Do you pay for the tips when you make your initial booking?

cocomango

We've been on 5 Carnival cruises. The past 2 times we've booked, once through AAA and once while in the ship, we were asked if we wanted to prepay the tips when we made our initial booking.

Why would I want to pay for tips one year before I actually get the service?

Do people really do this?

If you prepay, they are included in your final balance but it doesn’t increase your deposit amount. I like paying them with the final balance because I look at it as part of our cruise cost and like to have it taken care of.

Everyone has their own opinion on what works best for their family and they are all right [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've been on 5 Carnival cruises. The past 2 times we've booked, once through AAA and once while in the ship, we were asked if we wanted to prepay the tips when we made our initial booking.

You can but you don't have to.

I prefer to prepay for everything I possibly can because I can’t afford to get hit with a big bill at the end of the cruise. Prepayment eliminates that anxiety so I can enjoy my vacation.

Yep, I prepay as well. I pay for the cruise, tips, and Trip insurance for my 81 year old Mom (if she's with us) all before the cruise. I don't feel the tips we have prepaid are out of line. We have always paid extra to our dining room staff too. Why? Because we have yet, in all our cruises, been given a terrible team. Just the opposite :D

Out of your 5 cruises, have you been happy with the service you've received? Were there any serious problems/issues that made you NOT leave a tip on those previous cruises? I am surprised by your question(s). You are a fairly experienced cruiser and know what to expect and how hard EVERYONE on the ship works for the passengers. And, of course, even thinking of mentioning tips on CC, is an open door for tons of opinions.

We consider gratuities to be part of the cruise fare and try to prepay everything we can prior to the cruise. This minimizes the sticker shock and worries about money while on the cruise. We've been on 4 carnival cruises and have never experienced an issue that would make us consider reducing them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always prepay our gratuities, one less thing I have to pay for at cruise time. This year I am glad I did since our Canadian $$ tanked not long after I booked an paid for our cruise !! I like to have as much pre paid as possible. I've already ordered some beverages to be in our cabin, wi fi and excursions I will put cash on my account and wont have to worry about any credit card charges when we get home.

It's no different than paying for the cruise before you go on it. The people that do pay for them ahead of time just consider it part of the cruise and want it all paid off before they cruise. One way or another, you are going to pay for the tips unless you have them removed which is not a good thing to do.

I have not read any of your relies back as yet, but this is what we do. I do not prepay the tips ahead of time, but do pay at the end. I then get the small envelopes at the Pursers Desk, and give cash to those who we feel deserve a little more from us.:)

We did prepay the auto gratuities once, but that was because Carnival had let it be known that the amount was going to increase by a certain date. Other than that one time, we don't prepay the gratuities. I don't think prepaying has any effect on the level of service given. I don't quite understand those that say they prepay their travelers insurance. Of course a person would purchase insurance prior to embarkation. I doubt that anyone would wait until after the cruise has begun to decide they need to buy insurance. Since neither my wife nor I have pre-existing conditions, we typically wait until about 30 days prior to our sailing date to get the insurance. But, to each his own.

I prepay the tips so I don't have to deal with them later. It's one more thing I can pay off before my cruise. Since it's something I will do anyway, it's easier to just get it over with.

I feel the same way. I like to pay as much as I can before we cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did prepay the auto gratuities once, but that was because Carnival had let it be known that the amount was going to increase by a certain date. Other than that one time, we don't prepay the gratuities. I don't think prepaying has any effect on the level of service given. I don't quite understand those that say they prepay their travelers insurance. Of course a person would purchase insurance prior to embarkation. I doubt that anyone would wait until after the cruise has begun to decide they need to buy insurance. Since neither my wife nor I have pre-existing conditions, we typically wait until about 30 days prior to our sailing date to get the insurance. But, to each his own.

I buy insurance before final payment in case I need it. Once you hit penalty phase if something happens you can’t get the insurance to pay retroactively. I don’t have any pre existing conditions either and I am young, however you never know what could pop up. If I’m paying the same for it either way, I might as well have the coverage for as long as possible.

We try to do pre-pay so we don't incur a hit to our OBC as soon as we embark. We'd like to know that our cruise cash will be used for the things we want to pay for during the cruise. I haven't read all the responses yet, but I'd be surprised if someone doesn't comment on how they don't pre-pay, so as to avoid removing tips later on for bad service (which we've not experienced yet).

I like to hang on to my money as long as possible so I pay my grats automatically, but while onboard. I have never paid them before sailing and have never had a complaint.

As far as insurance... remember that the advantage of a "pre-existing waiver" does not only include yourself, but also any non traveling family member that you are covered for as well. If there is any chance at all that you might miss your cruise because of the health of a family member with a pre-existing condition that adds extra value to your waiver.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

As far as insurance... remember that the advantage of a "pre-existing waiver" does not only include yourself, but also any non traveling family member that you are covered for as well. If there is any chance at all that you might miss your cruise because of the health of a family member with a pre-existing condition that adds extra value to your waiver.

Thanks, I did not realize that. Not an issue at the moment, but both our parents are getting up there so this could come into play at some point. I usually buy insurance on the same day I make the final payment, which is usually a couple weeks in advance of the deadline.

I also pay grats when they are billed on the ship. I don't see any reason to pay them in advance, and in fact I'd be quite happy to pay the captain, hotel director, CD, etc... all those salaries at the same time as we pay the housekeeping and wait staff salaries. It just seems fair to me. :D