Emergency back at home

Raycin

These are all great tips!! Never thought of using Facebook messenger. We are planning on getting the deluxe drink package. Next question...this is very VERY last minute. So last minute in fact that we’re finally pulling the trigger with our agent we found through ************* tonight. She’s holding a room for us so I’m not worried about that, but this cruise is literally less than 4 months away. Will we still be able to get deals through cruise planner?? And how about shows and restaurants? Do you think things are already booked up? Are we crazy booking last minute like this? It was such a good deal we can’t resist

Not too late to watch for deals. I purchased the Voom surf only package (don't need streaming unless you want to stream movies) last week for $9.99/day for our December sailing.

Grandparents love the grandkids more than they love you...no worries...they will handle whatever comes up! There is an "emergency" phone number they can call to get a message to you if there's something they can't handle. They need to know the ship name and cabin number and a message WILL be gotten to you!

Another option is to turn the phone on periodically and let it connect to cellular at sea to check for text messages. Received messages are fre on AT&T and $0.05 per message on Verizon.

To add to what Bob said, make absolutely sure that you have DATA ROAMING off!!! If you turn your cellphone on and it hooks up, it could go up and do some updating, get emails, etc. So keep DATA ROAMING off at all times. Then, like Bob said, you can turn your phone on throughout the day and check for texts. Then if it's an emergency, you can purchase 24 hours of internet, and if you've enabled "wifi calling" (something you should do anyway), put your phone back in "airplane mode" turn on "wifi," and make calls and texts for no charge.

Before we all had WiFi we left the kids with grandparents. Leave a notarized consent for grandparents to make medical decisions. We then left the number to contact us on the ship as described above.

They had to use it once when one of the kids stepped on something. No issues using it. We found out when we got home and the child did just fine without us.

We still unplug when we cruise and check email 2 days a week. Works for us.

To add to what Bob said, make absolutely sure that you have DATA ROAMING off!!! If you turn your cellphone on and it hooks up, it could go up and do some updating, get emails, etc. So keep DATA ROAMING off at all times. Then, like Bob said, you can turn your phone on throughout the day and check for texts. Then if it's an emergency, you can purchase 24 hours of internet, and if you've enabled "wifi calling" (something you should do anyway), put your phone back in "airplane mode" turn on "wifi," and make calls and texts for no charge.

I agree with this, and unfortunately have to add complexity here.

If cellular data is not functional, this will also disable MMS messaging. So it is important that everyone know to send SMS messages. This means no texts with photos or videos, or texts to multiple recipients (group messaging). For example, if someone at home sends a group message to someone on the ship with their cellular data disabled, the intended recipient will get no indication of a text.

I would still VERY much suggest using an internet based messenger like Facebook messenger, even if WiFi calling does work. Facebook messenger is much more reliable and you don't have to worry about failed messages, etc. As Bob pointed out, the person on the ship may or may not even get the message using regular texting. But if the message is sent via Facebook Messenger, then they will absolutely get the message if/when they are connected to the internet.

If your not going to enjoy your vacation thinking about it then buy a wifi package, so you can check email regularly. If you can relax knowing any true emergency will mean a shore to ship phone call, then just enjoy your vacation. Your comfort and ability to enjoy yourself is most important.

If you are on a private venue or in the middle of the ocean, the captain is not going to turn the ship around and take you to the nearest port. Your mother raised you I'm sure she can take care of a 12 year old grandson.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

What does that have to do with anything? You wouldn't want to know if your child was hurt or if there was an emergency? I'd want to know IMMEDIATELY so I can make arrangements... using my fancy Voom internet that was just used to notify me of the emergency, I'd be booking a flight from the next port of call or trying to make arrangements the best I could.

Before we all had WiFi we left the kids with grandparents. Leave a notarized consent for grandparents to make medical decisions. We then left the number to contact us on the ship as described above.

They had to use it once when one of the kids stepped on something. No issues using it. We found out when we got home and the child did just fine without us.

We still unplug when we cruise and check email 2 days a week. Works for us.

Yeah, but.... we have WiFi now.... So why would we do things as if we didn't?

I didn’t know it was that cheap. I thought it was closer to $20 a day for WiFi?? And can I text then or is that something I would have to contact my provider about?

Wifi will not allow you to text, it is for internet only. We have T-Mobile and just got back at the end of August from a Mediterranean cruise. We did have coverage in every country we visited (we never got better than 2G speed though). It was good enough to check emails and get text messages. For a true emergency though I would suggest that you give the grandparents contact info for Royal Caribbean and have them contact the cruise line. When you are sailing they should be able to find you on the ship. During the day your family should be able to reach you by phone or text. Perhaps they could do both.

2 years ago I was on a cruise with my sisters and our niece (another cruise line). My DH called the cruise line because our aunt has passed away and they tracked us down at dinner.

Wifi will not allow you to text, it is for internet only. We have T-Mobile and just got back at the end of August from a Mediterranean cruise. We did have coverage in every country we visited (we never got better than 2G speed though). It was good enough to check emails and get text messages. For a true emergency though I would suggest that you give the grandparents contact info for Royal Caribbean and have them contact the cruise line. When you are sailing they should be able to find you on the ship. During the day your family should be able to reach you by phone or text. Perhaps they could do both.

2 years ago I was on a cruise with my sisters and our niece (another cruise line). My DH called the cruise line because our aunt has passed away and they tracked us down at dinner.

WRONG.

If you have a smart phone, you can enable wifi calling, and then use wifi connection for phone calls, texts, and internet access.

I do this all over the world.

T-Mobile supports wifi calling (I am on T-Mobile). ATT and Verizon also do.

If you have an off plan, it may not be supported, or if you have a very old phone.

What does that have to do with anything? You wouldn't want to know if your child was hurt or if there was an emergency? I'd want to know IMMEDIATELY so I can make arrangements... using my fancy Voom internet that was just used to notify me of the emergency, I'd be booking a flight from the next port of call or trying to make arrangements the best I could.

Not really, I have 4 children so if one didn't survive while I was on the cruise that would seem like acceptable losses. ;p In truth, it might depend on which set of grandparents were watching the kids. My wife and I took a trip to Hawaii when my two oldest were very young. We received multiple calls per day about how to address very basic things. I think they volunteered to watch the kids, but then regretted it because I am sure they knew what to do in most of the cases. It didn't ruin our vacation, but was highly irritating.

Leave a notarized letter authorizing your parents to make medical decisions for your son. They can call the ship in case of emergency; it’s just super expensive. You can activate the daily vacation package if you have Verizon or ATT. You can get the Internet package onboard, so they can message or email you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums