Carnival enforces dress code

jonbgd

I'd like to see it eliminated mostly because Carnival employs it unevenly (ship to ship, day to day) and in a discriminatory manner (against men, never against women). Just be rid of it. Nothing wrong with nice golf / walking shorts on vacation. Enforce the no gym clothing rule.

2012..Spirit, upon boarding,..decision to go to steakhouse on ship Easter night Early...as I signed up.. she gave me a look over with a not in that....not in what you are wearing look..had on casual slacks and tennis shoes..

Thank God suitcase came and same lady at door did look at my feet with relief...black dress sandal low heals, nice black slacks, dressy top. Easter Sunday...next to me a father son duo in new sweats and tennis shoes..hah...it happened as warning to me travelin solo..but not a man my age and son!!

Edited by sjn911

Someone just posted crochet men's shorts on another sight...lol yellow vertical stripe with belt and button pocket..shorter but not as short as 70's basketball shorts...Caption: "Something you probably could bake but shouldn't" . What a category..for dress shorts..LOL...S.

Have seen a kilt worn on cruise elegant night twice.

Including on Wee Jimmy, former CD.

Look, we were pleased that some semblance of the dress code was enforced in the MDR last week, both for cruise casual and elegant. I wore dress shorts/polo a couple nights and was quite comfortable. I would not have considered going less formally dressed than that. Wore a suit/sportscoat for both elegant nights.

Dressing reasonably appropriately for dinner is a sign of respect toward your fellow passengers and the crew. If one chooses not to, there are plenty of totally casual dining options. No different than reasonable workplace dress policies.

• 10 months later...

Update

Just back from the Breeze and the Steakhouse manager EVA said that the dress code enforcement was up to each Manager

Also when we booked with her she said

I hope you don't mind sitting around others, wearing shorts since it will be casual night

There's a difference between the for fee steakhouse and the mdr. The steakhouse (whether it's casual night or formal night in the MDR) is formal attire every night. No shorts. If you don't want to dress formal, don't book it!

There's a difference between the for fee steakhouse and the mdr. The steakhouse (whether it's casual night or formal night in the MDR) is formal attire every night. No shorts. If you don't want to dress formal, don't book it!

--Except, of course, on the first night of the cruise. After all, there is no guarantee that your luggage will have been delivered to your room in time to allow you to change.

Ah but you are so wrong as

I just posted my first hand experience from last week on the Breeze

Maybe you should re-read my post

Update

Just back from the Breeze and the Steakhouse manager EVA said that the dress code enforcement was up to each Manager

Also when we booked with her she said

I hope you don't mind sitting around others, wearing shorts since it will be casual night

An update to a year old post?

Ah but you are so wrong as

I just posted my first hand experience from last week on the Breeze

Maybe you should re-read my post

Ah, but actually you (or more correctly, the manager) is wrong. Those rules are posted by Corporate office and therefore someone as lowly as a Manger of a restaurant does not have the authorization to change them. Sounds like Carnival has a rouge manger on their hands.

An update to a year old post?

YES I could have started a new thread?

Ah, but actually you (or more correctly, the manager) is wrong. Those rules are posted by Corporate office and therefore someone as lowly as a Manger of a restaurant does not have the authorization to change them. Sounds like Carnival has a rouge manger on their hands.

BUT doesn't the manager have bosses that approve this

F&B manager? Hotel director? and every Captain is aware of what goes on aboard his ship

BTW I have never worn shorts in the Steakhouse or for that matter not even mdr for dinner

Hate to say it... but awesome!! Sounds like Carnival is listening. We complained at length in our survey about unenforced dress codes. Half the people had wet bathing suits in the buffet every time we went in there. Some men literally walking around dripping wet with just those tight euro style suits. Might have been ok if they had been eye candy but not the case. At all. Lol. It is just a downward spiral. They have to start enforcing it. Getting changed also motivates people to shower, which was also needed on our last Vista cruise.

Don't have time to read all posts, but it's nice to know the dress code is being enforced in at least the steakhouse because it was disappointing and a joke on the Vista back in July in the MDR at what some people wore to dinner. At least on most of the ships you know the steakhouse will enforce it.

I put together a group trip a few years ago on the Breeze and a dinner in the steakhouse. One of my parents that never wears pants always shorts, even in the winter, balked at wearing pants to steakhouse and was told he had to change. I was the first to laugh at him when they turned him away and said I told you so. Harsh but he was warned.

Manager didn't change the rules; just using discretion whether they adhere rigidly to them or not.

Wait. They have a red feeding trough on Carnival? What is the dress code for eating at that?!?!

Copied and pasted from the Carival FAQ (and yes, it contradicts itself if you read it all) since it says "Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the Main Dining Room" but that "shorts are not permitted"

The Steakhouse

The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the Main Dining Room(s); if the evening is specified as 'Cruise Casual', shorts are not permitted.

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

On the Sunshine last year at the Steakhouse I was told that not only were shorts not allowed nor were "dress" jeans.... yeah I know. But that's what I had. They did allow us to sit at the "bar" and eat the first night we went which I realized was a Elegant night, therefore the no jeans! We went 2 other nights with the jeans (every night I had a jacket and tie) and no problem (we skipped the other elegant night). Great food, looking forward to it this Nov.