Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:27 AM.
Scottsdale AZ
3,079 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
I have taken multiple upsells and have never lost a single perk. I also have copies of every single upsell offer - you definitely need to get ahold of your's to see if there's anything stated there about losing perks if you accept the offer. Either this was a one-off or a mistake. In any event your TA did you no favors if they knew the terms of the offer and didn't advise you of the ramifications of accepting the offer. I would definitely contact Princess to find out the whole story and what you can do to reinstate your perks. By the way, all of the Princess contacts are here, I think someone misstated Jan's email address above: http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/princess/ .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pre mid 1990's - a dozen or so cruises on Princess, Carnival, etc. Rediscovered cruising in 2008 and here's our roster since then:
Carnival Freedom – 09/2008 Mediterranean
Caribbean Princess – 12/2013 New Year's Western Caribbean * 05/2014 Western Caribbean
Coral Princess – 02/2016 Panama Canal Partial Transit * 05/2016 Celebrating Retirement Mini Coastal Cruise
Diamond Princess – 01/2013 Auckland to Sydney
Emerald Princess – 12/2010 Christmas Eastern Caribbean * 10/2014 Canary Islands & Madeira * 02/2015 Western Caribbean * 10/2017 Mexican Riviera
Golden Princess – 06/2008 Alaska Inside Passage RT Seattle
Grand Princess – 05/2009 Iberian Interlude RT Southampton
* 08/2018 Alaska Inside Passage RT San Francisco
Island Princess – 02/2009 Panama Canal Partial Transit
Regal Princess – 11/2016 Eastern Caribbean * 12/2017 Eastern Caribbean Medallion Preview
Royal Princess – 10/2015 & 01/2017 Southern Caribbean Medley
Star Princess – 05/2010 Baltic / Scandinavia / Russia * 10/2011 Greek Isles Venice to Rome * 12/2012 Around the Horn Valparaiso to Rio de Janeiro * 03/2013 Valparaiso to Los Angeles * 08/2015 Southbound Alaska * 08/2016 & 05/2017 Denali Explorer Land Tour + Southbound Alaska

Upcoming:
October 5, 2018 - Viking Longship Mani - Amsterdam to Basel for first river cruise
December 8, 2018 - Royal Princess - Western Caribbean
January 19, 2019 - Sapphire Princess - Roundtrip Singapore - Moveover cruise #1
July 13, 2019 - Royal Princess - Southbound Alaska - Moveover cruise #2
October 20, 2019 - Sky Princess - Inaugural Mediterranean
January 5, 2020 - Coral Princess - Antarctica and Cape Horn
San Francisco Bay Area
8,153 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Did you upgrade or accept an upsell? It has always been my understanding that the upsells allow you to keep your perks whereas, if you found an upgrade to a better cabin at a good price, you would only be given whatever offer is currently available. I would call back until I got my old deal back or if they reinstated your perks. Many times, I've called down there and got one answer and called back and got a completely different resolution. Tell them you are sorry for having to keep calling back but you are just asking for what is right. Best of luck ... come back and let us know how it all worked out. Fingers crossed for you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise Raider
Brickell, Miami FL & Naples, FL
8,401 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Originally posted by azbirdmom
I have taken multiple upsells and have never lost a single perk. I also have copies of every single upsell offer - you definitely need to get ahold of your's to see if there's anything stated there about losing perks if you accept the offer. Either this was a one-off or a mistake. In any event your TA did you no favors if they knew the terms of the offer and didn't advise you of the ramifications of accepting the offer. I would definitely contact Princess to find out the whole story and what you can do to reinstate your perks. By the way, all of the Princess contacts are here, I think someone misstated Jan's email address above: http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/princess/ .
The princess.com email is also hers and will get through to her department, I just used it a couple of months ago and got a phone call in response.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carolyn

Disney Wonder 7/19/02~Bahamas ---- Disney Wonder 1/5/03~Bahamas
Disney Magic 6/7/03~W. Caribbean ---- Disney Magic 1/3/04~W. Caribbean
Golden Princess 10/24/04~S. Caribbean --- Golden Princess 7/11/05~N. European Capitals
Star Princess 3/19/06 (the infamous fire cruise) ~ Western Caribbean
Disney Wonder 7/23/06~Bahamas ---- Crown Princess 11/4/06~S. Caribbean
Crown Princess 3/31/07~S. Caribbean ---- Crown Princess 3/29/08~S. Caribbean
Crown Princess 4/5/09~E. Caribbean ---- Crown Princess 10/30/10~Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 11/12/11~S. Caribbean ---- Norwegian Sky 9/3/12~Bahamas
Majesty of the Seas RCL 1/11/13~Bahamas --- Majesty of the Seas RCL 8/19/13~Bahamas
Ruby Princess 1/18/14~W. Caribbean ---- Ruby Princess 1/23/14~W. Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 9/25/14 ~ Princess Cay --- Regal Princess 11/6/14 ~ Caribbean
Regal Princess 11/9/14 ~ E. Caribbean --Norwegian Sky 2/13/15 ~ Bahamas
Regal Princess 4/12/15 ~ Caribbean --- Emerald Princess 3/5/16 ~ Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway 9/2/16 --- Regal Princess 11/27/16~Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway 4/16/17 ~ W Caribbean --- Regal Princess 12/3/17 ~ Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 2/18/18 ~ W Caribbean

