North Korea Concerns and NCL Jewel March Sailing

dorika

Hi, I am curious if anyone else is starting to get very concerned about traveling to Korea/Japan area this spring. My husband and I have been looking forward to our 11 day Asian cruise itinerary via the NCL Jewel in mid-March (depart Hong Kong and cruise through China and Japan, arrive Tokyo), but NCL has already scrapped the Seoul, Korea stop and is now sending scary sounding insurance protection reminders ahead of our final payment deadline December 21.

Would you go on this cruise given the uncertain situation between the US and North Korea? I am Canadian and never imagined the US political scene could so quickly spiral to this point with your new president :(

I'd go because a million things could happen to you at home. If there is a war with North Korea it won't be safe to be at home either. When I think about cruises to Europe, I have to think about terrorism or crime, but I don't let that stop me.

It sounded like OP isn't from the U.S. in outlying the "concerns" vis-a-vis "your new president" ... well, not to hijack or spiral this discussion off tangent, but he ain't the one I voted for :mad: :rolleyes: :o either

That's besides the point ... NK's ICBM technologies do not, AFAIK, have sufficient accuracy to zero in on a cruise ship and/or targeted site with a high degree of precision. Nick named "Fat Boy" by our SK tour guide last Fall when we're touring the DMZ, just a hour's drive north of Seoul - he wouldn't dare to launch anything remotely near the China Seas and/or its coastal water, including Hong Kong SAR. The cancelled Port of Call to South Korea's coastal port (and/or Jeju Island resort) has more to do with disputes between China & SK than the military threats. Japan's SDF has been monitoring and watching its neighbor across the East Side but there is certainly a fractional chance of a launch that land or missed and hit one of the cities along the way.

To protect your cruise investment, do consider looking into a good trip interruption & travel insurance policy to cover, not necessary the one offered by NCL - do your own price match & due diligence to compare. Keep in mind that most, if not all, policies have exclusion and incidents related to war, civil unrest and terrorism aren't necessary covered.

We all only live once and if it is our time to go to meet our makers ... well, what a story that's going to be. Sit back, relax and enjoy, start the countdown - we would have no hesitation in going.

P.S. Norwegian Joy is doing its milky run weekly between Shanghai & Japan and there are great last-minute bargain prices for X'Mas & New Year ... not that we are interested in that ship and its onboard demographics to sail.

It is interesting to look at the maps of the area and the shipping routes of the Jewel.

We are in the April 1st cruise from Yokohama to Shanghai; no problems with that one as it won't go inside the Yellow Sea.

We are also on the return trip from Shanghai to Yokohama which will as it goes to Tianjin (Beijing) and Dalian. I wonder if there will be a massive itinerary change?

I'm not concerned. I'm going to be in Japan in the Spring. That's essentially the same danger zone.

Of all the places, I see Seoul as the most in danger, but from a conventional attack. Fat Boy isn't like some ISIS or Al Queda terrorist. He's a dictator of a country that's still technically at war. He's mostly mad at S. Korea and the US. That means more militaristic targets, not a cruise ship with a bunch of civilians. That said, China does NOT want a war and millions of refugees swarming its borders. They're just as likely to wipe him out if he does something really stupid. So, they'll likely let a conventional attack on Seoul slide (regular missiles, etc) and the only target worth attacking with regular payloads is Seoul.

Even then, he's gotta get something out of it. There has to be a point to an attack. Cuz there will be retaliation. Realistically, he's just going to keep pushing the edge and make his threats as frightening as possible to extract the most concessions for backing off. He doesn't have much to gain from actually attacking.

NCL sails to Japan every week with their newest, largest ship. Hasn't been sunk yet.

I totally agree but the cruises (EMBARK Shanghai (China); Nagasaki (Japan); Hakata (Fukuoka) (Japan); DISEMBARK Shanghai (China) OR EMBARK Shanghai (China); Kobe (Osaka) (Japan); Kochi(Japan); Hiroshima (Japan); DISEMBARK Shanghai (China)) do not go anywhere near the upper portion of the Yellow Sea which the Jewel will when it visits Tianjin and Dalian

Seriously, China would not allow Whacko Kim to mess up the entire hood and drag Beijing into a nuclear war. If push comes to shove, China will not hesitate to invade NK and replace Kim before things get totally out of hand. There is confirmed report that China has recently deployed new PLA troops along the Sino-NK border. So sit back, relax and let the garbage man takes care of his own garbage.

Looking at this another way:

Want to save money on bizclass flights from US to Sydney (and other points west)? Fly through a connection in Seoul (e.g., Asiana et al. Star Alliance partners). One-way bizclass fares currently running under $3k through next spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We live on Guam, a 3 hour flight from Korea and Japan. North Korea has been threatening to bomb us for YEARS. Not one of my military friends have relocated their families because of this years threats. For that mater none of my military friends have relocated their families stationed in South Korea. We continue to fly in and out of Soul in route to Europe and any where else with the best price, code share, etc...

If someone was to call me right now and say do you want to go to Jeju (South Korea), or Japan right now and they would pay for it I would go. Never mind that it is winter.

Yes there could be concerns by April we could be in the middle of a war. You have the Olympics in South Korea before that you will know how things are handled there. If it is too big of a concern don't go. But, as someone who lived in China for years, I wouldn't miss Beijing. You can go see Mao's body and experience the silence of Tiananmen square. Walk through the forbidden city before climbing up to the top of the hill and looking down over the city as a whole. You can go to the summer palace and see the beautiful lake that it is sat upon. If you have time a trip to the great wall. Experience a Chinese taxi, or their service didi similar to uber. I just booked my own trip to Hong Kong in February. I wouldn't worry right now your cruise is a long ways away.

I would be more worried about a dud missile hitting something on re-entry like the recent incident with Cathay

Pacific airlines.

That noted if China gets serious about sanctions NK is going to knuckle under in a hurry,

Also Mr. Fat Rocket Boy watch your health your medical days are numbered !

The Olympics are going to be the most heavily watched and armed to the teeth if NK tries anything.

OK back to cruising I am sure the cruise lines have security precautions in order with assistance of the

US Navy and SK navy.

I have not seen any promos or ads for cruise ships being deployed as floating hotels near SK !

Go ahead and enjoy your booked planned cruise !

We had an overnight in Haifa, if that is where they are stopping and it was a wonderful place, long day to go to Jerusalem though. We had the overnight as we missed a day stop in Port Said; northern Egypt was supposedly too dangerous

If in Haifa don't miss the Bahá’í Gardens, Yefe Nof Street, Haifa (Use the Carmelit). Go to the top and walk all the way down (NOT the other way!!!) and try to time it so you are able to go into the Shrine of the Bab.