WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

So prices have gone up quite a lot - but then might ask what is the problem? It is not mandatory to cruise RCCL - if the prices seem too high, then people can user other cruise line.

Based on alcohol prices in Northern Europe RCCL isn't expensive - not cheap neither. We have always taken beverage package and it has been a good choice.

In our case. we had chosen and booked our cruise last June with the information we had available. Final Payment was in January, in march, 3 weeks before we sailed, the drinks prices jump up 40%. Do you still think we should not be disappointed about that and just shrug it off and say Oh Well...:(

We had pre-purchased a Bev package but many others do not and felt like they had to. It is not a nice feeling to have when you're on vacation.

Edited by dpostman

. Do you still think we should not be disappointed about that and just shrug it off and say Oh Well...:(

Absolutely NOT!

Also along with these substantial increases you will also find mediocre to downright POOR bar service on board along with weaker drinks than you were use to.

Just another case of them taking more of your money and providing you less of a product and we have those here that make excuses for it. LOL

My only complaint about my whole cruise was the outrageous drink prices followed by the mediocre to just bad bar service and weak pours. I noted it on my survey and dont expect I will hear anything back.

And yes, Im booked again on another RC cruise. Still doesnt mean I dont have a right to voice a displeasure though. Im shocked at the amount of people here that just roll over at all the cutbacks or make excuses for and justify them. I could not care less what a drink costs at a ballgame, amusement park or in NYC. Thats irrelevant.

Edited by ryano

That is true - in that situation it is impossible. Then probably package would be the most easiest and possibly cheapest option.

that's the situation we are in - but there is no way I am paying £1036 on drinks for our cabin. Our last holiday 10 nights over xmas to a town house in tenerife including flights (for 4)was not much more than that.

I had saved enough for 1bt of wine to share and a cocktail (or 2 beers) each per day - now its struggling cover even bt of wine to share.( as they also went up 25-35% on gifts and gear 2 weeks ago). So I will now take on our 2 bottles and I am thinking about the royal replenish option which depending on what else we spend I may upgrade to select for the last 4 days (or at least for dh and myself). Total either £398 or £496 - still making me gulp!!!

I think they have been very clever in their pricing as the package price v's the cocktail prices now catches even very moderate drinkers as its only a about 15 $ more to do the pack than have 3 drinks and evens for about 4 - so the may as well attitude kicks in - was starting to do so for us but I just can't bring myself to spend that amount on alcohol.

Edited by fragilek

Pretty sure that $7.97 Total Wine price is as low as she goes. The won't give case discounts at that price

I suspect RCCL is not going to Total to buy their wine so the Total "ending in 7" no case discount rule does not apply. I am sure that any large account, such as a cruise line, gets an attractive price per case, or pallet.

Most agree, the alcohol prices on RCI have certainly gone up.

Cheers

M

I think this mainly matters in situation when someone takes couple drinks per day - so the package wouldn't be an option. Then we would talk about 10$ additional cost per day compared to previous pricing.

Edited by JezzaC

I think this mainly matters in situation when someone takes couple drinks per day - so the package wouldn't be an option. Then we would talk about 10$ additional cost per day compared to previous pricing.

While this probably makes no sense to most, I have already decided I am going to buy the Premium Package on Allure and just accept that this is the new Royal Caribbean way and consider it part of the cost of the cruise. In fact, I may go ahead and do that Friday when I get paid. I know I probably wont even come close to "breaking even" but I also know I wont have to worry a thing about how much I will spend a day on drinks on board or how many $14.16 lava flows or bloody mary's I may or may not have.

Edited by ryano

I suspect RCCL is not going to Total to buy their wine so the Total "ending in 7" no case discount rule does not apply. I am sure that any large account, such as a cruise line, gets an attractive price per case, or pallet.

Most agree, the alcohol prices on RCI have certainly gone up.

Cheers

M

I was merely trying to show that the ending in 7 price is a loss leader and the margin is non existent. Pretty sure that is pretty close to the wholesale price. That particular wine is often sold at $10 - $12 at most non discount retailers

While this probably makes no sense to most, I have already decided I am going to buy the Premium Package on Allure and just accept that this is the new Royal Caribbean way and consider it part of the cost of the cruise. In fact, I may go ahead and do that Friday when I get paid. I know I probably wont even come close to "breaking even" but I also know I wont have to worry a thing about how much I will spend a day on drinks on board or how many $14.16 lava flows or bloody mary's I may or may not have.

Go for it. :beer:

I'm afraid I would tend to overdo it.

Go to martini class on rising tide, it's a hoot

The uk packages have gone up £2 or about $3 a day to pre-book on line since last week.

what price where they and what are they now. The price for mine, Rhapsody this summer, hasn't changed yet -now thinking maybe I should just book now instead of waiting

I haven't been on a RCCL since last February and so the increase hadn't taken place yet. However, just my opinion here....increases in drink prices will not keep me from cruising RCCL. I have never gotten a watered down drink on a cruise ship. In fact, I have found in my experience that they are overly generous with their pours. Again, this is just my experience. I am very willing to pay for a good drink as opposed to being at an all-inclusive resort and get crappy drinks. (yes, I have done all-inclusive as well) I don't buy the drink packages because I absolutely cannot drink that much. I am on vacation, so if I want a drink, I get a drink...and I don't worry about it :)

Vicki

I haven't been on a RCCL since last February and so the increase hadn't taken place yet. However, just my opinion here....increases in drink prices will not keep me from cruising RCCL. I have never gotten a watered down drink on a cruise ship. In fact, I have found in my experience that they are overly generous with their pours. Again, this is just my experience. I am very willing to pay for a good drink as opposed to being at an all-inclusive resort and get crappy drinks. (yes, I have done all-inclusive as well) I don't buy the drink packages because I absolutely cannot drink that much. I am on vacation, so if I want a drink, I get a drink...and I don't worry about it :)

Vicki

Same Here!

Edited by bigque

Vicki

Im pretty sure since last February, not only have drink prices increased but the bartenders have also started measured pouring. You will no longer find "overly generous pours" as a norm. This may be a welcomed sight for some but if Im paying + 14.00 for a frozen drink, I want to taste some alcohol in it :) Several of the frozen lava flows I had I seriously wondered if there was any alcohol at all. Just not at all what I had remembered from 3 years ago. No longer are there an abundance of pool servers walking around (again, maybe a welcome sight for some) either and service at bars, especially around the pool, was pretty poor to mediocre at best.

Its not a reason to make me stop sailing RC though. I even booked Allure while on board Freedom. Im just saying that your experience as far as drinks goes will probably differ this time than what you remember from the past :) Even if the past was only a year ago.

what price where they and what are they now. The price for mine, Rhapsody this summer, hasn't changed yet -now thinking maybe I should just book now instead of waiting

select was £25 and it is now £27 and premium was £35 and it is now £37

Given the individual drink price increases; how much are the various drink packages now? Thanks in advance.

DrB

Including the 18% gratuity, prices for packages on Freedom a couple weeks were.

Select - 41.30 a day

Premium - 57.82 a day

Ultimate - 64.90 a day

Im pretty sure since last February, not only have drink prices increased but the bartenders have also started measured pouring. You will no longer find "overly generous pours" as a norm. This may be a welcomed sight for some but if Im paying + 14.00 for a frozen drink, I want to taste some alcohol in it :) Several of the frozen lava flows I had I seriously wondered if there was any alcohol at all. Just not at all what I had remembered from 3 years ago. No longer are there an abundance of pool servers walking around (again, maybe a welcome sight for some) either and service at bars, especially around the pool, was pretty poor to mediocre at best.

Its not a reason to make me stop sailing RC though. I even booked Allure while on board Freedom. Im just saying that your experience as far as drinks goes will probably differ this time than what you remember from the past :) Even if the past was only a year ago.

When the prices went up the alcohol went down. Every bartender on the Enchantment were doing exact measured drinks. On the frozen drinks no more extra rum on top like they use to to. Quite a difference from the past.

Vicki

I think someone is going to be in for a Surprise on their next Royal Caribbean Cruise. We got off In March and seen all that is being reported first hand.

Edited by link99

I was merely trying to show that the ending in 7 price is a loss leader and the margin is non existent. Pretty sure that is pretty close to the wholesale price. That particular wine is often sold at $10 - $12 at most non discount retailers

Makes sense.

M

Vicki

As others have also indicated, I think your experience is going to change with your next RCI cruise.

if you ave a drinks package could you just get an extra measure of rum 10 mins before ordering the cocktail - would this be allowed

There's no time limit between drinks. They just serve one drink at a time per person.