaurant even at home on occasion into the sixties. Dressing in slacks with jacket and tie for me is no more difficult or time consuming than doing the jeans and Izod thing.

That being said when our luggage gets picked up there will be no jacket in it for the first time in 16 years . My only hope is that the little things in the MDR that were part of the "formal" nights are still there on "chic" nights.

Que sera sera. We shall see, but we will as always have a great cruise no matter.

bosco