Do we have to book specialty dining in advance?

Cozmic206

We're leaving Sunday on Escape to Bermuda. Wondering how the specialty dining works? Can we book it on the ship? We honestly have no game plan for sea days and just want to go with the flow so I was hoping I could just book reservations the day of if available.

Depending on the size of your party for dinner, it may be wise to book ahead of time. usually parties of two can get in almost any time. Parties of four can get in but times are more difficult to come by. Larger parties may be stuck dining either very early or very late.

It also depends on the time you want to dine.

I would always book a Specialty Restaurant as soon as you are able. You can always cancel and re-book when you board. BUT PLEASE cancel at least 24 hours before the time so the time can be given to someone else.

We're leaving Sunday on Escape to Bermuda. Wondering how the specialty dining works? Can we book it on the ship? We honestly have no game plan for sea days and just want to go with the flow so I was hoping I could just book reservations the day of if available.

Reservations opened 125 days ago. Online reservations are likely sold out for prime time.

Per other posts, you don’t have to make reservation if you are willing to take standby seats at 9:30 pm. Otherwise, head to Headliners as soon as you board on Sunday and make reservations.

Menus and pics can be found on my live post https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2624246

want to go with the flow - is going with the flow going to the theatre or entertainment on your agenda before

or after dining ?

Dining times before shows are generally difficult to get and in some cases right after shows too.

Eating real early or late does not seem to be a problem - but coordinating dining reservations with show

times demands booking early especially for large parties.

Careful with your dining reservations - allow for a relaxed dinner allowing for etc. the MDR having a large crowd

and the service is going to be slow.

Hard to tell you how you plan this - may have to have a few cruises to know what that flow is going to be.

Did you sign up for the M&G?

Reservations for this trip actually opened at closer to sailing for suites and non-suites than previously posted as the change was made right around then.

Getting what you want can vary. Teppanyaki the hardest and that should be booked asap once on board if you are going. Others will have more availability but things could get tight.

We always book our dining reservations as soon as NCL opens the dates. We have seen many people upset on the ship when they try to make a reservation, and find out the only open times are 8:30 or later. So if you really have your heart set on a certain restaurant at a certain time, I would book it now.

I was recently on the Epic, and our first night on board we decided at 7pm that the 3 of us wanted to eat at Teppanyaki. It was a 30 minute wait, no big deal to us. So as others have said, it depends on how big your party is and if you really have your heart set on a particular place.

I'm sure it's probably on other boats as well, but Epic had a nice little tv screen that listed all restaurant names and times in 30 min increments. Green dots meant there was no wait, yellow meant a little wait, and a red dot meant go somewhere else unless you have a reservation. You could always use this as a guide when trying to plan out your meals. Once you've decided on a place and ball park time, head there to see the wait - you could always sit and enjoy a drink and people watch while you're waiting.

We were on a “full” spring break cruise the week before Easter. We got reservations on board for Moderno for 10 people, Le Bistro for 4, and we called on the last day and got Cagney’s for 8 that night. Your mileage may vary, but I don’t think you need to book in advance.

We always book our dining reservations as soon as NCL opens the dates. We have seen many people upset on the ship when they try to make a reservation, and find out the only open times are 8:30 or later. So if you really have your heart set on a certain restaurant at a certain time, I would book it now.

Yes and especially for Cagneys or Teppenyaki.

Then again the LOCAL or O Sheehans is very good food and fun.

I agree make reservations on the first day. If you have a show that means a lot to you, do the buffet as more and more folks are doing this.

I recommend it, particularly at more popular venues like Cagney's. These restaurants fill up fast. Most of them you can probably get reservations same day if you are not picky about the time. Premium times have been much harder in my experience (6pm, 7pm, etc.). NCL ships have screens displaying dining room availability throughout the ship, so you can see where you've got a chance. If you want to go to Cagney's or Teppanyaki I strongly urge you to book before the cruise or on embarkation day.

We always book after boarding. You will not have as many selections of times but still you can get something with in your time range most likely. I do not like the idea of trying to book specialty dining rooms the actually day you would like to eat there. You are really taking a chance on getting a decent time.

What specialty restaurant are worth the up charge and which restaurant are great without paying the up charge? I’m thinking of the dining package but idk if it’s worth it

IMO, only Moderno has been worth the upcharge to me. We were not impressed with Cagney's or La Cucina, at least not enough to go back again.

What specialty restaurant are worth the up charge and which restaurant are great without paying the up charge? I’m thinking of the dining package but idk if it’s worth it

You will get a LOT of differing opinions on this! I have been to La Cucina on two separate ships and enjoyed both meals. I have been to Cagney's on the Gem and I thought it was quite good. And I have been to Moderno on the Escape and, it is definitely worth the up-charge, since the Brazilian steakhouse in my home town charges twice as much for the same thing.

Wasn't too impressed by La Cucina. I mean, it was OK-- but nothing special. The ambiance was a little too casual for a place with an upcharge. I don't recall any issues with the food, but I don't remember it being standout either.

Teppanaki however, I have been to on every cruise.

I am after some advice regarding the 3 meal UDP, when I look on the NCL site it states $69 for this, when I log into MyNCL to book it the price given is in GBP at £64.04 which at my credit cards exchange rate would be $84.62 this means NCL have an insane exchange rate.

Is there any way for me to just purchase it at the dollar price or am I just better off waiting until I get on the ship?

I am after some advice regarding the 3 meal UDP, when I look on the NCL site it states $69 for this, when I log into MyNCL to book it the price given is in GBP at £64.04 which at my credit cards exchange rate would be $84.62 this means NCL have an insane exchange rate.

Is there any way for me to just purchase it at the dollar price or am I just better off waiting until I get on the ship?

When you actually go to check out with it, they are including the service charge as well, which you would have to pay whether it be US Dollars or pounds. It's the same in the US. The price listed is $69, but at checkout they add the service charge, bringing the total up to about $85 per person.

Wasn't too impressed by La Cucina. I mean, it was OK-- but nothing special. The ambiance was a little too casual for a place with an upcharge. I don't recall any issues with the food, but I don't remember it being standout either.

Teppanaki however, I have been to on every cruise.

I agree. La Cucina is a restaurant I want to love. Its not bad but I just don't see the difference between the food there and the buffet or MDR. Its good but what I would expect at any MDR. Several years ago when La Cucina was only $10 it was an easy rationalization. Maybe being married to an Italian is the issue with me :o Every pasta dish there is boiled box pasta and can based sauce. Its good but not worth the upcharge IMHO. I suppose someone is going to chime in with their beef or fish dishes. I cant comment on those. I'm talking about their pasta dishes. I have had better pasta at the buffet. That is not a crack at La Cucina but a compliment to the buffet. Last time on Getaway the gnocchi in the MDR was much better than La Cucina. We complimented them about it and they looked at us like we had 2 heads :o

Back to the bookings. The only restaurants I would pre-book is Teppanyaki and Cagneys. Cagneys gets full pretty quick these days. Teppanyaki is limited space.

Cagneys, Le Bistro, Moderno. I typically love the upscale seafood choice, too. Bayamo is the one on the Escape which was not too crazy about but I think it was more because I was a little sea-sick the evening we had reservations.

Pinchos (tapas) and Food Republic have small plates so I wouldn't waste a package on them. We fell in love with these on the Escape - ended up skipping appetizer one night to get some tapas before our main course.

We only did the Italian restaurant once, I was pleasantly surprised.