Cabin Hacks

I'm going on my first RCCL cruise this month and have been researching hacks to make best use of the limited space onboard. I have read about the magnetic hooks which I plan to bring. I have also read that some cruiseships don't allow the over-the-door shoe organizer for the bathroom. Has anyone done this on RCCL? It's a great idea if it's allowed. Also, if you have any other tips I'd love to hear them! Thanks!!!! :)

I've taken a shoe holder on several cruises, and never really used it much. i think I will be leaving it at home next time.

I cannot recall the design of the cabins on Oasis, but we took these on our last X cruise. They fit PERFECTLY into the shelf above the bed.

I don't think the design of the RCCL cabins lend themselves to use of storage cubes, but even if I have to place them on the floor of the closet - they will still come in handy. I bought mine at the dollar store.

3e034107-a86e-44b8-b521-361ca5803815.jpg

Edited by Queen of Oakville

I'm going on my first RCCL cruise this month and have been researching hacks to make best use of the limited space onboard. I have read about the magnetic hooks which I plan to bring. I have also read that some cruiseships don't allow the over-the-door shoe organizer for the bathroom. Has anyone done this on RCCL? It's a great idea if it's allowed. Also, if you have any other tips I'd love to hear them! Thanks!!!! :)

Anything that doesn't fit in the closet, drawers, safe, shelves, or other cubby holes in the cabin throw in a big pile on the couch/chair in your cabin. (or find a spot on the floor)

You are on vacation so don't worry about organizing anything.

Unless you are expecting her majesty the Queen to stop by for tea --- only you, your cabin mate(s), and your room attendant are going to be seeing your room.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Bring less stuff and more money than you think is necessary.

:)

That is my opinion.

Unlike the other poster, I always use my over the door shoe holder - great for lotions, etc and keeps your bathroom counter neat.

The other thing we use is pop-up clothes hamper - it folds flat for packing and then we pop it open and keep in the closet for dirty clothes.

We are traveling in connecting rooms with 3 teenagers so anything that can make it a little simpler will help. Does anyone know if the walls on the Enchantment are magnetic? I've read that some aren't so the wall clips won't do any good. Thanks for all the good ideas! Keep em coming :D

We are traveling in connecting rooms with 3 teenagers so anything that can make it a little simpler will help. Does anyone know if the walls on the Enchantment are magnetic? I've read that some aren't so the wall clips won't do any good. Thanks for all the good ideas! Keep em coming :D

Connecting rooms ... Oh, so you have multiple couches to throw stuff on then. :D:D:D

Yikes! Stuff all over the place?? Not my idea of a vacation, living in a pigsty! We've always had plenty of storage space without an over the door thing....but you CERTAINLY may bring one!!!

Edited by cb at sea

The cabins we had in March had metal walls.

:DCabin doors are metal (magnetic). The others . . . ?

Over-the-door holders are not prohibited by any cruise line (unless you hang them on the outside of the passageway (front) door.

You can also store "stuff" in your suitcase and use it as a drawer under the bed. Slide it out, get what you need, slide it back . . .

Put two items on each hanger (shirt/blouse over slacks). Cabin steward will get you as many hangers as you need. Most closets allow you to hang on two levels, so (unless you HAVE to clip slacks full length) hang slacks over the hanger bar.

Will also be a shelf at the top of the closet, so you can stack folded items up there. Save shelf space by threading the coat hanger hook through belt buckles.

If you have a lot of slacks, bring a multi hanger (holds 4-6 pair of slacks).

How long a cruise are you going on?

Once you have everything packed, take out half the clothes and pack the ATM instead.

Seriously, if this is your first cruise, you're going to find that over-packing is a common mistake. Not a problem (unless it puts you over on airline weight allowance), just a mistake.

Edited by Calgon1

Yikes! Stuff all over the place?? Not my idea of a vacation, living in a pigsty! We've always had plenty of storage space without an over the door thing....but you CERTAINLY may bring one!!!

Pigsty, eh? OK. LOL

Traveling with two teenagers....the over the door shoe hanger worked great for us. We put lotions, bandaids, sunscreen, etc in it. It was also a great place to keep our shore excursion tickets. We put ours on the outside of the bathroom door. I also printed out the public deck plans and used magnets to put them on the inside of the stateroom door. Then as we were headed to the theatre for example, just looked at the plans on our way out and we never ended up on the wrong end of the ship...lol

We never do anything special, and have always had plenty of room for our stuff. Unless you are packing for 3 weeks on a 1 week cruise, you should have no issue.

Unlike the other poster, I always use my over the door shoe holder - great for lotions, etc and keeps your bathroom counter neat.

The other thing we use is pop-up clothes hamper - it folds flat for packing and then we pop it open and keep in the closet for dirty clothes.

