Dramamine

tran93le

I was already thinking about buying them to bring with me on my cruise, but I also heard many conflicting things about the wristband version. To me, they look like a placebo effect. Do those wristbands actually work?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes they do. I don't like taking medication. So I use the bands and this ointment called Motion Eaze that I get from Walmart. You just put it behind your earlobes. It works instantly if you are feeling queasy. You can order the bands from Amazon or if you have A Container store near you. They have their own version there.

When I went on my first cruise in 2013 when I woke up in the morning both me and my oldest daughter were sick to our stomach so we headed over to the liquor shop that also sold meds and decided to get the bracelets because at this point we were willing to try anything the lady helped us put them on and like 30 minutes later we were still not feeling good so i pulled out the directions and realized the lady put them on in the wrong spot you basically wanna put your pointer and middle finger next to your wrist line and the plastic part of the bands go right after that - so we readjusted our bands and within like 20 minutes both of us were feeling better - So yes they work - you can get them at walmart for like $8

DH is extremely motion sick prone (anything moving), the bands were a waste for him when he tried them years ago. Switched to the prescription patch from DR and motion sickness pills (either Dramamine or Bonine). Puts a patch on 24 hrs before boarding to get it into his system and changes it out the second or third cruise day. Coupled with a motion sickness pill every night before bed, he is usually good to go.

Can always grab another pill if need be but really has not needed to do that. Also, remember you will be in port for some of the time. Remember to grab some ginger ale and ginger candy to pop in your mouth if you start to feel queasy.

DH is extremely motion sick prone (anything moving), the bands were a waste for him when he tried them years ago. Switched to the prescription patch from DR and motion sickness pills (either Dramamine or Bonine). Puts a patch on 24 hrs before boarding to get it into his system and changes it out the second or third cruise day. Coupled with a motion sickness pill every night before bed, he is usually good to go.

Can always grab another pill if need be but really has not needed to do that. Also, remember you will be in port for some of the time. Remember to grab some ginger ale and ginger candy to pop in your mouth if you start to feel queasy.

My aunt that’s traveling with me this year is the same way. She got a prescription last year and boy she was like a new woman. Her Doctor suggested taking the pills too but she never needed them while on the patch.

Dramamine and Dramamine II are two entirely different products. Dramamine will make you very sleepy and needs to be taken more than once a day. As I remember, it is once every 4 hours.(Someone may be able to confirm this or set me straight.) Dramamine II is Meclizine HCL. I take it once a day before going to bed. It is less likely to make you sleepy. It is also known as Bonine. It can be purchased as the generic Meclizine HCL which is much cheaper.

I have fairly bad motion sickness too and have to use both the Scopalamine patch as well as Bonine or Dramamine. We cruised during the hurricane epidemic of 2017 and I was glad to have what I needed. During our last cruise in Feb. 2018, on the Conquest, I decided to not use the patch ahead of time and just see how it went. I found the Conquest to be quite rough even in what looked like calm waters. Speaking with others on board, they felt the same way. I applied a patch on the first day at sea at it took a while but I felt better. Makes me wonder how good the stabilizers are on that ship. Once we returned we found that others felt the same movement on the ship despite sailing during different weeks.

Anyway, I hope you find what works for you...there are many different options that people find will work. Just be prepared! The ship's doctor ( at least on some ships) will not provide scopalamine. I would bring what ever you can get over the counter just to be on the safe side.

Happy cruising!

Deb

Edited by Twintowngirl
typo

Dramamine and Dramamine II are two entirely different products. Dramamine will make you very sleepy and needs to be taken more than once a day. As I remember, it is once every 4 hours.(Someone may be able to confirm this or set me straight.) Dramamine II is Meclizine HCL. I take it once a day before going to bed. It is less likely to make you sleepy. It is also known as Bonine. It can be purchased as the generic Meclizine HCL which is much cheaper.

