Inside Cabin Panama Canal

Wallbanger

We are considering a Panama Canal 14 day cruise in January and due to the expense will probably book an inside cabin. So far we have been on 7 cruises with three more booked in the fall and all have been OV or balcony cabins with the majority being balconies. I am wondering if 14 days with an inside cabin will feel too confining. I might also add this would also put us at the Platinum level after our fall cruises.

You've received two replies so far that really demonstrate the range of feelings on the topic. If you're going to be in your cabin very little (and on a PC cruise that may be the case if you're up on deck viewing) then an inside should work. But if you enjoy the flexibility of a balcony (especially on a PC cruise with private viewing opportunities) then you should go with that. For us (and this is just "us"), there's no way we would get an inside (or even an OV) on a 14 day cruise to anywhere.

Edited by joepeka

I only book inside cabins for the cost savings, due to our retirement budget, and would continue to no matter how long the cruise is. We just go up on deck for the sunrise with our coffee, and sunset cocktails. I would love a balcony—-maybe if I win a lottery! Lol! Will be celebrating our 50th Anniversary on the Magic in April 2020-–—in an inside cabin! You will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have done both balconies and inside cabins. while I love a nice balcony cabin I would totally book an inside if it meant going on the cruise itinerary I really wanted to go on versus not going or “settling” for a different itinerary. We don’t spend too much time in our cabin, so for us it wouldn’t be a matter of being “confined.”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did a 12-day to Hawaii on the Spirit in an inside cabin, and have a 13-day Panama Canal booked on the Miracle, also in an inside cabin. Carnival's inside cabins are spacious (at least on the Spirit class ships) and since I sail solo and have to pay double, the savings are significant.

I did a partial PC transit on the Coral Princess, and found that getting out on deck and circling the ship provided a better view of what was going on than being stationary on a balcony.

Roz

We spend time in our cabin so we would never under any circumstance book an inside ! IF I couldn't afford a balcony or suite I'd wait until I had the money to book the cruise with those cabins or I'd book a different cruise!

We did the Panama Canal cruise - 16 days last year in an inside and did fine but of the 21 cruises, I have been on 16 have been insides, 2 ocean views, and 3 balconies. Yes, I would prefer a balcony but given the choice between a 7 day with balcony or a 14 or 16 day inside, I would choose the inside every time. When you are going through the Panama Canal, you are going to want to move around the ship anyway to see the canal from different views. Have fun whatever you end up booking!

We have an inside cabin for our 15 day Panama Canal cruise coming up in March with our two young daughters. It would not be our first choice of cabin but an ocean view was over $2000 more and a simple balcony was $3000 more! That is substantial and almost ridiculous and made it too easy to choose an inside. We only need the cabin as a family to sleep and shower. Choosing anything other than an inside, especially with children for that long, would not financially allow us to step aboard. We weren't going to allow that to happen! Use the money saved for airfare or other onboard expenses.

I've never had an inside cabin and would never consider one. I love having a balcony. I prefer aft facing and aft wraps. I like having my own perfect space to enjoy the views.

I loved balconies, too, when we had them years ago. But if it means a balcony cruise every 3 years, or inside cabin cruise every year, I will take an inside and cruise every year. Once your retired, your income is severely limited. We budget religiously to be able to keep cruising, but it has to be an inside cabin or no cruise. Yes, it was nice sipping my coffee on my balcony, but I get equal pleasure sipping it up on deck.

We would never cruise without a balcony. Every morning room service is our wake up call. We have coffee, danish, fruit, and some juice on the balcony every morning. Couldn't think of a better way to see the canal.

Interesting comments. I think our sweet spot is an OV. Sure we like balcs. It just comes down to price. Things that also impact our decision are number of sea days vs. ports, cruise region (Caribbean vs. cold north Pacific). One nice thing about a Carnival OV is the additional square footage relative to an Inside.

We cruise in what I can afford. About half of my cruises have been in insides. We enjoy knowing we have a balcony, but I find we don't use it enough to justify the cost. I have done three full transits in OV cabins (Oosterdam, Infinity, Carnival Splendor) and a partial transit in a balcony. The balcony was on Carnival Pride, journey cruise and 7 days on the front, B2B. It was a shame that we spent very little time using it. EM