A bag of ashes NOT spread from the ship.

Tatsnflowers

Hi all.

I will be taking my first cruise in about a week and was wondering if I could bring a bag of human ashes. He never had an urn... just a plastic baggy inside a crown royal bag. I can't afford an urn and it would be kind of pointless because his ashes were divided into 6 smaller bags. Anyway, my late boyfriend would have loved to see the beaches. I want to bring his ashes off the ship and spread a pinch at each destination. So I guess my question is, do I need the certificates to bring him and can I take him off the ship (then get back on) at each port without issues?

Edited by Tatsnflowers
Added

Hi all.

I will be taking my first cruise in about a week and was wondering if I could bring a bag of human ashes. My late boyfriend would have loved to see the beaches. I want to bring his ashes off the ship and spread a pinch at each destination. So I guess my question is, do i need the certificates to bring him and can I take him off the ship (then get back on) without issues?

I don't know the legalities, but my husband did the same thing with his mom without issues. He spread her ashes at numerous beaches in the Caribbean 10 years ago

You might want to do an online search regarding legal restrictions on the scattering of ashes for each of your ports. Some places are more particular than others regarding the disposition of cremains. You don't want to find yourself in legal trouble if you're seen and reported.

On a personal level, there's a huge ick factor in thinking that I may be lying on part of Uncle Bob or Grandma Mabel, and not the sand I had been hoping for.

You might want to do an online search regarding legal restrictions on the scattering of ashes for each of your ports. Some places are more particular than others regarding the disposition of cremains. You don't want to find yourself in legal trouble if you're seen and reported.

On a personal level, there's a huge ick factor in thinking that I may be lying on part of Uncle Bob or Grandma Mabel, and not the sand I had been hoping for.

You never know what was laying in the sand before you got there[emoji41]

Carnival will assist people in scattering ashes at sea. There's a page here on the Carnival website with details. One of the points is that the ashes are scattered at least 12 miles away from land and that there are laws regarding the disposal of human remains that vary from country to country.

On the other hand, a friend of mine recently returned from a trip to the Holy Land. He took a bit of another friend's ashes to put in the River Jordan.

Spreading ash on the dry sand would be a shameful thing to do if it was where kids might sit in the sand or others lay. Legality aside, spreading them in an area apart from human activity would be ok in my opinion. I would however, keep it to myself.

Edited by JMorris271

Bluntly put, cremated remains are essentially elemental calcium with some other trace elements and are certainly soluable in sea water.

Most US jurisdictions ban their disposal less than three miles off shore, and it may be assumed that comparable restrictions might be encountered in Caribbean, and other, locations.

It is obviously advisable to ignore, rather than comply with, such restrictions --- which mindlessly disregard the realities (as well as many spiritual considerations) in efforts to pay attention to what has been here referred to as "ick factor" concerns. People seem more concerned about the possibility of touching some elemental calcium which once might have been part of a human bone than they are about the much greater likelihood of touching some not-fully-digested kibble which has passed through some dog's intestine.

Thought 1: Often you'll see palm trees /landscaping near the beaches. I'd lean towards spreading a bit of ash in those areas rather than actually IN the sand.

Thought 2: I'd consider switching the ashes into a different outer bag ... because IF they were to hand-search your bag as you board the ship they'll focus on the Crown Royal bag (thinking it's liquor). If I were you, I just wouldn't want to attract any attention to the fact I was carrying ashes.

Thought 3: If you're going to divide these ashes between, say, three beaches, I'd go ahead -- at home -- and divide the ashes into three smaller ziplock bags. This means you wouldn't need to carry ashes off /back on the ship. You'd spread the ashes at Beach 1 and be DONE with that small bag ... and so on.

I don't know of any way that the cruise line would know. And as long as the ashes are not spread on the ship, no one should care

"Over the side "of the ship, I assume you mean...not sure anyone would want their ashes spread "on" the ship.

Ick factor? Do you know what those beautiful white sand beaches are made of?

http://www.newsweek.com/where-does-sand-come-parrotfish-poop-makes-white-beaches-and-now-scientists-714024

Ick factor? Do you know what those beautiful white sand beaches are made of?

http://www.newsweek.com/where-does-sand-come-parrotfish-poop-makes-white-beaches-and-now-scientists-714024

Yes, I'm fully aware of the genesis of coral sand. Just as I'm fully aware of the mineral composition of cremains. Coral sand does not originate from a human being. Cremains do. And while the use of "Ick factor" was probably poorly chosen, I think that their disposal in a public area where they will be disturbed, mixed with the detritus of beach goers, and possibly worn by those playing or lying on the sand is not very respectful of the mortal remains of a loved one. Your opinion may vary.

Most countries have laws regarding the disposition of cremains, and scattering of ashes on public land may be either forbidden or restricted to certain areas. I'm amazed at the number of responses encouraging the OP to simply ignore these, do whatever she wants, and then plead ignorance if she's caught.

I very much hope that the OP can find a legal way of carrying out her wishes, and that this brings her peace.

As far as the ship, only inspection is when getting ON the ship. Your description, that will be one time. Checked or carry on same process. I would think on Xray it would not raise any concern. If anyone "sees" the royal crown bag, it might cause a second look.

While I understand your desire. carrying them into some countries, even without spreading any, could get you in a LOT of trouble.

And I don't think he would want that.

Leave him at home. And make new memories on your own.

Like others have said I think if you try to do the 100% legal way you will have issues. But if you have five places and split into five bags, some checked some carry on you should have no issues if done alone. Also no reason to take all off the ship and bring some back just take what will be left at each port off the ship.

Or as Krazy Kruizers posted

"Make prior arrangements with your cruise line and have a private service to distribute the ashes at sea."

Technically, when you board a flight you need to carry a certificate from the Crematorium that what you are carrying are the remains of your boyfriend. Not sure if the cruiseships require the same documentation. You might want to check rules for the countries that you will be visiting.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/cremated-remains

http://www.frazerconsultants.com/2017/06/quick-guide-traveling-loved-ones-ashes/

http://www.perfectmemorials.com/guides/7-things-you-need-to-know-before-scattering-ashes/

and I would caution that rules in the islands (different governments) may differ .....

A line often attributed to Grace Mary Hopper ......

..... It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission

Outrage is expressed about people not following dress code rules, but it is OK to ignore rules about disposal of human remains. Just sayin. . . .

OP, I think those who advised you work through the proper channels were right on.

Thank you all for your replies. I should clear a few things up.

He passed 6 years ago. He didn't care about laws and was a very free person. Before he died he told me his idea of heaven was the like the happy scene in Titanic. Well a cruise is about as close as I can get. He also didn't care what happened to his body after he died, but I feel like spreading his ashes in places he dreamed of would be the best thing to do.

As for his remains, I actually probably have about 1/8 of them. The rest is distribited between his siblings, parents, and ex wife. He would laugh at the idea of someone being grossed out by his remains. It's literally ashes. Lol we even smoked him in a joint after his service (that he didn't even want).

And they wouldn't be spread in large portions on the beaches, but a small pinch offshore instead. I won't be flying to port but I know not to bring his entire crown royal bag. Lol

Anyway, you all helped more than you know! Thank you so much!