We also use Meclizine. Our RX says take 1 every 12hrs. We have never had a problem. Maybe the OTC version is not the same strength as our RX version. Talk to your PCP, they should prescribe it without question....unless the med is questionable for you.

I was already thinking about buying them to bring with me on my cruise, but I also heard many conflicting things about the wristband version. To me, they look like a placebo effect. Do those wristbands actually work?

My wife uses the bands and they always work for her but they never work for me .the only thing that ever works for me is Bonine.

Studies have shown that Sea bands (or their store brand or no name equivalents) had no better results than placebos. (About 50%). But even a placebo effect is still an effect - if it works for you, then it works for you. Similar studies on Relief bands showed that they worked somewhat better than placebos.

They don't work for me. Regular Dramamine makes me too sleepy. The patch caused some very unpleasant side effects when I tried them. I've used Bonine (Dramamine Less Drowsy/Meclizine) since then with excellent results and no identified side effects. I start at bedtime the night before the cruise and take one nightly thereafter. I only need a second one 12 hours later if we encounter heavy seas. Of course, individual results will vary.

The wrist bands work for me. I have used them during pregnancy for morning sickness, during chemotherapy, and on cruises. I have seen crew members were them on board as well. :) I think they are a small investment for something that may save your vacation. Try looking for the no-name brand at a drug store before you go.

The wrist bands work for me. I have used them during pregnancy for morning sickness, during chemotherapy, and on cruises. I have seen crew members were them on board as well. :) I think they are a small investment for something that may save your vacation. Try looking for the no-name brand at a drug store before you go.

Great ,but if you are a person for whom the bands do not work you will wait too long to take the Dramamine .

I take otc generic Bonine (max dose every 12 hours, as even though you can go 24 hours, I find half the dose every 12 hours is better) starting the night before the cruise. Then I put on the Seabands if it starts to get bumpy. I am very prone to severe motion sickness with every mode of transportation (even driving a car myself), and even with those precautions I sometimes still need to go to the cabin for a rest and eat bland/starchy foods when we have a full sea day and its rocking. I have never felt more than slightly ill when I combine the Bonine and Seabands though, so I do think they help, at least for me.

Often I find the anxiety about the motion sickness is worse than the actual symptoms themselves though! I have prescription nausea medication for migraine and it is useless for motion sickness. My doctor wouldn't prescribe the patches, said they were very prone to causing side effects (such as blurred vision and sedation), and weren't much more effective than the otc meds. I bought some of that Motion Ease to try next cruise.

I would urge anyone with a history of motion sickness to consider taking precautions, as once you start to feel sick, it can take awhile for anything to help.

Great ,but if you are a person for whom the bands do not work you will wait too long to take the Dramamine .

I don't know about Dramamine but I also take Gravol and it states it is for prevention and relief of nausea and vomiting. I used the bands because I didn't like the grogginess I felt with medications.

I've never experienced seasickness or motion sickness...so I don't use anything. Do you have a history of motion-related problems? You might want to wait and see how you do. Yes, once you're sick, it will take longer, but if you DON"T have issues, you'll be medicating for no reason....

It’s hard to know if the wristbands work when people say they use them and never had issues with seasickness. No way to know if they would have had issues without them.

I’m extremely prone to motion sickness and have used the patch and meclizine. I prefer the meclizine. OTC, doesn’t cause side effects for me, and take 1 pill twice a day. Still get a little queasy in rough seas but it’s waaaay better than without the meds.

It’s hard to know if the wristbands work when people say they use them and never had issues with seasickness. No way to know if they would have had issues without them.

I’m extremely prone to motion sickness and have used the patch and meclizine. I prefer the meclizine. OTC, doesn’t cause side effects for me, and take 1 pill twice a day. Still get a little queasy in rough seas but it’s waaaay better than without the meds.

What brand of meclizine do you use? I’m looking on amazon, and there’s a couple, but don’t know which one to choose.