Why not just pack the dirty clothes as they come off? Makes it sooooooo much easier on the last night if you've been packing along the way.

Anything that doesn't fit in the closet, drawers, safe, shelves, or other cubby holes in the cabin throw in a big pile on the couch/chair in your cabin. (or find a spot on the floor)

You are on vacation so don't worry about organizing anything.

Unless you are expecting her majesty the Queen to stop by for tea --- only you, your cabin mate(s), and your room attendant are going to be seeing your room.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Bring less stuff and more money than you think is necessary.

:)

That is my opinion.

Not entirely true. It's hard to resist glancing into open cabin doors as I walk by, and I've seen some amazing piles of clothing and personal belongings.:eek: But I don't imagine that the occupants give a rat's patootie that I know they're slobs.;)

Bosoxfan5, I try to bring the least amount of stuff I can manage when I travel. I put my toiletries into small containers that will last the length of the trip so I don't need more storage than the bathroom cabinets provide (if it's the original design; on some ships the cabinets have been replaced by a few shelves that are just stupidly designed). I also use the vanity shelves for toiletry items that I don't use in the bathroom. Even in an OV on Monarch, one of the tiniest cabins ever, I never ran out of storage space. But those cabins are better laid out than the ones on the new ships, IMO.

I use the same techniques every week as I travel- pack in zip lock bags. Toiletries are separated by liquids for TSA inspection and make- up. Easy to unpack as underclothes, pajamas and exercise clothes stay in the bag so they lay easily in the closet shelf. Dirty clothes go into one suitcase as the week progresses. All of this in the 22" roller board that we pack in (one each). I need my room to always be tidy so keeping everything out of sight is important to me.

I have never taken extra things for cabin storage or hampers for dirty clothes. All our toiletries have fit into the bathroom cabinets and/or desk mirror cabinets. We just put one suitcase into the closet standing up on it's end with the zipper top opened and use that for dirty clothes. I have brought extra hangers, especially pants hangers as there never seem to be enough.

Not entirely true. It's hard to resist glancing into open cabin doors as I walk by, and I've seen some amazing piles of clothing and personal belongings.:eek: But I don't imagine that the occupants give a rat's patootie that I know they're slobs.;)

Unless you are in the location we were in on our last cruise because we did not have anyone walking by our door. :)

As you can see in the first 10 seconds of my video.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Direct link:

We were on enchantment 2 years ago and I brought this and hong it inside bathroom door.

It probably was not that necessary as I found there was plenty of storage but I did not have teenagers with me. It would probably come in handy with them.

Also do not forget to bring some kind of plugs to give you more sockets.

image.jpg.d8a05321394b064d948c4b80c54b6597.jpg

Took the over the door thing nice, but didn't get much value out of it. Throw my dirty laundry in the empty suitcase under the bed, and there's always been ample storage for me. The couch does seem to collect stuff but I'm on holidays, so it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always bring the large magnetic hooks. Never enough hooks for me & the bota towel clips do really well to dry a bathing suit. An led candle for bathroom for nighttime visits. That's about it on extras

DH usuallt gets in the bathroom before I do to put away his toiletries so have little room for my few things. The Medicene cabin shelves are small and things fall thru so giving some thought for Oct cruise on where I will put things plus our daughter is along so we may rethink our storage options.

We never do anything special, and have always had plenty of room for our stuff. Unless you are packing for 3 weeks on a 1 week cruise, you should have no issue.

Agreed! Don't take up space in your suitcases with "extras". Think if you have so much stuff that storage is a problem you are overpacking - clothes and "extras".

I use a shoe holder every cruise that I hang in the closet over the rod. It was called a jr shoe holder in the store. Lays flat in the suitcase and takes up no room. I store all my shoes in it so they are not in a jumble on the closet floor. This is my favorite after 25 cruises. Otherwise we have room for just about everything. For the first time I am going with my daughter this summer. It will be interesting to see wihere all the extra toiletries go. I am thinking it might be good to take a small basket to store stuff on the shelf under the sink.

I'm a habitual over-packer ... and I'm OK with that. Having confessed to that, I also must advise that I never bring any of the organizers people recommend, because the cabins are so well laid out, I always end up with a few drawers or shelves we have no need of. And the suitcase that I schlepped all my stuff in makes a great hamper.

We always take a few minutes to straighten up before we leave the room ... because if you don't make a habit of putting things back, you'll never find them when you need them.

We do bring along plenty of refrigerator magnets to tack things to the wall. I like the idea of printing out the deck plans of public areas ... Thank you for that one. I tend to get confused about which location to head for a favorite venue because I don't consistently book port cabins anymore, so I tend to turn the wrong way when I'm heading out of the cabin.