Can we talk sandwiches?

SeaScout

Just off the Conquest last Saturday. Tried the new sandwiches at the Deli. Didn't like them. Tried to like them. Just didn't. :loudcry::loudcry:I know. Not the end of the world. Not a big deal. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda. But, Cmon, how do they manage to ruin something as simple as a sandwich? :mad::mad::mad:

First, I'm Platinum so I think I can accurately judge the "sandwiches that were" vs. "The sandwiches we have today". We certainly didn't starve on board, had a great cruise all around, enjoyed ourselves. Just didn't like the sandwiches as much as we liked the sandwiches of yesteryear.

We had a total of 4 sandwiches all week. We ate 1 and 1/2 of them.

Tuna sandwich - Ate 1/2. Icky brown fishy smelling Tuna. No Mayo.

Turkey wrap. - It was made fresh but again no mayo? It had mustard. We ate it but never ordered another one.

Pastrami - Gross. Big thick slab of 3/4 fat meat? Took one taste. Nope, not eating that.

Beef Jerky (special of the day) - Again gross. Big hunks of fatty beef in a Jerky sauce, on a pretzel bun. Just not good. didn't eat it.

And, the way they take orders and make the sandwiches. :rolleyes: They ask 6 people what they want, slap Pre-made sandwiches onto a cookie sheet, and pop them into an industrial toaster oven. Followed by confusion as 6 couples all via for the sandwiches at the same time.

I longed for the days of a Turkey Reuben on Rye, grilled in a press, with those cute little grill lines.

What I didn't like is when you request something a bit different from the pre-made, they grumbled and heehawed and made it sound like it was a HUGE deal to have one made different in the kitchen. I don't care, I know what I like and I'll happily wait. Just don't rub my face in it please.

We had the new sandwiches on the Glory a few months ago. Huge disappointment, what a cluster ---- and such crappy pre-made sandwiches. Definitely another cutback in quality and substance. Attached is a picture of the chicken sandwich. Before the cheerleaders jump in and say well you could've asked for more chicken or sandwiches. Well when it's all covered up and you return to the table it's kind of too late. Unless you're the pushy type and would barge back into the front of the line... Pretty sad looking sandwich but has followed Carnival's course the last few years.

20180131_131158.thumb.jpg.de93138dc529bc05c25f3518adca9f1a.jpg

What I didn't like is when you request something a bit different from the pre-made, they grumbled and heehawed and made it sound like it was a HUGE deal to have one made different in the kitchen. I don't care, I know what I like and I'll happily wait. Just don't rub my face in it please.

That's odd. I was on the Miracle and made up sandwiches and the servers never complained once. My favorite concoction was a blt with turkey and pastrami. Talk about a heart attack waiting to happen!!!

There was a long thread on this not long ago. They made a huge mistake eliminating the panini presses. The pre made sandwiches have backfired in their face. It's been discussed ad nauseum on John Heald's page. Forcing condiments on people, especially the wrong condiments was the biggest issue at the Deli. The new Cuban Sandwich is very good, it would be excellent pressed. Turkey just does not go with mustard, sorry mustard people. Turkey is served with mayo, period. I asked the cook which deli he liked better and they all said the old way, why? Everyone asks for something different anyway. I disagree with the OP on the Pastrami, although you might be shot serving pastrami with tomato in N.Y. I thought the pastrami was excellent, pastrami is fatty if you use the brisket, not the round, which isn't pastrami. Also to the OP, just ask, I had a turkey on a roll with mayo, no mustard. I had the pastrami, extra meat, no tomato, not toasted, no problem.

Just off the Conquest last Saturday. Tried the new sandwiches at the Deli. Didn't like them. Tried to like them. Just didn't. :loudcry::loudcry:I know. Not the end of the world. Not a big deal. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda. But, Cmon, how do they manage to ruin something as simple as a sandwich? :mad::mad::mad:

First, I'm Platinum so I think I can accurately judge the "sandwiches that were" vs. "The sandwiches we have today". We certainly didn't starve on board, had a great cruise all around, enjoyed ourselves. Just didn't like the sandwiches as much as we liked the sandwiches of yesteryear.