Regal Princess 1/13/19 ~ W Caribbean
Sky Princess 1/11/20 ~ E Caribbean

Los Angeles Ca.
5,957 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
I do not do facebook and after the recent revelations about privacy don't care to start now. My TA and I spent over an hour and got through to resolutions as I've stated. There is no written documentation so that's not a viable option.
IT WAS and upsell not a refare or price drop. I am totally jaded after spending several days over this on the phone with Princess and then the TA who is not the problem or the issue.
I will resolve the gratuity issue by removing my gratuity on board and no I won't feel guilt about it.
I have other cruise lines I like better but since they run three times the fare of Princess I will only use them once a year. I will start to look at Celebrity more and Princess less if Princess they can't get their policy more consistent
I'm thinking they don't really need my generation (early 60's) who although book suites do not spend a significant amount on board. I don't drink more then an occasional glass of wine and only take maybe 1 of their shore excursions and do the rest on my own. I'm no longer the demographic they seek to retain.
Resolution told the TA you loose your perks with an upsell, that's what happened twice.Once yesterday and again today.
27,076 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by cruzsnooze
I will resolve the gratuity issue by removing my gratuity on board and no I won't feel guilt about it.
Wow - punish the cruise line by refusing to tip the person who probably gets paid the least and works the hardest. No matter how upset I would be at the cruise line, I would never with hold tips from a room steward who cleans my room 2x a day and probably works 10 plus hours per day for 6 plus months at a time with out a day off.

Upsells usually come as written documentation. I am surprised at this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me

Next: Crystal Mozart Christmas Markets
Newbury Park, CA
2,975 Posts
Joined May 2007
I think the TA messed up big time. You don't lose your perks when accepting an upsell. If this is a "new policy" not many would pay more for an upsell AND lose their perks. Something went wrong with the TA.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Elation 4/99 Mexico
Diamond Princess 1/07 Mexico

RCI Monarch 4/07 Baja Mexico
Carnival Pride 10/07 Mexico
Carnival Paradise 12/07 Baja Mexico
Carnival Spirit 2/08 Exotic Mexico
MS DixieII 8/08 Emerald Bay Lake Tahoe
Sapphire Princess 11/08 Mexico Thanksgiving
Carnival Spirit 1/09 Exotic Mexico
Carnival Splendor 8/09 Mexico
RCI Radiance 11/09 Mexico Thanksgiving
RCI Radiance 4/10 Mexico
NCL Pearl 8/10 Alaska
RCI Mariner 11/10 Mexico Thanksgiving
Carnival Spirit 12/10 Mexico New Years
Norwegian Star 4/11 Mexico
Carnival Spirit 8/11 Alaska
Carnival Spirit 11/11 Mexico Thanksgiving
Carnival Spirit 3/12 Mexico
NCL Gem 8/12 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 11/12 Mexico Thanksgiving
Carnival Splendor 12/12 Mexico Happy New Year
Sapphire Princess 3/13 Mexico
NCL Pearl 7/13 Alaska
Carnival Miracle 11/13 Mexico Thanksgiving
Crown Princess 4/14 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Freedom 7/14 Southern Caribbean

Carnival Miracle 11/14 Mexico Thanksgiving
Golden Princess 4/15 Sea of Cortez

Carnival Magic 8/15 Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 11/15 Mexico Thanksgiving
Crown Princess 3/16 California Coastal
Carnival Legend 8/16 Alaska
Carnival Miracle 11/16 Mexico Thanksgiving
Ruby Princess 4/17 Mexico
NCL Escape 8/17 Western Caribbean
Ruby Princess 3/18 California Coastal
8,401 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Do you have the upsell email/offer from Princess? I worked with a TA on all of the them and she forwarded me the emails since they went to her first.

I just pulled up one of my old offers and this was on the bottom as part of the upsell. You get the promotions that you had based on what you booked and paid for prior to purchasing this exclusive upgrade offer.
Is this no longer on the bottom of the upsell email? I cut and pasted it below.

