New guy, with a question about shaving on board.

Josh83

We're cruising on Emerald in February and I have a question. I use what I've always called a safety razor. It uses double edge razor blades(not a straight razor like a Barber Shop uses). Are these permitted on board? The faq on the princess site mentioned cut throat razors, but I'm thinking that is a straight razor. This is my first cruise with Princess.

We're cruising on Emerald in February and I have a question. I use what I've always called a safety razor. It uses double edge razor blades(not a straight razor like a Barber Shop uses). Are these permitted on board? The faq on the princess site mentioned cut throat razors, but I'm thinking that is a straight razor. This is my first cruise with Princess.

I do not use a safety razor, but I cannot see why it wouldn't be allowed.....:):):)

Bob

• Like 1

A 'cut throat razor' is the old-style one with a stainless steel blade probably 5"-6" long that folds out from a handle. This is the type of razor you would see a barber using in an old movie.

I should imagine you would be OK with a safety razor and razor blades.:) I suggest you pack it in with your toiletries in your large suitcase.

An awful lot of ladies would be hiding their legs if safety razors were not permitted ...

Not only are they permitted on cruise ships, you can tell that they are not considered by 'Them in Power' to be a danger because the TSA allows you to get on a plane with one in ... gasp ... your cabin baggage!!

Edited by jollyjones
  • Haha 1

The big difference between what the OP uses and what 90% of men and women use, is that the OP's blades are double sided, and come out of the razor when done. The blades are not enclosed in a plastic holder with 1-4 other single edged blades. Since there is no longer the disposal method of choice for double edged blades (anyone remember the slot in the back of metal medicine cabinets? That was to put the blades into the wall cavity!), I don't know how you dispose of your blades at home, but please do not place them in the trash onboard. The cabin stewards hand sort all trash picked up from the cabins for proper disposal, and these unprotected blades are dangerous, so leave an old blade out with a note to the steward for disposal.

My son uses a safety razor, and we wedge the sharp edges into cardboard for disposal.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2

The safety razors are the kinds most people use.
OP is talking about a razor that uses the iconic razor blade like this. Most people do not use this kind of razor anymore, because the blade itself is very dangerous, handy for slitting your wrists, etc.

If you bring a bunch of these blades on board and play with them in public areas, that will be a problem. If you pack some in your luggage and use them to shave, no one will ever know (if disposed of properly, as the previous poster pointed out).

Not only are they permitted on cruise ships, you can tell that they are not considered by 'Them in Power' to be a danger because the TSA allows you to get on a plane with one in ... gasp ... your cabin baggage!!

Again, people are not getting what the OP means by "safety razor". These razors are not technically allowed in carry-on baggage (with the blade), nor are the loose blades. Edited by hawkeyetlse
  • Like 1

OP take a picture of it or get one off he internet and send it with your question to Princess. If they say it is OK then take the response with you in case of any questions. In this day and age wouldn't it be easier just to take some disposable ones and use them instead. Especially if it is a shorter 7 day or less cruise.

Use it. I have always used a double edge blade razor. There may be a rule against a straight razor but that is all.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska, Caribbean Princess 2015 Western Caribbean

All personal grooming items are allowed....many folks use that kind of razor....no worries. If you're worried about disposing of the blade, wrap it in a sheet of paper or something. You really shouldn't need to change blades that often on a week long cruise!

OP take a picture of it or get one off he internet and send it with your question to Princess. If they say it is OK then take the response with you in case of any questions. In this day and age wouldn't it be easier just to take some disposable ones and use them instead. Especially if it is a shorter 7 day or less cruise.

Seriously? lol

• Haha 1

Bring your razor. You will have no issues bringing it aboard. No need to take a picture of your razor and send it to Princess. Enjoy your Cruise. Emerald is our favorite Princess ship.

Edited by davekathy

I have cruised with a double edge safety razor for the past 8 years (since my wife bought me a really nice one). I have never even though twice about carrying it (even on flights). Nobody has ever said a word about it. For a one week cruise I would only bring the one blade actually in the razor. But if i needed to bring more, the back of the blade container has a spot to put your old blades and then you just discard the whole container as one.

All personal grooming items are allowed....many folks use that kind of razor....no worries. If you're worried about disposing of the blade, wrap it in a sheet of paper or something. You really shouldn't need to change blades that often on a week long cruise!
Talk to your steward once onboard. He/she will gladly provide you with a "sharps container", a plastic container, you can use for razor blade disposal. They will remove the container at the end of the cruise and dispose properly.

or do what Neonsport just suggested while I was typing.

Do NOT just wrap in a tissue and throw in the garbage can. That is both a safety and a health hazard.

Edited by Times Prince
added reference to post made while typing

• 10 months later...
An awful lot of ladies would be hiding their legs if safety razors were not permitted ...

Actually, the TSA does not allow safety blades in the cabin.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/08/safety-razors-and-disposable-razors.html

But I have been taking my safety razor, brush, and cream on cruises for 3 years.

Although I'm sure the crew has sharps containers for other situations (like those who take injections), I choose to bring blades that come in plastic containers like below, which have a 'used blade' slot on the back. Sorry for the size of the images.

Personna_Platinum_grande.jpg?v=1459062064

1113000204535_500X500.jpg

Edited by Gig103

You could always request a sharps container if disposing of blades in your room. Right?

Agree. If you change blades often, ask for a sharps container.

BTW: I bring a small bottle of alcohol (ETOH - not the drinkable stuff) and dip the razor in after using. This removes the water that's left on the blade and keeps it from rusting.

I use my "safety" razors for several months, before they need to be tossed.

The post about the packaging that stored the used blades makes me wonder if anyone here remembers why there was a slit in the back of metal medicine cabinets? That's where you put your used blades. So if you are gutting a bathroom, watch out for the rusty pile under the medicine cabinet, as it could require a trip for a tetanus shot.

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

The TSA does NOT allow double edge safety razor blades in carry on baggage on flights.  You can carry the razor without blades on a flight and then bu blades at your destination but no blades allowed in the airplane cabin.  Cartridge blades and disposable razor are allowed in carry on.  I tried and they easily detected by safety razor and I had to let them discard all of the blades (one  in the razor and three spares) before returning my razor.  

As far as cruises are concerned, I avoid the possible problem by using disposables on cruises.  Still use my mug soap and brush though.

• Like 1