We had a total of 4 sandwiches all week. We ate 1 and 1/2 of them.

Tuna sandwich - Ate 1/2. Icky brown fishy smelling Tuna. No Mayo.

Turkey wrap. - It was made fresh but again no mayo? It had mustard. We ate it but never ordered another one.

Pastrami - Gross. Big thick slab of 3/4 fat meat? Took one taste. Nope, not eating that.

Beef Jerky (special of the day) - Again gross. Big hunks of fatty beef in a Jerky sauce, on a pretzel bun. Just not good. didn't eat it.

And, the way they take orders and make the sandwiches. :rolleyes: They ask 6 people what they want, slap Pre-made sandwiches onto a cookie sheet, and pop them into an industrial toaster oven. Followed by confusion as 6 couples all via for the sandwiches at the same time.

I longed for the days of a Turkey Reuben on Rye, grilled in a press, with those cute little grill lines.

Go on an older ship.

Seascout, maybe next time go meatless.

Try the meatless option — called the falafel wrap.

I thought it had too much onion the first time so I gave it another chance and requested no onion and it was great !

Very crunchy and flavorful and surprisingly filling.

Go on an older ship.

I was on the Fascination last week, and this was the first time I didn't get the deli. I hope I didn't miss my chance forever to get their pastrami :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry::loudcry::'):(

You're preaching to the choir with that statement. But, with other available free included options being

1. Mongolian Wok at Jiji's, 2. Pasta Bar at Cucina del Capitano, 3. Burrito at Blue Iguana, 4. Burger at Guy's 5. Pizza and on sea days.....6. Salad Creations at Serenity, 7. Sea Day Brunch in MDR and 8. Buffet style lunch at Guy's BBQ, we certainly will not go hungry on our two upcoming Horizon cruises.

. Forcing condiments on people, especially the wrong condiments was the biggest issue at the Deli. The new Cuban Sandwich is very good, it would be excellent pressed. Turkey just does not go with mustard, sorry mustard people.

I agree about forcing condiments on people. Food preferences are very subjective. That's why I probably won't be having most of the new items from the new deli menu. I don't eat mayo. Sorry mayo people, Turkey goes better with mustard (preferably a flavored mustard), not mayo. :D

There was a long thread on this not long ago. They made a huge mistake eliminating the panini presses. The pre made sandwiches have backfired in their face. It's been discussed ad nauseum on John Heald's page. Forcing condiments on people, especially the wrong condiments was the biggest issue at the Deli. The new Cuban Sandwich is very good, it would be excellent pressed. Turkey just does not go with mustard, sorry mustard people. Turkey is served with mayo, period....

I agree with your take on the deli's changes in general, and even agree about mustard, but I think mayo is the worst creation ever. ;)Either way, A good vinaigrette, oil and vinegar, or even plain old Italian dressing is what I prefer on turkey. Though I am sure pre-made sandwiches move people along faster, I wonder about food waste as people realize their sandwich is not what they were craving, chuck it, and get something else, where made to order would waste fewer ingredients and food actually being consumed.

I agree with your take on the deli's changes in general, and even agree about mustard, but I think mayo is the worst creation ever.

Mayo and hot weather don't mix. Folks from the cooler climates may not realize it, but out in hot weather it goes bad quick. Maybe it is just too much hassle or risk of spoilage.

I ran into the same problem, sandwiches on the Conquest made 'their way'!

So, I asked for a tuna on rye, the answer given me was we don't have tuna on rye, so I asked what do you have on rye.

The answer was a meat I didn't want(forget what it was), so I said, give me one of those, take off the meat, and put a scoop of tuna on it!

The guy behind the counter did it, wasn't happy about it, but I wasn't questioned the rest of the cruise if I wanted it MY WAY!!!:D

BTW agree the press was better then the new oven!