Upgrade cost is in addition to the fare already paid and is per person and based on double occupancy. Single occupancy pays 200%. Travel Protection premium may increase, if previously purchased. Offer is applicable to the guests named on this notification who are currently booked in the categories listed above. Guests booked in other stateroom categories are not eligible for this offer. This offer is capacity controlled and based on availability. Future Cruise Deposit program Onboard Credit (OBC) does not increase as a result of acceptance of this offer. If the promotion you are booked on has varying amenities by stateroom type, the amenities provided will be based on the category booked and paid for prior to purchasing this exclusive upgrade offer.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carolyn

Golden Princess 10/24/04~S. Caribbean --- Golden Princess 7/11/05~N. European Capitals
Crown Princess 4/5/09~E. Caribbean ---- Crown Princess 10/30/10~Western Caribbean
Majesty of the Seas RCL 1/11/13~Bahamas --- Majesty of the Seas RCL 8/19/13~Bahamas
Caribbean Princess 9/25/14 ~ Princess Cay --- Regal Princess 11/6/14 ~ Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway 4/16/17 ~ W Caribbean --- Regal Princess 12/3/17 ~ Western Caribbean

Vancouver, B.C.
2,705 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
I
While I understand your frustration over all of this, the room steward and dining staff have nothing to do with this issue whatsoever.

As mentioned above, I would keep at Princess until this was fixed. Something has gone terribly wrong here and I wouldn't let it be. Facebook problems aside, social media can work wonders to rectify problems.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruises I have loved… Emerald Princess, Amazing 30 Day South America, Feb/18; Celebrity Equinox, Southern Caribbean, Oct/18; RCL Serenade of the Seas, Caribbean, Dec/16; RCL Enchantment of the Seas, Bahamas, Nov/16; RCL Jewel of the Seas, Pacific Coastal, Sept/15; Celebrity Solstice, Hawaii-Vancouver, Apr/15; Celebrity Century, "Quest for Clamato" Alaska, June/14; Grand Princess, the line-up cruise, Vancouver-Seattle, May/14; Celebrity Century, California Coastal, Mar/14; Celebrity Solstice, America's Cup/Wine Cruise, Sept/13; Celebrity Eclipse, Southern Caribbean, Apr/13; Diamond Princess, Southbound Alaska, Aug/12; Celebrity Solstice, Western Caribbean, Mar/12; Carnival Freedom, Caribbean, Feb/12; HAL Zaandam, Coastal, May/11; Celebrity Constellation, Caribbean Feb/11; Carnival Splendor, the Powerless, Adrift-at-Sea Cruise Nov/10; Ruby Princess, Caribbean Mar/10; HAL Zaandam, Coastal Oct/09; Grand Princess, Caribbean Mar/09; Celebrity Millenium, Coastal, Sep/08; HAL Oosterdam, Coastal, Apr/08; Azamara Quest, Caribbean Feb/08; Sea Princess, Caribbean Mar/07; Carnival Spirit, Mexico, Dec/06; Celebrity Constellation, Caribbean, Oct/05; Celebrity Mercury, Mexico Mar/05; Carnival Holiday, Caribbean, Oct/04; Cunard Crew Member - “Good Times” - 1987-1989
14,312 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
I'm sorry, but something is very wrong here. How did your TA learn about the offer if not thru an e-mail? And if an e-mail was sent, the TA should have a copy of it which could be forwarded to you!
1,461 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by Coral
Wow - punish the cruise line by refusing to tip the person who probably gets paid the least and works the hardest. No matter how upset I would be at the cruise line, I would never with hold tips from a room steward who cleans my room 2x a day and probably works 10 plus hours per day for 6 plus months at a time with out a day off.
Agree 100%, please don't screw the crew.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Kids waking up DW prior to muster drill (she didn't know they were coming!) and more Alaska fun:

Chelsea MA
5,374 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Originally posted by moki'smommy
This is wrong. You are supposed to keep all your perks when you accept an upsell!
Hi Moki,
I totally agree with you. So I call my TA to check and she said Princess changed there policy.
You will lose your perks if you accept an up-sell. My TA said she would have told me not to take that up-sell.
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Los Angeles Ca.
5,957 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
I will call one more time tomorrow. The upsell was not in writing, it was over the phone.
Since my gratuity was already included in my promo I am not going to double pay, that's how I feel and YMMV. The crew gets paid the same regardless of your leaving or removing tips since it doesn't all go to them anyway. That topic has been beaten to death and I've written my information on those threads. After tomorrow I am not going to pursue it further, hours and hours on hold and the frustration aren't worth it to me. I will come back and post what happens.
27,076 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
I will call one more time tomorrow. The upsell was not in writing, it was over the phone.
Since my gratuity was already included in my promo I am not going to double pay, that's how I feel and YMMV. The crew gets paid the same regardless of your leaving or removing tips since it doesn't all go to them anyway. That topic has been beaten to death and I've written my information on those threads. After tomorrow I am not going to pursue it further, hours and hours on hold and the frustration aren't worth it to me. I will come back and post what happens.
Your issue is with your travel agent which is pretty much an order taker.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me

