ID to reboard?

Is it true that you need a picture ID plus the card they issue when you board in order to get back on the ship? What should we take with us when we are in a port?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You only need your SeaPass card to reboard the ship. They recommend taking a picture ID ashore in case you need identification while you are away from the ship. Your SeaPass does not have your photo on it.

Is it true that you need a picture ID plus the card they issue when you board in order to get back on the ship? What should we take with us when we are in a port?

Any government issed photo ID will work. Some ports (Nassau come to mind) will not let you approach the ship without a photo ID that matches your ship card.

Cruise compass will say exactly what you need for each port. Seapass card is what gets you on and off the ship. Hence the famous "ding" as crew checks your picture. You always need that.

Most ports require a picture ID. I usually take my driver's license. Ports/countries outside of the Caribbean area may require a passport. Remember needing passport in Europe along with Seapass card.

You only need your SeaPass card to reboard the ship. They recommend taking a picture ID ashore in case you need identification while you are away from the ship. Your SeaPass does not have your photo on it.

Not true - I've been to many ports where a photo ID is required to enter the port area. Your sea pass, when inserted into the various machines onboard bring up your photo.

To be safe, you can do as others here have suggested.

On the other hand, I have never been asked to produce picture ID when returning to the port or ship, just shown my sea pass card.

YMMV.

To be safe, you can do as others here have suggested.

On the other hand, I have never been asked to produce picture ID when returning to the port or ship, just shown my sea pass card.

YMMV.

Ditto

Mostly just wave the sea pass card and then off to the ship, whether by tender or walk the pier.

Safe travels.

Not true - I've been to many ports where a photo ID is required to enter the port area. Your sea pass, when inserted into the various machines onboard bring up your photo.

Actually it is true if you consider the actual reboarding separate from going through port security. You do only need your sea pass card to board the ship. You may also need a picture ID to get past port security.

My kids have always just used their seapass card at both port and ship security areas. I too have been asked for photo ID when entering the port area after a beautiful day ashore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Many times when entering the Port from a Tour they will get on the tour Bus and check a photo ID or Passport, this was especially seen during our NZ Cruise. 6 people were pulled from our tour van to check their identity before being allowed to board. Our driver informed us that they would board to check our ID's so have them ready. Other Ports we just had to show our Sea Pass Cards before entering the ship, This told them we were passengers for that ship. We always carry our DL's with us

We carry a photocopy of our passport reduced to credit card size and Lamitated, it fits in our wallets and means we can leave all original documents in the cabin safe. Occasionally we have been asked for ID by the port authorities when returning to the ship and its always been acceptable.

I was asked for my passport when I reboarded at Marseille. Had alot of trouble with my seapass and discovered that day they had put someone elses photo against my seapass. Was glad I had my passport on me. Had to get my seapass redone and then other days just needed it

Do kids need a photo ID too or is a passport photocopy sufficient?

Our experience has been that kids under 16 are not required to have a government issued photo ID.

We have been to just about every port in the Caribbean and have never been asked for anything other than our seapass card to go through security and of course you have to have it to get on the ship itself. You picture is embedded in the magnetic strip, so ship security sees it on their screen when they ding you card when leaving and returning. :cool:

In some of the ports, port security does require you to show a picture ID in addition to your Seapass in order to re-enter the port area. When you are actually boarding the ship you will only need your Seapass. There are a few Caribbean ports that have this requirement. Nassau is one of them that requires you to show them a picture ID and Seapass before you can enter the port and walk to the ship. We've experienced this at 1 or 2 other ports also. They will make announcements on the ship regarding this requirement and and also include the information in the Cruise Planner. Just to be safe, we bring our Drivers License with us when we leave the ship.

We have been to just about every port in the Caribbean and have never been asked for anything other than our seapass card to go through security and of course you have to have it to get on the ship itself. You picture is embedded in the magnetic strip, so ship security sees it on their screen when they ding you card when leaving and returning. :cool:

I believe you, but we've seen something entirely different.

You only need the Sea Pass to leave the ship and re-enter the ship. That's been true for us, as well.

However, the overwhelming number of ports have required us to show photo ID to get back into the port area. Specifically: Nassau, Falmouth, and George Town in the Caribbean. Those I know for sure. I'm fairly certain there were more. I believe that Cozumel required it to enter the compound, but I'm not 100% sure.

I know in Falmouth you have to go through metal detectors & xray machines TWICE. Once for the Jamaican government and once for the ship. When we were there in December, a family in front of us was pulled out of line and moved over to the side. It seemed like it was because they had no photo ID. We went through and saw some ship personnel coming into to the port building as we exited. Our assumption was they were going to meet the family without ID. We didn't stay and watch as it had already held us up for several minutes. I don't have hard evidence of that, but believe it to be true.

In addition to what others have said all U.S. and U.S. Territory ports I've been to have required a photo ID.

Also, as an aside, it is a common misconception that your ship's security photo is electronically contained in your SeaPass card. It is not, the photo is in the ship's computer system. The magnetic strip, bar code, or RFID chip are used by the reader at the security station to access the information in the computer.