Next: Crystal Mozart Christmas Markets
8,401 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Ask your TA where the email is. Unless they changed the way they do it completely from February, it would be a huge change for there not to be one. You can't be the only one who received the upsell, so did they call your TA and leave a message about your offer?

This really is a terrible change to their upsell program.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carolyn

862 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
I'd ask to see the email the TA received. It almost sounds like she re-fared you (where you would lose your perks) instead of processing it as an upsell.

I received an upsell offer this week and it doesn't say anything about losing my perks. In fact it specifically states that I keep the amenities based on the cabin I originally booked. The fine print states:

Upgrade cost is in addition to the fare already paid and is per person and based on double occupancy. Single occupancy pays 200%. Travel Protection premium may increase, if previously purchased. Offer is applicable to the guests named on this notification who are currently booked in the categories listed above. Guests booked in other stateroom categories are not eligible for this offer. This offer is capacity controlled and based on availability. Future Cruise Deposit program Onboard Credit (OBC) does not increase as a result of acceptance of this offer.
If the promotion you are booked on has varying amenities by stateroom type, the amenities provided will be based on the category booked and paid for prior to purchasing this exclusive upgrade offer.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Deb
CRUISING & CRAFTING. What else is there?
8,401 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Originally posted by idahospud
I'd ask to see the email the TA received. It almost sounds like she re-fared you (where you would lose your perks) instead of processing it as an upsell.

I received an upsell offer this week and it doesn't say anything about losing my perks. In fact it specifically states that I keep the amenities based on the cabin I originally booked. The fine print states:

Upgrade cost is in addition to the fare already paid and is per person and based on double occupancy. Single occupancy pays 200%. Travel Protection premium may increase, if previously purchased. Offer is applicable to the guests named on this notification who are currently booked in the categories listed above. Guests booked in other stateroom categories are not eligible for this offer. This offer is capacity controlled and based on availability. Future Cruise Deposit program Onboard Credit (OBC) does not increase as a result of acceptance of this offer.
If the promotion you are booked on has varying amenities by stateroom type, the amenities provided will be based on the category booked and paid for prior to purchasing this exclusive upgrade offer.
So that's the same email that I have always gotten!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carolyn

Chico, California
11,842 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
I think the clue lies in the phrase, "my big box TA". They aren't noted for doing anything for the customer except giving good OBC. A good TA would never let this happen. I know mine wouldn't. I would send email to [email protected]princesscruises.com which is an address that has gotten me follow up phone calls. I think this is crap and your TA likely blew it and is giving you a BS story to try to cover themselves. Don't just let the TA handle it anymore. If you call Princess and the phone menu asks if you are working with a TA say NO and get a real person to talk with rather than a message saying they can't help you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

Toronto, Canada
4,504 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by Coral
Wow - punish the cruise line by refusing to tip the person who probably gets paid the least and works the hardest. ...
Time honored tradition in service industries. Enough people do this and pretty soon the cruise line can't get staff. Something has to change.
Palmdale, Ca
36,584 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Just today I found out that the upsell I took lost my perks, So I paid an extra $2100 for the upgrade and lost hundreds in OBC and Gratuity on the 3 for free so the upgrade was more like $3000. So sorry I took it now. $3000 for a 12 day cruise is not what I would have accepted.
It used to be you kept the promo you booked with. They should have stated they changed the policy.
I plan to remove my gratuity on this voyage since I booked with it paid - and there's nothing I can do about the lost OBC. Resolutions were unable to help me, my big box TA called them.
If you booked with the AIBP that's a big loss on top of the upsell costs so consider carefully what the actual costs will be and make an informed decision.
I've accepted two upsells and kept my perks both times. Hope everything works out for you.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Sky Princess Med-T/A 11/19
Future: RCCL Symphony OTS E Caribbean 09/19
Future: Ruby Princess California Coastal 03/19
Future: Star Princess Hawaii 11/18
Pacific Princess Panama Canal 05/17
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 First Princess Elite Cruise
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15
Royal Princess Med-T/A 10/13 - Inaugural T/A Crossing